• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

do You Spank Your Kids

Hi Speed

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2006
Chester, S.C.
J just saw on yahoo that a study done in canada showed corporal punishment was linked to making kids a little slower than their unspanked counterparts.

FWIW I must be dumb as Sh*t because I got my Azz tore up and sometimes preemptively by my dad. I think I'm a better person for it. I spank my youngan but have often wondered if it does any good.

Re: do You Spank Your Kids

Yes and only when they misbehave which isn't too often as they iniqvi will soani them

I haven't had the need to yet, up till now stern looks and harsh language have sufficed. I have gone the less physical route, an ice cold shower when needed to correct less than desirable behavior.

I don't have any kids, but my Mom use to beat my ass when I needed it... Haven't been in any *real* trouble in my life, so it must have worked?

Dont have kids, but as a kid, I did get my ass handed to me my far share. Made me realize 1) when your parents tell you to do something, its not up for conversation, just fucking do it 2)when they wake you up, you get up because a bucket of cold water at 3am on you is the shits 3)its not a democracy 4)they are your parents, its their house, they make the rules, either you obey them or get the fuck out 5)you have chores to do, do them in a timely manner 6) when you are told the vehicle is leaving in 5 minutes, it doesnt mean 10 it means 4 you be in it, or you are sitting at home

My kid usually straightened up when I fired a couple of shots through the ceiling...

The upstairs neighbors hated My kid.

I looked up a similar study, seems like the sample group did not come from a large enough demographic to establish a proper correlation.

I tell you this, I was spanked with the belt and I kept my self in check. I spanked my children with my hand (a mentor later shared that you can feel how hard you are spanking and wont just be venting).

My oldest are 17 and 21, their pants are around their waist, they say "yes sir", no Ma'am, and conduct themselves as good American young adults should. Now laziness may be something altogether different. Maybe I knocked the energy right out of them...

Since civilization has been raising kids with spankings since, oh I dunno, the dawn of man haha I'm going to continue the tradition. But there is a line between correcting behavior, and abuse.

I know you read this in an article, but if you ever get into a discussion with someone who thinks spanking is wrong, it's fun to ask them if they we're spanked as a child. If they are older than 20, 25ish, the answer is usually yes. Then ask them if they have any of the problems/issues that they claim spanking leads too. Guess what the answer is...haha Gets people so riled up!

Yes. Very infrequent but yes. So far so good. One is a nurse, married with one kid, no tattoo's and is a "good girl" drop dead beautiful also not just because I am her dad, son is an "A" student and will be attending Arizona State next year, third is honor role and another "good girl"

I was spanked with anger as a child.

When the time comes for me to spank my child (and it will), I will be 100% sure that I won't be doing it having lost my temper like my father. I will gain my composure and ensure I'm correcting behavior and not having an emotional response.

Well if you asked my kids, I more hit for distance! You its like they say, kill the first and word travels. I got onto one once and they saw that its not a good idea to piss off dad like that so know they know.

Always told My kid not to let what happened to His older brother happen to Him. But Dad...I don't have an older brother.

Not any more, Kiddo.

I feared my father, and when I did something wrong, I knew he was going to know about it which made things ten times worse.

Now kids are told that any sort of spanking is abuse and you could go to jail for it.

I'm too afraid to spank my children, only because if they said something to someone in class, and a liberal-minded teacher got wind of it, I'd have social services at my house for doing my fucking job as a parent.

Instead I just take away cell phones, Facebook access, video games and give them a book and say "This is all you have now, enjoy it.".

Everyone go wipe your vag's....I used to be spanked every day ehen I was younger.. and ya know what... I deserved it. I was a hellian of a kid. Spanking is a perfect act of displinary action. There is a difference between spanking and abusing the shit out of your kid.... SO after wiping the drippage of your lips.. go spank your nearest kid for the hell of it
laugh.gif

damn right I spank my kids... am I scared someone will call it abuse... hell no, I'm scared that they'll be lazy worthless POSs that never leave my house and dump their offspring on my to raise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Always told My kid not to let what happened to His older brother happen to Him. But Dad...I don't have an older brother.

