• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hey western Montana folks

BTW, the real reason that Montana has a strong history of Democrats getting elected is that the economic history of the state is as much, or more, about mining and its concomitant unionization, as it is about ranching. It isn't a Dakota, though it has been trending in that direction rather than to the left over the last few decades. But a lot of people think MT is just Yellowstone Park and Bozeman, when for much of its history Butte was the power center of the state, and was, and still is in fact, the most reliably Democrat voting locale.

There are a lot of questions about where MT politics go, but they center more around who is moving here (just because they come from a blue state they are not necessarily blue voters,) whether they will stay, and very importantly what will happen to the traditional Democrat voters here who have not shifted red as quickly as their rust belt cousins, in large measure because while they are culturally same, the economic prospects for ex mine workers is different from factory workers.

It won't be because Democrats never knew MT existed, or because there has never been a Democrat elected official, or whatever hair brained fantasies the Ravallian Conspiracy Committee might conjure up.

Generalize much? Don't know much about ranching do you?

I do.

I know there's a few that work damn hard. They actually put hay away, raise a crop or two, and keep busy.

I also know that every time the Dems need volunteers locally it's college kids and shitty ranchers.

I know a lot of them that work about 10 hours a week most of the year, and then bitch about the 100 hour weeks when things need done. These are generally the same ones bitching about everything around them, won't fix fences or buildings, and then tell me how the Dems will save us all.

My area there's tons of family ranches. When you never had to pay for it, it's pretty easy to sit back and bitch and be a very shitty rancher.

I have no idea where you live, but in my area the ranchers are basically the same families who homesteaded the area, and they work their asses off and are excellent stewards of the area. Of course we all worry what happens when a generation loses interest in ranching, though. That said, subsidies certainly have put a lot of things in the mix that never should have been there...

Reactions: WaltHer
I believe the influence of the leftist people carpetbagging their politics to Montana will end when John Dutton becomes Governor!
Unfortunately, the John Dutton's in real life have no ambition to rub shoulders with the evil, slimy swamp dweller's that thrive on gaining power over other people using rigged elections, blackmail, propaganda and money.

Unfortunately, the John Dutton's in real life have no ambition to rub shoulders with the evil, slimy swamp dweller's that thrive on gaining power over other people using rigged elections, blackmail, propaganda and money.
Leaving aside your reeeeeeeee conspiracies, is your point of view that large landowners don't rub shoulders with politicians? It's a take, I guess. I really fucking dumb one, but there you go.

All I know is that the ranchers surrounding me may watch "Yellowstone" but don't own Bell Jet Rangers. However, we're on the flatland/poorside. That being said, they all got trucks and don't give fachx and are happy to dig a hole. None of them are Joe-Joe fans, CRP or otherwise. That shit's not playing too well in my AO.
Spelling edit

I do.

I know there's a few that work damn hard. They actually put hay away, raise a crop or two, and keep busy.

I also know that every time the Dems need volunteers locally it's college kids and shitty ranchers.

I know a lot of them that work about 10 hours a week most of the year, and then bitch about the 100 hour weeks when things need done. These are generally the same ones bitching about everything around them, won't fix fences or buildings, and then tell me how the Dems will save us all.

My area there's tons of family ranches. When you never had to pay for it, it's pretty easy to sit back and bitch and be a very shitty rancher.
Many, many different factors making up the Big Picture. I've processed enough game to know that butchering a cow, packaging and freezing the meat would be a lot of work for an individual. The more I look at the big picture, due to our changing society, raising cow's is the easy part (I know, I know, it ain't easy)... "Processing" is a different part of the equation. I have no answer.

I will make a bold statement here...
For those young people, raising a family with desires to get away from the mega cities... By the time you reach the Redoubt Region, you will not like what you find. Expand your search to other rural areas in America.

We have all heard the rhetoric about Californian's taking over Montana or Montana is FULL. Perhaps being on the inside and looking out, I have a different perspective. I am witnessing a very rapidly changing environment. Many reasons like work from home, pandemic,recession, etc. There are billions of $'s flowing in to change the culture. Like many, I came here because of the culture. I did not come to change the culture. I know no one who came here to change the culture... Let that sink in.
In order for the power grabbers to take over, the culture must change... Read some history books.

Ten years ago, a vision like this (below) could have never got traction. Big money has changed the culture.

• Sad
Reactions: Steve_In_29
America as a whole, but especially the rural states like MT, WY, ID, SD, ND, need to find a legal way to keep out refugees. It would be a bonus to deport democrats from those states.
The placement of refugees, just like the open border to the south is a well laid plan to target conservative strong holds and simply dilute the population.

