• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting close to college football season.

Eric,
Do you find any irony that we're talking about something I have personal experience with and you don't yet I'm the one in the "wrong"?

So you played College Football and do not realize everything that goes on behind the scenes? Well I don't blame you for keeping your eyes closed.

And for the record I'm bailing because I'm not going to stand for your ridiculous hyperbole. I know the point you're trying to make but I feel you're off the mark about many aspects. We are not going to change either others mind so we've come to an impasse.

Would it be better if I put slaves in double quotes? Or maybe use another word in place of slaves? You know how we use to have white slaves in this country but we called them "indentured servants" to separate them from the black people?

Let me know what word you want me to use Mike and I will glady comply.

You sir have now showed your level of ignorance which will be forever remembered! It's like that old saying" you can't fix stupid" ! Not that unusual for most of the Engineers I know, and I know quite a few! See ya lefftist!

Ignorance about what? Why don't you try quoting me and point out a particular item you do not like. Let me guess.. You do not like it that a lot of people that play sports are not necessarily into it for the 8 reasons you stated above?

You know not all of us are 8 years old.

Yea mike, he never answered my questions about his personal experiences, yep"mother in law"!

personal experience with what? playing D1 College Football? I have none. I have never even suited up on the practice field of a D1 College Football Team. Does that answer your question?

You sir are a truly unique individual. I had only ever met but one like someone I know until you! You are truly one of a kind and you should be very proud for making it to the world record of ignorance. As to your statement to mike above I would suggest a ballpein hammer and some very thick duct tape. Over and out your highness!

Would it be better if I put slaves in double quotes? Or maybe use another word in place of slaves? You know how we use to have white slaves in this country but we called them "indentured servants" to separate them from the black people?

Let me know what word you want me to use Mike and I will glady comply.

Maybe "slaves" gets your point across without being offensive. And I'm surprised you made an ignorant statement about indentured servants. Indentured servants were people who worked to pay off a debt. Slaves with black who were treated worse than animals. Who could be bought, sold, traded or killed with impunity and virtually no ramifications. It was a shameful period of human history.

I know a great deal more than you give me credit for and besides you do not get to set the rules of what's right or correct.

I am not trying to set the rules. I am just giving you my view of things. If you do not like my views.. well just get in line! There are a lot of people that do not like my views on many things.

I am not calling you naive or stupid if that is what you are implying. Personal Attacks IS NOT the Cartmann way. I am just saying that your world of college football is make believe to me. What I see totally conflicts with how you see them. I know you wish for days that were LONG TIME AGO to return again. I do not blame you. I wish for those days too. However, I have come to accept things for what they are now, and just roll with it.

I am not calling you naive or stupid if that is what you are implying. Personal Attacks IS NOT the Cartmann way. I am just saying that your world of college football is make believe to me. What I see totally conflicts with how you see them. I know you wish for days that were LONG TIME AGO to return again. I do not blame you. I wish for those days too. However, I have come to accept things for what they are now, and just roll with it.

I didn't take it that way at all. I think the issue lies is you're confusing my desire and hopeless wish with my actual knowledge of how things work. Where the difference lies between our point of view is (IMO) limited to the value of a college education and how that can/does/should benefit a student athlete.

I didn't take it that way at all. I think the issue lies is you're confusing my desire and hopeless wish with my actual knowledge of how things work. Where the difference lies between our point of view is (IMO) limited to the value of a college education and how that can/does/should benefit a student athlete.

That's another issue I have. College Football players getting degrees without even earning them. I don't want to call out one of my ex-college buddy, so I will not give a specific name. But there is a famous football player that has dyslexia and could not even read at the 3rd grade level when he entered a University known for it's Academic Achievements... long story short, he graduated with a Bachelor's degree. I guess he was one of the good ones, he was able to get the test answers given to him, and use it for the test. A lot of guys can't even do that, that is why they drop out.

I am sure there are stories like this all over America in all Colleges.

I don't know why we just don't set up Sports Boarding Schools like they do in the Dominican Republic. You know, take a kid from his parents when he is 8 years old, and train him to be first and foremost a baseball player, and secondly, to educate him. It seems even the guys who do not make it to MLB, actually learn English and become educated enough to do other stuff in life. Not just that, but they also stay out of trouble. These guys seem to be much better prepared for life than most College Football Players.

That's another issue I have. College Football players getting degrees without even earning them. I don't want to call out one of my ex-college buddy, so I will not give a specific name. But there is a famous football player that has dyslexia and could not even read at the 3rd grade level when he entered a University known for it's Academic Achievements... long story short, he graduated with a Bachelor's degree. I guess he was one of the good ones, he was able to get the test answers given to him, and use it for the test. A lot of guys can't even do that, that is why they drop out.

To that point, I believe in overkill. I think CFP should be held to a higher standard than a normal student even to the point of testing out with a unbiased entity, but I digress as I'm the first to admit that it would never happen.

I don't know why we just don't set up Sports Boarding Schools like they do in the Dominican Republic. You know, take a kid from his parents when he is 8 years old, and train him to be first and foremost a baseball player, and secondly, to educate him. It seems even the guys who do not make it to MLB, actually learn English and become educated enough to do other stuff in life. Not just that, but they also stay out of trouble. These guys seem to be much better prepared for life than most College Football Players.

Eric, you nearly make my point when I say there should be a system nearly exactly like the MLB where you can go straight from HS and you're now a "pro" where you can work your way up from rookie ball to the big show. Or if you choose the college route you have to play by the rules and can leave at any time. That way you cover both bases and you can return the student athlete to the STUDENT/athlete because you know the kids that are there want to be there for the education first.

Discuss pros and cons

The bottom line is the student athlete is given a opportunity to be successful. I never asked or wanted or thought I deserved any more than that. It was up to me to take advantage of that. It's up to every player to do the right things. I asked my roommate in college one time, why don't you ever go out with the boys. His remark was, I'm gonna pay the price for the next 4 years and you boys will pay the next 40 years. How right he was!

So I need to play college football to talk about college football. What is it about playing college football that will make me view things differently than where I see them now? Please Discuss... or not.

In not saying you know nothing, all I'm saying is that would be like me arguing marksmanship with lowlight. I wouldn't argue, I would listen and learn. Kinda like flying into a hot lz with a guy who had only read and seen on tv how to fly choppers. Me, I want the guy who's been there hundreds of times before

Great, so when the college football talk starts and Cartmans douchebag rant ends let me know.