Not any more, Kiddo. </div></div>

Funny, that's kind of what I tell mine. Except I tell them it's a shame they didn't get to know my last family.lol I got my ass handed to me alot when I was a kid by my mom, my dad only whipped me twice in my whole life, I deserved both of them and will never forget them as well. My kids get one when I feel they need it, it builds character.

I got my fair share. I'm 30 years old, 6'2", 220 lbs. My father is 53yo, 5'7", 175 lbs and it's still Yes Sir, No Sir.

Edit to add: Hot wheels tracks will make you straighten up real quick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm too afraid to spank my children, only because if they said something to someone in class, and a liberal-minded teacher got wind of it, I'd have social services at my house for doing my fucking job as a parent.

Instead I just take away cell phones, Facebook access, video games and give them a book and say "This is all you have now, enjoy it.". </div></div>

LOL! On that subject, my best friend when he was 14 his dad was going to lay into him for something (and rightfully so, knowing him). Well Bryan got the idea he would threaten to call cps if his dad got into him. Dads reply, "son thats fine."

His dad walked over, got the phonebook, took down the number, handed him the phone and told him, "Son, go ahead and call. They will send me to jail. But remember one thing, it will take them 30 mins to get here, and that is 30mins you are going to spend with me. If I am going to go to jail, I might as well make it worth it."

Bryan didnt make the call, but did get his ass whopped and learned to NOT threaten his father.

Don't know, I'm too stupid.
Belong to MENSA. IQ of 173.
Made 1468 on my SAT.
Was second in my flight school class.
Have a BBA and MBA from Georgia Tech along with a BFA from the University of Georgia.
ASQ Certified Quality Manager and Engineer.
Was the Southern Regional Manager for the L.S. Starrett Corporation. (I can read a mic)

My Momma wore my ass out at least twice a week. With privet switches and a little red plastic belt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feared my father, and when I did something wrong, I knew he was going to know about it which made things ten times worse.

Now kids are told that any sort of spanking is abuse and you could go to jail for it.

Instead I just take away cell phones, Facebook access, video games and give them a book and say "This is all you have now, enjoy it.". </div></div>

Uh, where to start? I had my ass whipped my fair share of times, not to any ill effect. Discipline your kids or tax payers will..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know, I'm too stupid.
Belong to MENSA. IQ of 173.
Made 1468 on my SAT.
Was second in my flight school class.
Have a BBA and MBA from Georgia Tech along with a BFA from the University of Georgia.
ASQ Certified Quality Manager and Engineer.
Was the Southern Regional Manager for the L.S. Starrett Corporation. (I can read a mic)

My Momma wore my ass out at least twice a week. With privet switches and a little red plastic belt. </div></div>

IQ of 173! daaamnn dude ....wanna trade brains? =D

lucky sob :p

I had a psychotic mother who used to abuse andbeat me all the time for nothing. Dad was gone three weeks at a time so he couldnt see what was going on. When he got home she would lie and tell him what a rotten little monster I was and then he would beat me. All it made me do was hate her miserable ass and become a mean violent little son of a bitch. Im lucky I survived. Fortuunately I had a couple of other GOOD role models which helped a lot. Fuck that shit. Thanks primarily to her abuse I never had any kids but if I did and if anyone ever laid a hand on my kid they would be a dead son of a bitch.

Personally Im against corporal punishment. There are better ways. If yu spend the time to teach them the right way, you wont have to waste the time beating them.

Flame on, motherfuckers.

I spanked mine until they were about 10years old. Since then they have not needed major punishment that could not be handled by restriction or chores. Most of the spankings were for stuff that could get you killed or maimed.

I got spanked growing up, and the sound of my father's belt being yanked off his JCpenny work pants will always be with me. I also got a few hacks in school with a paddle board, and a creative PE teacher had ouch routered bacwards in his paddle. If he squared you up in gym class, it left a temporary tattoo on your ass. I also got a bar of soap in my mouth, and I DESERVED it. It got my attention, and I don't have any lingering problems because of it. I spanked my son, and he's almost 20 and turned out pretty damn well! Of course, I may be just a little biased.but stern words only go so damn far.

