• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

First build 300 wm

Bangin_steel

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2013
Some were Texas
First off new to the site seems like there's a bunch of good experience and ideas here so I'm sure ill enjoy it. Now this is gonna be my first attempt at making heavy mods to a gun so I need so ideas and questions answered not all at one time though, here's the plan rem 700 tac. 5r creakote in 300wm. Then the b&c stock is coming off and it either getting a Manners or Mcm tactical stock. I know Mcm is a time proven company but reading lots of good things about manners including top notch customer service. I like the looks and idea of the light weight eh1 from manners, but will it be enjoyable to shoot? Gun will be used for hunting and i mean packin though some bad stuff in west texas mountians shooting past 4-500 and even up to 1000 yrds but there will be a fair amount of just blastin too. So light eh1 stock or heavier tact stock? Also any one have exp. with this rifle I know they are only about a yr old? Sorry for long first post

+1 on the brake.....I'd say build it as heavy as you can handle.....its better it have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it....if you think about it when you packing through where ever a few extra pounds is no big deal when it helps to steady with the long shots.... that's just me...
Just remember to build it for its primary use.....

When I was 30 years old my heavy barreled .300WM wasn't a problem to shoot or carry hunting but now that I'm about to turn 48 I'm looking for a good brake and there's no way I'll be hunting with it. If I were to do it again I'd go with a medium heavy barrel and a good brake. Just keep in mind that bigger calibers and heavy loads will take they're toll. Also, I'm from Texas so I know what the heat and humidy can do to you, one more reason not to build a 14 pound gun ...

I currently have that same rifle. I have a 5R 300 Win mag 700. I had bolt knob and bolt fluting done by Kampfeld customs then sent action to Vais to have brake installed. Then had it blasted and cerakoted. Then got a manners T4 with mini chasis and mounted a NF 5.5-22x56 on it. The Vais is amazing, not the best for prone cause of the bottom ports. But I shoot 208 amax with H1000 and I can shoot it all day. If you have any questions about the rifle or loads give me a shout I can lead you in the right direction. But its a good choice in a factory rifle.

build heavy with and get a good sling, your not carrying it around at the ready all day

I prefer a heavy hunting rifle as well. Nothing worse than having to take a long shot with an 8lb rifle when your heart rate is at 150-160bpm's. My Edge weighs 15lbs and I carry it in my Eberlestock pack and can't tell the difference between it and an 8-10lb rifle when it's on my back. Just my $.02 though.

Thanks for the info seems like stayin on the heavy side is the way which is what I thought I would hear so least im on the right path. Now how about badger ordanance rings and bases? I will be installing a leupold mark 4 4.5-20x50 30mm tube which I already have!

Badger rings are good rings. You'd be fine with with any thee the high end rings/mounts though if you still need to buy some. Leupold MK4's, NF, Badger, Seekins, Spuhr, etc.

No scale handy at the moment but I would guesstimate in the 13 pound range and I really dont mind it at all. I have used the rifle on several hunts where hiking and climbing come into play and dont really mind at all. Of coarse it spends most of the hunt in a gunslinger except when its show time.

So now I'm leaning towards a normal 5r so I can have the mil spec barrel and not just the 5r rifling. I think the 5r ss has a heavier barrel then the creakote fluted model? Not sure though. So now I just have to pick a stock I'm down to a Manners t6a t2a or Mcm a5 or a3-5 can't decide yet. I think I'm leaning towards the T6a at the moment?