• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Go See "Gravity" in 3D!

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 21, 2007
    CONUS
    Holy shit, what an amazing experience! It's not at all your typical movie and feels more like a suspenseful theme park ride of sorts. Because it's made of so many really long shots instead of fast cuts here and there, the 3D works really fucking well! Also, this is the perfect film for seeing on a big screen like IMAX as you'll really get the sense of being in space so much better when it fills in your peripherals. And lastly and almost most important, pick a theater with the best sound available. I don't want to give anything away but sound plays a key role in the film, more so than other film I've seen in recent years and seeing it in top-of-the-line Dolby Atmos, with additional speakers in the ceiling is hard to beat.

Last edited:
    Glad to hear this!! I'll check it out tomorrow afternoon. If you say it's good I know I'll be happy with it too.

Yours, Dogtown, is an opinion that I've come to regard as fact over the years.

Finally I'll have another movie to see this month besides "Bad Grandpa".

Yep, totally agree! I don't normally see 3D movies since the effect is, at least for me, typically overdone by most directors, often to the point of annoyance. But I saw Gravity yesterday in IMAX 3D and it was absolutely worth it! Overall, it was extremely well done. Not counting the special effects, the sound design was excellent, the acting was top notch, and the suspense kept me engaged throughout the whole film (probably in no small part due to the number of long shots vice fast cuts that Dogtown mentions). Seriously...Go see it.

Saw it last night in IMAX 3D and have somewhat mixed reviews. Out of 5 possible BTHP's

Plot.................3.5
    Acting.............4
    Visuals............4.5
    Sound.............3.5 though this may have been due to the theatre I saw it in.
    Overall............4.0

I thought it was just a little hokey, kind of like an Indiana Jones in the Temple of Space but left me rooting for Ryan Stone/Sandra Bullock and glad I saw it, though I would have liked to see more shots of earth that were recognizable. The only thing Im sure I recognized was the Suez canal and Nile River with Cairo lit up near the delta. Definitely one to see in IMAX 3D and I agree with the above comment about the sound. Being an audiophile I would like to HEAR more than LOUD. Im probably a bit over critical though, see the attached photo of my home system which is all Pro Audio gear that came from older movie theatres and vintage vacuum tube amplification. The bass cabinets (7 feet long and 32" high x 34" deep) are quite well known in some pro circles.

th_BothRCAs-1.jpg

I love syfy and space, will take your word on it Dogtown and see it tonight...

Clooney for me falls right into “Actor you hate . . . and that hatred is irrational, unreasonable, pointless” thread.

If you dislike Clooney, then this may be the film for you ;)

I've been working in film visual effects for a long time now and it's rarely a case that I walk out of a movie theater wondering "how the hell did they do that?" "Gravity" is one of those films. The animation of breaking of space objects and debris is pretty complicated, but that's within my wheelhouse so I get it, but how the hell did they film it with them moving around with the camera so dynamically? That's something that's easy to take for granted and the only clue to me is the fact that this movie was in post-production for twice as long as most films. In the end, I suspect the vast majority of the film is all CG with the actor's heads tracked in and filmed in a very delicate coreograph with the pre-viz animation. On a side note, a lot of the shots we work on in movies last from one to maybe twenty seconds so that's 24-480 frames and it's pretty manageable. Some of the shots in "Gravity" went on for 15 minutes! It was probably broken into several seamless transitions, but still - that's not easy by any stretch.

ETA: my suspicions about Dolby Atmos were confirmed by this featurette about the sound design work - incredible
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/watch-soundworks-engaging-look-at-the-sound-mixing-in-gravity/

Last edited:
    If you dislike Clooney, then this may be the film for you ;)

I've been working in film visual effects for a long time now and it's rarely a case that I walk out of a movie theater wondering "how the hell did they do that?" "Gravity" is one of those films. The animation of breaking of space objects and debris is pretty complicated, but that's within my wheelhouse so I get it, but how the hell did they film it with them moving around with the camera so dynamically? That's something that's easy to take for granted and the only clue to me is the fact that this movie was in post-production for twice as long as most films. In the end, I suspect the vast majority of the film is all CG with the actor's heads tracked in and filmed in a very delicate coreograph with the pre-viz animation. On a side note, a lot of the shots we work on in movies last from one to maybe twenty seconds so that's 24-480 frames and it's pretty manageable. Some of the shots in "Gravity" went on for 15 minutes! It was probably broken into several seamless transitions, but still - that's not easy by any stretch.

