• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Build and AR Class

5hans5

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
CT
Not a new idea: I'd like to build an AR but would prefer to do so for the first time in a structured session/class with a gunsmith. You know- get a parts list, buy what you want (confirmed with the instructor), show up and learn the art of building from scratch. I've heard that there are many tricks that make it easier/better.

Anyone in CT consider giving a class or know of a good smith that would?

Re: Build and AR Class

In CT? No. Try an NRA Short Term Gunsmithing school, although you will have to travel.

Wait...what? People are learning by the thousands, something vastly more complicated than building an AR, on the internet. Its called handloading. I can't say they are always learning well, but again its more complicated.
Brownell's has very handy online videos that talk you through the process in detailed step by step format. I don't know what tricks you are referring to, but imagine they can be covered under one heading "Buy good parts". The one trick I know is bedding the barrel extension in blue loctite, again not exactly rocket science, and in my opinion of questionable worth, compared to a great receiver and a great barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its called reloading.
Wait...what?</div></div>

Exactly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its called reloading.
Wait...what?</div></div>

Exactly. </div></div>

Did you have anything useful to say? Or did you just want to nitpick my words?