• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Holy smokes, DPMS G2 rifles

New guy with a New G2 Recon

New Guy here. I joined the forum just so I could post in this thread. I am relatively new to guns. I have only been consistently shooting for the past 6-7 years or so. I decided to get into reloading and I kinda got sucked in. I am by no means a long ranger shooter, I am a 500 yard and under guy, typically 100-200 yards. I just don't put the time in at the bench to become more. I am really just a weekend warrior kind of guy. I don't have time for shooting competitions or any thing like that. But I do recognize a fun gun when I see one. I have wanted to buy a semi-auto 308 for about the last five years. Things finally lined up so I could make this purchase.

After looking at several of the rifles on the market I settled on the G2 Recon. Price was right and the options were good. And besides somebody has to buy a first year model so the rest of you can find out if they are worth it.

Like I said, not really a professional here so take my review of this rifle for what it is. I only have one other semi auto and it is a Smith and Wesson Sport 223 that I bought the Monday after you know who was re-elected. I figured something was going to happen that would threaten our right to buy and own "these scary black rifles". I just had no Ideal it was going to be something so horrible as some twisted individual mass murdering a bunch of kids. So any way, I have very limited experience with AR's.

I bought my rifle on line sight unseen, first time buying a gun of any kind on line. So leaps of faith of two fronts here. No one near me had one let alone new that a new version was out, so it was purchased site un seen.

I was pretty excited about it and could not wait to get it, and so far I am very happy with my purchase. I was/am a little leery about all the new design changes but like I said, someone has to be the first so I gambled.

When I pulled it out of the box to do the pre-transfer inspection I was quite please with the fit and finish. The lines were good, no gaps, every thing fit nice and tight like I would expect. The finish was flawless, basically it looked like I would expect a 1,400 dollar rifle to look.
After paying my $20.00 transfer fee I took it home and proceeded to put three rounds through it because the sun was setting and I just could not help my self, I was so excited about having it finally. Then I went inside and did a field strip and clean. Again nothing that I would not expect. Every thing seemed to look good, fit good and function good.

The only issue that has been noticed is how the Nikon M-223 mount fits, either the mount is a little out of spec or my top rail is, as its on as far as my gun smith could get it without putting some real effort into it. As it turns out, its location is about where it needs to be.

I have yet to shoot it with the factory mag, I purchased a few P-mags before the rifle showed up, and got them loaded up and ready to go. And so far they have performed perfectly no flaws at all.

This last Saturday i had about 45-min to an hour to go sight in so I took it out at last light and sighted in. Before I new it I had put a total of 50 rounds through this thing and they all functioned perfectly, no malfunctions of any kind.

All shots were made from a bi-pod under the front and a sand bag under the grip or magazine.

I was shooting hand loads that I developed for my 308 bolt rifle I use for hunting. The round is a 165 grain Speer BTSP over 43 grains of IMR 4064. In my bolt gun this combo gives me clover leafs at a 100 yards with a fully supported rifle. In the G2 we were close, but my shooting position is horrible, I am really hunched over the table. And that position really messes with how a short fat guy breaths. but it was good enough that I think I could come real close to duplicating those clover leafs if I could get a good shooting bench set up. I seated the bullet to magazine length. I had zero feed issues, ever thing functioned perfectly.

After I got the scope sited I started plinking. I was having so much fun I did not realize that I had burned through all the ammo I had, I have never shot more than a box of 308 in one sitting so to go through 47 was a lot. but it was incredible fun.

The Recoil was very pleasant and easy to handle which is good since one of the roles I hope this rifle will be able to fill is a hunting rifle for my son when he is old enough to hunt. The trigger is good, at for me any way. I do not anticipate upgrading it.

On another forum many people suggested that I skip the 16" barreled guns and go no less than 18" due to noise and muzzle flash. So I was kinda worried about the noise and flash when I was shooting the other evening. But to be honest, I think my M&P Sport has more noise and flash than this does. I did not start shooting till the sun was behind the closest mountain making it optimal conditions for seeing muzzle flash. Maybe it the flash hider, or the powder I don't know.

I would like to have been able to have a picture of a target to post, but after sighting in there were so many holes and so much masking tape that I don't think any one could really tell any thing from it. It was my last target. So instead of continuing to murder a piece of paper I went to murdering rocks. I was surrounded by black volcanic rocks with lots of white stuff on them (no idea what the white stuff is) which made them perfect targets for the conditions. Lets just say that if they had been Deer or Elk I would have had a lot of explaining to do if Fish and Game would have caught me. There is just something cool about the sound of a bullet smacking a rock at 200-300 yards. Plus for a guy like me it feels good to have the audible feed back letting me know I really did hit is.

