• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Another dumb cerakote question

TORKAR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2009
York, Pennsyltucky
Alright fellas, this is probably a dumb question but i'm sure someone here knows the answer. I have 2 870's that I plan on having coated in the near future. One has a surefire forend and i'm wondering if the baking will mess up the internal components of the light.

I contemplated an air dry finish but one of the shotguns is going to be bouncing around in my vehicle and i'd like to use the most durable finish.

Any input would be helpful.

Re: Another dumb cerakote question

Well, I have not used Cerakote on any non-metal surfaces. I have used KG on rifle stocks and some plastics with good results. What I do is instead of baking at the high temp and taking the chance of melting, I reduce the temp and bake it longer. I am not sure if this will work for your application but it is a thought.....

Good luck
Robb

Get C-series done on any parts you cant bake. Its still extremely strong.

The bake temp for H series is pretty low so you migth be fine. Dont know much about those light but I dont think baking a light would do it much good.

I would not bake my 6198FA, the internal wiring and solder are not up to it IMO.

I'd use C-series.