I was spanked and turned out fine. There is a difference between being abused and beaten and being spanked. I deserved 99% of the whoopins I got, and I got them with great frequency from 4-9 years of age. I turned out just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Edit to add: Hot wheels tracks will make you straighten up real quick </div></div>

Oh Snap! Forgot about those, especially for leaving legos on the floor. Damn... the horror..the horror.....

Yup, I got it too. If/when I have kids, they'll get it to if called for.

Obviously there is a line between discipline and abuse, some don't know where that line is, lets not paint with too broad a brush, and say it is all bad.

For all the crybabies whining about spanking.... look at the lazy, worthless, and DISRESPECTFUL generation currently being raised. Enough said.

I got spanked my fair share growing up. My parents did well in never doing it in anger though. I remember "the chats" we'd have right before a spanking regarding what I did, what I should have done, why it was wrong, etc. Those were the worst as the anticipation of my dad's braided belt just kept growing.

I also remember in my early teens getting the "I think I might be able to take him" ideas. Then one day at the hunting club I saw him pulling nails and he bent the shaft of the metal hammer. Never again did I need a whooping.

Now I'm 25, graduated college, own my house, and am a Welding QA Engineer for nuclear components. I'd say I turned out well. My parents might disagree as they're wanting grandkids.

I am 50 and my Momma is just now coming up for parole, read the Bible, children need to be disciplined.

I personally don't believe it does anything more then teach kids to get physical when they get mad at someone. My dad used to spank me and my brother, my brother would cry and I would laugh at my dad when he spanked me.

I believe in punishment but you do that by taking privileges and free time. That is what means the most to the rugrats. When mine are of age to understand what Im saying I will discipline them but I wont raise a hand to them unless they have REALLY screwed up.

There is a difference between using corporal punishment as a disciplinary tool and abuse....some of you clearly can't tell the difference.

The first is a perfectly effective and appropriate method, the latter results in those issues commonly blamed on the first.

I do spank. But I'm sure not to hurt them physically. I think its more of an attention getter than anything else. When I want to "punish" them, I take all their toys away and confine them to their room. Boredom sucks. I'm no father of the year. For what its worth . . . .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally don't believe it does anything more then teach kids to get physical when they get mad at someone. My dad used to spank me and my brother, my brother would cry and I would laugh at my dad when he spanked me.

I believe in punishment but you do that by taking privileges and free time. That is what means the most to the rugrats. When mine are of age to understand what Im saying I will discipline them but I wont raise a hand to them unless they have REALLY screwed up. </div></div>

Thats how Ive come to see it.

Wow, Im glad you started this thread, Hi Speed. I really needed to get that out. Ive been carrying that anger around for more than 50 years. Its like something lifted off my heart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a psychotic mother who used to abuse andbeat me all the time for nothing. Dad was gone three weeks at a time so he couldnt see what was going on. When he got home she would lie and tell him what a rotten little monster I was and then he would beat me. All it made me do was hate her miserable ass and become a mean violent little son of a bitch. Im lucky I survived. Fortuunately I had a couple of other GOOD role models which helped a lot. Fuck that shit. Thanks primarily to her abuse I never had any kids but if I did and if anyone ever laid a hand on my kid they would be a dead son of a bitch.

Personally Im against corporal punishment. There are better ways. If yu spend the time to teach them the right way, you wont have to waste the time beating them.

Flame on, motherfuckers. </div></div>

No flames. What you went through IS child abuse. There is a difference. I'm almost an antique now and I vividly remember the only time I got the belt. I got smacked on the arm by my grandmother (I was adopted by my maternal grandparents) with a metal spatula for doing something when I was 5 or 6. And I did do it, but decided I wanted payback.

