• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Has Anyone Tried the Thunderbeast Recore Option?

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    https://thunderbeastarms.com/recore

Was talking with Ray Sanchez yesterday about an Ultra 7 to go along with my 30BA and he mentioned a new program they have called "recore", basically they can take the guts out of one of their older suppressors and replace with the new Ultra innards. For the 30BA there is a weight savings of 4-5 ounces, sound level up to 5db better and cheaper than buying a new Ultra 9. It is very tempting and I'm curious if anyone else has done this and what your experience has been. Oh, and by the way, this has all been approved by BATF and you don't need to fill out any paperwork for them, just an RMA form with Thunderbeast that can be found at the link above.

Did it to my 223CB earlier this summer. I can't say there is much of a difference that I can hear or feel for sure but I'm sure there is, I don't have a sound meter. As a business owner myself I've always been very impressed with Thunderbeast and their customer service.

Just had my 223p-1 recored. I did it mainly because it gave me the opportunity to turn a direct thread into a brake attach. It is noticeably lighter too

Planning on doing it with a 30CB9... TBAC makes good stuff and is also a standup company to do business with.

My first TBAC can was a 30BA, and after getting a little experience with it, I jumped at ordering the 30CB9 when they were announced. Hadn't even gotten the stamp back for that when they announced their Ultra series, so kinda hesitated for a few weeks before giving in to temptation & ordering an Ultra 7. I've had the Ultra 7 for a couple of years now, and it & the 30CB9 were the only cans I was using. Decided to send the 30BA in for the recore after it was announced, and got it back in about a month IIRC. I still feel that it was a good investment, as that's now the quietest CF can I own, and it's much lighter than the 30CB9, which has now replaced the 30BA/Ultra 9 as the safe queen, not getting any more use than the SF SOCOM 762 it shares shelf space in the safe with. I typically use the Ultra 7 on 223, 6 Dasher, 6x47, 6XC, & 6.5x47 rifles, and get out the Ultra 9 for anything with more case capacity than those rounds.

I'm also waiting on the stamp to come back for a TBAC 22 Takedown - not a thing wrong with the SWR Spectre II I run on a couple of converted CMP 40X repeaters, but as much as I've liked all my CF TBAC cans, I couldn't see not trying their new RF can against the Spectre, just to see how they compare. Who knows? - with great good fortune, those overpaid folks in congress might see fit to pass either the HPA or SHUSH act, and I'd get my can quickly instead of waiting another year...

Last edited:
    Thank you everyone, sounds like recore is the way to go, if anything just for the weight savings, but knowing there is a reduction in db as well is an added benefit.

My 338BA was on the recall list, sent it in and they replaced the core with the 338Ultra. Extremely smooth process. I think the recall and the ease of the re-coring led them to offer this service for all of the older P-1's, BA's and CB's.

I didn't even know this was an option. I can send in my old 30p1 and the re-core to the ultra innards? How much weight savings? What is the cost?

I just got my 30PS back from Ray at TBAC.

They had it less than a week to upgrade to the ultra baffle stack, convert to brake attach from direct thread and cerakote black again.

My initial impressions were that the can was much lighter now and the machine/welding was top notch. You couldn't even tell that anything had been done. The cerakote looks perfect, not like it was painted with Krylon.

I took it to the range today for its first test fire.

The first rounds were through a 9 inch 300 Whisper M-16A1 shooting 175s and AA-1680. Very quiet. Much quieter (very noticeable) than the old baffle stack. Before it was a bit loud with no ear-pro. Now it sounds like 220s going through a 9 inch can.

I put it back on the original rifle (Accuracy International PSR) after I put the brake attach mount on. There was minimal shift from the old 30PS zero to the new one even with an added brake and baffle stack.

My only challenge now is to not get it confused with my 223 and 6.5 Ultra 7s.

In the end, the $$$ involved is absolutely worth it to save some weight and a few Db. Dealing with the staff at TBAC is always awesome. Must be something in the air up there.

Thank you for the info Hoser, I too have a 9" 300BLK that I shoot subsonics through with the 30BA with 190's and H110/W296 (and just bought some CFE Black and curious how that will work). Even though I've caught the 6.5 bug I still have 30 cal and 7mm so have decided to stick with all 30 cans which is why all of Ray's numbers on the different cans are so helpful in determining sound reduction with each.