I will post some groups when i do my load development for this rifle. I have 500 pulled bullets I got for 130.00 bucks. They are 175 grain SMKS. I plan on using the 2lbs of BLC-2 that I have as well as the 8lbs of surplus H335 that I have. I hope I can find something that works good with those components. Besides powder being scarce, my wife is ready for me to stop spending money on the little adventure.

Since some have asked about the brass, it actually looks really good, it all fell in about a 1 1/2 - 2 foot circle just a few feet behind and to the right of me, making recovery very easy. The rim looks good, the mouth looks good, so I say they are good to load again. The Primer strike looks pretty good as well.

I will try loading some pics of rifle and my worst piece of brass in the morning. The only internet I have is from my phone, its 4G unless its in my house and then its -4G

Is there some kind of a post count or other limit to posting pics?

Wish the hunter came with a threaded barrel. It would be the perfect base for us who want ro play adult legos and not pay for the extra bs.

I put a Nordic Components 3-gun style standard AR 13" round free float tube on my DPMS Gen 2 Recon and it fit just fine in terms of threading and gas block clearance using the standard AR barrel tools. Easy.

So, IMO, most any free float standard AR tube should fit Gen 2 models with a gas block that comes from the factory under a free float tube. The fire control system and buffer tube/ stocks are also interchangeable AR parts. The factory buffer tube is the slightly wider " commercial" variant but all the Magpul stocks are available in the " commercial" size.

The charging handle on the DPMS Gen 2 charging handle is a unique length. Which was a bummer because I really like the Ranier Raptor charging handle. I plan on using a 30mm 1-6x scope in the future. So, I installed a Badger Tactical handle and modded the tension pin to go from 1/16" to a 3/32" pin ( 1/4" long) and offset milled it just a hair ( literally ) away from the edge for a bit more strength.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395182598.396906.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395182609.395417.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395182620.595796.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395182641.397669.jpg

These are pics of my new Recon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395182787.958653.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1395182801.846099.jpg

I have some more picks but the system said I maxed out.

Hopefully this weekend I will have a target or two to post.

For those saying "meh" and "not that good", what you are seeing is the skill level of the shooter shooting a rifle without enough rounds through the barrel. (No offense to jb326).

The fact that the rifle has produced sub-minute groups with a new barrel means that the rifle can do this consistently, with a competent shooter, shooting tuned handloads, from a steady rest, while applying marksmanship fundamentals.

Echoing what Elfster said, I have never had a rifle that shot consistent MOA groups with a new barrel...virtually every rifle i shot (except my savage .243 bolt gun) started off above MOA and then somewhere between 200-500 rounds, really settled in.

Keep putting rounds through your rifle...one day, shooting sub-minute groups will become the norm rather than the exception.

Jb326, just to be clear, Nice rifle, good shooting, and thanks for the update. You've put me over the top...I think i'll be adding one of these to my collection later this year.

I would agree, and no offense taken. I'm a consistent sub MOA shooter with my bolt guns, and my former DPMS bull barrel, so I'm not much concerned about my skill (or lack thereof) contributing to the larger groups, but I am also usually using a little more than a 10x optic.

But I do agree whole hearted lay about needing more rounds through it to really come together.

Got the call yesterday that my hunter model had arrived at the LGS. 11 days from when I ordered it. Sure beats the RRA LAR-8 that I had been waiting 15 months for (cancelled that order for this).

I haven't gotten to the range yet, but I have to say that this rifle feels great to handle. It really is like a regular AR15 with just a beefy mag well. The two stage trigger on the hunter is great. Very crisp and no overtravel. I hadn't noticed earlier but it also comes with an ambi safety. The included mag is only a four rounder, fitting with the hunter name. I'll likely be switching out the gas block for a standard sight base gas block to shoot irons in addition to a scope.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it to the range before the weekend to see if it shoots as well as it looks.

Since I am really new to all this, is there a lighter hand guard I could swap my factory one out for? Besides, I don't really need a quad rail.

Since I am really new to all this, is there a lighter hand guard I could swap my factory one out for? Besides, I don't really need a quad rail.

Midwest Industries will soon have a decent selection of lighter and more modular fore ends for the Gen 2's according to their posts on another forum.

Wow that sounds good. I noticed that my Recon seems a little nose heavy and could benefit from some weight loss.

Not to mention I don't need a quad rail.