Interesting to watch:

Wonderful, more people that have zero affinity to our culture and western values. No surprise it's leftist scum in Missoula welcoming these people here to contribute nothing and increase crime. They would love to turn Missoula into another Mogadishu (Minneapolis).

Interesting to watch:

Thank you for posting, Hobo. HillBilluns has a significant homeless issue as well. However, I think there is an important distinction to be made in that overall population. First, there are the truly "homeless" such as those described in the article you posted. Folks such as "Dave" are likely good candidates for the services that communities such as Missoula are offering. However, there is another part of the overall "homeless" demographic that is, for the lack of a better word, "transient." This population is often extremely resistant to utilizing the various safety nets that communities try to put in place. These folks often panhandle, steal, abuse public services- such as fire and EMS- while simultaneously refusing to take advantage of "no barrier" housing (free hotel rooms for those so intoxicated that even shelters won't accept them), and would rather take an ambulance ride (that they will never pay for) across town, get a free sandwich from the local hospitals, clog up the emergency room until they are warm/fed/bathed/clothed and then head back out for some more petty crime and drugs.

The growth in HillBilluns overall homeless population feels proportional to our growth in safety net systems. In fact, the city council is on track to install a set of "public restrooms" so that the homeless have somewhere to "go" rather than storefronts. My experience has been that someone who is willing to shit on a sidewalk probably isn't going to bother walking several blocks to "go" in a public restroom. Instead, I think it is very likely that these restrooms will become more of a blight on the downtown area than a solution.

The city council is currently debating a large apartment-like complex in the downtown area. They cite a desire from those moving here to be part of a "vibrant downtown corridor." Well, that's fine and dandy unless the "vibrant corridor" is full of dopers and scumbag panhandlers, and is unsafe for families to go out in after dark.

Earlier this year, the WSJ and Realtor.com ranked the Billings housing market #1 as an Emerging Housing Market ( https://billingsgazette.com/news/lo...cle_ff3fd983-0a8f-5244-b11e-637f52b09b60.html). The city council recently heard testimony from a local realtor that there are currently eighty-eight (yes 88) residential properties, across all price ranges, currently available in Yellowstone County (those not under current contract). So, yeah, "affordable" housing is a problem, but it's not THE problem, especially for my so-called "transients."

In the end, a series of safety nets are a good thing, but only for a portion of the "homeless." The other portion, well, as the article you posted says, "if a man doesn't work, he shall not eat" is probably the right solution. Oh, and a bus ticket to Missoula if they are really problematic.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Thank you for posting, Hobo. HillBilluns has a significant homeless issue as well. However, I think there is an important distinction to be made in that overall population. First, there are the truly "homeless" such as those described in the article you posted. Folks such as "Dave" are likely good candidates for the services that communities such as Missoula are offering. However, there is another part of the overall "homeless" demographic that is, for the lack of a better word, "transient." This population is often extremely resistant to utilizing the various safety nets that communities try to put in place. These folks often panhandle, steal, abuse public services- such as fire and EMS- while simultaneously refusing to take advantage of "no barrier" housing (free hotel rooms for those so intoxicated that even shelters won't accept them), and would rather take an ambulance ride (that they will never pay for) across town, get a free sandwich from the local hospitals, clog up the emergency room until they are warm/fed/bathed/clothed and then head back out for some more petty crime and drugs.

The growth in HillBilluns overall homeless population feels proportional to our growth in safety net systems. In fact, the city council is on track to install a set of "public restrooms" so that the homeless have somewhere to "go" rather than storefronts. My experience has been that someone who is willing to shit on a sidewalk probably isn't going to bother walking several blocks to "go" in a public restroom. Instead, I think it is very likely that these restrooms will become more of a blight on the downtown area than a solution.

The city council is currently debating a large apartment-like complex in the downtown area. They cite a desire from those moving here to be part of a "vibrant downtown corridor." Well, that's fine and dandy unless the "vibrant corridor" is full of dopers and scumbag panhandlers, and is unsafe for families to go out in after dark.

Earlier this year, the WSJ and Realtor.com ranked the Billings housing market #1 as an Emerging Housing Market ( https://billingsgazette.com/news/lo...cle_ff3fd983-0a8f-5244-b11e-637f52b09b60.html). The city council recently heard testimony from a local realtor that there are currently eighty-eight (yes 88) residential properties, across all price ranges, currently available in Yellowstone County (those not under current contract). So, yeah, "affordable" housing is a problem, but it's not THE problem, especially for my so-called "transients."

