• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FEDEX BUSINESS GRANT: VOTE FIRE KNIVES

there's a bit of a gap in the market for a small skinning knife with a decent alloy in the 100$ range.

Funny you should say that. My design tha has actually taken months to get exactly right, an to a point where once I get the right metal I ca make the pre production version where I am happy with it, I'll be making one.

Here's the thing on that:
Tanto blade with 2" sharpened false edge, fire edge treated for hamon line, Triangle shape for max strength
3.5" or 4.5" blade?
Handle is already a done deal, kind of a coffin shape, wider up front, narrower at the back, 45" long, G10(tryingto decide on smooth polish, or cut in grooves)
Kydex sheath, with belt loop
On request, handle can be Black Walnut, ebony or natural stain with poly coat, or other exotic hard wood(I have access to many with cool hardwood floor company right here in Clarksville.
Depending on supplies etc, looking at <$185

Right now this is on PAPER ONLY, but a current project of my grampa's old broken blade he made from a file is in the works for a friction folder.

I have stuff planned that I am simply working on my skills to get to where I, ME, I want thm to be before I actually mke anything to sell.
A small micro anto I am working on will be my first sale, whopping $65 or so

Reactions: Barneybdb
Thank you all for your daily votes! Whatever Fate holds for me is how I move forward, but what began as a bucket list idea has turned into something I am simply going to do regardless. If this FEDEX thing works, pro level shop is a go and I go HAM, if not, I go how I go, one or two blades at a time, learning by doing, and getting better with each one.
The stuff I need is doable a bit at time, but will take long term planning.

So when ya gonna live up to your name and make a ...'switchblade'?

When my blade and design skills get there, I'll probably make a switch knife. I've always been a fan of tanto blades because they aer so utilitarian and unfancy. I think I can use my skinner/EDC scale design for this, but need to look at some kits to see how the design works. The friction knife I am working on was done in plexi until I had it functioning correctly, and I am now workin with shaped scales, an the shaped blade..close to being finished

Well, I've voted for you more than dead democrats voted for Hillary!

When can I order a Tanto from ya?

I might even be able to send you some interesting material... PM inbound.

Cheers,

Sirhr
I traveled a lot in Mexico. One area, Oaxaca, is famous for the knives they make out of old car springs. Id like one of these

dead democrat voting here, too. And one day, I'd like to talk to you about you making me a "Beaver Skinner".

My grandfather used to run a trapline and he showed me one at a knifemaker's that he fell in love with, and said "If only I had a knife like that 70 years ago..."

I didn't have the ability to pick up that knife right there and then, and shortly after the shop closed up. But I do know about that particular blade style, as he talked of it a lot. So, when I'm rich and famous, I'll hire you to make me one of them.

If you're wanting to.

Just reminding myself what time I can vote tomorrow. Today and tomorrow is it, so get some.

Can we vote today? or is this thing over?
My time as to every 24 hours has not expired yet, but I will give it a go at 14 :20.

With my VA rep working on giving the VA a choice between 100% disability rating or VAIU(100%), I have ben to four appointments so far and am waiting. Each blade I have made so far has pretty much fallen into my lap with materials either coming from the garage, or from back home(grampas old file knife) Each project requires new learning new skills in design and execution. It takes many nights after dinner, and if I can an hour or two during the day to file down metal micro by micro by hand. I did get a harbor freight 4x36 belt sander, but have mostly used it for handles made of walnut, pine or G10.
The reality is I wait for tax money so I can pay the metal I need to make six EDC tanto's with 4" blades.
List of must buy right now to continue and finish what I have is: Kydex, Kydex parts, G10 liner, pin stock, and MAP/Oxy for my torch, a small anvil and I can actually finish what I'm working on now and start initial production. A small microtanto neck knife needs G10 liner and kydex to be done, after clay heat treat.
Working right now, I have the friction knife I am filing away on, and a small micro made from a little piece of what was cut off for my brother, but will need kydex of course.
Medical issues stopped work, and VA takes time so right now I am working with what I have. I also have a ton of black walnut waiting for my friend to get Pogue whiskey stave then send to Eli who will stabilize and send half back with cut scales and some other long term project stuff(a piece 2' long by small rectangle for shirasaya wakizashi 24" OAL) and an ebony handled 7" tanto that is on the back burner in design right now. I have a 5 year goal right now, with a 6 month to 9 month goal to be in production.
My big picture is pretty dang cool, the small steps are legit, but life happens and time is time.
Bing a bit of a house dad keeps me busy washing the occasional load of laundry(I can do dish towels, bathroom towels and washrags, but no clothes 'becuase you shrink my shit'(P6), so dinner preps, and toady I actually DUSTED! That stuff SUCKS!

SwitchBlade, the French Maid.

Wow, what a concept.

Keep up with them knives, then you can 'hire' others to do the domestication stuffs. Wait, you have kids don't you? ;)

When you get to hollow-grinding straight-razors and whatnot, let me know. I really DO someday want a 'beaver-skinner'. As-per my grandfather. You just might be a contender.

Thank you all for your support. I didn't make the top 100. Not mad though. I already had and still have a small scale plan with small goals set up to get to my big picture.
Here and there I'll pick up a few items I must have(gonna get scolded if I buy $20 worth of supplies on payday, but it will let me finish the first sale knife, the micro tanto neck knife. Me, I'm not stopping. I am moving forward with this becuase it is what I want to do. I got plans and goals. Also, I got a lot, I mean a LOT to learn, but as two very highly respectable gentlemen told me, my ideas are sound, and I got w great eye for design, now just work on your execution, and go easy with the file to get rid of the deep scratches