Maybe he can start his own ethics of college football thread in the politics section.

Roll Tide.

I might be a fanboy, but I think Alabama will beat TA&M regardless of whether Manzeil plays or not. Let's face it: most of the "high octane" QBs that show up on the scene have a break-out first season but are never really able to duplicate it. I think they surprise the defenses a little their first year and eventually (the next season) the defenses are more prepared for them, which mitigates their repeat performance.

OPINION:
And while I am probably viewing it through rose-colored glasses, the TA&M win last year was a surprise, but it was by no means a throttling. Take away the 1st quarter and the outcome would have been VERY different. Add in the two terrible 4th quarter turnovers (McCarron interception on the 4th & goal and the fumble by Yeldon) and even WITH the amazing 1st quarter by TA&M, TA&M still would have lost. Momentum is a huge deal and TA&M had it in spades in the 1st quarter. Alabama made a huge mistake in that you can NEVER let a team get 3 TDs ahead of you, not matter how good of a team you may be......just too much to overcome while still having to shut the other team down.

If TA&M beats Bama this year, I will look at them with much more respect. As cheap as it sounds, I think last year was a fluke.

If there ever was an opportunity to go 3 in a row for the NC, this is the year. Alabama has a favorable schedule and by-weeks at the right time. Can they get beat? Absolutely, but on paper this looks to be a very favorable year for them.

Ignorance about what? Why don't you try quoting me and point out a particular item you do not like. Let me guess.. You do not like it that a lot of people that play sports are not necessarily into it for the 8 reasons you stated above?

You know not all of us are 8 years old.
. I know that if they don't learn those things they won't be playing long! Also don't know a whole lot of grown ups who possess all those qualities as well. If you think that's for eight year olds you obviously have no kids! I wander if you ever learned any as well? I have my doubts as well as 99 percent on this thread probably have their doubts as well! Maybe we can do a poll! By the way, this was a thread to talk about your favorite team and through all the bullshit we don't know who that is yet? Is it penn state, Boise state or Lambeth college?

Eric, you nearly make my point when I say there should be a system nearly exactly like the MLB where you can go straight from HS and you're now a "pro" where you can work your way up from rookie ball to the big show. Or if you choose the college route you have to play by the rules and can leave at any time. That way you cover both bases and you can return the student athlete to the STUDENT/athlete because you know the kids that are there want to be there for the education first.

Discuss pros and cons

Seems like you are still living in a Fantasy World. I don't blame you, fantasy is much better than real.

NFL MINOR LEAGUE is not going to happen. It's not about what there should be, it's about reality. There is no need to start a MINOR LEAGUE NFL. It cost money for a player development leauge. Why pay for something you get for free? The NFL gets their players developed for free thanks to CFB.

CFB on the other hand, do not want a NFL minor league either. Why would they? They are making Billions. The money ESPN pays out to the SEC alone is $5 billion. That's $5 Billion that one network pays to one conference.

I have no idea why you are still clamoring of going back to the old days. Too much money at stake here, and why let go of a nice income if you do not have to? It's all about the Dollars.

That's why I don't blame the NCAA for controlling their slaves, heck, if I was making Billions, I too might do everything in power to keep the slaves from getting rights too.

The bottom line is the student athlete is given a opportunity to be successful. I never asked or wanted or thought I deserved any more than that. It was up to me to take advantage of that. It's up to every player to do the right things. I asked my roommate in college one time, why don't you ever go out with the boys. His remark was, I'm gonna pay the price for the next 4 years and you boys will pay the next 40 years. How right he was!

Are they given that right or are they being used and manipulated so others can make Millions?

Running and Throwing a football at a high level is a rare skill. I myself think that anyone that can tip a pass at the D1 level, helping the school make Millions, should be given equal rights as the coach and even the Manager of Ticket Sales (who makes over $100,000+ a year himself).

Then there is the fact that these guys are not really STUDENTS. They are being handed diploma's for doing much much less than the regular student.

Roll Tide.

I might be a fanboy, but I think Alabama will beat TA&M regardless of whether Manzeil plays or not. Let's face it: most of the "high octane" QBs that show up on the scene have a break-out first season but are never really able to duplicate it. I think they surprise the defenses a little their first year and eventually (the next season) the defenses are more prepared for them, which mitigates their repeat performance.

OPINION:
And while I am probably viewing it through rose-colored glasses, the TA&M win last year was a surprise, but it was by no means a throttling. Take away the 1st quarter and the outcome would have been VERY different. Add in the two terrible 4th quarter turnovers (McCarron interception on the 4th & goal and the fumble by Yeldon) and even WITH the amazing 1st quarter by TA&M, TA&M still would have lost. Momentum is a huge deal and TA&M had it in spades in the 1st quarter. Alabama made a huge mistake in that you can NEVER let a team get 3 TDs ahead of you, not matter how good of a team you may be......just too much to overcome while still having to shut the other team down.

If TA&M beats Bama this year, I will look at them with much more respect. As cheap as it sounds, I think last year was a fluke.

If there ever was an opportunity to go 3 in a row for the NC, this is the year. Alabama has a favorable schedule and by-weeks at the right time. Can they get beat? Absolutely, but on paper this looks to be a very favorable year for them.

That was a nice HOMER Analysis. It seems all homers analyze the same way.

Great, so when the college football talk starts and Cartmans douchebag rant ends let me know.

Maybe he can start his own ethics of college football thread in the politics section.

it's not easy being a douchebag. At least you can chose to read my post or not. I have to live with myself 24/7. So if anyone you should feel sorry for, it should not be for yourself. It should be for Cartmann!

Be back shortly guys, got to go to my anger management class!

I have to go to Happy Management class. People tell me I am too happy all the time, and have to learn how to stress more, and learn how to get upset at Internet Posters more. It's not easy, but I am working at it!

Guys , I really do believe cartmans tied up in his moms basement, lets all say a prayer for him! It puts the lotion on its skin!

Seems like you are still living in a Fantasy World. I don't blame you, fantasy is much better than real.

NFL MINOR LEAGUE is not going to happen. It's not about what there should be, it's about reality. There is no need to start a MINOR LEAGUE NFL. It cost money for a player development leauge. Why pay for something you get for free? The NFL gets their players developed for free thanks to CFB.

