• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

Re: Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

Ahhhhhhhhh... yeah bro, that is how I hunt them up there. Basically have to stalk them. I go up and hunt around for coyotes and look for dog towns. When I come across them I mark them on my map. It is a bit of work to get to some of the towns. I also scan for them on Google Earth when I am REALLY bored. It is a pain in the ass but once you find what you are looking for you can find them from the satellite images.

Funny thing is, I've only shot one coyote up there. Those yotes are FREAKED out by people. I guess I would be too if someone was always shooting at me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel like a little kid after hearing about the DOW range in Buena! I never knew that place was there. My new scope can't get here soon enough now! Thinking I'll have to head up there next weekend (the 24th or 25th) if anyone wants to join me. </div></div>

I want to make it out there sometime too. Can't on the 24th/25th though. The CO State Silhouette Championships are that weekend at Aurora Gun Club. I gotta defend my title!
smile.gif

Went to the range today on my way back from elk archery season.
Good times; it's nice to have a free range with good targets!
Fired about 60 rounds with the new 5R/2.0/NXS I put together.
Tried out the 'Shooter' ballistic app on my phone for try dope, it was pretty close. Shot a few handloads and also tried out Hornady's 178 Superformance Match BTHP rounds. I know they are little hot, but I didn't see any signs of pressure. That Hornady 178 is pretty damn accurate, fwiw.
Great thread, btw... thanks for the info on the range, guys

2011-09-25_14-43-08_937.jpg

Interesting thread, I am always up for a range day if anyone wants to go. I go to Pawnee 3 or 4 times a month.

Glad I found this place

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spleify</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting thread, I am always up for a range day if anyone wants to go. I go to Pawnee 3 or 4 times a month.

Glad I found this place </div></div>Whassup Leif!
smile.gif

Hey guys, new to the forum. Was wondering if there was anyone around the Pueblo area that wanted to go to Comanche or that Buena Vista range one of these weekends? I got an economical SUV (honda crv) for cheap gas, maybe brave the cold and camp out one night?

Yeah it'd be nice to get a small group of guys together to head out to Buena vista. I'd pitch in for gas, or we can cram in my grand am (31mpg) Currently in Minnesota till Nov 2nd, but anytime after that let me know.

Hey yall, registered a while ago but never posted. Got into a long range setup a couple days ago and now I finally have a reason to get involved here. I live in Centennial, a bit south of Denver.
Been to Pawnee but haven't found a spot with a good backdrop past 200 yards, and I have a spot out towards DIA where I can reach out to about 500, but don't know of anything in the 1000yd range.
I'd love to make it to the next shoot with yall.

I've been digging around tonight on the net looking for some (free) places to shoot that are not too far from East Boulder.
I came up with this:
Interactive Shooting Map

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pitch fork</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am game for going up to pawnee if anyone is up for it? I just live 40 min hour away in windsor. </div></div>I too might be up for a Pawnee run, depending on the day/time and weather.

I'd be up for a run to Pawnee as well. What do yall think about next weekend?

I'll be heading to the Buena Vista DOW range and friday with one other person. Anyone is welcome to come join us.

Just went out to the Pawnee range a couple of days ago. The weather was perfect close to 60 degrees with no wind. All was quite not a shooter around. I had the place all to myself. I worked on breaking in a new 338rum. Also did some shooting of my 7rum. Ran out of time but hit his 400 and 500 yd targets.

I've worked up a small sketch of the BV range, I add to it as time permits, PM me if you want a copy. The click values in parentheses are my come ups in MOA for my .284Win
DOW Range

Elev = 7,700'

Key: Distance: Description:
A 350 yd Steel Plate Hanging in tree by # 5
B 477 yd Steel Plate Hanging in tree
C 560 yd Rabbit in 600 yard draw
D 590 yd Gopher in 600 yard draw
E 600 yd Bowling Pin @ top of 600 yard draw
F 450 yd Gopher @ 450 sign
G 400 yd Pig in front of 450 sign (looks deceiving)
H 545 yd Rabbit by 545 sign
J 925 yd Long range Pig center range
K 928 yd Long range Gopher center range
M 1000 yd Long range square plate
N 1010 yd Long range squirrel
O 1015 yd Long range round plate
P 534 yd Buffalo
Q 550 yd Ram
R 545 yd Gopher
S 503 yd Round

(7mm Clicks:)

DOWrangemap.jpg

Thanks. I shoot there a couple times a month. Had the range to myself last Thursday. What bullet are you shooting in your 284? My 284/175SMK I'm @ 24.5 moa/100yd zero to get on the gong.

