• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Target Cam

Jummy

(*_*)
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2014
Dallas TX
I recently saw the Targetcam from Targetcam.net so I decided to make my own.

Here are is the list of stuff I bought
2 12 v 8Ah batteries with charger from Cabelas http://tinyurl.com/mmbbcz2
1 Plano Gun Guard 4 pistol Case http://tinyurl.com/mrnkjul $30 ( I should have shopped around first. This case is only $14.89 on amazon) http://tinyurl.com/lfk4fsr
1 7in LCD screen From ebay $9
1 2ghz 8ch 800mW Transmitter and Receiver from ebay http://tinyurl.com/l53njrx $60
1 3.6mm Security camera ( I had extras laying around ) Any camera would work. But the 3.6mm lens was going to have the camera too close to the target so picked up this lens for the camera and switched it out. Its a 16mm lens.http://tinyurl.com/m2v7nzr
1 El Cheapo Tripod from walmart : $15.

Some foam sheets from walmart. To separate the screen and battery section

Some wires and connectors are needed

I should be able to get at least 1000yard Range from it.

There are some things i need to figure out on it.

Here is what it looks like so far....

20140424_103450_zpsjufntuos.jpg

20140424_130522_zps023l4rvg.jpg

20140425_135830_zpsvbwbamwu.jpg

20140505_222907_zpsonb2adym.jpg

20140505_222754_zpsy0qbafud.jpg

20140505_222746_zpseyzhd2go.jpg

20140505_222639_zps3sbtdsay.jpg

Last edited:
Sweeeeet let us know how it works... It would be nice to have something that works at a mile... But the price that these things are selling for I s a hard pill to swallow.

Sweeeeet let us know how it works... It would be nice to have something that works at a mile... But the price that these things are selling for I s a hard pill to swallow.

Hopefully it can work at 1k yards first then my next goal will to get it work at a mile. Yea the price is pretty steep on them if you are buying off the shelf, which is why I decided to make one myself for a fraction of the cost.

Very Nice. Must get back with report. It's a must have :)

transmitter and Receiver came in today! Hopefully Ill have everything together and tested to get you guys an update.

What did you use to cut the foam? Is the LCD screen mounted or is tension from the foam holding it?

I used a Snap-Off Utility Knife to cut the foam. The LCD is held up by 6 pieces of 3M 20lbs Rated Double stick tape plus the Strap that suppose to hold the screen to a headrest but i cut 2 slots in to the case to slide then through to hold the screen also. Ill take more pics of it when I'm done.

I have made more cuts in to the foam to hold both batteries and a Joby DSLR Tripod. I will need to cut a spot for the Transmitter and Receiver also.

I'm curious on how that 3.6mm lens will work. I made close to the same system but it was too far away with the standard lens. I think I ended up getting a 16mm lens and now I can get about 4' away with it. I'm also anxious to hear what kind of range you're getting with that 800mW system. I'm running a 200mW.

Here's my system when I finally got it up and running.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 35
I'm curious on how that 3.6mm lens will work. I made close to the same system but it was too far away with the standard lens. I think I ended up getting a 16mm lens and now I can get about 4' away with it. I'm also anxious to hear what kind of range you're getting with that 800mW system. I'm running a 200mW.

Here's my system when I finally got it up and running.

Yours looks good. what kind of range do you get out of yours?

Hopefully the camera i have works out for me.

I just got home from work and took some more pics. Hopefully ill be able to work on it soon. Working 10hr shifts doesn't give me much time work on it.

Yours looks good. what kind of range do you get out of yours?

I've only tried it at about 330 yards which is the longest line of sight area I had available. I'll be shooting at 300 yards or less so that's all I really need... For now.

How is the camera wired to the transmitter? Just a little curious. Is there a way to connect them to a laptop or tablet and just record the video that way?

-Dick-

How is the camera wired to the transmitter? Just a little curious. Is there a way to connect them to a laptop or tablet and just record the video that way?

-Dick-

The camera has a BNC connector that is converted to RCA and the RCA end plugs in to the Transmitter. Im pretty sure a RCA to VGA will work to get it connected to a laptop. as for a tablet I think you will need to make an app for it.

There is another method I thought I'd throw out. That using a wireless router and camera. The great thing about this is you can use an Ipad, android device instead of having to buy a screen too.

I purchased all the parts, and can't get the router to link to camera,,,, its one of those "smart" routers and doesn't have a darn plug! So I can't just plug it in. Just need the IP address of the camera, and can't get that until the darn router sees the camera, I'm sure a IT guy could do it quickly,,,,I am not!

So I can either buy another router, or the transmitters listed above and the screen. Basically just wanted to point out to folks other routes,,

Last edited:
There is another method I thought I'd throw out. That using a wireless router and camera. The great thing about this is you can use an Ipad, android device instead of having to buy a screen too.

I purchased all the parts, and can't get the router to link to camera,,,, its one of those "smart" routers and doesn't have a darn plug! So I can't just plug it in. Just need the IP address of the camera, and can't get that until the darn router sees the camera, I'm sure a IT guy could do it quickly,,,,I am not!

So I can either buy another router, or the transmitters listed above and the screen. Basically just wanted to point out to folks other routes,,

But how far is that router going to transmit?

There is a commercial system that goes 1 or 2 thousand. The router I purchased stated 1000yards. They have booster antennas out there too.

The commercial system is bullseye cameras or something like that,,,,,,,pretty nice unit and very affordable compared to some

And their software it pretty cool too, I downloaded it off iTunes just to check it out,,,,don't own a system

Well, figure I'd followup with a link. I'll end up building my own. But I thought this was a decent system. 550 bucks and 1000 yards. And no build. Just posting for those interested. I have no affiliation or working knowledge of this product

https://www.bullseyecamera.com/shop.html

Well, figure I'd followup with a link. I'll end up building my own. But I thought this was a decent system. 550 bucks and 1000 yards. And no build. Just posting for those interested. I have no affiliation or working knowledge of this product

https://www.bullseyecamera.com/shop.html

I'm Pretty everyone is aware of all the target camera systems out there but a bunch of people rather just build one for a fraction of the cost but get the same results.

Let us know how yours turns out when you get it built.

Last edited:
So I got the transmitter and receiver in. I need to do some more trouble shooting on the transmitter as its not sending a clear picture through. It maybe a defective transmitter or receiver. Im gonna order another transmitter and see what happens

Ok--- Interested in the thread. If you DIY, fantastic, more power to you, but it seems we are comparing apples (target cam) to something else.. I often self-spot thru a 25x scope. To clarify, when shooting ELR, I pull the trigger wait for the TF and look for the signs of impact in a couple of seconds, 4-5 seconds later (caliber, AD and distance dependent), maybe if you have everything working in your favor your get an audible confirmation.

I absolutely get the need for FPV for the spotter, but If you are not recording, how can this be valuable to a solo shooter?