Cannot wait to put some rounds down range with my new GII SASS, unfortunately I won't be CONUS to shoot until July. Already have goodies for it showing up on my doorstep at home. Got a Vortex PST Viper FFP 6-24x50, geissele SSA-E trigger, ADM Recon H mount, AAC Brakeout comp / hider for my can..... and I will try the factory barrel but I am hoping to get a rainier arms ultra match 18 inch, still waiting to see if the barrel extension on their current models will work (since I believe they shortened the GII barrel extension)

Last edited:
I decided to get back into 308/7.62x51 about a month ago after a badly torn rota-tor cuff/shoulder injury about 5 years ago. I purchased the G2 Recon last week and made it to the range today. Very unique weapon. The weapon shot very well with no issues at all. I put 40 rounds of Winny 150 grain SuperX Power Point through it. Wind conditions were pretty tough, gusty from 10-22 mph but mostly at my back but erratic.
The ammunition was fresh but my skills have perished so this is just an evaluation of the gun not my skill-set.
Extraction and ejection appeared to be very positive @ 4pm with no damage to the case rim, body or neck.
Brass marks present on the forward assist housing.
Trigger is awesome, not a Geissele but close...and yes I have one of Bill's trigger packs......SSF. Not sure about long term durability on the DPMS, time will tell.
I did see something that I have never seen before from a standard pressure round from Winchester or any other commercial ammunition manufacturer.........
the primer had a deep indentation from the firing pin and a pronounced raised circle matching the firing pin hole in the bolt face. The primers were not flat and no primer flow but it was odd......I shot military high power for 8 years back in the late 80's early 90's but we were rolling our own for accuracy but I have handloaded some rather hot rounds and seen the effects of high pressures from tight chambers etc. but not this. I'm not concerned really, just an observation. BTW, these GII guns are different in many aspects to the old DPMS LR guns (of which I have owned), and I like this gun. If the the trigger jerker (me) can get his shit squared away I know the accuracy is there.....of a 15 round group I had 1 group of 4 nearly same hole and 6 that were barely over an inch @ 100 yds. I went for 15 rounds for a good group but my shoulder psychologically ain't there. Flinching and anticipation hurt the groups, not the gun.

Okay, this has definitely piqued my interest.
From what I have learned thus far is this:
- Smaller, lighter overall dimensions and specs.
- New extractor, elastomer in place of extractor spring.
- Double ejectors
- Commercial spec buffer tube (Boo). That's okay, can be changed.
- Shorter carrier necessitates shorter, proprietary charging handle. 7.62 ones are too long, 5.56 ones too short. Hopefully, BCM and Rainier start making theirs in this length.
- Rounded bolt lugs.
- Extended feed ramps, good times.

All in all, looks promising.

However, my main question/concern is the bolt, let me explain.
Given that the .308/7.62x51 is wider at the base that the 5.56, and that this bolt is the same diameter as the 5.56, is there enough "meat" on the bolt for long term durability?

From what I understand, 7.62x39 AR suffered bolt issues for this very reason. I do notice that the LMT MWS/DPMS GenI .308s/KAC/Sig 716/etc. bolts have more material around the lugs than the DPMS GII.

Reference this picture of a Gen I DPMS .308 vs a DPMS GII .308 bolt:

DSC04566_zpsad1a37ff.jpg Photo by craigklee | Photobucket

I am interested in hearing input on this as far as potential long term durability, etc.

Thanks.

Last edited:
New Guy here. I joined the forum just so I could post in this thread. I am relatively new to guns. I have only been consistently shooting for the past 6-7 years or so. I decided to get into reloading and I kinda got sucked in. I am by no means a long ranger shooter, I am a 500 yard and under guy, typically 100-200 yards. I just don't put the time in at the bench to become more. I am really just a weekend warrior kind of guy. I don't have time for shooting competitions or any thing like that. But I do recognize a fun gun when I see one. I have wanted to buy a semi-auto 308 for about the last five years. Things finally lined up so I could make this purchase.

After looking at several of the rifles on the market I settled on the G2 Recon. Price was right and the options were good. And besides somebody has to buy a first year model so the rest of you can find out if they are worth it.

Like I said, not really a professional here so take my review of this rifle for what it is. I only have one other semi auto and it is a Smith and Wesson Sport 223 that I bought the Monday after you know who was re-elected. I figured something was going to happen that would threaten our right to buy and own "these scary black rifles". I just had no Ideal it was going to be something so horrible as some twisted individual mass murdering a bunch of kids. So any way, I have very limited experience with AR's.