I'm 2hrs away, if I lived in BV like you ammo cost would go way up!

I'm using the Berger 180 Hybrid running right around 2900. With a 100 yd zero I'm coming up 22.5 MOA for the round gong. Shoot me a note when you are coming down if you want some company.

Took the Hornady 178 BTHP Superformance 32.0 MOA in the stock 5R to reach the 'gong'

What I like is the performance of the .284 on the narrow target (Prairie Dog?) just in front of the round gong. With my .260 or a .308 you can really see the effects of a twitchy wind on that little guy, with the .284 my wind errors are reduced, but the vertical stringing with the .284 is greatly reduced too. The configuration of that range is such that with a west to east tailwind you can get a lot of vertical shifts due to wind; the .284 really shines in those conditions. With a can there is hardly any perceived recoil, only downside is if my NPA is off I might not see the impact once in a while due to rifle jump.

Whats up guys...Anyone in or near Colorado Springs want to go shooting some weekend? Show me some pointers on longer distance shooting? Not sure of any longer distance ranges out there or where I can shoot on public land either. I only know of dragon mans and its only a 200 yd. range.

I might be up for a trip to the steel DOW range near Buena Vista this weekend. I get my rifle back from the gunsmith tomorrow. I had it rebarrelled and have a brand new scope I need to zero. I'll post back up if I'm definitely able to get out. Weather looks to be mostly sunny and temps in the mid to high 30's.

I pick my rifle up from the smith this afternoon, and will head to the DOW range Sunday morning to sight in my new scope and just see how this thing shoots with the new barrel etc.

My USO scope arrived for my LRB M25/Sage EBR, I'd like to get out this weekend to get it zeroed. Need to get some loads chronyed as well. Was thinking about Friday to avoid the crowds, but maybe I'll wait until Sunday just to link up with COfox.

I'm going to try and be there early, ~7:30am. It's about a 2 hour or so drive from my place.

I WAS jealous my rifle wasnt done yet, until I read COfox is gonne be there at 730 haha Hell he'd probably be done shooting by the time I showed up!

Uh, nevermind...NWS pin-point weather shows temps of 14 degrees at 7am there...I think I'll wait for it to warm up some and head down later!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DBeum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats up guys...Anyone in or near Colorado Springs want to go shooting some weekend? Show me some pointers on longer distance shooting? Not sure of any longer distance ranges out there or where I can shoot on public land either. I only know of dragon mans and its only a 200 yd. range. </div></div>

DBeum, I'll be heading out to the Frontier Sportsman's Range south of Fountain in the morning. PM if you want to come out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uh, nevermind...NWS pin-point weather shows temps of 14 degrees at 7am there...I think I'll wait for it to warm up some and head down later! </div></div>

I will wait till spring. LOL.

I've got a question for anyone familiar with the CRC. How are the 1,000 yd. range shoots held? Say if someone shows up and wants to shoot at 500 yds and then someone else comes and wants to shoot at 700 yds do they have to wait until the people at 500 are done? Seems like it could get bogged down, or do they designate different distances at different times etc?

I'd really like to head out there some day and get good quality data on my come-ups etc. from 300 - 1,000 yds. The range in BV isn't really good for that.

I suppose I need to join as well in order to shoot, or do they open the range occasionally?

Thanks!

CRC is members only unless it is match day or as a guest of a member . IIRC there rules are on the website . The way the 1K range is run when there are no matches going on is wierd with even and odd days and I don't remember exactly off the top of my head , not a member and have only been out for matches and as a guest .

On even numbered dates shooters firing short ranges, i.e., 200, 300 or 600 yards, have preference for use of the range.

· On odd numbered dates shooters firing long ranges, i.e., 600 to 1000 yards have preference for use of the range.

· Shooters wishing to fire on non preference dates, for example 300 yard shooting on an odd number date, may do so if no long range shooters are present. On arrival, a preference date shooter must give the other a reasonable time to finish his string and clear the line.

· On any preference day, shooters wishing to fire at different ranges, for example 200 and 300 yards, must work it out among themselves.

4. If both bench rest and prone shooters are present at the 1000 yard firing line, the groups must segregate themselves at opposite ends of the firing line, preferably bench rest shooters to the left (west) and prone shooters to the right (east).

Other rules at the Colorado Rifle Club include No Photography or Videotaping, and No Steel Targets.

