• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Help me pick my barrel contour!

BigCheese1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2013
I think I am going to order my Bartlein barrel from Grizzly.com sometime in the next week or two. I am struggling to pick a contour.
I am pretty set on 20" .308. This will be my do-all rifle. I dont want it to be too heavy but I certainly do not mind a little weight.
I think I want a 1-10 twist.

Please just do me a favor and tell me what I want, because I do not know. Please post some pictures if you can and give the specs so I know what to get!!

I'm a big fan of the "Palma" contours, but they come as 30" blanks and you pay for it...only to chop 10" off.

The "Sendero" aka "Remington Varmint" (not to be confused with a light varmint or heavy varmint") is plenty of meat where you want it, and no extra where you don't. I'd recommend the RV if you care at least a bit about weight.

If you don't mind a bit more weight, the "M24" (essentially identical to an "M40") looks and works AWESOME for a ~20" 308. In my opinion, they're too fat for a 24"+ rifle, and they offset the balance too much to the front. At 20" though, they handle and balance great.

A note on weight vs. balance: always choose good balance over weight. A light rifle that balances poorly sucks, as does a heavy one. However, both heavy and light rifles that balance nicely will be a pleasure, and "feel" much lighter than they actually are.

I think that turbo54's recommendations are spot-on - go with the Remington Varmint/Sendaro if you're weight-conscious, and M24/M40 if weight is not a concern.

If your definition of "do-all" includes hunting, off-hand or positional shooting, etc., I'd really be inclined to select the Rem Varmint profile. I've owned a couple R700s with this barrel profile in the 18.5-21" range, and with a good do-everything stock like the Manners MCS-T, they are quite handy.

A fluted Varmint would be my pick, but a round would be fine in 30, in 6-7mm it would be a Light Palma for me. Extra weight will cut recoil. Should shoot bugholes.

Twist accordingly.

Dont worry about weight offset in the front of a m24 contour, your resting flat on your cheek weld, pulled tight inti your shoulder, you shouldnt have to worry about anything like that.

My opinion, heavier the better...

Had a "Safety Training" meeting at work Thursday, my supervisor mentioned "Four more weeks til the most important date of the year!" Start of deer season:) Local dates may vary.