I bought my rifle on line sight unseen, first time buying a gun of any kind on line. So leaps of faith of two fronts here. No one near me had one let alone new that a new version was out, so it was purchased site un seen.

I was pretty excited about it and could not wait to get it, and so far I am very happy with my purchase. I was/am a little leery about all the new design changes but like I said, someone has to be the first so I gambled.

When I pulled it out of the box to do the pre-transfer inspection I was quite please with the fit and finish. The lines were good, no gaps, every thing fit nice and tight like I would expect. The finish was flawless, basically it looked like I would expect a 1,400 dollar rifle to look.
After paying my $20.00 transfer fee I took it home and proceeded to put three rounds through it because the sun was setting and I just could not help my self, I was so excited about having it finally. Then I went inside and did a field strip and clean. Again nothing that I would not expect. Every thing seemed to look good, fit good and function good.

The only issue that has been noticed is how the Nikon M-223 mount fits, either the mount is a little out of spec or my top rail is, as its on as far as my gun smith could get it without putting some real effort into it. As it turns out, its location is about where it needs to be.

I have yet to shoot it with the factory mag, I purchased a few P-mags before the rifle showed up, and got them loaded up and ready to go. And so far they have performed perfectly no flaws at all.

This last Saturday i had about 45-min to an hour to go sight in so I took it out at last light and sighted in. Before I new it I had put a total of 50 rounds through this thing and they all functioned perfectly, no malfunctions of any kind.

All shots were made from a bi-pod under the front and a sand bag under the grip or magazine.

I was shooting hand loads that I developed for my 308 bolt rifle I use for hunting. The round is a 165 grain Speer BTSP over 43 grains of IMR 4064. In my bolt gun this combo gives me clover leafs at a 100 yards with a fully supported rifle. In the G2 we were close, but my shooting position is horrible, I am really hunched over the table. And that position really messes with how a short fat guy breaths. but it was good enough that I think I could come real close to duplicating those clover leafs if I could get a good shooting bench set up. I seated the bullet to magazine length. I had zero feed issues, ever thing functioned perfectly.

After I got the scope sited I started plinking. I was having so much fun I did not realize that I had burned through all the ammo I had, I have never shot more than a box of 308 in one sitting so to go through 47 was a lot. but it was incredible fun.

The Recoil was very pleasant and easy to handle which is good since one of the roles I hope this rifle will be able to fill is a hunting rifle for my son when he is old enough to hunt. The trigger is good, at for me any way. I do not anticipate upgrading it.

On another forum many people suggested that I skip the 16" barreled guns and go no less than 18" due to noise and muzzle flash. So I was kinda worried about the noise and flash when I was shooting the other evening. But to be honest, I think my M&P Sport has more noise and flash than this does. I did not start shooting till the sun was behind the closest mountain making it optimal conditions for seeing muzzle flash. Maybe it the flash hider, or the powder I don't know.

I would like to have been able to have a picture of a target to post, but after sighting in there were so many holes and so much masking tape that I don't think any one could really tell any thing from it. It was my last target. So instead of continuing to murder a piece of paper I went to murdering rocks. I was surrounded by black volcanic rocks with lots of white stuff on them (no idea what the white stuff is) which made them perfect targets for the conditions. Lets just say that if they had been Deer or Elk I would have had a lot of explaining to do if Fish and Game would have caught me. There is just something cool about the sound of a bullet smacking a rock at 200-300 yards. Plus for a guy like me it feels good to have the audible feed back letting me know I really did hit is.

I will post some groups when i do my load development for this rifle. I have 500 pulled bullets I got for 130.00 bucks. They are 175 grain SMKS. I plan on using the 2lbs of BLC-2 that I have as well as the 8lbs of surplus H335 that I have. I hope I can find something that works good with those components. Besides powder being scarce, my wife is ready for me to stop spending money on the little adventure.

Since some have asked about the brass, it actually looks really good, it all fell in about a 1 1/2 - 2 foot circle just a few feet behind and to the right of me, making recovery very easy. The rim looks good, the mouth looks good, so I say they are good to load again. The Primer strike looks pretty good as well.

I will try loading some pics of rifle and my worst piece of brass in the morning. The only internet I have is from my phone, its 4G unless its in my house and then its -4G

Is there some kind of a post count or other limit to posting pics?

Sounds good! I think these new lighter weight full sized rifles are going to hurt the sales of AR15 long range calibers. Why buy something that is 200fps slower when you can buy one that weighs the same, and has more available ammo that cost less. This is the best move DPMS has made in years.