CFB on the other hand, do not want a NFL minor league either. Why would they? They are making Billions. The money ESPN pays out to the SEC alone is $5 billion. That's $5 Billion that one network pays to one conference.

I have no idea why you are still clamoring of going back to the old days. Too much money at stake here, and why let go of a nice income if you do not have to? It's all about the Dollars.

That's why I don't blame the NCAA for controlling their slaves, heck, if I was making Billions, I too might do everything in power to keep the slaves from getting rights too.

Cartman, just when I thought we could have an enjoyable dialogue you walk into the room and lay a nasty fart.

It's not about living in a "fantasy world", it's not about your skewed view of reality. It's about discussing different opinions. This entire thread and all this CFB talk is about opinion and speculation; there is no "reality" as none of us can predict the future.

I know we are not going to have an NFL minor league tomorrow, however we don't know what's going on behind closed doors. You don't know what type of marketing analysis or projections are being presented. Do you remember how adamant the NCAA was a few years ago about NOT having a playoff system? Now what are we starting next year?

Just because one yearns for better days doesn't mean that's their perception of reality. I'm surprised you seem to be unable to distinguish the difference.

Are they given that right or are they being used and manipulated so others can make Millions?

Running and Throwing a football at a high level is a rare skill. I myself think that anyone that can tip a pass at the D1 level, helping the school make Millions, should be given equal rights as the coach and even the Manager of Ticket Sales (who makes over $100,000+ a year himself).

Then there is the fact that these guys are not really STUDENTS. They are being handed diploma's for doing much much less than the regular student.
Cartman, I beleive that too except for the part about them being students. I agree and have said that compensating them would be good. I just don't know how it could be done in a way it could work for all the institutions.

In not saying you know nothing, all I'm saying is that would be like me arguing marksmanship with lowlight. I wouldn't argue, I would listen and learn. Kinda like flying into a hot lz with a guy who had only read and seen on tv how to fly choppers. Me, I want the guy who's been there hundreds of times before

I rarely learn anything on Gun Forums, sorry but that's how it is. I visit gun forums for the pure entertainment aspect of it.

As for Lowlight, is he your God or something? You do not question him? I did once, told him that a base 10 numbering system (decimal) is just a numbering system like any other numbering system. He did not like that so I got banned for a short period of time. Do not worry, I learned my lesson! He showed me! LOL

Cartman, just when I thought we could have an enjoyable dialogue you walk into the room and lay a nasty fart.

It's not about living in a "fantasy world", it's not about your skewed view of reality. It's about discussing different opinions. This entire thread and all this CFB talk is about opinion and speculation; there is no "reality" as none of us can predict the future.

I know we are not going to have an NFL minor league tomorrow, however we don't know what's going on behind closed doors. You don't know what type of marketing analysis or projections are being presented. Do you remember how adamant the NCAA was a few years ago about NOT having a playoff system? Now what are we starting next year?

Just because one yearns for better days doesn't mean that's their perception of reality. I'm surprised you seem to be unable to distinguish the difference.

How is your speculation better than my speculation?

I will tell you why my speculation is better than yours.. MONEY! Money is a great motivator.

My skewed sense of reality? I do not make reality, it is what it is. I was not the one that paid the SEC 5 billion dollars. I was not the one that make rules to keep the players in bondage. I am not the one using "crack babies" to make millions at their expenses while beating my chest how I am helping them.

With ESPN and other Networkd paying BILLIONS for TV contracts, there is no way a NFL developmental league will get started. The Networks will not back it, College Football will not back it, and even the NFL will not back it.

Now I do see a "B" League getting started, but here, it will be made up of roster cuts and old timers making a comeback. I am sure there will be rules in place to limit the age, say 22, this way the Billions of Dollars a year College Football Industry keeps their machine going.

Trust me, I do not like reality either. However, don't blame me. I am not the one that created all this, and I most definitely do not have any say in how things are run, and how they will run in the future.

It's not, never said it was. I have the addition of my experience but that's limited and aged.

I will tell you why my speculation is better than yours.. MONEY! Money is a great motivator.

You got me here. How is money your great motivator and what does money motivating you have anything to do with our conversation? I'm just not seeing the relevance.

My skewed sense of reality? I do not make reality, it is what it is. I was not the one that paid the SEC 5 billion dollars. I was not the one that make rules to keep the players in bondage. I am not the one using "crack babies" to make millions at their expenses while beating my chest how I am helping them.

No, perception is reality and your perception is vastly different than my.

With ESPN and other Networkd paying BILLIONS for TV contracts, there is no way a NFL developmental league will get started. The Networks will not back it, College Football will not back it, and even the NFL will not back it.

How would MORE coverage and opportunity for advertising revenue not be backed? NFL is big now? Only during a certain time of year. How about development leagues playing in the "Big Show" off season? Sure, it's just an idea but big things come from small ideas.

Now I do see a "B" League getting started, but here, it will be made up of roster cuts and old timers making a comeback. I am sure there will be rules in place to limit the age, say 22, this way the Billions of Dollars a year College Football Industry keeps their machine going.

Trust me, I do not like reality either. However, don't blame me. I am not the one that created all this, and I most definitely do not have any say in how things are run, and how they will run in the future.

Cartman I want your opinion on the following, very realistic scenario.

You have two kids from the ghetto. Let's say they're half-brothers, two different dads with the same mother. Both play HS football on the same team (we'll say they're both cornerbacks). The get a GED out of HS. Both get athletic scholarships to top 25 BCS teams. One parties all the time, relies on coaches and alum to help him "pass his classes" and only has eyes to "get his" in the NFL. He doesn't worry about an education because he's good enough to go to the top.

The second brother realizes he's given a gift. He understands he has a long row to hoe but he puts his head down, makes his mind up and studies his ass off to graduate (barely) but attended all his classes and EARNED his grades and diploma.

Neither one makes it to the NFL.

Who has the better chance at starting a career and being successful in life? Both were given the EXACT same opportunities coming from the EXACT same background. One will probably end up in jail, the other will become George Jefferson.

Opine.

It's not, never said it was. I have the addition of my experience but that's limited and aged.

You got me here. How is money your great motivator and what does money motivating you have anything to do with our conversation? I'm just not seeing the relevance.

How would MORE coverage and opportunity for advertising revenue not be backed? NFL is big now? Only during a certain time of year. How about development leagues playing in the "Big Show" off season? Sure, it's just an idea but big things come from small ideas.

