• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tech... It's here!

From arfcom:

Greyknight said:
So here are the details after extensive chatting with desert tech.

Calibers: 5.56x45, .300 black, 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39, .308 (no 10").

Initial rifles will be 5.56mm or .308.

MSRP on .308 complete is around $2,500.

Expected shipping is early 2015.

My experience with the rapid prototype display:
Outstanding balance, great point ability. Mag release forward of trigger felt great. Trigger is long but crisp (not as good as rfb, but better than stock tavor, and light years better than stock Aug). I am impressed, this could be a real winner. My order is in.

Major Questions:

Mags: any AR mags for 556 and any KAC/Magpul Mags for the 308 same chassis for both but there is a mag block for the 556 based conversion.
Adjustable gas block: Yes it is a unique gas system fully usable with suppressors.
Trigger: Two stage adjustable match.
Color: Black only at this time.
Barrel: Lother Walther SS now, Maybe CL barrels (Im hoping)
Accuracy: Desert techs main goal both reliability and accuracy.
Rail For a Bipod: Yes.
BIG Question: Time to delivery 12-18 months

We have pre sold quite a few and ordered more here at the show. So if you want one let us know.

Major Questions:

Mags: any AR mags for 556 and any KAC/Magpul Mags for the 308 same chassis for both but there is a mag block for the 556 based conversion.
Adjustable gas block: Yes it is a unique gas system fully usable with suppressors.
Trigger: Two stage adjustable match.
Color: Black only at this time.
Barrel: Lother Walther SS now, Maybe CL barrels (Im hoping)
Accuracy: Desert techs main goal both reliability and accuracy.
Rail For a Bipod: Yes.
BIG Question: Time to delivery 12-18 months

We have pre sold quite a few and ordered more here at the show. So if you want one let us know.

Your inbox is full. I went ahead and pre-ordered both versions you had on your site. I want the .308 with a .223 conversion, but I had ordered the first link you had put up yesterday, and just spotted the 7.62 today, so I ordered that one too, just in case. Whenever you're back from SHOT we can get that all sorted out. Just didn't want to miss my place in line!

Sounds like it may be a neat rifle. Too bad it's a fair bit off in the future - I'll have to forget about it and be pleasantly surprised next year.

Hopefully they make their barrel extensions available, 556 & 7.62x39 with a custom Grendel barrel. Glad I put my name on thee list.

I think this rifle will be very popular when it comes out. We are one of Desert Tech's largest dealers in the US. I will be placing a significant order for these rifles. Let me know if you would like to be placed on a list for some of the first ones out. I will not require a deposit on this until sometime next year when DT asks me to reconfirm my initial order as these begin to go into production.

Last edited:
Hopefully they make their barrel extensions available, 556 & 7.62x39 with a custom Grendel barrel. Glad I put my name on thee list.

You would need the barrel extension, a bolt, and a gas block to make the system work with a Grendel. Make sure you voice your opinion to DT about the Grendel.

DSC_0460.jpg

2015?

I am most sad..... I suck at waiting.

I don't care what initial caliber they come in. The aftermarket will give us all we need.

I want it now though!

You would need the barrel extension, a bolt, and a gas block to make the system work with a Grendel. Make sure you voice your opinion to DT about the Grendel.

The Grendel will headspace off a 7.62x39 bolt, so the real question is how complex is the gas system. If gas blocks and barrel extensions will be available for purchase aftermarket barrels should be doable. That being said a Grendel kit from DT would be a great addition as well.

I will double check but I think a 6.5 Grendal conversion is one of the short caliber planned. I miss spoke when I said pre sold it should have been pre ordered, no deposit needed. Very few people have backed out of Desert Tech products that order out of stock rifles and accessories our website so I'm not worried.

We will up our orders for the MDR and all Desert Tech products as needed. Again hit pay with MO on the product and no deposit is needed and you have a solid order with Oakland Tactical

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I am super excited for this rifle. Now the question becomes... Do I save up my limited funds for this or a SRS? Fine I'll buy both. But this will end my ability to be able to buy any other fun in the future... Well that's what I will tell my wife.

