• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Choosing an excellent whiskey (?)

I went to my favorite store and was shocked. The only thing available from the Buffalo Trace Distilleries was the half gallon Buffalo Trace. So I grabbed one and a Four Roses single barrel.
MVIMG_20200319_191212.jpg

Eagle rare is a good pedestrian bourbon. Basil Hayden, jefferson Ocean, woodford reserve, and Willy's private reserve are good $50 and over bourbons.

Wow I haven't seen a tax stamp on a bottle in a very long time. How old is that bottle? 1980?

Two underrated Bourbons, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit and Evan Williams Single Barrel, this one easily the best bang for the dollar.

I'm not generally fond of TN whiskey but this is excellent. Very smooth and not sweet like the other Lincoln Co distillers.

20200320_181504.jpg

Reactions: BigTex
Gonna have to try the Jefferson stuff.

Looks interesting.

Local store has it but it's third shelf down.

Thought that meant something.

Tried 4 Rose's today. Pretty good stuff, and a good price.

Many years ago someone I knew introduced me to buying whiskey futures. You buy however much whiskey you want and the distillery (Warden Walker, Ltd.) sets barrels aside with your name on them. I bought several thousand dollars' worth as an investment. The investment, they told me, was as solid as the Bank of England, which was a good thing as $2500 in 1970 was not a trifling amount. But it's a sure bet, I thought, and the longer I hold onto my barrels, the more valuable they get.

The minimum length of time was 4 years, but I wanted to go at least 6 and maybe even 8. After all, the investment was as solid as the Bank of England, and they sent me an evaluation each year telling me what the selling price was on a barrel of the year I had bought.

After 5 years I was feeling pretty good. The evaluations I was receiving made it look like I'd double my money in one or two more years. Solid as the Bank of England.

That was the year the English pound was devalued. My investment (in dollars) dropped to approximately what I had paid for it. Solid as the Bank of England had left me with no profit to show for my investment.

They always said we could go to the distillery and pick up the barrels with our name on them. I seriously considered it, but ended up selling for just a little more than I had paid (in dollars) after holding it for 6 years. If I recall correctly (not a sure thing at my age) I owned about 3 barrels of unblended scotch whiskey. I still wonder if I would have been better off picking up the barrels. The whiskey would have been 50 years old by now.

Thank you Gordon Gecko.

I opened the Redbreast 12 Cask for a taste. I again sipped this like the Balvenie. It is about $10 more than a Redbreast 12 (80 proof) which is due to it being 112.4 proof as I understand. Now, many boozehounds here, aficionados, dare I say....may be inclined to perceive different flavors and subtleties in whatever swill they chug, but my Neanderthal palate is still evolving so I'll try my best. (See what I did there...? Neanderthal....evolving:sneaky:)

A good whiff reveals a soft scent. Very mild. I kept expecting a sharp "hello", but it does not come across as a sharp stick to the eye. Labels and reviews sometimes lead us to an opinion that may not be our own, but I would agree that the aroma is smooth and mellow. Redbreast calls it a creamy and mellow aroma.

I had a few light drinks, again, about 1 oz. each over a 4-5 hour period. The taste is stronger in my opinion. It has.....authority. I did taste an element of fruitiness, (let the jokes begin...) as well as the expected wood flavor. It finished again the way it started. With authority. A stronger zip at the end but it quickly faded. The last drink I put an ice cube in the glass and that helped tame this Irish whiskey. I probably will drink it that way. Maybe a smaller ice cube, find the accuracy node and keep it there. Did this review help? Pffftt....fuck no...probably not:rolleyes:....compared to the original Belgian I mentioned, I say it is simply a stronger drink, very smooth, just stronger. Compared to Balvenie, again stronger. A function of the higher alcohol content I reckon. So, as I said before, I was looking to try some top shelf whiskeys. So far... 2 for 2...Next up is the Woodford Reserve. Good luck and good shooting!

Doug

For bourbon Blantons is hard to beat the George Remus is also quite good for the price point. For a very mild easy to drink bourbon woodford reserve is also good very little “bite”. Red Breast Irish and McCallen 12 or 18.

Just received these as a late xmas present. The bullets are. 30 cal.
15851649651061317337671266876771.jpg

Very clever. My first thought was "in order to capture a bullet in glass without breaking it, you'd have to be a LONG way away." Then I thought "or else have a very hot bullet." I'll go with the latter.

Rifling marks on the bullet? That would be a good detail.

No rifling marks. There is a disclaimer on the box that says, " the bullets are not real ammunition "

Of course I expected they had not been fired from a firearm. It's a clever illusion, nonetheless.

If you do not mind a blended Scotch, Buchanan is exceptionally easy to drink.

And then for a day to day, it is hard to beat Buffalo Trace. If one is just getting into whiskey and you’ve heard about ole Pappy, and you wonder what the hype is; BT will tell you at a fraction of the price. And that is because it is young pappy, and the cost of hype marketing hasn’t been added into the cost yet.