ETA: my suspicions about Dolby Atmos were confirmed by this featurette about the sound design work - incredible
    Watch: SoundWorks' Engaging Look at the Sound Mixing in 'Gravity' | FirstShowing.net

Dog, after watching the clip you included I see what your talking about. In its way the sound was intense, huge and well done. I guess Ive trained my self to listen for a different set of parameters, the perfectly accurate reproduction of instruments and voice. Reproducing a live concert or cathedral organ in your living room. the cinema requires a different set of parameters and they certainly achieved them. If your ever stateside shoot and pm and Ill turn you on to a sound like you've not heard before. thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
    I watched this movie this morning in IMAX 3d after you guys recommended it. It was good but I still enjoyed Rush last week way more. I guess it depends what mood or genre you like. I like most except horror too predictable.

Yeah, it's a completely different type of film than "Rush." "Gravity" is more of a theme park thrill ride, very slim on plot or any of the normal storytelling formula you'll get in a film like "Rush."

It was a really good movie even with clooney's smug ass in it.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Fapatalk 2.

It was a great movie, beautiful film work that I'm sure lots of people will try to copy in the future.
    The story plot is more like Sandra Bullock has a massive panic attack and George Clooney & dreaming of George Clooney helps her get back to on the level.
    I thought George Clooney played it great, totally enjoying being the last man in space.
    I think the best part was how they captured the endless open space in space & the magnificent views of both the earth and the stars.

Some things were a bit annoying like them totally ignoring the Hubble, ISS and Chinese Station being in totally different orbits & most communication satellites being hugely further away, but that would have ruined the story a fair bit.

"Gravity" is that rare film that has some key plot points built around very dubious science yet the nitpicking section of my brain is held at bay by the endorphins generated by such an amazing 3D giant cinema Dolby Atmos experience. I found myself starting to nitpick issues of orbital mechanics, among other things, but that was quickly suppressed - a rarity in my case.

Not sure I've ever seen Dogtown so excited!! LOL!

Apparently he isn't the only one. Gravity set a bunch of records this weekend, so the movie must be living up to the reviews....

Its hard to support a movie that has one of the biggest cocksuckers in Hollywood in it.

Well duh, I work on movie visuals for a living nowadays, so that's obviously an big part of it for me. And I'm much harder on a film's scientific accuracy than the average person (significantly so), but as I said in the previous post, every time the nitpicking side of my brain was activated, thinking "hey wait, that's BS" it was quickly drowned out by some white knuckles combined with some genuine audio/visual sensory awe.

Its hard to support a movie that has one of the biggest cocksuckers in Hollywood in it.
    Viewing every single decision you make in life through a political prism, especially an extremely narrow one, will leave you a man of strong personal convictions who is never surprised. I so hated Indian food until I tried it and now I'm really happy I did.

Last edited:
    Well duh, I work on movie visuals for a living nowadays, so that's obviously an big part of it for me. And I'm much harder on a film's scientific accuracy than the average person (significantly so), but as I said in the previous post, every time the nitpicking side of my brain was activated, thinking "hey wait, that's BS" it was quickly drowned out by some white knuckles combined with some genuine audio/visual sensory awe.

Viewing every single decision you make in life through a political prism, especially an extremely narrow one, will leave you a man of strong personal convictions who is never surprised. I so hated Indian food until I tried it and now I'm really happy I did.

I think I'm good. I only dislike Clooney this much, and if I was so inclined will wait till this movie is free to watch vs lining this pocket in any fashion.

++++ SPOILER ALERT ++++++++

Got to get in before the debris hits...
    Got to grab on before the last handle passes...
    Got to get there before my air is depleted....
    I am so sad about stuff like this guy with a hole in his head....and the picture...and stuff.
    Got to grab on before the last handle passes....
    Dont loose my special SPACE wrench and stuff...
    I feel so sad and helpless....and stuff....watch my tear float...touching...and stuff.
    Got to get inside before the last compartment explodes.....
    Got to put out the fire or close the door...and stuff.
    Got to grab on before the last handle passes....
    I am sad about stuff....Perhaps a dream segment?....
    Got to get there before the last of the fuel is expended.....
    Got to grab on before the last handle passes.....
    Got to jump out just as we pass stuff....
    Got to get in there before it gets moving too fast...
    Got to swim up to...the.....air....on.....earth......
    and stuff.....