Other caliber conversion kits (besides .223 and .308) will be 6-12 months behind the initial rifle release, so there should be plenty of time for customers to advocate for 6.5 Grendel... I think one of the points to make with Desert Tech is that 6.5 Grendel is still a potent cartridge out of a 16.5" barrel -- which goes against the conventional wisdom that the cartridge requires a long barrel.

Other caliber conversion kits (besides .223 and .308) will be 6-12 months behind the initial rifle release, so there should be plenty of time for customers to advocate for 6.5 Grendel... I think one of the points to make with Desert Tech is that 6.5 Grendel is still a potent cartridge out of a 16.5" barrel -- which goes against the conventional wisdom that the cartridge requires a long barrel.

Well the nice thing then about the MDR for the Grendel, which I am disappointed that it is not a standard for DT, is that it is Bullpup. So make the Grendel barrels 18-20 inches and it will still be shorter then a standard AR.

Longer barrels would be GREAT - but if DT decides 16.5" is the longest barrel (for some reason) 6.5 Grendel still works very well.

They are going to run this through rigorous testing by the impressive test team there sending out to break it at some point. My impression that most of the wait time for this rifle is going to be Desert.Techs commitment to get it right the first time.

If Nick would be nice enough to send me a testing sample, I guarantee I would shoot it enough to find its breaking point.

.308 please, Ive got a few cases of 7.62 that needs to be shot up anyways!!

I am super excited for this rifle. Now the question becomes... Do I save up my limited funds for this or a SRS? Fine I'll buy both. But this will end my ability to be able to buy any other fun in the future... Well that's what I will tell my wife.

Buying our current products helps to fund development on the MDR and speed it up. ;) So any assistance is always appreciated.

Am also hoping for Grendel version. My go-to, do-it-all, truck gun is a 14.5 Grendel. With factory 6.5 and 6.8 chsmberings, it would be possible for all the 6mm wildcats which are so popular. Anxious to hear 1st hand reports on accuracy and the trigger from some of our top notch HIDE shooters.

More PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Last edited:
Have you guys seen this vid yet?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z_ync-qatK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buying our current products helps to fund development on the MDR and speed it up. ;) So any assistance is always appreciated.

When y'all do decide to look into adding the Grendel, I would like to see y'all chamber the barrel to accepts rounds with a COL of 2.45"+-0.005". This as opposed to the SAMMI Chamber that allows a COL of ~2.3". That COL is a result of the limits that the AR15 puts on the Grendel. The slightly longer COL would allow more case capacity with the 123gr projectiles, equating to more mv. This would make the 140gr projectiles a competitive option.

Last edited:
Done correctly the MDR could be the platform needed to finally get the full potential from the Grendel, reliably. Assuming the .308 components were used for the Grendel setup. If we could safely load the Grendel to 58ksi the round would truly be nasty.

I'm excited this could fill a need in the Grendel world for an AR12. This was discussed in length not long ago.
Grendel Evolution - AR10

Its to early to speculate on barrel length options or calibers but haveing barrel lengths that meet legal "18.5 is needed" requirements are being planned for Canada so they will be availible here. As far as caliber I assure you I'm letting DT know about what is being requested. I like the Grendel option too.

Am I the only one that thinks this would be cool in somthing like a 458 socom or 450 marlin?

Talking with Desert Tech again this morning 6.5 Grendal will happen at some point and even before that I have heard SAC is already thinking conversions. This will make it the most flexible bullpup platform on the planet. The looks comparisons will be just that, looks. Here's one for the lefty's.
View attachment 26991

Thanks for the picture. Because of your detail to please, (posting the pic for lefties) I would have ordered the MDR from you, had I not placed the order from others upon receiving Desert Tech's e-mai anouncement.

Thanks Andybull, I cant win them all. This is a fast paced business for savvy and educated customers who know what they want. The response to this rifle has been so big and fast paced that you can lose a client in the time you write a response to an email.

