• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Doping a Rifle with Weaponized Math

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    WTF,

Wind, Target, the Fundamentals,

This makes doping a new rifle beyond simple

1. No inputs, no sight height, no muzzle velocity, no bullet weight, no bc, you don't need any of it, just simple multiplication,
    2. Works regardless of caliber ( rimfire ranges are different, but can work too) All objects fall due to gravity, weaponized recognizes this fact.
    3. Using true data to proceed, it knows where your bullet was so it can tell you where will go.
    4. Works MIls or MOA
    5. The X Factor can be adjusted for location, they are not set in stone a minor tweak is all it takes.

No amount of ballistics can fix bad fundamentals so a priority must be placed on their execution. This data should put the shooter within .2 or .72 MOA of the center.

The Weaponized Math Tables produced on this by @Jack Master are an entire ballistic calculator on a single page. We offer them for free for anyone to use.

if you never leave your home range this is the only ballistic table you'll ever need.

Weaponized Math and MOA to Mils.png

Wepaonized Math MOA.jpeg

Trying to grasp this.... The starting point is a trued setting for 200 yards - your actual come up from 100 zero. Regardless of whether you’re at sea level or 8,000 ft. You need that.

Since this system is gravity based, the X factors are constant regardless of elevation. The Try Dope gets you on 'paper' - then fine adjustments to get water line hits account for atmospheric variables.

This is how I'm seeing this - am I close?

Reactions: Newbie2020
    Yes,

Get a solid 100 yard zero, coming up to 200 is easy, 2 MOA on most rifles, or .5 Mils. Fast and flat calibers might go to .3 or so but you still see its impact close to the target. Then from 200, you can try an X-Factor of 2.48, heck 2.5 will work, to give you 300 if you are lost.

Understand where Weaponized Math was born, In Alaska with Marc Taylor, that range doesn't have a 200-yard line. It's a swamp, so we started it at 300 yards. This is why a majority of our charts don't include 200 as part of the math. You can almost double your 200 and hit close to 300 within your FOV.

We based it off 1000 yards being 100% and we started it at 300, since that time we have adjusted and modified it ever so slightly.

Where I see the only variable that might be the difference between hitting dead center and being no more than .2 mils off is Sight Height. That creates a variation, caliber does not because a 223 falls at the same rate as a 338. Gravity affects all equally so the caliber is not the issue, sight height is. Compare this to a ballistic calculator and the potential for input error, it's 10x greater because of the number of inputs that need to be correct. Here you just multiply.

I have seen a small variation with altitude because it changes things at distance. So in CO vs up in AK, my dope is completely different. 7.4 herein CO, 8.6 in AK with the same rifle and load. That means 800, 900, and 1000, any potential variation can be noticed, but you can also adjust the X Factor. What I did was change 800, 900, 1000 to 1.2 and they were closer for me, but still, most plates at those distances are pretty big, A full IPSC is a 24" body, even at 800 that is 3 MOA of elevation to work with, the minor variation are nothing. .72" x 8 vs 24" / 8 = 5.76" vs 3MOA. As an example of what this means,

IMG_0374.jpeg

This is my 800-yard truing target, that belt is .2 Mils wide, that is how big much you might be off compared. 90% of targets out there have a lot more vertical in them.

End of the day 4000ft of DA might require a minor tweak, but it's minor.

we were all blown away by the simplicity of this in Frank's Mile High Class , dont over think it just do it and love it. I was so worried about how fast my bullet was traveling out of my gun before but now just follow the chart enjoy shooting

Reactions: J-Roger
    we were all blown away by the simplicity of this in Frank's Mile High Class , dont over think it just do it and love it. I was so worried about how fast my bullet was traveling out of my gun before but now just follow the chart enjoy shooting

Something similar to this is how we used to refine dope for our match service rifles back in the late 90s.

There were standard come ups from 100 yds to 200, 300, and 600 yards (the distances used in NRA and CMP rifle matches) that got you on paper. From there you fine tuned and recorded final elevation and windage for each yard line (and position) in your log book.

Read, watched, printed the tables....fun and stress free process (and decent practice reps) doping out some leftover 223 loads I had on the shelf in a new to me 20“ JP PSC11. Both partial MTM boxes were the ends of two different pounds of powder I used up in late 2018. Nice to not need to input a set of data variables into a ballistics program, never did get around to chrono-ing these loads anyhow.

If only my wind reading and fundamentals were tighter or the steel plates were bit larger...🙃 but it was still fun shooting.

So I guess, once every shooter finds their rifle's X factors at each distance, that's the only thing to remember from 200 or 300 onwards when there is no smartphone or ballistic computer handy, right?

We found the X Factor you don't have too

the only issues, are shooter fundamentals and then beyond 4000ft DA you can see a small adjustment at 800, 900, 1000 beyond that you don't have to "find" anything, you just follow the charts,

Weaponized Math and MOA to Mils.png

This one page is an ENTIRE BALLISTIC CALCULATOR in a single sheet,

We found the X Factor you don't have too

the only issues, are shooter fundamentals and then beyond 4000ft DA you can see a small adjustment at 800, 900, 1000 beyond that you don't have to "find" anything, you just follow the charts,

View attachment 7487388

This one page is an ENTIRE BALLISTIC CALCULATOR in a single sheet,
    Got you. Great work. Thank you.

Thank you. I’m a total newbie to all this, and doing some reading. Going to print this and watch the video.
    Thank you!

Reactions: Balor
    Or, don't use tables at all. Just enter the known DOPE for a given round, and this excel formula will give you 4 numbers.
    Use those 4 numbers to plug any distance into the formula on your phone/calculator.

If you are going to need a calculate, you may as well get an infinite formula that works for any range. You can do this in MIL, MOA, inch, whatever as well.

NoDopes.png

Here are the offical ballistics for a .338 Lapua 285gr Hornady ELDM.

Say I want to know the drop for 775 yards. Drop would be around -126.8in a*R^3 + b*R^2 + c*R + D

I whipped this up this morning with 3rd degree poly. I'll try a couple exponential to see if it simplifies the formula a bit for easy calculator/phone usage.

Attachments

• NoDopes.png
      NoDopes.png
      16.6 KB · Views: 111
    hi can you share with us this excel file ? @NoDopes
    You just need to enter in that formula.

LINEST( [drop], [range]^(1,2,3),1,0)

Replace drop and range with a range selection of your known values.
    It will return the R values for the formula.
    I'll attach an actual example spreadsheet later today.

• Love
    Reactions: Balor
    If updated and included an example of what happens when enter just a couple early of few distributed measures..
    With only 100-300 datums, it ends up being off by 10" at 1000 yards, so you'll always want to try to include a longer range dope to keep all the estimates under 1" of error. Let me know if you have a problem opening this.. it's a gzip, but zip should work. @ilkerlola59

DopeCalc.png

Attachments

• DopeCalc.ods.zip
      14.1 KB · Views: 101
    Forgive my ignorance, but I have read of something called vertical deflection caused by wind drift. Does that play any part in this process at longer ranges, or is it insignificant enough as to be discounted?