SOME of us obey these obscure rules.

SOME of us do not.

cool.gif

I shot an F-class match there over two years ago. Need to find a member to invite me...any takers?
wink.gif
Weird, but I seem to live in no-man's land that is over 100 miles from every long range place in this state to go shoot.

On that topic, anyone here know much about shooting in the Foothills just west of Denver, you know, NF land, BLM lands etc.? Any scoop on places in or near Gilpin county? On my 135 mile drive to the range in Buena Vista, I pass so much open land that I figure there has to be some place I could go closer to home.

For you shooters in the Colorado Springs area. If you were not aware, two weeks ago ground was broken on a new public shooting range on the east side of Ft. Carson.

Details are still a bit vague, but the ultimate goal is to have multiple rifle lanes out to 600 yards (possibly longer) with electronic scoring. Also, there will be pistol lanes with active targets. It will be located south of Gate 20 off I-25.

You will not have to enter through the gate to get to the range, and as such, you will not have to register your weapons at the Provost Marshal office. Cost will be nominal, but you will have to pay as the range must be self-supporting. Rangemasters will be on site when it is in operation.

Don't have an idea yet when it will open, but it's coming. I'll post more as I get information.

Hey guys,

Thought I'd pop in and say hi - I see some familiar names from co-ar. I'm getting into the long range game this year, and hope to run into some of you in that context.

Looking at joining up at CRC this year, too. Should be exciting.

I am looking at getting a range/campout weekend going sometime in April for the DOW Steel Target Range in Buena Vista. I have been trying to get out there for some time now, but still hasn't happened.

I have a couple shooting buddies here that shoot the Smileys with me, and their families. I am trying to get it to where everyone can participate, so it outta be a pretty good time. I will keep you guys posted with more information as the dates get closer at hand.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at getting a range/campout weekend going sometime in April for the DOW Steel Target Range in Buena Vista. I have been trying to get out there for some time now, but still hasn't happened.

I have a couple shooting buddies here that shoot the Smileys with me, and their families. I am trying to get it to where everyone can participate, so it outta be a pretty good time. I will keep you guys posted with more information as the dates get closer at hand.

DK </div></div>

I would be down with this, sounds like a great way to spend some time camping AND shooting. Would be cool bringing the wife as long as other women and kids come along for the camping(she gets sick of shooting after and hour
crazy.gif
) A Friday night/Saturday would be good for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot an F-class match there over two years ago. Need to find a member to invite me...any takers?
wink.gif
Weird, but I seem to live in no-man's land that is over 100 miles from every long range place in this state to go shoot.

On that topic, anyone here know much about shooting in the Foothills just west of Denver, you know, NF land, BLM lands etc.? Any scoop on places in or near Gilpin county? On my 135 mile drive to the range in Buena Vista, I pass so much open land that I figure there has to be some place I could go closer to home. </div></div>

I have wondered that too COfox, I am new to the area and there are a lot of foothills and open space out west of Denver even on the drive between me and you(I'm in Centennial.)

It seems some careful checking with the local forest ranger district and some enterprising fellows with their own steel could find someplace closer than 100 miles from Denver to shoot at LEAST to 1000. Even if we found a member here that had their own property, I'm sure people would be willing to pay a small fee or donate work or steel to shoot on it.

I would be willing to meet up for a Prarie Dog shoot this spring with some guys, or maybe do a Saturday carpool to the BV range. With my new NF going on my 338 Edge I'm going to REALLY need a place where I can hit steel at over a mile though, if anyone knows a place or wants an ELR shooting buddy. I will even bring the food!

Hi everyone, I am new to this site as a result of stumbling upon this thread. I live in SE Aurora and I'm looking for a free place to shoot handguns and my 10/22. Does anyone know of a place near Aurora that is available? Maybe an AGC member? If not, we are willing to drive. I am planning on taking a friend from church and his wife out this Sunday and I would like to find a safe location. If anyone knows and is interested in going, I am taking my 10/22 and some handguns out with me. I am 29, experienced with firearms, respectful, Eagle Scout, hunter, love shooting and plan on joining the NRA with my next paycheck. I would like to invite two or three additional friends to come along. If anyone is interested in plinking around I have some targets I have built and bought. I am also very interested in learning about larger caliber rifles.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post,

RMC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verdugo60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be down with this, sounds like a great way to spend some time camping AND shooting. Would be cool bringing the wife as long as other women and kids come along for the camping(she gets sick of shooting after and hour
crazy.gif
) A Friday night/Saturday would be good for me. </div></div>

Yes, this will be a family based situation. I am trying to set it up to bring my girlfriend along, and both my buddies and their wives, as well as the kiddos too.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other rules at the Colorado Rifle Club include No Photography or Videotaping, and No Steel Targets.