Its also a testament to Desert Tech that its clients know this rifle will be made right. I have no doubt it will be after talking to the T&E team. Its not only reliability and durability on the radar but they are also focused the ergonomics and speed of operation.

Im not getting the love for the 6.5 Grendel. I understand its a good cartridge out of the AR15 size platform, but if this rifle will run .308 parent cartridges, why not just go 6.5 Creedmoor? It has already been proven to feed well out of a gasser, factory easy to get ammo and more velocity than the Grendel.

Im curious as to what accuracy potential you guys are shooting for Nick. Im imagining this is more of a combat style rifle rather than a precision rifle like your bolt guns. Can 1 MOA be expected with good ammo?

i loved my grendel, so im not a hater, but in his letter he compares a 123gr 6.5 bullet to a 150g 308 bullet. Im sure anyone who knows anything about ballistics would see right through the fact that they are trying to gimp the 308 to make the 65g look better.
Short-n-Sassy's letter cites exterior ballistics comparisons that make the case for including the 6.5 Grendel:

Desert Tactical Arms

Im not getting the love for the 6.5 Grendel. I understand its a good cartridge out of the AR15 size platform, but if this rifle will run .308 parent cartridges, why not just go 6.5 Creedmoor? It has already been proven to feed well out of a gasser, factory easy to get ammo and more velocity than the Grendel.

Im curious as to what accuracy potential you guys are shooting for Nick. Im imagining this is more of a combat style rifle rather than a precision rifle like your bolt guns. Can 1 MOA be expected with good ammo?

I'm with you, I'd much rather a larger 6.5mm cartridge. .260, 6.5 Creedmoor, whatever. The Grendel has its' place, but if the chassis can accommodate the larger cartridges, they seem like a good fit. The only real downside is slightly more recoil.

Talking with Desert Tech again this morning 6.5 Grendal will happen at some point and even before that I have heard SAC is already thinking conversions. This will make it the most flexible bullpup platform on the planet. The looks comparisons will be just that, looks. Here's one for the lefty's.
View attachment 26991

Would you dance, If I asked you to dance?

HELL YES LEFTY!!!!!!!!!! A lefty in a 6MM variant would be so cool. Pushing a 105 Hybrid at like 2600 in a compact platform just gives me the chills

This is what will be great about this rifle, If someone wants to fire 308 based match cartridges out of a 16" barrel with a red dot or some other low mag optic they can. To each his own. If I had this rifle in 308 it would have a diet of m80 ball, that's just the role I see this rifle filling for me.

Weight savings, cheaper to reload, reduced recoil. And if Wolf will ever bring the steel case ammo to the market this would be a great match. The Grendel was designed as a medium game/assault rifle round. This could be the optimum platform for the Grendel.

I wouldn't want to fire a 260 or creedmore in a confined environment(CQB), as I believe the bullpups were designed for use in. The 260 and creedmore are just to much for an assault rifle. Great 100 yard precision rounds. They'd make great DMR rounds, but not an assault rifle round. The DMR seems to be designed as an assault rifle as opposed to a precision rifle. So I'm not getting the want for the 260 and Creedmore in this platform, I get the .308 only because of M80 ball ammo.

What are the 260s and Creedmores getting, MV wise from a 140gr projectile out of a 16" barrel? Designed as I specified above I believe the Grendel could safely get close to 2300 fps MV.

Weight savings, cheaper to reload, reduced recoil. And if Wolf will ever bring the steel case ammo to the market this would be a great match. The Grendel was designed as a medium game/assault rifle round. This could be the optimum platform for the Grendel.

I wouldn't want to fire a 260 or creedmore in a confined environment(CQB), as I believe the bullpups were designed for use in. The 260 and creedmore are just to much for an assault rifle. Great 100 yard precision rounds. They'd make great DMR rounds, but not an assault rifle round. The DMR seems to be designed as an assault rifle as opposed to a precision rifle. So I'm not getting the want for the 260 and Creedmore in this platform, I get the .308 only because of M80 ball ammo.

