• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Picture Thread - All Other Semi-Autos

"Like quite a bit" is an understatement.

My own 1989-import SG 550-2 was instrumental in helping me get a very cool gig 24 years ago. What passed as skill on my part was actually totally attributable to my shooting a far superior, much more accurate rifle.

"Like quite a bit" is an understatement.

My own 1989-import SG 550-2 was instrumental in helping me get a very cool gig 24 years ago. What passed as skill on my part was actually totally attributable to my shooting a far superior, much more accurate rifle.
Interesting. You like em more than AR15's?

Whats the barrel contour on them like?

Today, I'd choose a custom AR' over any standard assault rifle for most applications. But that doesn't make the Swiss rifles any less appealing to me. The Swiss SG 550 series weapons are IMO the absolute finest assault rifles ever made.

The SG-550 rifle barrels are hammer forged, chrome lined, with a fairly light profile.

Last edited:
Reactions: LRRPF52
Today, I'd choose a custom AR' over an SG-550 series rifle for most applications. But that doesn't make the Swiss rifles any less appealing to me.

The SG-550 rifle barrels are hammer forged, chrome lined, with a fairly light profile.
1) Maybe you've already said and I missed it. Have you ran any match loads through them? If so...how was the groups??

2) Also, are the little 552/553's all you've shot? Or have you shot any of the longer barrel 550's/551's? If so, how was the accuracy?

3) Sorry for so many questions & I really appreciate you replying. Have you ever ran any of the Swiss ammo? How'd it shoot compared to M855/M193?

4) Have you ran M855A1 yet(in a AR or any .223/5.56 rifle for that matter? If so - how'd it shoot and did you get to test it much re: vs. ballistic gel, or body armor, etc..???

Thanks again sir!

Hi,

With the recent Swiss laws coming into play, I hope someone can negotiate a Manufacturing License Agreement from SANs and produce their product line here in the States.
I just do not like semi's enough to go after that..I don't think.....maybe....

@MSTN have you ever thought about that route for yourself?

Sincerely,
Theis

Thank you, but to set up as a full scale manufacturer is well beyond the sort of project I plan to undertake in my retirement years.

I've read that the Swiss are required to get incredible 24 round groups at 300 meters from a machine rest in order to qualify a true STG 90 barrel. Of course, I have no way of knowing if the barrels made for commercial consumption are so rigorously tested, but I would imagine that they are at a minimum manufactured the same manner, on the same equipment.

My own experience with a SG 553 equipped with a low power variable scope and ASYM 77 SMK at 250 yards are very convincing. I'll accept MOA five shot groups at that distance from an 8.9" barrel, thank you.

Almost 30 years ago, with the proper 62 grain Swiss ammo, I could get groups hovering around MOA with iron sights on my SG 550 SP2 off the bench. I'd have to mount a serious optic to even attempt to shoot groups at this point in life.

Some of the parts available to convert a SG 553 P to an ATF 922r compliant rifle or SBR:

IMG_8248.jpeg
IMG_8250.jpeg

My saiga .308. I’ve only taken it out a few times but it always puts a smile on my face shooting it. I’m debating on doing a pistol grip conversion.

Attachments

• 3A383DCB-0A9E-4463-8279-A3CD83BEBA98.jpeg
    3A383DCB-0A9E-4463-8279-A3CD83BEBA98.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: OldSF MJT
My SCAR 17s complete system. This took me over 7 years to compile all 3 .308 barrel assemblys,SBR the rifle,and finally have a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel installed on a OEM gas block/receiver extension/bottom metal.. The NF 2.5x10x24 I purchased from MSTN back in 2005.
SCAR 17 6.5 CM.jpg
Scar System (2).jpg

Specs/details?
@theLBC - I meant what size groups does it produce? Sounds like you aint shot for groups yet tho? Tho If you dont wanna disclose cause you feel someone might call BS thats fine
if i get video or something i will post it, but anyone can post a picture of a target and give whatever details they want, so I try to avoid that. besides, i don't want folks to think it is a crappy rifle just because i can shoot worth a schiff. :p

Just my MSR-10. Hoping to have it back from Savage very soon!

if i get video or something i will post it, but anyone can post a picture of a target and give whatever details they want, so I try to avoid that. besides, i don't want folks to think it is a crappy rifle just because i can shoot worth a schiff. :p
10-4
How hard does it kick and what would you compare it to recoil-wise?

10-4
How hard does it kick and what would you compare it to recoil-wise?
to me, recoil is incredibly light for a .308, but that is compared to a winchester model 88 levergun that kicks hard.

an experienced long range shooter from this forum that can compare it directly to several AR-10s said this:

3. Recoil: This depends a lot on configuration weight, muzzle device, and internals. Which one recoils less? The SCAR. By a small with flash hiders and a large margin with suppressor. The SCAR in stock configuration has an unpleasant recoil "Slap" because the aluminum stock transmits the force compared to the 17's polymer stock but is very soft otherwise. Putting a softer buffer completely removes this. MOTOtech makes one or I cut a piece of sorbothane and added it to the stock buffer. The SR25's are smooth shooting for sure. No jump, no slap. They just kick harder.
Winner: SCAR

his post here: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/kac-sr25-ecr-m110-or-fnh-scar-20s.6940476/#post-7804141

i am using a Surefire muzzle brake, so this reduces recoil even more.

Specs/details?
@theLBC - I meant what size groups does it produce? Sounds like you aint shot for groups yet tho? Tho If you dont wanna disclose cause you feel someone might call BS thats fine

guess that was meant for me for specs and groups?
Tan Gun
CMMG dedicated 9mm lower
Binary trigger
CMMG upper
4.5 inch Colt barrel
MAS Defense handguards
Black Gun
CMMG lower
Standard gun really with 10.5 inch barrel and A1upper. It was originally built to clone an XM177 but have changed direction with it. I have only test fired that gun but will sit down and see what it does on paper after deer season closes and I shoot on my range again. Deer meat is better than shooting paper or steel to me. Both guns are registered SBRs on Form 1s
5B1A5B7F-D5C3-44FB-AE95-FB4832D5302E.jpeg

Hi,

A rather unique design :)
@brianf

View attachment 7094552

Sincerely,
Theis
you might want to hide those serial #'s

Reactions: nikonNUT
Almost forgot this thing was in the safe. This is the surprise gun at the range. Everyone thinks just another standard ar until I pull the trigger and launches 350 grains of magic
50 Beowulf
3B632132-B0BA-47A9-A521-E4D849E31B08.jpeg

Reactions: Sandhog308 and aam