++++++ END OF SPOILER ALERT +++++++

There you have now seen the movie..except for the spinning in space....and stuff.

Lord, this movie sucked. Could have been 20 minutes long or one could just go to their local planetarium and spin around until you are really really dizzy....and be sad about stuff...

Last edited:
    we saw it yesterday and enjoyed it... in some ways I see it as a little movie that did a lot.

There were a few roll eye moments, but far less than some of the other movies we have seen in the last month.

If you saw "Children of Men" then you'd understand that Cuarón really likes long, drawn out shots - it's very much part of his signature style and "Gravity" was an opportunity to take that to the next level, I suppose. Even "2001: A Space Odyssey" was groundbreaking for it's many long, drawn out shots with stark detail.

A good theatre is a must to enjoy this visual/audio show.
    Saw it in a UltraAVX 3D theatre which totally immersed me into the action.
    The plot is very thin and far from reality.

i saw it in 3D, enjoyed the visuals, if you can see it on IMAX that would be the way to go. Big screen only movie

Dogtown -

Thanks much for encouraging us to see it in IMAX 3D; I have not actually been to a theater since Saving Private Ryan, instead waiting and watching at home, and my oh my have things changed in that time! The visuals were certainly some next-level shit, and I feel like some of the reviews I read beforehand - that it really is an heir to 2001 - were right on.

Question for you: It was very loud, painfully so at times. Why? Is this normal? Part of movie-goer youth culture or something?

Thanks again for getting us out of the house for that, would not have been the same at home in 6 months.

Bill

Dogtown -

Thanks much for encouraging us to see it in IMAX 3D; I have not actually been to a theater since Saving Private Ryan, instead waiting and watching at home, and my oh my have things changed in that time! The visuals were certainly some next-level shit, and I feel like some of the reviews I read beforehand - that it really is an heir to 2001 - were right on.

Question for you: It was very loud, painfully so at times. Why? Is this normal? Part of movie-goer youth culture or something?

Thanks again for getting us out of the house for that, would not have been the same at home in 6 months.

Bill

Bill, for me the sound was LOUD, but not of quality. I think its loud because its easier to do loud than quality. Not saying that some of the sound wasn't interesting and well engineered but you ear is a very delicate mechanism (if you haven't ruined it with too many loud noises) and able to discern more than you can imagine given the proper training. That's why I showed the photos of my system. In a space the size of an IMax it couldn't produce the intensity of volume, but it could give a much better qualitative experience. In a smaller space like my listening room or even a small theatre you can discern the difference in the type of wood in a guitar, or the placement of every member of an orchestra or choir. A friend who is a classically trained musician told me he could hear the resin coming of the bow of the double bass. But you cant hear that at 140db...it just overwhelms your auditory nerve.

Hey Bill, the actual volume at the theater is controlled by whoever is running the booth that day. There is a normalization process for IMAX though because it has significantly more juice behind the sound than your average theater. So it should be loud, but if it was excessively loud then that was probably something they set at the theater and sometimes that can be on purpose while other times it can be a mistake.

I thought it was by far the most visually stunning film I've ever seen. I'm a huge Alfonso Cuaron fan ever since seeing Children of Men. Long shots and beautiful sound.

Morning gents -

OK, controlled by idiot 12 year old at theater makes more sense. I think had it been set at 75% of where it was I would have heard individual sounds and effects much more clearly - something I can do at home when the discs come out.

Was thinking this morning of how that film may influence the next string of Star Wars efforts. They can't help but notice the visual jump...

Bill

Gravity is an amazing film. Between the visuals and Price's phenomenal score it's a must see. Not to discredit the acting, as it's actually very good. Clooney is downright amazing, and Sandra Bullock holds her own throughout the film. Though throughout the entire movie it is the cinematography paired with the score that drives it IMO.

After i saw it tonight i immediately thought of this thread. I saw it in 2D and afterwards came to realize how awesome it must be in 3D just due to the setting.

I think a thrill ride with some subtle touching/deep moments would describe it. I didn't feel the isolation that i feel when i watch Moon.