So far this rifle really seems to like 175 SMK's over about 41 ish grains of WC-844. I did a 7 shot group last night that was very promising. There were a couple of "flyers" but I am about 100% sure they were all me and my crappy shooing set up. My wife took my van to go visit her parents and did not take out my shooting gear. So last night I was using a roles up blanket and a rest to kind of hobble something together. I am looking forward to finding out what this rifle is really capable of and then putting it and my skills (or more like the lack there of) to the test on the 100 yard target for elfster1234. Heck I might even go for the 300 yard target challenge. I find that I am having a tone of fun just shooting rocks. Here in Idaho we have a lot of volcanic rocks and it seems that many of them have a great deal of white in them, they make great long range targets because they stand out so well. And the smack the bullet makes when it connects just sort of makes me smile.

The bolt body appears to be the same diameter as an AR10 bolt. They're using radial lugs, and claim that this bolt and extension is actually stronger if I heard them right at SHOT. That could also be a function of metallurgy. AR10 bolts were designed with 8620 in mind, and since they have so much mass to them, they handle pressures well.

From what I understand, 7.62x39 AR suffered bolt issues for this very reason. I do notice that the LMT MWS/DPMS GenI .308s/KAC/Sig 716/etc. bolts have more material around the lugs than the DPMS GII.

The biggest issues with 7.62x39 stem from people trying to use 8620 steel that isn't heat treated correctly, ignoring the R&D Colt did on the 7.62x39 AR15A2 Sporter, and firing cheap Eastern garbage ammo with .311" projectiles through .308" pipes made in the West, especially in high volume. High volume plus spiked pressures plus bad metallurgy = sheared bolt lugs. None of those factors really apply to the AR10 bolt or .308 Winchester.

I spoke with DPMS's production manager at SHOT about my concerns about firing pin interaction with primers, and the firing pin hole diameter. I have owned several DPMS large frame guns, or custom guns built with their BCG's, and the larger .080" firing pin hole presents an issue for those of us shooting higher performance .308, .260 Rem, and 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition, whether hand loads or factory.

I'm currently in possession of a possible solution to this .080" firing pin hole, without having to bush the hole. So far, in 6.5x47 Lapua, it shows demonstrable improvement in preventing cratering of primers. Many of the primers on the market will start to crater at pressures that are lower than the SAAMI MAP's of .308 (62ksi), .260 Rem (60ksi), or 6.5x47 Lapua (63,500psi).

As I work with it more this spring and summer, I will post updates moving forward so those of us with large-frame guns can enjoy shooting slower burning powders with longer bearing surface projectiles in gas guns.

Last edited:
I understand cratered primers can be a sign of overpressure, but when it's due to excessive firing to firing pin hole clearance does it matter if you're just shooting factory ammo? Or is it something that just brings out the OCD we all have inside?

My factory R700 5R 308 craters primers 2gr below max worth of varget. Ive begun to ignore primer cratering as I see it so much in many guns I load for. Watch the edges of the primers, ejector swipes and ejection patterns.

The question for me is do I want one in 260 or 6.5?

The issue in gas guns is that if we're cratering primers because of lack of bolt face support, then we're closer to piercing primers, which can flow as molten cup material around the firing pin, then solidify and act as a binding inside the firing pin channel...not good. I've had it happen to me, but thankfully no binding of the firing pin occurred.

It won't happen in a bolt gun that often because you have an extremely strong striker spring behind the firing pin, and pin holes on the bolt face tend to be smaller.

There are gassers in the AR10 market that also have smaller pin holes, like Armalite and LMT with a .068" hole that is much less susceptible to cratered or pierced primers.

As to pressure indicators, I look at the chronograph first for an excursion from the trendline in a pressure ladder, while loading with solid data from recognized industry figures like Lapua/Vihtavuori, Hodgdon's, Hornady, Sierra, Speer, Berger, Nosler, Accurate Powders, Western Powders, etc.

Going into a new cartridge or component, I will cross-reference each industry figure as a sanity check before heading to the load bench with a charge weight range in mind, because there are differences based on the test rifles and components used. Lapua brass is totally different than my necked down 7mm-08 brass when loading for the .260 Rem, for example, and charge weights are not transferable for me.

Anyway, there is a simple fix for these firing pin holes that doesn't require any gunsmithing, but needs to be ironed out over the course of this year.

Should have my G2 Recon in a few weeks, thanks to all the good info in this thread I decided to give it a shot.

