• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Am I overthinking a new 223 bolt?

Narsus

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2018
Hey all,

I've recently moved from VA to AL. I used to have access to a 1000yd range, but now I'm down to 600yds max.

I was originally thinking about getting a new 6mm CM, but this has changed to a new 223 bolt. It will be inexpensive to shoot, won't burn the barrel, and be a good compliment to rifles I already own. This rifle is for bench and prone shooting and maybe a match or two a year.

What are my factory options? (I've only come up with two)
  • Tikka CTR (I could always drop it in a Bravo eventually)
  • Howa Oryx
Another question, would building one be an option without breaking the bank?
I'd really like to be under $1500 ideally closer to $1000.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Personally Id do the CTR and toss it in a Bravo down the road like you said. I've played with my buddies enough to almost not be bothered building one if I ever did a bolt 223.

On the other hand.
-Walmart Remington 700adl special $375
-KRG Bravo $400
-Remage barrel (many brands) and nut $400
-Trigger of choice approx (middle tier) $150
-Misc tools to build $70
Total $1395 if you didnt source anything from the PX

Either way would work great and have upgrade capabilities just about equal to eachother. Just depends on if you want to tinker and build it yourself or just buy and shoot.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the Howa

Reactions: Narsus
Do you hand load? Another option is a Ruger precision rifle.

9 twist & 73 Berger gets you to 600 easy.
1/2 size IPSC @ 750 is boringly repeatable.
First 5 rds @ 100
DA571C8B-305B-4136-AFE9-A8C138AEA173.jpeg

Second 5 rds @ 200
98C5FEF3-B2A9-46B5-9AEE-4F8559A73842.jpeg
D072AAAD-6B53-4CED-9039-44B558E855AD.jpeg

Third 5 rds @ 100
C1AAFEEC-2181-4FF4-965F-794AF3E77C85.jpeg

Stock 700, 5R, 20”, 223, isn’t even bedded.
Berger 73 Match BT, virgin brass
4BDCCAA8-5552-4645-A6C8-E4C78874B9C0.jpeg

Working on an 80 gr load for 223 RPR, isn’t quite ready for release yet but really close.

Reactions: Narsus and b6graham
I did my 223 build last year and have been extremely pleased with it. The criterion barrel I have has been outstanding with Hornady 73gr & 75gr ELD-M's as well as SMK 69 & 77.

Although it willcost a little more than a factory rifle, I feel the slight cost increase yields better dividends long term.

Krg Bravo = $400
Criterion 223 Wylde barrel w/ nut & lug = $400
Rem 700 action = $310
Trigger du jour = $150-$300
MDT ploymer mag = $40

$1300 to $1450

Reactions: Narsus
Do you hand load? Another option is a Ruger precision rifle.

I don't hand load, I'm about a year away from that (buying a new home next summer and I'll have the room).

If I choose to build and get a 700 action, where would be a good place to purchase it? Are there brands? or are all from Remington?

I don't hand load, I'm about a year away from that (buying a new home next summer and I'll have the room).

If I choose to build and get a 700 action, where would be a good place to purchase it? Are there brands? or are all from Remington?

There are ways to get ammo loaded w/o loading it yourself.

$1k or under, RPR 223 will do what you are asking.

Price fluctuates from $275-$325 just check the link periodically and snag one when under $300

Price fluctuates from $275-$325 just check the link periodically and snag one when under $300

You're the best.

Thanks!

Reactions: bunsen27
I would either do a Remington 700 Remage build or get a Tikka Varmint 223 and drop it into a chassis. What features did the CTR offer you that the Varmint didn't? I know the CTR has a threaded barrel, and I think the CTR's barrel is shorter?

I would either do a Remington 700 Remage build or get a Tikka Varmint 223 and drop it into a chassis. What features did the CTR offer you that the Varmint didn't? I know the CTR has a threaded barrel, and I think the CTR's barrel is shorter?

I have a can in jail right now, so I need a threaded barrel.

You could do a full on custom rifle for $1700. It would take some shopping around.

There were a few used 223 Varmints in the for sale section on here. I bought mine with 700 rounds on it.

+1

I bought mine in the for sale section here. It's definitely worth looking into. Might find one with a threaded barrel for sale.