In the end, a series of safety nets are a good thing, but only for a portion of the "homeless." The other portion, well, as the article you posted says, "if a man doesn't work, he shall not eat" is probably the right solution. Oh, and a bus ticket to Missoula if they are really problematic.
I spent several years in the "Portland Metro" area of Washington County, Oregon. Home to both Intel's Flagship Campus Ronler Acres and the Corporate home of Nike... I had very close friends who were LEO's in both counties...When I arrived, basically there were no homeless. There were many migrant Latino workers but amazingly, none were homeless. The homeless soon became the Geese that were laying golden eggs.... Grants were written, donations from the largest corporations in the world to fund homeless programs. Every candidate running for public office was going to fix the homeless situation. As you have seen on national news, Portland has become ground zero for every scum bag group. As the money was siphoned off and the programs failed, the financial burden was rolled over onto the home owners / taxpayers. I communicated with Ted Wheeler while he was the State Treasurer.... He did not hide his ambitions to become mayor of Portland and possibly the Governor of Oregon... Let's say I have followed these movements for many years. That makes it easy for me to watch the domino's fall as the homeless movement takes hold in Montana. None of these movements are a coincident. What I can not explain is why the hard working tax payers sit on their hands and allow the homeless to take root. Comments ?

HELENA — Montana Congressman Matt Rosendale is defending his move as one of just three representatives, all Republicans, to vote against a resolution in support of the people of Ukraine.

Rosendale told MTN he voted against the measure because he wants to see the southern border of the United States secured first.

“It is tragic to see the loss of innocent life in Eastern Europe. If the White House would have acted stronger toward our foreign adversaries over the last 14 months, today’s events could have been avoided. I cannot support this resolution to send unlimited military, monetary, and humanitarian aid to Ukraine when the United States is failing to deal with crises impacting the safety and wellbeing of the American people. The invasion of illegal aliens flooding our southern border must be stopped, the opioid crisis must be dealt with, energy dominance must be restored, and the rise in crime and inflation must be resolved.”

Rep. Matt Rosendale (R-Mont.)

HELENA — Montana’s U.S. senators have called upon President Biden to reconsider the Keystone XL Pipeline project and increase domestic energy production following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Both Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.) and Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.) have supported the Keystone XL Pipeline in the past. The pipeline would have run from Alberta to Texas, including Baker, Mont. where oil from the Bakken would have been added.

Reactions: Milf Dots
IMO, vote fraud is the only reason john tester is still a senator.

IMO, vote fraud is the only reason john tester is still a senator.
I think he has remained there by "the skin of his teeth"... Between nurturing the oldest Montanan's who long for the good old days and the influx you young people educated at the liberal colleges as well as the out of state (Deep State) money... He has held on. He portrays himself as just a hog farmer in Montana and not a career politician.

People keep asking me how come John Tester (Dem) keeps getting reelected... Because when a person contacts both of the Montana US Senator's... They get some sort of reply from Tester...
Below are two good, current event examples. One Senator is focusing on Montana and the other if focusing / traveling to the Germany / Ukraine..

Reactions: WaltHer
People keep asking me how come John Tester (Dem) keeps getting reelected... Because when a person contacts both of the Montana US Senator's... They get some sort of reply from Tester...
Below are two good, current event examples. One Senator is focusing on Montana and the other if focusing / traveling to the Germany / Ukraine..

It reads as if you think Tester is better than Daines, so here's my take...

Daines is a better Senator for Montana and American values than that POS Leftist John Tester- I'm not swayed by trivial PR tactics like a reply to comms because in the end Tester usually votes with the dems regardless of what his constituents think. Tester is no different than any other Dem senator except that many Montanans are naive and easily duped. Daines and Tester don't run against each other, and Tester hasn't really faced a strong GOP challenger yet.

As soon as a strong GOP candidate is run against Tester he'll be gone.

I voted for a couple of dems in my early years and they're always a bad choice. Montana's dems are no different.

I
It reads as if you think Tester is better than Daines, so here's my take...

Daines is a better Senator for Montana and American values than that POS Leftist John Tester- I'm not swayed by trivial PR tactics like a reply to comms because in the end Tester usually votes with the dems regardless of what his constituents think. Tester is no different than any other Dem senator except that many Montanans are naive and easily duped. Daines and Tester don't run against each other, and Tester hasn't really faced a strong GOP challenger yet.

As soon as a strong GOP candidate is run against Tester he'll be gone.

I voted for a couple of dems in my early years and they're always a bad choice. Montana's dems are no different.
I understand exactly what you are saying..... I have seen it in many other states where I worked.........
Bring on the strong GOP candidate..... We have a new congressional district......... A strong Republican is needed to win that seat....
I'm watching that circus unfold....
When any US Senator thinks his district is 100% good then he can travel... In the mean time, let's close the southern border and let the rest of the world fight their battles...