You have two kids from the ghetto. Let's say they're half-brothers, two different dads with the same mother. Both play HS football on the same team (we'll say they're both cornerbacks). The get a GED out of HS. Both get athletic scholarships to top 25 BCS teams. One parties all the time, relies on coaches and alum to help him "pass his classes" and only has eyes to "get his" in the NFL. He doesn't worry about an education because he's good enough to go to the top.

The second brother realizes he's given a gift. He understands he has a long row to hoe but he puts his head down, makes his mind up and studies his ass off to graduate (barely) but attended all his classes and EARNED his grades and diploma.

Who has the better chance at starting a career and being successful in life? Both were given the EXACT same opportunities coming from the EXACT same background. One will probably end up in jail, the other will become George Jefferson.

Opine.
. That was exactly my point about what I think athletics is about. Because so very few will make their living at it. But cartmans thinks learning life lessons through sports only applies to 8 year olds.

. That was exactly my point about what I think athletics is about. Because so very few will make their living at it. But cartmans thinks learning life lessons through sports only applies to 8 year olds.

I said those life lessons are great for an 8 year old. Once someone gets to play Dee One A College Football, they are not playing sports for the reasons you stated. They play for the girls, the money, or I should say potential money.

I said those life lessons are great for an 8 year old. Once someone gets to play Dee One A College Football, they are not playing sports for the reasons you stated. They play for the girls, the money, or I should say potential money.
I did not say that's why they play, but what sports was originally designed for. That's why sports are good. Not just about getting a big payday. In this day and time I think you are correct sir. Damn cartmans, we finally agree on something!

Money has everything to do with what I am talking about. You seem to be upset that I DO NOT think a NFL Developmental League will ever come into existence. I told you why I do not think so, it's about money. Money is a great Motivator.

1) NFL - There is no reason for the NFL to Finance a Developmental League because they get one for free (Called NCAA Football).
2) The NCAA - does not want a NFL Player Developmental League either because it will steal quality players from their multi-billion dollar business plan.
3) The Networks - does not want a Developmental League either. They paid big bucks to televise big time college football. They do not want a competing league that will cut into their profits either. They need to get a return on the big money they paid out to all the big time conferences.

Now maybe there will be some private-business venture that will start one up, but as long as the NFL, NCAA, and Networks are all in bed with each other, it is doomed for failure.

I see you have "HOPE and CHANGE", and I wish I could join you. I live for the moment, and at the moment I do not see this happening. I can't ever see it ever happening.

Last edited:
I did not say that's why they play, but what sports was originally designed for. That's why sports are good. Not just about getting a big payday. In this day and time I think you are correct sir. Damn cartmans, we finally agree on something!

I know sports are good in helping an 8 year old grow up. However, I am not talking about 8 year olds. I am talking about Dee One A College Football Players. Are there any Dee One A College Football players that are 8?

This thread has had some worthy discussion about athletics and pay . I know me and cartman have had our disagreements on here as well as he and Mike. I'm not mad at cartman for that because that makes good debates. That's what makes the world go around and improvements as well. Like I said , I'm not smart enough to figure all out. Cartmans, I hope theirs no hard feelings brother. Now lets get this thread back on track and talk about our teams, and yes trash talk is allowed! Eric I would hope you will start it off by picking your top 5 as of now.

This thread has had some worthy discussion about athletics and pay . I know me and cartman have had our disagreements on here as well as he and Mike. I'm not mad at cartman for that because that makes good debates. That's what makes the world go around and improvements as well. Like I said , I'm not smart enough to figure all out. Cartmans, I hope theirs no hard feelings brother. Now lets get this thread back on track and talk about our teams, and yes trash talk is allowed! Eric I would hope you will start it off by picking your top 5 as of now.

Never any hard feelings. I only attack the subject and not the person. Personal Attacks is not the Cartmann way. Then again, I tone it down a lot for the Internet. In real life Cartmann is a MUCH BIGGER asshole than on the Internet.

Opine.

Either way you look at it, it's a make believe situation. Since you are playing make believe, I too will play make believe. Of course the guy who goes to classes has a better chance in life. Graduating College opens a lot of doors.

Now lets play real life:
1) The player more than paid for his education by playing football for said college. He helped the school get that 5 Billion Dollar SEC contract.
2) The player may have worked his ass off, but most likely he entered the school with a 5th grade education level, and he was "GIVEN" his degree just for showing up.
3) If the guy was a superstar out of high school, most likely he would have gotten an Endorsement Deal if not for the NCAA "Slavery" Rules.
4) Player is not allowed to "work" for big dollars, meanwhile the ticket manager for LSU makes $150,000 a year.
5) Player has to follow slavery rules that the coaches do not have to follow. Even when a coach takes a program in the dirt due to scandal (see Calipari), he is allowed to coach again without punishment for even a bigger contract than his last contract.
6) A coach can transfer and opt out of a SIGNED contract, while a player has to sit out a year if he wants to transfer.

I do not even think you need to pay players like you do coaches, just give them rights that everyone else has. If a Booster wants to pay a player $50 an hour for staring at the wall, than it's nobody's business but the Booster and the Player.

Let's take College Baseball as an example. The reason guys play college baseball is because they could NOT get a big signing bonus out of high school, so they go to college to get their stock up. You may think they would also go to classes and try to get a college degree. However, very few baseball players graduate with degrees. A lot of them get their stock up enough for the to leave. Those that do not get to play, just quit college entirely and try to work their way up through the Farm/Minor-League System.

Money has everything to do with what I am talking about. You seem to be upset that I DO NOT think a NFL Developmental League will ever come into existence. I told you why I do not think so, it's about money. Money is a great Motivator.

Exactly. MONEY. I'm going to tell you why.

1) NFL - There is no reason for the NFL to Finance a Developmental League because they get one for free (Called NCAA Football).

They could have more. More money. There are roughly 119 D1 schools that have football right now. If you take 32 teams from the NFL and each as a three-tier "minor league" like baseball (A, AA, AAA) that's an additional 96 teams. More development, more players to choose from. MORE MONEY. Why does it make money in baseball but wouldn't in football?

2) The NCAA - does not want a NFL Player Developmental League either because it will steal quality players from their multi-billion dollar business plan.

