• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Deciding between TBAC 30P-1 and 30BA. Help..

batex

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2012
Western NC
I'm relatively new here, but am a long time shooter and gun guy. I have the itch to get into the long range game and recently bought a custom GAP 260 Rem from a forum member. I'd like to get going with a suppressor and have a few questions:

Once you have a suppressor, do you ever shoot much without it?

If you don't shoot much without it, how often do you remove it?

Bottom line is that I'm struggling between the Thunder Beast 30P-1 and 30BA. The 30BA, from what I understand, gives nothing up in terms of accuracy and POI repeatability, but has the added benefit of having the brake on for when you shoot without it. I just don't know how much I would do this. For now, this would be the only bolt gun I would use it on. Even if I had a second bolt LR gun, I'd likely get a second suppressor eventually.

Any advice here?
THanks

Re: Deciding between TBAC 30P-1 and 30BA. Help..

Once you shoot with a suppressor, you'll never shoot without it. I suggest getting the 30BA because while you wait on a can for another rifle that you may or may not purchase, you'll be able to use the one you have on both rifles.

I have to remove my 30BA after each use because the rifle won't fit in the case with it attached.

This is a hard decision. With a .260 you probably have a longer barrel, something in the 22-26" range. Add a 9" can to that and you've got a really long rifle.

The 30BA might make sense in the event you want to run without the can for some reason (maneuverability) and need a brake. The TBAC brakes work really well too.

That said, most of the guys I know with cans run 'em no matter what and just work around with a longer gun. I don't think it's the end of the world.

I'm having a hard time deciding on which can to go on a strictly competition .260 too. It will shock me if the TBAC guys don't pop in here and give you some advice too. They all shoot matches and I'm sure will tell you what their experience and preferences are...

Might as well get both!
smile.gif

I have a 30p-1 because it is lighter it'll attach to anything and the brakes are downright fugly. I never shoot without a can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The BA is a bit heavier if that means anything to you.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 30p-1 because it is lighter it'll attach to anything and the brakes are downright fugly. I never shoot without a can.</div></div>

You are both wrong. The 30BA is 15.9oz and the 30P-1 is 16oz. Even if it were more than one ounce, a difference of a few (4-5) ounces isn't going to impact your accuracy.

My vote is for 30BA. I actually have a 338BA and also use it on my .308 rifle. And I have to take it off to put in the door of my safe and fit in the cases I use on either rifle.

I think you will be happy with either though. TBAC is a great suppressor!

i am going to chime in as i am thinking about getting a TBAC as well, upgrading from my YHM QD.

for those of you that are pushing for the BA, saying it is easier to take on and off, what is the difference in threading the can to the rifle, or threading the can to a break?

you are still threading it, no matter what.

BA has a few less threads, and it's slightly easier to start the larger threads. don't base your decision on ease of attachment as its negligible.

To remove some mis information, the BA and P1 are same length and basically same weight.

the only deciding factor is do you have two or more rifles with different threads on the muzzle? Or do you have a rifle in need of a brake?

The only problem I have encountered with a 30P-1 is that not all of my barrels are threaded quite the same as far as the length of the threads go. So the problem I run into is that after using it on a barrel that has shorter length threads, it is a little tough to thread it onto a barrel that has longer threads due to the carbon buildup in the exposed threads. If all your barrels are threaded exactly the same, then you probably wouldn't have this problem. That's my experience anyway.

RMField is probably alluding to the weight of the brake itself, which is technically correct. It is standard practice to not include the weight of the muzzle device when quoting the weight of the suppressor. If you wanted the minimum "added" weight, then get the 30P-1 and utilize 3/4" threads, for the sake of argument.

If you want to shoot it on multiple guns that don't all have the same threads, the 30BA is a better choice. If you'd like to get a 338BA some day and then shoot it on some of your smaller rifles, the 30BA is a better choice. The "BA" mount does lock up tighter due to the conical locking surface so it is less likely to back off. But if you don't need brakes and shoot only 5/8 threaded rifles, you can go with the 30P-1. I shoot both on my AI's.

For those that use the 30P-1, is there any concern that repeated threading of the suppressor on and off the barrel will cause wear or damage to the barrel treads? Theoretically, the larger diameter threads and locking surface on the 30BA would seem to be more durable over the long term.

I guess I like the idea of the brake being the part that takes any wear and or protects the barrel threads when the suppressor is off the gun, in a case, etc. Am I worrying about nothing?