SOME of us obey these obscure rules.

SOME of us do not.

cool.gif
</div></div>
Where is that I can't find where it says No Photography or Video taping,

I did see where it says dogs must be restrained yet the club president let's his dog wander...

As well I know for a fact permission has been given for steel targets on the back berm on a limited basis...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

GENERAL RANGE RULES:

The following general rules apply to all persons who are on CRC property for any purpose, and at all times. There are additional rules specific to each of the ranges, and all persons must be familiar with and observe those range specific rules as well.

1. Treat ALL firearms as though they are loaded and ready to fire until YOU have ascertained otherwise. Never point any firearm at anything that you do NOT want to shoot.

2. All firearms in a car must be unloaded and safely cased.

3. When uncasing a firearm for moving it to the firing line ACTIONS MUST BE OPENED and the arm carried with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, normally straight up. Some ranges or events require that a yellow or orange safety indicator be inserted into the open action. Muzzle loading arms are excepted from the actions open rule but must be unloaded.

4. Away from the firing line handguns may not be carried in holsters, except for law enforcement personnel in uniform or persons holding valid concealed carry permits. “QUICK DRAW” handgun practice or shooting IS NOT PERMITTED on CRC property.

5. All wildlife is protected on club grounds under the terms of our special use permit from Adams County. Hunting and dog training is forbidden.

6. Dogs allowed only on restraint and at owners risk.

7. Alcoholic beverages are allowed in designated areas for special events. Alcohol may only be consumed after all shooting is completed for the day, and all firearms are unloaded, cased and placed in vehicles or otherwise secured.. Alcohol may not be consumed on or near to any firing lines while shooting is in progress.

8. Persons under 18 years of age may shoot only when supervised by a responsible adult.

9. Members bringing a guest are responsible for that person and must accompany them at all times on CRC property.

10. Drive only on designated roads and park only in marked parking areas.

11. Wear eye and ear protection whenever firing. Even 22 rim fire cases occasionally fail and may injure eyes. The firing line covers tend to reflect noise back toward shooters and many high powered loads can cause serious ear injury which accumulates over time.

12. Be extremely careful with fire. Do not burn trash or drive through dry grass because the heat of car exhausts may start fires.

13. The nearest emergency fire and medical responders are in Byers and it will take at least half an hour for assistance to arrive at the range. Note that some cell phones will not access the Byers 911 number. Signs are posted around the property with the 10 digit number for Byers fire and medical assistance. Always use that number when calling for assistance. The Byers fire department number is 303 822-5222 and the Medical Emergency number is 303 822-5353. Try to meet the responder at the road gate to lead them to the accident or fire. The Adams County Sheriff’s number is 303 622-9798 (Strasburg).

14. Please remove your trash and wastes from the property. We have no trash pickup and there is no waste water dump station on the property. Please pick up your fired brass and place it in the barrels provided.

15. Each range is designed for certain arms. For safety reasons it is essential that only the designated arms be used. Refer to the individual range rules for each range.
• 50 cal. BMG (Browning Machine Gun) cartridges are NOT PERMITTED. Any caliber lead bullets from muzzle loader or black powder arms are permitted.
• FULL AUTOMATIC FIRING IS NOT PERMITTED.
• TRACER, INCENDIARY OR EXPLOSIVE BULLETS ARE NOT PERMITTED. Armor piercing bullets may not be used on the silhouette range.

16. Arrange your firing point so that you fire straight downrange (do not fire diagonally across any range) and be sure that all shots impact the backstop. Firing is permitted ONLY ON THE DESIGNATED RANGES and is forbidden elsewhere on the property.

17. It is the duty of all persons using the CRC facility to know, understand and observe these rules as well as common sense safety precautions at all times when handling firearms. Willful violation of these rules is ground for immediate expulsion from the range and the club.

</div></div>

Implied rules are not necessarily the same as written rules

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
HIGH POWER RANGE RULES

In addition to the General Range Rules which apply everywhere on the CRC property, the following rules are specific to the high power range area.

1. Any safe rifle may be used on this range EXCEPT 50 cal BMG.

“Range in Use” RED SAFETY PENNANTS MUST BE RAISED opposite the west end of the 1000 yard firing line and on top of the west end of the backstop BEFORE any firing begins regardless of the distance in use.