Lol. Do you even live here Hobo? Daines is known as one of the best constituent services senators in the country, and actually picks up a good amount of D votes because of it. Tester is known to be the opposite. Perhaps Daines ignores you because you are a crazy babbling fool who is always spewing pure, unadulterated bullshit, and Tester recognizes you as one of his own kind.

Get back to work and feed your own children.... Tough Love

Daines is known as one of the best constituent services senators in the country, and actually picks up a good amount of D votes because of it. Tester is known to be the opposite.
I have both met Daines and written his office. Nice enough guy I guess, but his responses to my correspondence have been the traditional form letter you receive that doesn't give an answer to the question or concern you may have. I'm no Bill Shakespeare, but my correspondence to him has been far from incoherent and I have asked for some specific responses back in return. All form letters. I am sure he gets thousands of emails and letters, and I would venture to guess he probably doesn't respond personally or specifically unless there is money involved. Pretty much like all of them on both sides of the aisle.

Tester...can't wait to see him gone. If the other side of the aisle has even an inkling of common sense, they should be able to bury him on his voting record alone. He will get towns like Bozeman, Helena, and Missoula, but I would think a half decent candidate should be able to unseat him.

I have both met Daines and written his office. Nice enough guy I guess, but his responses to my correspondence have been the traditional form letter you receive that doesn't give an answer to the question or concern you may have. I'm no Bill Shakespeare, but my correspondence to him has been far from incoherent and I have asked for some specific responses back in return. All form letters. I am sure he gets thousands of emails and letters, and I would venture to guess he probably doesn't respond personally or specifically unless there is money involved. Pretty much like all of them on both sides of the aisle.

Tester...can't wait to see him gone. If the other side of the aisle has even an inkling of common sense, they should be able to bury him on his voting record alone. He will get towns like Bozeman, Helena, and Missoula, but I would think a half decent candidate should be able to unseat him.
The biggest issue in America is there are very few "Strong Candidates" running for office. That applies to both Democrats and Republicans. It's as if a candidate must have low IQ, low morals, low self esteem and simply be on a power trip to control other people. "We the People" find ourselves voting for the lesser of the evil's"...

Attached is an article listing the candidates for Montana's new congressional district.

I can only speak to his reputation and my interactions and time spent with him, and they have both been very positive.

Don't take this as offense, because I don't know you, but having read many of the people in the Bear Pit, especially like our insane Montana Hobo, I would probably not respond to their lunatic rantings either. But if you have an issue with land use, especially interfacing with the Feds, or other practical issue his office can assist with, they are very good. Most constituent communications along the lines of "don't vote for this nominee," or "protect our gun rights" are not going to get a long response, but they are noted, unless you are somebody like Tester who just doesn't care about the population of his state.

Best strategy is to pick the most conservative primary candidate who has the best chance of defeating the democrat.

Now, on top of all the other bad news
Haha. Leave it up to a state vet to make ridiculous statements like the ones in the article. Specialized "trap" from Idaho to catch hogs? 10k for the traps? In TX, kids build hog traps in shop class. They aren't exactly marvels of modern engineering. Make no mistake, we don't want feral hogs here, but I find it hilarious the state wants to handle this issue when they could just have people shoot the fuckin things and be done with it.

I am not a biologist, but I have to think a potential wild hog issue in MT is far different than a wild hog issue in TX. We have far more apex predators in MT and a hog doesn't stand much of a chance against a wolf, bear, or lion. Not to mention our winters are a hell of a lot worse than they are down south. Year round breeding not a possibility up here.

Prices on housing seem to be dropping, some substantially.
Where??
Everything I'm seeing in Idaho is beyond ridiculous.
2 years ago land was $2000/acre in my part of the state, now the going rate is $20,000/acre and people are fighting over shit lots that only a desperate person would consider..

The mass migration to the western states is fucking things up big time.
Everything construction related is 2-5 times more than it was in 2020, and contractors are ripping people off left and right.

I see piles of people living in RV parks, and paying ransom wages to contractors that are 2-3 years backlogged.
I've never seen anything like what's happening right now

Where??
Everything I'm seeing in Idaho is beyond ridiculous.
2 years ago land was $2000/acre in my part of the state, now the going rate is $20,000/acre and people are fighting over shit lots that only a desperate person would consider..

The mass migration to the western states is fucking things up big time.
Everything construction related is 2-5 times more than it was in 2020, and contractors are ripping people off left and right.

