• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Anybody running a 7mm-300 Win Mag by any chance??? Care to share some insights on a buld?

HOGTOOTH5R

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
DFW, TEXAS
I'm putting together some future plans for my Remington 5R in .300 WM when it's finally shot out. I've been reading a lot on the .284/7mm Bullets and it's slowly but surely growing on me. I know there's 7mm Rem Mag and others out there but the one that caught my eye is the 7mm-300 Win Mag which uses the .300 WM casing neck down to fit the 7mm. This would be ideal for me since I have so much .300 WM Brass already.

Can you guys share some thoughts and insights on this round? will it be a improvement over the .300 WM? What are the performance/benefits of this caliber or the lack of?

Please share some builds, ballistics, Barrel Type and Twist Rate if you have one or some information on a build.

Thanks so much and looking forward to all the feedbacks!

Sincerely

HOG

Look up 7 Rogue
Shot my mule deer last year @ 841yds with it.
180gr Berger at 3100 out of a 26" barrel

Yes, using a Rogue.
No problem with dies. I have a sizing die from Travis, and use a 7 Rem Mag micro sweater.
The 841 yard shot was taken with virgin non fireformed brass.
Otherwise, go with a std 7 Rem mag which will get you 3000fps with the 180's

"Good info here: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag? - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Just got one back from GAP. Bartlien #3 SS w/ 1/8.5 twist, finished at 28" plus a Vais brake puts it right at 29.5" and screwed into a Rem. action trued up by Francis "The Animal" Kuehl. "Stock Doc" Joe Ducos is performing his magic on the original 1980 BDL wood stock. (I'm sentimental.....it was my "goto" gun as a 7mm Mag and killed everything I ever shot at) A Timney set at 1.5lbs is crisp and steady. Can't wait to get it dialed in. It's going to CO this year for elk. Gonna sit my fat ass on a mountain top and survey my domain and let the air out of anything that comes into range!

I had the same stick done up w/ a factory take off 7mm RM bbl. and reamed to 300WM that I bought for $50 to see if I liked the round and I did indeed! Even the paper weight of a bbl. shot into 1.25MOA w/ 180 Bergers at 3050 fps with H1000. Took it to Africa last year and it was plenty accurate for those distances. I put about 1000 rounds thru it before deciding to get a premium bbl. and build. Used RCBS 7mmRM neck die and 300WM FLS and seater w/ the 7MM stem inserted. Kinda bubble gum and bailing wire, I know, but it worked and didn't cost extra. I'm thinking a new 300WM sizer bushing die and micrometer seater is in order for the new stick. The fact that expensive dies are NOT needed was a big deal for me and choosing the caliber in the first place. That, and the glowing report that Kiwi Nate and Broz on LRH gave the round. Besides, I like odd ball rounds.

Hoping for a little more velocity out of this new bbl. I'm SURE it will be more accurate! I have some of the 175g Accubond LR on hand and am really excited about trying them out. The old stick shot into .6 MOA w/ 160g Accubonds at around 3100-3200 fps.

I think you'll like the round if you shoot LR. Good luck with it.

"Good info here: Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag? - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Just got one back from GAP. Bartlien #3 SS w/ 1/8.5 twist, finished at 28" plus a Vais brake puts it right at 29.5" and screwed into a Rem. action trued up by Francis "The Animal" Kuehl. "Stock Doc" Joe Ducos is performing his magic on the original 1980 BDL wood stock. (I'm sentimental.....it was my "goto" gun as a 7mm Mag and killed everything I ever shot at) A Timney set at 1.5lbs is crisp and steady. Can't wait to get it dialed in. It's going to CO this year for elk. Gonna sit my fat ass on a mountain top and survey my domain and let the air out of anything that comes into range!

I had the same stick done up w/ a factory take off 7mm RM bbl. and reamed to 300WM that I bought for $50 to see if I liked the round and I did indeed! Even the paper weight of a bbl. shot into 1.25MOA w/ 180 Bergers at 3050 fps with H1000. Took it to Africa last year and it was plenty accurate for those distances. I put about 1000 rounds thru it before deciding to get a premium bbl. and build. Used RCBS 7mmRM neck die and 300WM FLS and seater w/ the 7MM stem inserted. Kinda bubble gum and bailing wire, I know, but it worked and didn't cost extra. I'm thinking a new 300WM sizer bushing die and micrometer seater is in order for the new stick. The fact that expensive dies are NOT needed was a big deal for me and choosing the caliber in the first place. That, and the glowing report that Kiwi Nate and Broz on LRH gave the round. Besides, I like odd ball rounds.

Hoping for a little more velocity out of this new bbl. I'm SURE it will be more accurate! I have some of the 175g Accubond LR on hand and am really excited about trying them out. The old stick shot into .6 MOA w/ 160g Accubonds at around 3100-3200 fps.

I think you'll like the round if you shoot LR. Good luck with it.

That sounds like an Awesome New Stick you got there! Yes, I definitely like this cartridge and for all of the reasons you've listed which is why I am seriously considering this as the next evolution of my .300 WM 5R in the future. I just started getting into reloading so it'll take some time to get all of the normal stuff down before moving on to Odd Ball ones. Thanks for the great info sir!

Ill second the notion above. LRH.com has a lot of good info and helpful people. No drag on Mr Frank, but as Snipershide has gotten more popular it has attracted a lot of non-shooters, LRH has a very nice ratio of shooters:non-shooters.

Idaho CTD has built a few and shoots one. He has at least one reamer and could likely help you with this cartridge. He is on SH. look him up.

best
Idahoorion