• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Barrel Sleeving/ Wrapping

Re: Barrel Sleeving/ Wrapping

I have one from christionson arms in .308 it shoots lights out.

I feel like the concept may have been around for quite a while, but most manufacturers are sticking to steel. There must be a reason.

There has been great debate with the ABS barrels but generally they shoot quite well. Christensen Arms barrels are hit or miss but mostly miss.

We've got a Marlin Glenfield 25 with a very clean microgroove barrel. But we want a heavier profile mainly for cosmetic reasons going into a 40X stock for a trainer. So to keep the microgroove barrel, and get the profile we want we're going to make a sleeve out of 6061 T6 tube and tension the barrel to see if we can get the look and maybe a bit of performance. Just trying to find the time to get out and get a baseline set of groups to make a before and after comparision.

We'll see how it goes and report back.

I have two rifles (FN PBR .308 & Armalite AR-50) that have had the teludyne strait jacket installed. I have to say that the difference is significant. In essence, the SJ system "wicks" heat away from the bore and dissipates it much more rapidly. There is no mirage on the 50 and the .308 seems to be less particular in regards to what I feed it. After 15 rounds through the 50 in a span of 90 seconds or so, I can pull the bolt and put my finger in the chamber. Feels the same as ambient temperature. The .308 will group well (if I'm having a good day myself) with winchester white box ammo. It still shoots the hand loads better, but for general practice, the cheap stuff shoots good enough to make me smile.

(BTW, the TTI muzzle brakes are good too.)