Another easy to drink, yet excellent bourbon is Four Roses. My ex had/have family that live in Bardestown Ky, and the local were drinking this stuff; and once you try it, you’ll see why. Hard to beat a smooth brown liquor that’s still about $25, and then $40 for a single barrel.

I’m an old bourbon nerd and I think, I’ve learned that it’s really not necessary to spend a fortune to get a legit bottle of “smooth” whiskey. Been there done that, and my biases seem to indicate that you can get the best that whiskey has to offer in the $35 to $60 range. I could be wrong, and I’m willing to be wrong.

However, if you just need to spend some green on brown, here’s a decent way to go. This from a Texan hog hunting trip this past weekend.

To the OP, what you enjoy is the best. Enjoy the journey finding it.

Now to the so called "bourbon nerd" your opinion is all well and good and I'll respect that.

But when you make statements like Buffalo Trace is just young Pappy without the hype, then I will throw the bullshit flag on you for not knowing what the fuck you are talking about. BT distills the juice for Pappy and bottles it and distributes it. That's about it. Buffalo Trace and Pappy Van Winkle don't even share the same mashbill for crying out loud. For a bourbon nerd as you call yourself, I would think you would at least know that.

No rifling marks. There is a disclaimer on the box that says, " the bullets are not real ammunition "

I suspect that has more to do with liability issues than anything else. In today's world, you don't dare run the risk of being accused of selling ammunition without a FFL or a disclaimer.

Some peeps just don't know the diff twixt a bullet and an ammo cartridge.. :rolleyes:

This is today's selection, a good friend stopped by with it. He picked this up in Europe, it is not exported to America. Very smooth, about $100
15855128973518493474720923970322.jpg

Yes, I'm sure you have seen Glenlivet in the USA, but not this particular selection.

Since I don't drink anything that costs more than a full tank of gas in my car, I can't say if I've seen that selection of Glenlivit. I'll have to look next time I'm browsing the luxury libation aisle of Costco.

I would see dollar signs every time I took a sip. Don't think I have the inner steel to drink that kind of high-priced nectar.

I might say -- I drink a $10 old vine red Zinfandel. I find it quite acceptable -- pleasant, even. And I never think about how much it costs.

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
Looks like most of you guys drink some really nice whiskey. I was going to suggest Tincup, and strangely I tried Proper 12 recently. I thought it was pretty darn good! Even being a company owned by a famous person

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
We've got a few of those glasses as well, a .30 as well as a .45 though the majority of the Bourbon we drink is out of the Glencairn whiskey glasses.

If you want to have fun with the tipple and use your senses more at the same time, then put a cover over the glass after you do a small pour. Just a half-ounce to an ounce. Let it sit for a few, then remove the cover at your nose and smell those aroma's in. THEN take a small sip, and move it around so that it hits ALL your taste buds.

Do that, over the course of an evening, with a few different bottles,,,, THEN you'll start to see the differences. One could add a few drops of water to a glass, after a few sips, and then that brings out yet even more flavors.

Or, just slam-em-back, and call it good. Get drunk fast. Break open that "Chateaux Neuf-du-Box" and go to town. :D

Bulleit Rye (green lable) is my reasonably priced, never offensive, sweet tooth supplicating, drink of choice.

When I go to the liquor store I buy a bottle of Bulleit Rye and some strange to see if the grass is greener on the other side.

Still havent replaced the Bulleit in a year of looking.

That's interesting. I've been a Knob Creek drinker for a couple years and could've thrown away the bottle of Bulleit Rye I tried.

That's interesting. I've been a Knob Creek drinker for a couple years and could've thrown away the bottle of Bulleit Rye I tried.

Hmm thats weird. Just finished a bottle of Knob Creek last night. Good but it wont replace Bulleit.

I'm with Ledzep on this one. I've gone through a couple bottles each of the Bulleit rye and bourbon. Both times they ended up as mixers. It isn't bad, just that there are so many in the same price point that are better. I really wanted to like it. It's just not to my taste. I would buy Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, even Evan Williams BiB first. Or on the rye side, Sazerac, Rittenhouse... you get the point.

I'm with Ledzep on this one. I've gone through a couple bottles each of the Bulleit rye and bourbon. Both times they ended up as mixers. It isn't bad, just that there are so many in the same price point that are better. I really wanted to like it. It's just not to my taste. I would buy Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, even Evan Williams BiB first. Or on the rye side, Sazerac, Rittenhouse... you get the point.

I like it for the sweetness.

I eat a no carb diet.

Bulleit is my dessert.

If anyone has any Willett Single Barrel bourbon, shoot me a PM.

More relevant, I cracked open a Blanton's SFTB last night; warm and damn delicious.

RichJ:

High wheat bourbon -- so, not gluten-free?

The best I’ve ever had was Macallan M, but it’s hard to find and harder to afford. I mostly drink Jonny Gold or Blue. The gold is just as good as the blue to my taste.