Wrong. Again, look at baseball and many other collegiate sports where there is a professional aspect. You go to college or you go pro; you can't do both. Once you go pro, you can't go back. College will get the quality players that want a free education, the development league will get the "ringers" that don't care about education.

3) The Networks - does not want a Developmental League either. They paid big bucks to televise big time college football. They do not want a competing league that will cut into their profits either. They need to get a return on the big money they paid out to all the big time conferences.

Wrong. Right now those same networks show college on Saturday and pro on Sunday. Now you have the development league during a different time of the year and it equates to MORE revenue stream for the networks. Nothing sells ad space or makes money for TV better than sports. So why not add more sports?

Now maybe there will be some private-business venture that will start one up, but as long as the NFL, NCAA, and Networks are all in bed with each other, it is doomed for failure.

Now private would never work a la the USFL. But if the NFL and NCAA develop it themselves it's guaranteed to work.

I see you have "HOPE and CHANGE", and I wish I could join you. I live for the moment, and at the moment I do not see this happening. I can't ever see it ever happening.

I'm going to ignore your political remark and ask you don't do it again. Live for the moment, enjoy what there is, but don't ever be closed-minded.

Either way you look at it, it's a make believe situation. Since you are playing make believe, I too will play make believe. Of course the guy who goes to classes has a better chance in life. Graduating College opens a lot of doors.

It may be make believe in the sense of the familial relationship but I guarantee both scenarios happen EVERY year.

Now lets play real life:
1) The player more than paid for his education by playing football for said college. He helped the school get that 5 Billion Dollar SEC contract.

No one said either player didn't pay for the education, the point was who took advantage of their opportunity.

2) The player may have worked his ass off, but most likely he entered the school with a 5th grade education level, and he was "GIVEN" his degree just for showing up.

One was. The other decided to EARN their degree through remedial classes and effort. YES, it happens.

3) If the guy was a superstar out of high school, most likely he would have gotten an Endorsement Deal if not for the NCAA "Slavery" Rules.

This is where you live in the fantasy world. IF. Guess what? IF doesn't exist. Currently he CANNOT get an endorsement deal so your point is moot.

4) Player is not allowed to "work" for big dollars, meanwhile the ticket manager for LSU makes $150,000 a year.

Yep, and the he earns every penny. Why does the ticket manager (who is an adult and not tied to any NCAA rules) not allowed to make a salary? Should we cut the salary of EE's just because they like football? No, because one has NOTHING to do with the other. It's a ridiculous comparison. Why don't you ask why a PhD at the University makes $250K a year?

5) Player has to follow slavery rules that the coaches do not have to follow. Even when a coach takes a program in the dirt due to scandal (see Calipari), he is allowed to coach again without punishment for even a bigger contract than his last contract.

Coaches are grown men (usually educated) and are employees not bound by the same rules as the players. See the explanation above.

6) A coach can transfer and opt out of a SIGNED contract, while a player has to sit out a year if he wants to transfer.

Yes, but someone is going to pay for that contract. Plus, see above. And players do not always have to sit out, there are extenuation circumstances, a la Penn State, where that is waived.

I do not even think you need to pay players like you do coaches, just give them rights that everyone else has. If a Booster wants to pay a player $50 an hour for staring at the wall, than it's nobody's business but the Booster and the Player.

Where's your reality? You don't think that happens now? It does, but it's cash under the table.

Let's take College Baseball as an example. The reason guys play college baseball is because they could NOT get a big signing bonus out of high school, so they go to college to get their stock up. You may think they would also go to classes and try to get a college degree. However, very few baseball players graduate with degrees. A lot of them get their stock up enough for the to leave. Those that do not get to play, just quit college entirely and try to work their way up through the Farm/Minor-League System.

Right, you could have the exact same scenario for a potential NFL development league.

Let's look at potential. There are roughly 119 D1 football schools. Let's say, for this example, that each school puts out 30 good players a year. (I use 30 for a round number, 22 starters and 8 special teams). So 30 x 119 = 3,570 players every year. Of the 32 teams they carry 53 players which equates to 1,696 players (I'm not counting the 5 practice squad players). So that's 1,874 additional potential players, the vast majority of which are NFL quality. There are MORE than enough players to support a minor development league.

Exactly. MONEY. I'm going to tell you why.

They could have more. More money. There are roughly 119 D1 schools that have football right now. If you take 32 teams from the NFL and each as a three-tier "minor league" like baseball (A, AA, AAA) that's an additional 96 teams. More development, more players to choose from. MORE MONEY. Why does it make money in baseball but wouldn't in football?

Wrong. Again, look at baseball and many other collegiate sports where there is a professional aspect. You go to college or you go pro; you can't do both. Once you go pro, you can't go back. College will get the quality players that want a free education, the development league will get the "ringers" that don't care about education.

Wrong. Right now those same networks show college on Saturday and pro on Sunday. Now you have the development league during a different time of the year and it equates to MORE revenue stream for the networks. Nothing sells ad space or makes money for TV better than sports. So why not add more sports?

Now private would never work a la the USFL. But if the NFL and NCAA develop it themselves it's guaranteed to work.

I'm going to ignore your political remark and ask you don't do it again. Live for the moment, enjoy what there is, but don't ever be closed-minded.

I like grits too, do you like instant grits?

An American High School BASEBALL player has choices. An American HS FOOTBALL player does NOT. Besides, no one really cares about College Baseball as it does not make any money. It is not even a revenue generating sport. Most likely women's college basketball makes more than NCAA Baseball. The only ones that care about college baseball are the players. In baseball, few top tier players chose the College Route, if they do, they only do it only because they think they can get their stock higher in college, therefore get a bigger signing bonus. You would think baseball players would graduate more than football players, nope! Something only like 5% graduate.

Who is going to front the cost for all this minor league NFL system? You? Can you guarantee a profit?

The NFL, NCAAF, and Networks all have a business model that works fine. Why change it? You are projecting they will make more money with your system, however, they already know how to make money. NFL and NCAAF have grown over the years, huge now. I am sure 50 years ago, no one could ever imagine one 14 team conference getting paid out $5 Billion by one Network. The NFL is projected to make $15 Billion this year alone after making about $13 Billion last year. The NFL and NCAAF already knows what works for them. Why change it? You telling me you know better than them how to make money for them???