If you use a little anti seize on the barrel threads you should be fine. My barrels aren't around long enough to possibly wear the threads out. Only thing getting wore out is the throat area.

you guys made some good points for the advantage for the break.

batex makes a good point too. one huge advantage i see is the chance for cross threading the can on, or . it would be a fairly "simple fix" for the rifle barrel.

next question, more for mr. zak, what would it take to fix damaged threads on a TBAC 30P-1 should a knuckle head cross thread it?

You really have to try to crossthread a can on a rifle.

The most important thing is to never force threads. Especially the first time you screw a can on a "new" barrel. Some gunsmiths do not know how to cut threads within the Class 3A specification. If the muzzle threads are oversized and you force it, you will seize the can and we'll have to fit it. We have thread spec prints on the web site for reference.

Damaged threads can be as easy to fix as running a tap, or it can involve cutting out and replacing the threads entirely. It just depends on how much damage you do before you call us.

thanks zak.

i have a 20" 308 5R i would like it put it on. i'll use my YHM on my AR's i guess.

a local dealer, bear paw arms in greensburg pa, is getting one of your 30p-1 in. i think he said he talked to you at shot show. i bought a sparrow from them today, and more than likely i am going to drop the $ for your can. i gotta go do my paper work tomorrow.

the threads on the can, are they cut into the titanium, or do you have a SS insert?

this might be a dumb question; for a p-1, or any other direct thread on, the more you shot it, without taking the can off, will it be more difficult to get off? i thought i read/heard somewhere that this can happen as the threads expand, contract and some other goofy ass explanation i didn't understand.

Not really. You might have to wait for it to cool a little bit so you can really grab it properly.

The only exception is if your muzzle threads are really too long and they protrude into the suppressor past its threads. Then they collect fouling and it can be impossible to get off.

being titanium, a material i am unfamiliar with, how quickly does it cool? does it hold heat like steel, dissipate quickly like aluminum?

with a hot titanium suppressor, if you don't have time to wait for it to cool before you pack it up, can you dump water on it to cool it off?

i get this question a lot too with my clients on my equipment...which one do YOU use and why?

i know i am asking alot of questions, but i am sure others are going to read this and it will help them as well.

It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to be able to grab it, if you're using it within its intended application. If you find yourself having to take it off in a real hurry, keep a welding glove handy.

I shoot both the 30P-1 on my match gun and the 30BA on my demo gun.

hmmm....forgive me for trying tho read between the lines.

30P-1 for a match gun. this tells me you are trying to retain as much accuracy as possible, even if it doesn't matter with the TBAC as far as accuracy goes with the direct thread on and the BA.

30BA so it can be beat on, preserving the fine threads while you beat on the heavy coarse threads, by taking the can on and off all the time, having meathead clients looking at it, tossing it in and out of the truck more often (maybe?).

Nah, it's because I set up my match gun with our can before we came out with the 30BA and I rarely change up a working match rifle once it's working. The external threads on the BA mount are finer than the M18x1.5 threads on my AI's anyway. Don't read anything into it other than I use both.

There are still a number of states where you can't use a suppressor, or can't use it for hunting. If you're going to go there or do that you'll want the BA.

This...No offense to TBAC, but I do not like the looks of the brake, and I'm not spending that much for each brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 30p-1 because it is lighter it'll attach to anything and <span style="font-weight: bold">the brakes are downright fugly</span>. I never shoot without a can. </div></div>

I would take performance over looks any day of the week...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would take performance over looks any day of the week... </div></div>

That is why I use a 30p-1. Best can no fugly brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It is standard practice to not include the weight of the muzzle device when quoting the weight of the suppressor. If you wanted the minimum "added" weight, then get the 30P-1.
</div></div>

Thank you

smile.gif

Is there an advantage to the muzzle-brake mount in that the brake's baffles provide some blast shielding for the can's baffles and slow erosion?

Zak has touched on this in the past where there is no appreciable difference when using the can for its intended purposes.

However, I dont know if its ever been asked whether it may make a difference when NOT using it for its intended purpose, IE short barreled AR15?

First of all, it's not recommended. I mean, you can do it, but you need to watch the temperature of the suppressor. SBR's have much more thermal input - you're almost trying to just contain the fireball vs. normal rifle sound suppression.

That said, using the BA mount certainly won't hurt.

ive got the 30BA so i can quickly use the can on both my precision rifle 308 and my 5.56 AR. i have two brakes, threaded different for the different calibers. To me, i like the changeability, but im not sure it matters to some.