• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Anyone build a badass super accurate 10/22?

tlsmith22

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
ALABAMA
I have an old stock one I’d like to play with and was wondering if anyone had built up a super accurate one? I want to shoot it suppressed and was thinking a Kidd threaded barrel would be nice as well as a drop in trigger. Post up some thoughts and pics

I have one build off a regular Action with a 16” threaded Bartlein from the group buy on here a couple years ago some trigger upgrades. It still has a crappy stock but it’s a hammer. I’m trying to decide what to upgrade the stock to.

My first (and favorite) of three 10/22 builds is this one:

The only major change so for is an expensive Proof Research barrel:

I need to drive up to Champion's Choice so I can buy some top-end ammo for testing since SWFA screwed me over on my Eley order. The Proof barrel still is having some cold bore drops on the first round. The prior Fedderson barrel did not have a first round issue. Another shooter (better than I) was able to get a 3/4 inch 100 yard group out of it after the last NRL22 match using one mag of Wolf Match Extra.

If the stock 10/22 were mine, I'd order a Feddersen bull barrel and a Kidd 2-stage trigger for it. You can either modify the stock to fit the bull barrel or pickup another stock.

Yep, sent Clarks Customs (the originator of the accurate 10/22) a check and a build list. Two months after I was winning matches and cracking smiles. I tried the build your own method. Its all in the barrel chamber and ammo testing. FYI, don't bother testing ammo if you can't buy the same lot that preforms well. It cost me more building my own than what they charged me turn key. Hope this helps.

Many have sent a stock 10/22, preferably a LVT, to Randy at CPC ( Connecticut Precision Chambering ). I have a 17hm2 with a Volquartsen tensioned barrel and hm2 specific bolt that is a true tack driver. KIDD is top notch also but it's all about getting every piece the co-habitat correctly. Randy is the best.

Reactions: Westcoast308
I have 2 very good older kidd SS bull barrels. sub 1/4" at 50y. so about a year and a half ago i ordered a chromoly 16" threaded bull. it was a horrible turd. kidd did replace it, but the replacement they sent barely shot 1/2" at 50y with lapua ammo. everything else was worse. i have a factory 10/22 stainless carbine barrel that shoots better than both those 2 kidd barrels did. i dont know if they had a batch of chomoly barrels that were turds, but i would stay away from the chromoly kidd barrels if i were you. kidd did not respond to my emails after i informed them the 2nd barrel was sub par. personally, if i were to buy another new barrel i would buy a clark. those guys rock. and i am fairly local to kidd so i was pretty disappointed in them. i would still buy trigger kits from them, but from now on i am staying away from their barrels. ymmv.

My KIDD supergrades give me the least headaches of my 10/22's. That being said, I still get occasional headaches using them from the number of stoppages from failure to eject due to the standard velocity power of yellow box SK+ and red box Rifle match ammo failing to cycle the bolt completely. Amazingly, CCI SV runs a little more reliably in them, just get too much of an ES with CCI to trust it. This is even with a 10% less power KIDD bolt spring installed. I guess they just don't like the SK lube.

Reading back through what I just wrote I should try the hotter loaded ELEY Edge or SK Long range to see if this problem goes away. Otherwise they are reliable in feeding and extracting and the KIDD stainless barrels are definitely shoot under 1/2" at 50 yards.

Depends on what you want to do with the rifle. As previously stated by KEvin1, Joe Chacon builds very accurate bench rest guns and CPC makes factory guns run reliably and sometimes even improves accuracy depending on the ruger barrel lottery (I have a CPC'd 10/22 and that was a great value add to a stock rifle). Is this going to be a match gun or a back of the truck ranch plinker?

With that all said, I've been using the Vudoo for matches a lot more lately as I know it is reliable, just heavier by about 40%.

Go for a summit rifle :) https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/1387

1565074551340.png

Reactions: cab0154
When they came out with the 50th anniversary addition I finally bought one and built one off that.
Used a Hogue overmold stock, Tac-Sol threaded barrel and the Ruger drop in replacement trigger topped with a Nikon 3-9 BDC rim fire scope.
It loves the S-K Std + and R-50 ammo and if I remember correctly is at 4.5lbs all in.

Kidd supergrade and don't look back. That's an edge to edge measurement on 5 shots at 50 yards. If you and a Kidd lose to a Vudoo, it wasn't the Kidd. That's my experience.
IMG_2669.JPG

I have a couple 10/22s, my most accurate is a Tactical Innovations receiver with a Green Mountain barrel. I just got 2nd place at my local benchrest .22 comp with it, coming in 2nd to a fully custom Voodoo. I only lost by a few points, one shot from the win.

I built it with off the shelf parts, I don't think you can beat it for the price.

Reactions: dash4cash
Many have sent a stock 10/22, preferably a LVT, to Randy at CPC ( Connecticut Precision Chambering ). I have a 17hm2 with a Volquartsen tensioned barrel and hm2 specific bolt that is a true tack driver. KIDD is top notch also but it's all about getting every piece the co-habitat correctly. Randy is the best.
Best $250 I’ve ever spent was with Randy at CPC he had the gun back to my door in 3-weeks too! No cherry picking just went out and shot 50yrd 10-shot groups with plain CCI standard, Green Tag, Mini-mags, Aguila super extra one after another. The rifle is bone stock no parts got thrown into a box. I’ll post a one hole 5-shot group when I get some match ammo. For now the rifle only has about 300 rounds through it and shoots everything pretty well. The action is noticeably smoother after Randy worked it over and it’s been 100% reliable verses it had a couple hiccups brand new. PS the groups looked better till I tore the targets off the cardboard. 😂

Attachments

• 352D79A6-2874-423D-9E8F-13FF6DC1FF47.jpeg
    352D79A6-2874-423D-9E8F-13FF6DC1FF47.jpeg
    496.8 KB · Views: 41
  • F8A6355C-AF0C-4CC1-8836-D18E82CE64D7.jpeg
    F8A6355C-AF0C-4CC1-8836-D18E82CE64D7.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 81F67A72-0084-4EFC-8BEE-F36BD4BDAD9A.jpeg
    81F67A72-0084-4EFC-8BEE-F36BD4BDAD9A.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 46
  • BFD51F5D-7AA1-46F2-9760-5A3F4B217D4E.jpeg
    BFD51F5D-7AA1-46F2-9760-5A3F4B217D4E.jpeg