MLB is not NFL. Minor League Baseball is NOT minor league football. A lot of the Minor League Teams were in existence even before their MLB counterpart. A lot of the A, AA, AAA leagues were also in existence before MLB. The minor leagues are self sustaining leagues, and for the most part can support themselves. MLB teams do support their minor league affiliation financially, but it's not that much. Minor League teams are really just affiliates, Teams do lose affiliations for whatever reason. So basically, MLB did not even have to set up a Minor League, it was already in place. All they had to do was make a team an affiliate, and send out their poor performing and developing players to these affiliates (A, AA, AAA).

There is no need for the Networks to support the hand that feeds them, so most likely they will not push for any junior development minor league system. Both the NCAA and the Networks want the best playsers out of HS to go to the NCAA. They do not want it any other way. Also the NCAA conferences contract with NCAA and NFL are all long term deals. The SEC deal was a 15 year contract. So if change does come it will be at least 15 years. However, after 15 years, you will just find out that the Conferences will just renew for the same thing for the next 15, but only get more money from it. you think the Networks are going to piss off the hands that feeds them and send the best HS players to a Developmental League?

In addition to all this, there is also the fact that Minor League Football League already in existence. It's called the Canadian Football League, the Arena Football League, and many other "x" league. The major networks do not really support these leagues, and if they do, the games are rarely on TV, and if they are they are extremely low rating. The NFL also does not have to finance these leagues so therefore the NFL get the developed players from these leagues for free. Unlike Basketball, it has been proven that a Football player needs to be developed right out of HS to succeed. Those who try to make the jump to the CFL right away fail miserably. Therefore, the player has to go to NCAAF to develop, this is his only choice. NCAAF is the FREE NFL Developmental league.

I understand you want true student athletes, and those who want to stay in school, play college football.. while those who do NOT want to stay in school should go to the minor leagues. But it's not going to happen. The people who has the revenue stream coming in are going to make sure they keep it. In their eyes, there is no need for any of this to change now. Only thing that will change is they (the NCAA) will relax the rules for the "slaves" aka football players, just a little, they might let these guys "work" but I am sure they keep all the endorsement deals, and all the TV money for themselves.

NCAAF is big business, with a business model that works. There is no need for them to drastically change things. That is why things will stay the same. I don't like it either! The real world is tough man, I wish I too could join your fantasy world.

1) No one said either player didn't pay for the education, the point was who took advantage of their opportunity.

2) One was. The other decided to EARN their degree through remedial classes and effort. YES, it happens.

3) This is where you live in the fantasy world. IF. Guess what? IF doesn't exist. Currently he CANNOT get an endorsement deal so your point is moot.

4) Yep, and the he earns every penny. Why does the ticket manager (who is an adult and not tied to any NCAA rules) not allowed to make a salary? Should we cut the salary of EE's just because they like football? No, because one has NOTHING to do with the other. It's a ridiculous comparison. Why don't you ask why a PhD at the University makes $250K a year?

5) Coaches are grown men (usually educated) and are employees not bound by the same rules as the players. See the explanation above.

6) Yes, but someone is going to pay for that contract. Plus, see above. And players do not always have to sit out, there are extenuation circumstances, a la Penn State, where that is waived.

7) Where's your reality? You don't think that happens now? It does, but it's cash under the table.

8) Right, you could have the exact same scenario for a potential NFL development league.

Let's look at potential. There are roughly 119 D1 football schools. Let's say, for this example, that each school puts out 30 good players a year. (I use 30 for a round number, 22 starters and 8 special teams). So 30 x 119 = 3,570 players every year. Of the 32 teams they carry 53 players which equates to 1,696 players (I'm not counting the 5 practice squad players). So that's 1,874 additional potential players, the vast majority of which are NFL quality. There are MORE than enough players to support a minor development league.

1) I am sure there are guys that take advantage of the opportunity. I am just saying few do, and also you are not giving them much of a choice. Most of them could care a lick about college. Most of them do not even earn their degrees. If you are going to say they got a "college education" just for the sake of thinking you are giving them something in return.. why not just HAND THEM THE DIPLOMA when they sign the letter? Why make them go to class?

2) Yes I know it happens. Every once in awhile a nut finds a blind squirrel (yes I said that in the proper order).

3) I know players CAN'T seek their own endorsement deals. RULE ARE RULES. The Masters want to keep it this way. It's nice to have Slavery laws that favors the Master (just like we did 200 years ago).

4) I think the ticket manager has a right to make a salary. I just think that we should also take care of the players who who enable the ticket manager to make his money. EE has nothing to do with Football, and I am sure if the slave masters of the NCAA ran IEEE, they would make sure they keep the money for themselves.

5) Yes I know Coaches are not considered Slaves. If the player is over 18, he is not considered a grown man?? Someone needs to tell the Military! Rules are great when they favor the Masters and Coaches.

6) Players DO HAVE TO sit out a year if they want to transfer to a Dee One A School right away. Coaches do not. Only in SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES is where a player does not. A Coach can transfer whenever he wants.

7) I am sure it happens now, happens all the time. We just need to make it public. I see no reason for any of us to stop a man from getting paid. Salaries are no one's business except to the Employee and Employer. Only reason Bush got caught was because the Feds came involved after he Bush said he was being extorted (the truth was the opposite as the investigation found out).

8) NFL Developmental League where they get star HS players right out of HS is never going to happen.

9) There is already a minor league football system in place and the NFL does not have to pay for it. It's called the NCAA (for guys out of HS), the Canadian Football League (for vets that get cut from an NFL team), the Arena League (for vets that get cut from an NFL team), and "x" league. It is found that few players from any of these league are good enough to make the jump to the NFL.

Please Discuss...

I like grits too, do you like instant grits?

Personally I don't care for grits, instant or otherwise.

An American High School BASEBALL player has choices. An American HS FOOTBALL player does NOT.

Correct, which is my point. There is a model that would work that would give high school players a chance.

Besides, no one really cares about College Baseball as it does not make any money.

No, YOU don't care about college baseball. It is not even a revenue generating sport.When you say a "revenue generating sport" do you mean it doesn't make CFB money? Because it makes money. Do you know how many people attend the CWS every year? Enough that they just signed another 25 year contract for the stadium, a brand new stadium I might add.

Most likely women's college basketball makes more than NCAA Baseball.

Doubt it. Cite the source because that's BS.