Seriously it's one of best scores all around i've heard in some time. Price nailed it, he is to Gravity as Hans Zimmer was to the Last Samurai/Lion King/Black Hawk Down. A better analogy might be he is what Howards Shore is to Lord Of The Rings or John Williams to Star Wars. Wonderful to say the least.

Think i'm going to go see it in 3D this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW-5nL8PXE0

Last edited:
    Though throughout the entire movie it is the cinematography paired with the score that drives it IMO.

The running joke in the visual effects community is that E.Lubezki will win the Oscar for cinematography and not even mention the VFX artists that actually made the visuals you see in the film (almost the entire film is CG), just like last year when Claudio Miranda won for "Life a Pi". The dude did an amazing job lighting those bluescreens! ;)

life%20of%20pi%20vfx.jpg

And before you say "but the cinematographer guides the look of the visual effects", let me break the news to you: once the plates are delivered to post-production, he cashes a check and moves on to the next project and has zero to do with the final look.

Last edited:
    The running joke in the visual effects community is that E.Lubezki will win the Oscar for cinematography and not even mention the VFX artists that actually made the visuals you see in the film (almost the entire film is CG), just like last year when Claudio Miranda won for "Life a Pi". The dude did an amazing job lighting those bluescreens! ;)

And before you say "but the cinematographer guides the look of the visual effects", let me break the news to you: once the plates are delivered to post-production, he cashes a check and moves on to the next project and has zero to do with the final look.

Funny how the Bay Area shuts down when BART threatens to strike. BART says jump, everyone says "oh shit!"

One of the highest trained and educated cross sections of the film community yet the most inept when it comes to fending for it's self.

Yep, my friends in sound design sometimes get frustrated with their union, but they are sure as hell glad they have it whenever they see what's been happening on the VFX side. But...freedom!

I went and seen this last night. This was the first movie I have ever watched in 3D. I haven't been to a theater in over 15 years. Thanks for the heads up Dogtown, we really enjoyed this!

Just got back from this movie. "Gravity" is the best movie I've seen in years. Not only were some of the underlying messages good, but the visual effects, sound, and pace were phenomenal. I cannot remember the last time I went to a movie and didn't wonder how long I'd been sitting there. Oh yeah, Sandra Bullock is beyond hot in this movie. Jesse James, you sir are an idiot.

Can't believe she's 49, has to have had some kind of cosmetic surgery..

Not necessarily. Some people just have good genes and take care of their bodies. That said, traditionally when shooting on film there is an early post-process done called "dust busting" that involves cleaning up the digital scan of the film frame. Now that much is shot digital, this step isn't necessary, however at many studios there's an early "beauty treatment" that is done instead of "dust busting." This often involves 2D artists smoothing out wrinkles or removing unwanted aging marks in close-ups. I remember seeing this in start contrast one morning while finishing up "Flags of Our Fathers." A walked into the screening room expecting to see our dailies session, but didn't realize it was for the other team working on "My Super Ex-Girlfriend." On the big screen in front of me was a shot of Uma Thurman floating towards the camera into a close-up. The plate was raw and as she got close you could see bags under her eyes and the lighting really accentuated her wrinkles. Then it switched to a version of the plate that was cleaned up by an Inferno artist, making her look like a model in a girly mag 10 years younger.

Sandra Bullock's also fluent in German, by the way ;)

Dogtown,

Thanks for the suggestion and work. I went and saw Gravity the other day in Xtreme 3D. The visuals utterly blew my mind. Once seen toward the beggining actually gave me vertigo when it introduced the imaged of the earth with so much depth. The second major action scene almost sent be into Afibrillation. The plot was surprisingly good for an action movie as well. Final note, that was the best I have seen Sandra Bullock look in some time.

This is why "Gravity" is going to win the Oscar for Visual Effects this year (among other things). There's a hell of a lot of stuff that even I had no clue wasn't shot practical. This is some seriously technically creative magic - I feel like a monkey now.

I wish I could convey just how difficult this stuff can be, but it's impossible without an analog to compare it to. The sheer volume and level of detail that's gone into it is breathtaking, let alone dealing with shots that last minutes and not seconds like we're normally dealing with. Thankfully for Framestore, they had a lot longer than most normal productions to pull it off. Now I really don't fault the guy who bailed my team on "Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter" at the end of 2011 to "go to London and work on a film called 'Gravity.' He went from Blue Falcon status to Mr.Smart Move ;)