What are the 260s and Creedmores getting, MV wise from a 140gr projectile out of a 16" barrel? Designed as I specified above I believe the Grendel could safely get close to 2300 fps MV.

My 14.5 Grendel gets 2450 or so with factory Hornady ammo, a 16" should be in the same ballpark.

I am with you. I personally would love to see the 6.5x47 lapua as I am already all geared up for this caliber and it is the most accurate of everything I shoot. I know this anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much.

I don't see the reason to categorize every rifle into one specific use (CQB). The only CQB mine would likely see is a coyote or deer. I look at a bullpup as just a shorter and lighter rifle. If the accuracy is as good as I hope I don't see why it wouldn't be as good or better "DMR" than anything else that shoots sub moa.

Bullpup are not lighter! In fact they seem heavier because it's smaller and more compact. Easier to throw around but overall they weigh more.

I spoke to Desert Tech and they will be several 6.5 rounds in the MDR... it's still a prototype. So we will wait and see

Bullpup are not lighter! In fact they seem heavier because it's smaller and more compact. Easier to throw around but overall they weigh more.

I spoke to Desert Tech and they will be several 6.5 rounds in the MDR... it's still a prototype. So we will wait and see

I beg to differ. My SCAR 17 is 7.9lbs and considered a lightweight rifle for .308. The DT MDR is supposed to tip the scales at 7.5lbs. Most AR10s are a fair bit heavier, 9lbs+.

I am with you. I personally would love to see the 6.5x47 lapua as I am already all geared up for this caliber and it is the most accurate of everything I shoot. I know this anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much.

I don't see the reason to categorize every rifle into one specific use (CQB). The only CQB mine would likely see is a coyote or deer. I look at a bullpup as just a shorter and lighter rifle. If the accuracy is as good as I hope I don't see why it wouldn't be as good or better "DMR" than anything else that shoots sub moa.

Exactly. I love bullpup rifles due to the balance being at mid-point (generally) for off-hand shooting for extended periods of time. Much less strain on your arms. I don't spend much time clearing houses/CQB fire-fighting; I spend a lot of time in the field, at the range, etc. The shorter length is great for portability and dealing with brush and the balance is great for previously mentioned reasons. The larger calibers are great for shooting longer distances. My SCAR 17S (.308) with a 16.25" barrel has been doing quite well at 700-800m. I haven't taken it out further than that (yet). It's no 24" bolt-action, but just because it has a short barrel doesn't mean you need to skimp on cartridge. I can definitely see some advantages to the Grendel, less recoil being one of them, but even the larger 6.5mm cartridges are such light shooting rounds, I'm not sure it makes that much difference. If you've shot both, I'd love to get your take on this. I've only shot the bigger 6.5mms, as nobody I know/have ever met has a Grendel.

For the vast majority of people using these for (unless DT gets a military/police contract) I suspect DMR is a better role. That said, it'd be cool if DT puts out a small 6.5mm and a larger one as well, then everyone can be happy. My vote would be the larger 6.5mm, first, obviously.

...I don't see the reason to categorize every rifle into one specific use (CQB). The only CQB mine would likely see is a coyote or deer. I look at a bullpup as just a shorter and lighter rifle. If the accuracy is as good as I hope I don't see why it wouldn't be as good or better "DMR" than anything else that shoots sub moa.

Think of it as a design parameter. You start with a end goal or a need and you establish parameters/requirements that get you to the best end product possible. DTA didn't design the MDR on the platform they did just because that thought it looked cool, they felt it best meet the end goal.

That being said, just because you design/categorize it as a CQB rifle doesn't mean you can't utilize it as a precision rifle if you feel it and you are capable of that.

Ideally you want a rifle that excels in one area at the very least. And then if it can be competitive in other areas that's a big plus. If you design anything to just be a pretty good in all areas, then you have an average design that'll normally get lost in the noise in a competitive environment,