The only ones that care about college baseball are the players. In baseball, few top tier players chose the College Route, if they do, they only do it only because they think they can get their stock higher in college, therefore get a bigger signing bonus.

NO, baseball fans in general also love the CWS. It's a well known and accepted fact in baseball circles. Raising their stock-You mean the exact same thing a football player does by deciding to stay for their junior or senior year?

You would think baseball players would graduate more than football players, nope! Something only like 5% graduate.

Actually I don't think baseball players would graduate more due to the fact they have more opportunities to leave and play pro.

Who is going to front the cost for all this minor league NFL system? You? Can you guarantee a profit?

The multi-millionaire/billionaires that own the teams now. Can I guarantee a profit? That's got to be one of the most stupid questions I've ever seen. I hope it's rhetorical. Can any business guarantee a profit? NO. No one guaranteed a profit when they combined the NFL/AFL, no one guaranteed a profit when they expanded teams, no one guaranteed a profit when they built new stadiums, yet low and behold ALL these things have happened.

The NFL, NCAAF, and Networks all have a business model that works fine. Why change it?

Seriously? Yes, their business model works, and it worked when they were two separate leagues, it works prior to, and after, all major changes. The business model works for baseball. You continually try to grow and improve your business even though it's "working". McDonald's has a business model that works yet they're constantly trying to improve their profits. That's business 101.

You are projecting they will make more money with your system, however, they already know how to make money.

So that's it? They know how to make money so let's just keep everything static and not try to improve? Yeah, that's not how business works.

NFL and NCAAF have grown over the years, huge now. I am sure 50 years ago, no one could ever imagine one 14 team conference getting paid out $5 Billion by one Network.

It's funny you say that. I bet 50 years ago they had a business model that worked. Why didn't they just leave it alone? It worked, it was profitable.

The NFL is projected to make $15 Billion this year alone after making about $13 Billion last year. The NFL and NCAAF already knows what works for them. Why change it? You telling me you know better than them how to make money for them???

I'm telling you there is always opportunity for improvement. Look at YOUR OWN example.

MLB is not NFL. Minor League Baseball is NOT minor league football. A lot of the Minor League Teams were in existence even before their MLB counterpart. A lot of the A, AA, AAA leagues were also in existence before MLB. The minor leagues are self sustaining leagues, and for the most part can support themselves. MLB teams do support their minor league affiliation financially, but it's not that much. Minor League teams are really just affiliates, Teams do lose affiliations for whatever reason. So basically, MLB did not even have to set up a Minor League, it was already in place. All they had to do was make a team an affiliate, and send out their poor performing and developing players to these affiliates (A, AA, AAA).

True, but it still takes money for these affiliations and those affiliations have much to do with the fan base. And either way, the business model works and it's nearly irrelevant the historical aspect of it. The Birmingham Barons (White Sox AA) just built a pretty nice new stadium in down town Birmingham at a cost of 64 million. Do you think the White Sox helped with that?

There is no need for the Networks to support the hand that feeds them, so most likely they will not push for any junior development minor league system. Both the NCAA and the Networks want the best playsers out of HS to go to the NCAA. They do not want it any other way. Also the NCAA conferences contract with NCAA and NFL are all long term deals. The SEC deal was a 15 year contract. So if change does come it will be at least 15 years. However, after 15 years, you will just find out that the Conferences will just renew for the same thing for the next 15, but only get more money from it. you think the Networks are going to piss off the hands that feeds them and send the best HS players to a Developmental League?

The networks are going to do what's going to make them money. And if the NFL says we're going to look at a development league I guarantee you they will line up for the rights to it. And as I've said before as long as it's not during college/NFL season they're already ahead of the game.

In addition to all this, there is also the fact that Minor League Football League already in existence. It's called the Canadian Football League, the Arena Football League, and many other "x" league. The major networks do not really support these leagues, and if they do, the games are rarely on TV, and if they are they are extremely low rating. The NFL also does not have to finance these leagues so therefore the NFL get the developed players from these leagues for free. Unlike Basketball, it has been proven that a Football player needs to be developed right out of HS to succeed. Those who try to make the jump to the CFL right away fail miserably. Therefore, the player has to go to NCAAF to develop, this is his only choice. NCAAF is the FREE NFL Developmental league.

First, Canadian is a different game. Second, it's in Canada and we're not. For Arena (again, an entirely different game) and that stupid "X" league (or whatever the name of it was) wasn't a part of the NFL. You make the development league the exact same game with NFL team direct affiliation and it grows. Take Green Bay for example. Green Bay is a small market with a huge football history. Tickets are handed down through wills and look up the waiting list. You stick a Green Bay Packer minor league team someone close or in Green Bay and it sells out almost instantly. Same thing in Dallas and other markets.

I understand you want true student athletes, and those who want to stay in school, play college football.. while those who do NOT want to stay in school should go to the minor leagues. But it's not going to happen.

Sure, I realize this but we're supposed to be having a theoretical intellectual discussion.

The people who has the revenue stream coming in are going to make sure they keep it. In their eyes, there is no need for any of this to change now. Only thing that will change is they (the NCAA) will relax the rules for the "slaves" aka football players, just a little, they might let these guys "work" but I am sure they keep all the endorsement deals, and all the TV money for themselves.

There is ample possibility for this revenue stream to grow.

NCAAF is big business, with a business model that works. There is no need for them to drastically change things. That is why things will stay the same. I don't like it either! The real world is tough man, I wish I too could join your fantasy world.

NCAAF is big, successful business. You say there is no need to change things but funny how there is a MAJOR change coming next year. My world is much more optimistic than your fantasy, cynical world. Come over to the fun side.

I am sure there are guys that take advantage of the opportunity. I am just saying few do, and also you are not giving them much of a choice.

Yes, few do take advantage but that is irrelevant to the opportunity being their. If they don't have guidance or someone to point them in the right direction that's a shame. But they ALL have the same choice whether they choose one way or another.

Most of them could care a lick about college. Most of them do not even earn their degrees. If you are going to say they got a "college education" just for the sake of thinking you are giving them something in return.. why not just HAND THEM THE DIPLOMA when they sign the letter? Why make them go to class?

You're right, they don't care at all. But If you give them the opportunity and THEY REFUSE to take advantage of it, that's no one else's fault but their own.

2) Yes I know it happens. Every once in awhile a nut finds a blind squirrel (yes I said that in the proper order).