I’ll probably be alone on this recommendation but I love my Ruger Americans Predator 223. I’ve put money into it as funds allowed. But for $400, add a scope, scope rings, and a cheek riser, and do some DIY stuff, and you’ve got a 1/2 MOA rifle.

With some money spent, but mostly with doing stuff yourself, the action can feel very smooth. I enjoy working on things with my own hands so to me doing DIY stuff is enjoyable

Pros:
—Accurate. Under 1/2 MOA with factory ammo, my handloads are closer to 1/4 MOA, +/- alittle depending on me/my shooting
—Threaded barrel
—Very usable factory trigger with some work done-mine is at 2 pounds, no creep. Timney available if desired.
—3 lug, 70 degree bolt throw (I personally hate 90 degree bolt throw)
—Decent amount of aftermarket support, and gaining more options often (still nowhere near r700 level aftermarket support though)
—Factory stock for Gen 2 models uses AR15 magazines if you’d like something like that, I personally prefer AICS magazines though.

Cons:
—Factory stock definitely leaves things to be desired, but with some DIY work and a cheek riser can be very functional
—Requires some polishing of the bolt to smooth out re-cocking action

I’ve taken mine with my handloads of 73gr ELD-m out to 1,000 yards, averaging an 80% hit rate on a 16” gong. Hitting 700 yards is honestly boringly repeatable, but still fun nonetheless.

Group pictured is my handloads, 5 shots at 100 yards. Also chronograph data with Starline virgin brass, Federal 205m primer, Varget, and 73gr eld-m seated 0.005” off the lands.

Also pictured is how the rifle looks now (in the Indian Creek Design MoFo Chassis) ....and how it looked before in the factory stock with some modifications I made

Attachments

• 812D720E-7417-48FF-A69B-3242DD6A9FBA.jpeg
    812D720E-7417-48FF-A69B-3242DD6A9FBA.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 6AD9C750-0748-4B0B-A8DE-B7EB8AAC6CD5.jpeg
    6AD9C750-0748-4B0B-A8DE-B7EB8AAC6CD5.jpeg
    666.3 KB · Views: 93
  • CD58434D-537E-48FC-A53F-C3391B347D5A.jpeg
    CD58434D-537E-48FC-A53F-C3391B347D5A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
  • 3718AE65-5F39-41EA-9352-DE8C48046B02.png
    3718AE65-5F39-41EA-9352-DE8C48046B02.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
I’ll probably be alone on this recommendation but I love my Ruger Americans Predator 223. I’ve put money into it as funds allowed. But for $400, add a scope, scope rings, and a cheek riser, and do some DIY stuff, and you’ve got a 1/2 MOA rifle.

With some money spent, but mostly with doing stuff yourself, the action can feel very smooth. I enjoy working on things with my own hands so to me doing DIY stuff is enjoyable

Pros:
—Accurate. Under 1/2 MOA with factory ammo, my handloads are closer to 1/4 MOA, +/- alittle depending on me/my shooting
—Threaded barrel
—Very usable factory trigger with some work done-mine is at 2 pounds, no creep. Timney available if desired.
—3 lug, 70 degree bolt throw (I personally hate 90 degree bolt throw)
—Decent amount of aftermarket support, and gaining more options often (still nowhere near r700 level aftermarket support though)
—Factory stock for Gen 2 models uses AR15 magazines if you’d like something like that, I personally prefer AICS magazines though.

Cons:
—Factory stock definitely leaves things to be desired, but with some DIY work and a cheek riser can be very functional
—Requires some polishing of the bolt to smooth out re-cocking action

I’ve taken mine with my handloads of 73gr ELD-m out to 1,000 yards, averaging an 80% hit rate on a 16” gong. Hitting 700 yards is honestly boringly repeatable, but still fun nonetheless.

Group pictured is my handloads, 5 shots at 100 yards. Also chronograph data with Starline virgin brass, Federal 205m primer, Varget, and 73gr eld-m seated 0.005” off the lands.

Also pictured is how the rifle looks now (in the Indian Creek Design MoFo Chassis) ....and how it looked before in the factory stock with some modifications I made
Which chassis is that?

Which chassis is that?