I see piles of people living in RV parks, and paying ransom wages to contractors that are 2-3 years backlogged.
Rapid city, SD , Helena and some in the Kalispell area.

This does not apply to all housing in those areas but more of a general observation.

Example:

Rapid City had 1-2 that fit my criteria and they are usually gone in a couple of weeks and well over asking. Now there are 8+. Some of those have been there over a month and have dropped 10% after just having an open house.

In BozeAngeles the RV parks are full. There are full blown camps in public parks and people setting up impromptu RV parks on city streets. It's fucking nuts. I could sell my tiny little house for almost 10x what I paid for it.

Meanwhile, up in Big Sky, people are paying between 1500-2000k per square foot for homes. And they are flying off the shelves so to speak like hot cakes. I am beside myself and want to move so bad it just kills me. As a life long Montanan, I can't believe what this part of the state has become. I always had a sneaking suspicion that this might happen, but to see it come to fruition in such a short period of time has been astounding.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
In BozeAngeles the RV parks are full. There are full blown camps in public parks and people setting up impromptu RV parks on city streets. It's fucking nuts. I could sell my tiny little house for almost 10x what I paid for it.

Meanwhile, up in Big Sky, people are paying between 1500-2000k per square foot for homes. And they are flying off the shelves so to speak like hot cakes. I am beside myself and want to move so bad it just kills me. As a life long Montanan, I can't believe what this part of the state has become. I always had a sneaking suspicion that this might happen, but to see it come to fruition in such a short period of time has been astounding.
I agree with you. Here is what I am seeing in many other rural areas, besides Montana. One group of buyer's is paying cash. The other group is building a home using a "Construction Loan" they secured last year at a low interest rate. During 2022 those construction loans must be either refinanced or rolled over into a conventional loan.... Those folks are sweating bullets as they watch interest going up. Some will be able to complete a house and not have the funds to convert it to a conventional loan..... I have seen that bear trap three times during my life time. When that situation develops here are the options:

Zero down loan with sky high interest.
Note with a Balloon payment in 5 years.
Blackrock shows up, buys your newly finished house and rents it back to you.
You give up, walk away and move into a small apartment so you can walk to work after your car is repossessed.

History is repeating itself.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
Prices on housing seem to be dropping, some substantially.
There are a few of us on this board who have said "We have lived through this (recession) before. We know how it feels. But, this time it feels a bit different".

"Our evidence points to abnormal US housing market behavior for the first time since the boom of the early 2000s," the researchers wrote. "Reasons for concern are clear in certain economic indicators ... which show signs that 2021 house prices appear increasingly out of step with fundamentals."

I agree with you. Here is what I am seeing in many other rural areas, besides Montana. One group of buyer's is paying cash. The other group is building a home using a "Construction Loan" they secured last year at a low interest rate. During 2022 those construction loans must be either refinanced or rolled over into a conventional loan.... Those folks are sweating bullets as they watch interest going up. Some will be able to complete a house and not have the funds to convert it to a conventional loan..... I have seen that bear trap three times during my life time. When that situation develops here are the options:

Zero down loan with sky high interest.
Note with a Balloon payment in 5 years.
Blackrock shows up, buys your newly finished house and rents it back to you.
You give up, walk away and move into a small apartment so you can walk to work after your car is repossessed.

History is repeating itself.
You are using a lot of words here that you clearly don't understand, perhaps to make yourself seem smarter and more informed than you are. I certainly hope nobody is losing actual money by listening to your crazy ass.

Yeah its getting pretty bad everywhere man, western Montana looks like a suburb of spokane, as does the panhandle of Idaho "Nor Cal".
I was visiting family in Utah last week and the discussion went into home and land prices.
According to a family member, even when you get way south of the Salt Lake population 5 acre lots in the middle of nowhere are $600,000

In the meantime over 1 million illegal immigrants have swept into our county since Oct.
I wonder what mass migration does to the demand for housing..
We're fucked if we don't get control of our borders

Yeah its getting pretty bad everywhere man, western Montana looks like a suburb of spokane, as does the panhandle of Idaho "Nor Cal".
I was visiting family in Utah last week and the discussion went into home and land prices.
According to a family member, even when you get way south of the Salt Lake population 5 acre lots in the middle of nowhere are $600,000

In the meantime over 1 million illegal immigrants have swept into our county since Oct.
I wonder what mass migration does to the demand for housing..
We're fucked if we don't get control of our borders
It's not just the borders... It's the oil..... It's the infrastructure... It's the US Dollar.... Very soon, it will be the food..... Connect the dots.