Waited in the basement for my grandfather to get home from work. He asked what was wrong, I said I got hit for nothing. He flew up the stairs, they argued for a minute until he figured I was lying. That's when I got the belt. I can tell you this, I never lied to that man again. Did I deserve it? Hell yes. Did I have any bruises or marks? Don't know, but I learned my lesson.

And FYI, the worst thing my grandmother ever did was get one moving violation her entire life. My maternal great grandparents came through Ellis Island in 1912. They disciplined their 3 kids with a cat o' nine tails. So a smack on the arm with a spatula was a quantum leap forward from someone who'd essentially been whipped as a child.

Fast forward. I always wished I'd grew up on a farm instead of what I had as a kid. When I finally found out who my real father was I researched him via internet. Guess what I found out? He was a farmer and he damn near single-handed the end of corporal punishment at home. One of my half-brothers got beat so bad with a belt by him that he couldn't sit in his chair at school and he was covered with bruises and cuts. Teacher sent him to the school nurse and they were like wtf? Seems my biological father had a bad habit of getting drunk and handing out beatings.

To make matters worse, after he beat the kid THAT time, he turned around and beat him again a few days later (drunk again most likely) because the kid was a "rat". I can only imagine what would've happened to me if my mother would've ended up with him.

My daughter might've gotten some swats on her butt when she was still in diapers. Mainly for getting into things she wasn't supposed to be touching that could hurt her. I really can't see it doing much good after they've gone into kindergarten.

YOU, as a parent should've taught your child right and wrong by then. You can't legislate good parenting by saying you can't spank, etc. The law ought to be able to tell the difference between too much force for a spanking and when somebody is being used as a human ashtray, as in a history of abuse, not an incident.

A friend spanked his 15 y/o daughter with his belt. Why? She'd been suspended from high school for smoking cigarettes in the BOYS bathroom. Unfortunately, he put a mark/bruise whatever on her thigh and he was invited "downtown" by the locals to talk about it. He was immediately arrested.

You define whether that was abuse. And btw, both his kids were "gone wild" and had just been recently been dumped upon him by his ex-wife as she could no longer handle them. Parents can be convicted of neglect when they can't control their kids and have been arrested for chaining them to keep them from sneaking out at night.

The laws suck and nobody seems to give a crap about changing them. It's a brave new PC touchy/feely world.

I spanked my daughter once, I was angry and she was being a greedy little 5 year old at Christmas time.
Point was made and I felt worse and never spanked her again, nor did I have to because "The Daddy monster" was out!

It worked, but harsh language and the look - y ou give them enough love and POSITIVE reinforcement and you won't NEED to spank them.

Arctic Light - I couldn't agree more. Its hard, but you're absolutely right. If "you give them enough love and POSITIVE reinformcement and you won't NEED to spank them."

EXCELLENT POINT!

If I'm spanking, I haven't been giving them the right POSITIVE attention.

You're the dad. I'm the retard with the flamethrower.

Any discipline without love is abuse. Discipline, based in love, for the benefit of the child, is what it takes to make a difference.

The level of discipline to alter bad behavior is going to be different with every individual and every situation. Just like everything else there is no "magic bullet."

I got caught in a lie to my father once. I was about 9. He gave me the opportunity to come clean and I lied again. It was at this point that he told me that he was too angry to discipline me and that when he had cooled down, he would deal with the lies. I've never forgot that conversation. It was the longest 8 hours of my life until he came home that evening. I've never lied to him again. I have come to hate dishonesty as much as he does. I learned more from that incident than not to lie or get caught.

Discipline is about the other person. It is done to help them. It is always for their benefit.

Abuse is selfish. It has nothing to do with helping another. Abuse and discipline don't even belong in the same sentence. They are polar opposites.

Discipline your child, it will make their life so much better.
Never abuse a child...there is no greater display of cowardice.

Mommy put me in the corner (school teacher). Daddy would back hand me for looking at him wrong (electro-mech engineer/34years in military). One thing is for sure, i was not scared of my dad but I sure as hell respected him.

