• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A&D FX120i labscale reloading upgrade with V2 auto trickler review.

Placed my deposit for complete V3 kit a few days ago. I'm way down on the list but can't wait. I assume sometime next month. For those with V3's, are there any upgrades which make life easier from A419 or are the V3's good to go as they are?

Plenty. Especially like Area 419's clear lid, powder pan and scale tray. The stuff is like crack!

20190713_093940.jpg

Placed my deposit for complete V3 kit a few days ago. I'm way down on the list but can't wait. I assume sometime next month. For those with V3's, are there any upgrades which make life easier from A419 or are the V3's good to go as they are?

The only upgrades I did with my V3 setup was the Lexan lid. Which I think is the best upgrade to do. It’s a lot more thicker, less flex. And being that it’s clear, it allows more light in. I also did the trickler base. It’s heavier. But I think the adjustable base that comes with the V3 AutoTrickler will suffice. I honestly just got the Area 419 ones for aesthetics. Other then that, I really like the glass cup that came with the V3. Works perfectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: LANCER
Received shipping notice on my V2 to V3 upgrade plus the BT electronics board. Was shipped on 9/3 but didn't get notice until today. Sent via UPS. I ordered on way back on 6/26/19. Really looking forward to getting this package.

I ordered an upgrade kit from auto trickled. I also pre-ordered the entire package (scale and all) from CE.

No clue which will get here first ?

Reactions: MarinePMI
I've read through the instructions multiple times but don't see what I'm looking for so maybe someone here can help. I loaded 500 rounds today. About 20 or so rounds required manually trickling up to reach the programmed charge weight. 30.6gr of fine ball powder with the thrower set to 30.3gr roughly. Some of the charges just stop at 30.5gr when the system is set to 30.61gr. Has anyone seen this?

Check and see if you have some stray kernels of powder under your pan.

But no, mine never varies more than .02grs, and that is with cylindrical powder. Ball powder is usually spot on.

Btw, did you configure the trickle speed correctly and set the drop 3grs under charge? Play with the speed lever in the back?

Only time I’ve seen it is when you set the initial drop too close to the final weight.

It’s such a sensitive scale, I believe the inertia from the initial drop can make it think it’s a couple fractions more than it is at first.

Back it down to around 30.0 and see what happens

Reactions: Cascade Hemi
Anyone used the brass reducers on their autotrickler? Anyone see the merit in one? I tend to get overthrows of 0.02 gr every 3-4 but haven't really cared.

Anyone used the brass reducers on their autotrickler? Anyone see the merit in one? I tend to get overthrows of 0.02 gr every 3-4 but haven't really cared.

Isn’t that what the accuracy on them is, 0.02?

If so, might not be anything that will help.

Btw, did you configure the trickle speed correctly and set the drop 3grs under charge? Play with the speed lever in the back?

Probably not. I was in a hurry and needed to get the 500 rounds loaded for an event coming up this week. Thank you for the response.

Only time I’ve seen it is when you set the initial drop too close to the final weight.

It’s such a sensitive scale, I believe the inertia from the initial drop can make it think it’s a couple fractions more than it is at first.

Back it down to around 30.0 and see what happens

I think you're right. I backed the thrower down but it is probably still too close. The thrower is actually accurate enough with ball powder that I could probably get by without trickling.

Reactions: Dthomas3523

I bought inserts for both my auto tricklers to help on over throws. There is a guy here on the hide that makes them for the autotrickler.
E07FA66A-8D31-471F-8001-314B0AC2A75B.jpeg
4616E7EC-AEC3-4550-8CB0-20418E929999.jpeg

The way the stepper motor works on the AutoTrickler you don’t need inserts. That’s what the speed lever is for on the back (as well as the tilt on the base).

Reactions: ed308
As others have said, if getting over throws try the below in this order:

1. Reducing the volume initially thrown
2. Reduce the speed via the lever on the back of the scale
3. Ensure the trickler tube is at or just above parallel to the powder pan so any extra kernels of powder can't fall into the pan based on inertia

I had to do all three when I first got the V2 as I was going over every other throw.

Reactions: ed308
I think you're right. I backed the thrower down but it is probably still too close. The thrower is actually accurate enough with ball powder that I could probably get by without trickling.

I loaded 70 more rounds. I backed the thrower down to 30.10. It drops 30.06 to 30.16. I varied the speed setting. I still had two charges stop short, 30.55 and 30.50. No over charges. I believe the trickler is set up correctly (slightly upward). I'll email Adam and see what he says. I'm not sure of it related but I am dispensing a set 30.61gr and the system mostly stopped at 30.58. I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference but I think I should probably ask for clarification.

Cascade Hemi...what pan are you using with the scale, the stock pan? or the area 419? If your using a 419 pan, try loading with the stock pan.

I bought the Autotrickler V2 with complete Area 419 kit from CE. It was on sale at that time. Then a couple weeks after the V3 showed up. The Area 419 kit is top notch. The only concern I have is the 3D printed autothrow. Hopefully the V3 autothrow will be compatible with the area 419 accessories. The Autotrickler V2 has worked as advertised for me.

Cascade Hemi...what pan are you using with the scale, the stock pan? or the area 419? If your using a 419 pan, try loading with the stock pan.

Yes and that did cross my mind. I won't be able to get back to it for another week or two.