Indian Creek Design MoFo (Modular Fore end) chassis. Made in Idaho. Base retail price without sales is around $400 with the Tommy and Slimmy fore ends...$430 with the HERO AR Handguard adapter....and $450 with the Johnny fore end that has M-lok slots running the length of the fore end on all 3 sides, and an Arca Swiss rail running the length of the bottom. I’m running the Johnny fore end on both of my chassis’s...one of them started out with the Tommy, but I switched the Tommy fore end out to the Johnny when the Johnny was released.

ICD also makes a folding stock adapter, a replacement bolt shroud with built in bubble level, an a buttstock called the P-body that is similar to an XLR buttstock

Indian Creek Design MoFo (Modular Fore end) chassis. Made in Idaho. Base retail price without sales is around $400 with the Tommy and Slimmy fore ends...$430 with the HERO AR Handguard adapter....and $450 with the Johnny fore end that has M-lok slots running the length of the fore end on all 3 sides, and an Arca Swiss rail running the length of the bottom. I’m running the Johnny fore end on both of my chassis’s...one of them started out with the Tommy, but I switched the Tommy fore end out to the Johnny when the Johnny was released.

ICD also makes a folding stock adapter, a replacement bolt shroud with built in bubble level, an a buttstock called the P-body that is similar to an XLR buttstock
Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Backcountryguy
It cost me $100 to get my Varmint barrel threaded. It has a longer, heavier barrel than the CTR.

It's looking like this is the most bang for the buck.

So I'm thinking Tikka Varmit, and a KRG Bravo stock.
I can thread the barrel later, I'm still waiting on my can anyway.

What mags are good for the Tikka Bravo combo?

Mine is in a German Gun Stock with Mountain Tactical AICS bottom metal and the MDT 10 round AICS mags feed great with a little work on the feed lips. I am loading to 2.49" COAL right now and have room to go longer.

I have a T3x in .223, and I just got a Bravo for it. The MDT .223 AISC mag works well for me, although it does have a fail bit of play in the magwell, so you can't put pressure on it.
IMG_20190830_173909663.jpg

I have a T3x in .223, and I just got a Bravo for it. The MDT .223 AISC mag works well for me, although it does have a fail bit of play in the magwell, so you can't put pressure on it. View attachment 7139403
I was just fighting mine with the "fair bit of play" thing in the magwell. Easy fix - remove the barreled action, loosen the trigger guard retaining screw, and slide the trigger guard forward ~1/8" to tighten up the magazine fit in the well. Mine was sloppy enough that it wouldn't alway pick up the next round from the mag, and that problem is now gone.

Absolutely, the Varmint, KRG Bravo and MDT .223 AISC mag combo is the dirt simple, cost-effective way to go. I liked my .223 so much that I got a 6.5 CM big brother for it.
You may have already mentioned this and I missed it, but what glass do you have for it?

Absolutely, the Varmint, KRG Bravo and MDT .223 AISC mag combo is the dirt simple, cost-effective way to go. I liked my .223 so much that I got a 6.5 CM big brother for it.
You may have already mentioned this and I missed it, but what glass do you have for it?

I'm thinking an Ares ETR, not positive though, it's in the right price range.

Reactions: padom
I recently went through the same drill. The Tikka action is hard to argue as is the overall accuracy of their barrels. After too many hours/days of research I determined the Varmint action/barrel combination was the best value factoring in $125 to have the barrel threaded 5/8x24. Once the accuracy potential was confirmed I ordered the KRG Bravo stock, a $10 trigger spring (1lb 4oz consistently crisp break) and couldn't be more satisfied in the rifle's feel, function, and accuracy. Tikka's are a very good value IMO, as are the Ares ETR optics.

i-HTSXNxP-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I recently went through the same drill. The Tikka action is hard to argue as is the overall accuracy of their barrels. After too many hours/days of research I determined the Varmint action/barrel combination was the best value factoring in $125 to have the barrel threaded 5/8x24. Once the accuracy potential was confirmed I ordered the KRG Bravo stock, a $10 trigger spring (1lb 4oz consistently crisp break) and couldn't be more satisfied in the rifle's feel, function, and accuracy. Tikka's are a very good value IMO, as are the Ares ETR optics.

i-HTSXNxP-XL.jpg

That's a sweet rifle... thinking about it for a trainer.

Reactions: Sieg

If you go Tika take a look at the Sterk bolt handle. I put one on my T1X and it is the tits!! He makes one for the T3X and the next batch is in process.

@cannoncrossfire

Reactions: cannoncrossfire