Me & my little brother got our asses blistered on a regular basis. Every asswhooping we got, we deserved. We both turned out fine. I spank mine if they need it. They don't get it every time they screw up though. I'll put 'em in the corner, take toys, ground 'em, etc. And as far as the asswhooping term, the Southern boys on here will understand that there is a difference in a spanking and an asswhooping. You get a spanking for bad grades, things like that. You get an asswhooping when you did something REALLY stupid and Mom or Dad are trying to beat some of the stupid out of you!

On the same subject my wife went to our kids parent teacher meeting for our eldest boy last night as I couldn't go due to work .

His science teacher told my wife our boy is top of his class . Exact words " noone come close to him . Math teacher is delighted with him . Laungaues , English geography , history and from teachers all said that it was obvious that he was under a strict but firm regime at home . All said he was highly focused and respectful but opinionated in that he presents thoughtful and logical arguments to his teachers on questions and topics . His principal who used to be one of my teachers told my wife he has high hopes for his future and university is certainly one of them .

This boy is just gone 13 . 6,1 and weighs about 140lbs . He fears myself and my wife but in a way that commands respect of our authority . But he is a good kid and I'm delighted with him . As a little treat for the positive report I got him €10 euro phone credit .

As parents we only get one chance to bring up intelligent law abiding kids . If we fuck it up we not only ruin their lives but possibly the lives of their kids as well !

Got the shit kicked out of me as a kid. Had every inch of it coming. So glad my kids are not like ( stupid ) as I was then.
Never touched the oldest I can remember just kept her grounded for years at a time. She is in school in the medical field now.
My youngest is more like me. spanked her a few times then figured out it was not working. Started workin on her head. asked if she thought this or that was a good idea. Let her think about what she had done and what I should do about it. She found out where I stood on things and would not back up. and got in line. Honor roll since 1st grade. Is asswhooping wrong? I dont think so but dont use it as a crutch,and never when you are pissed off.
Some kids (like me) have to learn the hard way to understand things. Took a Drill Sgt at Fort Sill to get my head out of my ass.

The lefties here are trying to push through the law to ban any physical or psychological punishment of the children. In its extreme you can be $#$# over for not allowing your kid to stuff his face with chocolate. Basically i believe the point of such laws is on one hand ability to have legal means to screw you whenever they choose to (make a lot of regulations which noone sane can follow all the time and then use it if it suits you) and on the other hand to destroy the basic unit of society - family. They've attacked family on all levels and by all mediums available to them (porn, tv, internet, laws, education, permissible upbringing, lack of morals, values etc...).

What we do inside of the family is our matter and there is no law or state or higher authority to pass any laws, judgment and force me to uphold that. My kids are extension/continuation of me and my wife and we stand or fall together from birth through good times and bad times to death and if possible i'd return from the whatever is beyond and help some more... The bastards of this world should take a very serious care before meddling into affairs of the family as this is the place a vast majority of good men and women will draw a final line that will not let anyone cross.

I have yet to have kids, but i did get several pretty serious spankings when i was young...and believe me i can still tell you what i did to get them...and it made me a much better person for having it...the worst was when i actually told dad that mom spanked harder...oops that one hurt, and i learned to keep my big mouth shut

If you don't have the respect of your kids by the time they are teenagers, you've failed as a parent. Spanking them will not earn they're respect.

Not spanking them will not earn it either. What ever your method, you better employ something, and do it early, and consistantly. It is pretty rare that I punish my kids at all anymore. If anything, I just say something to them. By now they know what's expected of them, and usually do what's right. But it was instilled in them at a very early age.
Oh, the kids are 14, and 12..

I have one offspring. Never hit her even once. This <span style="font-style: italic">did</span> make for an interesting few years when she reached her later teens. But we made damned sure she understood that she could always talk to us about anything, and that mother nature and society held far greater risks than anything we could dream up. Our job was/is to help, and not to intimidate.

Greg

YES......... raised 2 sons..... they`re good company today and job holding tax paying assets to the USA.....