3. Range Use Preference:

· On even numbered dates shooters firing short ranges, i.e., 200, 300 or 600 yards, have preference for use of the range.

· On odd numbered dates shooters firing long ranges, i.e., 600 to 1000 yards have preference for use of the range.

· Shooters wishing to fire on non preference dates, for example 300 yard shooting on an odd number date, may do so if no long range shooters are present. On arrival, a preference date shooter must give the other a reasonable time to finish his string and clear the line.

· On any preference day, shooters wishing to fire at different ranges, for example 200 and 300 yards, must work it out among themselves.

4. If both bench rest and prone shooters are present at the 1000 yard firing line, the groups must segregate themselves at opposite ends of the firing line, preferably bench rest shooters to the left (west) and prone shooters to the right (east).

5. During cease fire periods all rifles must be grounded or racked with the actions open and magazines removed. Very heavy bench rest rifles may be left on the benches with the bolts removed. Yellow or orange safety indicators should be put into the open actions. Do not handle any arms for any reason during cease fires. All targets must be pulled down into the pits during cease fires.

6. Due to the heavy loads used by some shooters, EYE AND EAR PROTECTION IS ESSENTIAL at all times on or near this range.

7. The high power range is heavily used. Note that rifles of this class may also be fired on the silhouette range to 500 meters or on the schuetzen range at 100 or 200 yards.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RUGER10/22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone knows and is interested in going, I am taking my 10/22 and some handguns out with me. I am 29, experienced with firearms, respectful, Eagle Scout, hunter, love shooting and plan on joining the NRA with my next paycheck. I would like to invite two or three additional friends to come along. If anyone is interested in plinking around I have some targets I have built and bought. I am also very interested in learning about larger caliber rifles.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post,

RMC </div></div>

First off... Welcome to the Hide!! If you are interested, you are more than welcome to come out to Buena Vista for the campout shooting weekend. Families especially would be great!! I would like to make this as fun as possible for everyone, for several Hiders to meet, and make it a great weekend for all!!

I will be sharing more details as the time draws closer!!

DK

LL,

I was videotaping, although this was in 1998, and informed that that was not allowed, and they sent the rules to me to "reinforce" that point. Plus, no human silouette targets as well, also got in "trouble" for this, after a verbal reprimand from some CRC members and it also was in a more recent CRC newsletter that that too isn't allowed.

The board members threatened to yank my membership if I didn't "cease and desist", their words, not mine.

Their logic was that they didn't want to give the wrong impression about the CRC on a political basis, that we at the CRC were militia members in training at our remote outpost. They were "concerned about their public image". (Also CRC words, not mine).

Since then I don't have much interest in spending time with those people, oddly enough, and go to great lengths to avoid them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LL,

I was videotaping, although this was in 1998, and informed that that was not allowed, and they sent the rules to me to "reinforce" that point. Plus, no human silouette targets as well, also got in "trouble" for this, after a verbal reprimand from some CRC members and it also was in a more recent CRC newsletter that that too isn't allowed.

The board members threatened to yank my membership if I didn't "cease and desist", their words, not mine.

Their logic was that they didn't want to give the wrong impression about the CRC on a political basis, that we at the CRC were militia members in training at our remote outpost. They were "concerned about their public image". (Also CRC words, not mine).

Since then I don't have much interest in spending time with those people, oddly enough, and go to great lengths to avoid them. </div></div>

Hmm,

They have videos posted on the new site, of shoots, including the Cowboy action and the Zoot Shoot "Machine Gun" shoot that Alan does there, so who ever you spoke too was probably talking out their ass.

The prairie dog shoot has "silhouette targets ? Maybe not human but still,

It's probably why I only go when nobody is there, but clearly there is nothing in the rules and i must have missed the section in the newsletter about it ?

Like i said, I have been there on more than occasion when Dennis R is there and never a word is spoken, and I set up cameras up in plain sight. Not to mention his dog pretty much roams free, including at the gate because he and I showed up at the same time and the dog was out roaming around while he opened the gate.

Case of do as I say, not as I do... usually the only issues I have heard of have to do with those high strung guys in the camper truck who shoot on the HP range, I tend to avoid them.

LL,

Those high strung guys with the pickup and camper truck?!

Those were the guys I emailed you about who were shooting suppressed weapons and drinking last summer.

Lovely.

Mystery solved.

I guess we'll both be avoiding those bastards.