If I bump the table when it’s within a grain you can make it think it went up to the charge weight and stop dispensing. If it stops far enough short it should resume again.

Just whack the table hard and watch it bounce up and down .2 grains right there. Breathing or a movement to cause a draft will do it too.

Tilt the trickler up or down a bit or increase the trickle speed. I experienced that same thing once and the tilt fixed it.

Has anyone ever received a reply from Adam when emailing him? I've emailed him twice with a couple simple questions and can't even get a response. I didn't see a phone number to call anywhere on his site, so email was the only choice. Also, has anyone ordered the complete V3 system from the new US distributor and how long was the delivery time? Thanks, Todd

Adam might be traveling, the F Class US Nationals are next week, one of my co workers is going.

Last edited:
I sent an email to Adam around the first of August to inquire about my order (V3 upgrade with BT board) and when it would ship. Got a response the next day for the projected date my order would ship. My order took around 9 weeks (order 6/26/19; received early 9/2019). I'm sure they're swapped with orders plus waiting for the product to be manufactured.

It looks like I had two separate issues. The scales would stop short of a full charge weight because of vibrations on the bench. The bench is bolted to the wall and doesn't move but the press handle moving is enough to make the scale think more powder is dripping than actually is. The solution is to throw a lower charger weight and let the machine trickle longer while I operate the press.

The second issue is most of the charges with ball powder stop .02gr short of the programmed charge weight. I think this is intentional because the system is trying to predict over charges with stick powder. Throwing charges of I4064 or RL26 doesn't have the same issue because a kernel of powder is .02gr on its own so they are more naturally +/-.02gr instead of just -.02gr with ball powder. The solution is to set the charge weight slightly higher for ball powder.

I set up both the 419 funnel and tray as well as the original tray with the AT glass cup and boomerang. I did not see a difference in throw performance.

Converted my V2 Auto Throw to the V3 Auto Throw with BT board. I somehow missed in the instructions the V3 uses a different belt. Finally found the new belt hidden in the powder lid that comes with the kit. I missed it since I'm using by Area 419 Powder canister instead of the one that comes with the kit. Once I got the belt installed I was up and running. No problems connecting to the BT via an iPad. Plan to thrown some charges tomorrow. But really liking this upgrade so far.

ordered my V3 upgrade from Adam on July 22nd, it's been 8 weeks this past Monday....crickets :(

Mine took 5 or 6 weeks, but I think I may have ordered a month or so before most of you guys. Just be patient, it's definitely worth waiting for. You don't have to work up sample charges anymore because of the Bluetooth weight setting capabilities. And, no more priming the trickler manually (that was a pain in the ass and a big deal to me).

I love mine, it's the cat's ass (y) (y) (y)

edit; FWIW, I ordered directly from Adam. I've had to get his help in the past and he has always been really, really good to work with. He may be suffering from too much success and it could be slowing him down.

did you order directly from Adam ?

Yes I did. Ordered the Auto Throw V3 and Bluetooth board on June 26, 2019 and received around September 6, 2019 via UPS. So 9-10 weeks. Shipping was really fast compared to when I order the V2 stuff last year.

He's probably swamped with orders and waiting to get the product before he can ship. Very impressed with the new Auto Throw. Really disliked the Lee Powder drum in the old V2 Auto Throw. And the new BT board is is slick.

Trust me, it's worth the wait.

I'll add, I sent a message to Adam the other night when I couldn't get my Auto Throw to run. I knew the problem was the belt. I missed that I needed to switch the old belt with a new smaller belt. I eventually found a smaller belt in the stuff that was sent. The new belt was hidden in the powder throw canister lid which I didn't use since I used my Area 419 canister. But his wife responded within an hour of sending the email to her. Forget the Facebook page. I don't think they monitor that site as much.

The quality of the new Auto Throw housing is similar to Area 419's. Superb machining. The Bluetooth board as well. The instruction manual that comes with it also well written.

Last edited:
Reactions: quest450
Received my upgrade kit today after an exactly two month wait (ordered 19 July).

Took 10min to get the parts moved over along with the A419 bits.

Think I'm actually going to use the Autothrow powder hopper as it's shorter and the A419 one is really tight on the Autothrow housing.

Now what to do with all the V2 parts....

Received my upgrade kit today after an exactly two month wait (ordered 19 July).

Took 10min to get the parts moved over along with the A419 bits.

Think I'm actually going to use the Autothrow powder hopper as it's shorter and the A419 one is really tight on the Autothrow housing.

Now what to do with all the V2 parts....
I had the same issue with the A419 hopper. I took a small file and worked on the corners of the auto throw where the hopper attaches. Keep checking the fit during the process. Now the A419 hopper fits like a glove.

My Area 419 housing is a little tight too, but not so much that it doesn't slide in. It was too loose on the V2 housing. No alterations needed on mine.

I used the link on Adam's page and ordered my complete V3 setup from CE Products. Is the turn around from them also about 8-9 weeks? I received an email confirming my order but that has been all thus far. Only ordered back on 9/5 though.

I read a post on Autotricker's Facebook site the newer orders are taking around 6 weeks. Sounds like production is getting ramped up and they are getting caught up. But then you might have to wait for the scale. Not sure of their production status.

Reactions: JW74