3) I know players CAN'T seek their own endorsement deals. RULE ARE RULES. The Masters want to keep it this way. It's nice to have Slavery laws that favors the Master (just like we did 200 years ago).

Answer this: What advantage does the NCAA have by preventing players from working? Please explain in detail.

4) I think the ticket manager has a right to make a salary. I just think that we should also take care of the players who who enable the ticket manager to make his money. EE has nothing to do with Football, and I am sure if the slave masters of the NCAA ran IEEE, they would make sure they keep the money for themselves.

Actually the ticket manager will earn a salary whether he's in D1 or DIII.

5) Yes I know Coaches are not considered Slaves. If the player is over 18, he is not considered a grown man?? Someone needs to tell the Military! Rules are great when they favor the Masters and Coaches.

6) Players DO HAVE TO sit out a year if they want to transfer to a Dee One A School right away. Coaches do not. Only in SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES is where a player does not. A Coach can transfer whenever he wants.

I said this EXACT SAME THING. So what is the point of this statement?

7) I am sure it happens now, happens all the time. We just need to make it public. I see no reason for any of us to stop a man from getting paid. Salaries are no one's business except to the Employee and Employer. Only reason Bush got caught was because the Feds came involved after he Bush said he was being extorted (the truth was the opposite as the investigation found out).

8) NFL Developmental League where they get star HS players right out of HS is never going to happen.

Never say Never. There would still need to be age restrictions like there are currently for the NFL.

9) There is already a minor league football system in place and the NFL does not have to pay for it. It's called the NCAA (for guys out of HS), the Canadian Football League (for vets that get cut from an NFL team), the Arena League (for vets that get cut from an NFL team), and "x" league. It is found that few players from any of these league are good enough to make the jump to the NFL.

Please Discuss...

Because More is better, especially when it comes to money, right? So if the NCAA is a "minor league" system for the NFL, why not expand that system to a true minor league and make even MORE money?

No, YOU don't care about college baseball. It is not even a revenue generating sport.When you say a "revenue generating sport" do you mean it doesn't make CFB money? Because it makes money.

Do you know how many people attend the CWS every year? Enough that they just signed another 25 year contract for the stadium, a brand new stadium I might add.

Doubt it. Cite the source because that's BS.

The only ones that care about college baseball are the players. In baseball, few top tier players chose the College Route, if they do, they only do it only because they think they can get their stock higher in college, therefore get a bigger signing bonus.

NO, baseball fans in general also love the CWS. It's a well known and accepted fact in baseball circles. Raising their stock-You mean the exact same thing a football player does by deciding to stay for their junior or senior year?

It's not about me. From various sources, the only NCAA Sports that generate revenue is Football and Basketball. Here is one source: http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/REV_EXP_2010.pdf

Last edited:
Actually I don't think baseball players would graduate more due to the fact they have more opportunities to leave and play pro.

So what's the difference between a baseball player not graduating and a football player not even trying to graduate? If your whole motive is to make Student Athletes, it seems College Baseball is not a very good model is it? It seems both football players and baseball players are only there to play a sport to get to the next level. Do you still have the urge to start a Minor League NFL now?

The multi-millionaire/billionaires that own the teams now. Can I guarantee a profit? That's got to be one of the most stupid questions I've ever seen. I hope it's rhetorical. Can any business guarantee a profit? NO. No one guaranteed a profit when they combined the NFL/AFL, no one guaranteed a profit when they expanded teams, no one guaranteed a profit when they built new stadiums, yet low and behold ALL these things have happened.

Seriously? Yes, their business model works, and it worked when they were two separate leagues, it works prior to, and after, all major changes. The business model works for baseball. You continually try to grow and improve your business even though it's "working". McDonald's has a business model that works yet they're constantly trying to improve their profits. That's business 101.

So that's it? They know how to make money so let's just keep everything static and not try to improve? Yeah, that's not how business works.

It's funny you say that. I bet 50 years ago they had a business model that worked. Why didn't they just leave it alone? It worked, it was profitable.

I'm telling you there is always opportunity for improvement. Look at YOUR OWN example.

The NFL and NCAA now can pretty much guarantee a profit year in and year out now. So no need for them to follow your model. They both feed off each other. There is no need for a 3rd Party to get involved.

The NFL and NCAA both want to expand their market base, they do this by going international. That is where the growth is. Starting a NFL Minor League System to Develop Players is a Business plan doomed for failure. It's cost prohibitive. This is why the prior NFL development league (WFL, later to become NFL Europe flopped).

What is your motive? Your motive is to start a NFL Development System for Players right out of High School that is not bound to college right? I am telling you it's not going to happen. Don't get mad at me for saying this. I have no control in any of this.

It's all about Market Share! The NFL and NCAA have done great to increase their market share the past 50 years by various techniques. They have a business plan, they are just not using yours. Again.. don't get mad at me if they do not. I do not have control in any of this.

Want me to write them a letter to try Mike's idea??? I will support you buddy.

Last edited:
So what's the difference between a baseball player not graduating and a football player not even trying to graduate? If your whole motive is to make Student Athletes, it seems College Baseball is not a very good model is it? It seems both football players and baseball players are only there to play a sport to get to the next level. Do you still have the urge to start a Minor League NFL now?

What's the difference? Quite a bit. A baseball player that is a good student but decides to go play professionally is different than a CFP who doesn't give a shit about school.

Making a student athlete is not the same as graduating an athlete. Class attendance and participation can be measured without a degree.

The difference is baseball players realize the value of the education (complete or not) and are more apt to take advantage of it for whatever length of time there are in college. That, and you don't get as many ghetto (what do you call them, crack baby players). I would like to see statistics showing the avg. GPA between non-graduation baseball players vs. non-graduating football and basketball players.

True, but it still takes money for these affiliations and those affiliations have much to do with the fan base. And either way, the business model works and it's nearly irrelevant the historical aspect of it. The Birmingham Barons (White Sox AA) just built a pretty nice new stadium in down town Birmingham at a cost of 64 million. Do you think the White Sox helped with that?

There was no initial investment for Minor League Baseball. The teams and leagues were already in place. All the MLB teams had to do was get affiliation. Why would the NFL invest in a minor league system when they already have one they get for free?

Again, you are thinking the NFL needs their own minor league system. They seem to do not agree with you as there is no minor league NFL. Again, the NFL already has a development and minor league system they get for free.