Review of DPMS 308 Long Range Hunter Lite. It had everything I wanted for $400-$600 less than the G2.

DPMS Long Range Lite with 24" HBAR 416 Stainless steel HBAR, hand guard is Carbon Fiber Free Float, trigger is Two-Stage Match, Hogue pistol grip and has an A2 butt stock. Gas block is 0.750 Weight 10.2 pounds.

People should be fired at DPMS, their web site and descriptions of their AR10 are horribly poor. I thought it came with 2 magazines. One 4 round magazine included. Fortunately I had already ordered a 10 and a 20 round Magpul mag. Actually getting a 4 round hunting magazine is a blessing as they cost $30.

Photo of rifle with added pistol grip and Tubbs adjustable buttplate and Limbsaver pad.

Tubbs pad does not hit my shoulder blade, it rests in the arm pit area with no bones to hit.

Nice swivel but way too large gas block. Already got my Wilson Combat Adjustable gas block, it can be adjusted with allen wrench from the front. Probably half the weight of the DPMS gas block with pic rail.

I shot 30 rounds of PPU and 30 rounds of Hornady Steel Match. Zero problems with the PPU, 3 O’clock ejection. Three failures to fire with dented primers on the Steel Match. Each fires the second time loaded.

Best of the groups.

I don't really love the charging handle, have one coming 308 model 3 BCM VLTOR Gunfighter Charging Handle. I still breaking in the barrel, if the Las Vegas winds allow, will shoot another 40-60 rounds tomorrow.

Will put the adjustable gas block on next week. Also cutting my JP Low Mass AR15 buffer by 0.625 inches to A10 rifle length.

I was very happy I could manage the 308 recoil. Was thinking about threading the muzzle for a good brake. Saving a LOT of money by not threading ($100) plus brake ($100).

Still I haven't shot the good ammo yet, 168 HPBT and Sierra 175 GR HPBT. I sighted in the scope to 1.3 inches high at 100 yards so it would be centered at 200 yards.

I swapped the DPMS two stage trigger for a Geiselle SSA-E trigger today, kind of spoiled now.

Last edited:
Visit Tubbs web site, price wasn't bad considering it contained enough parts for nearly three A1 stocks. I cut the HEAVY 0.750 inch steel insert in half, still need to drill a hole in end of the left over half, then I will have 2 butt plates for same price as one.

Tubbs is a fair to middling shooter, Texas of course.

I don't think we need a review of the boring Gen1 in the Gen2 thread yo

Well I would like to post a pic of a target or run the 100 yard challenge but I am having one heck of a time developing a load that will give me better than a 2" group at a 100 yards. I am not sure if it is powder, primer, bullet, or all three. I am using WC-844,175g SMK and once fired LC brass with a Rem 9 1/2 mag primer. BLC-2 gave me worse groups. I have some Hornady 150 grain soft points but I figured with a 1:10 twist the 175's would get me better, am i wrong?

I'm currently in possession of a possible solution to this .080" firing pin hole, without having to bush the hole. So far, in 6.5x47 Lapua, it shows demonstrable improvement in preventing cratering of primers.

Looking forward to this. I'm seeing noticeable cratering on the primers in my G2 shooting factory CBC M80 ammo. I'd say the firing pin indent is almost pushed out to level with the rest of the primer.

Finally received my g2 recon.
Quality is much improved over the older dpms', just a little wiggle between upper and lower, not a lot like their usual products.
It really does feel like a 223 ar15 in terms of ergos and weight.
Pretty much makes an spr style 223 ar build obsolete.

Terrible conditions today, wind was in the 20-50 mph range and gusty. Was hard to hold a point of aim.
But I had to try it out, ran my typical lmt mws loads through it.
44 grains of varget and 168 Amax
42.8 grains of varget and 178 Amax
47 grains of varget and 110 vmax
Saddle bag for the forearm and bean bag on the stock, prone, 100 meters.
1-4 meopta zd for glass.

Very promising indeed, I'm excited to start load development.
Flyers are typically last round in the mag. I'd heard about this, but never experienced it with my mws. Perhaps the phase 5 bolt release is interfering with the bolt somehow as the last round is stripped. It's slightly taller than the factory part is...
Recoil with the Pws brake and 110 grain vmax was very similar to a 223 ar with a standard flash hider.
It does crater the primers consistently, regardless of the load. No primer failures though.
Fun rifle !

I would love to see a 6.5 CM in the SASS or recon G2. One thing to keep in mind though is that in GAP-10's and other rifles using the DPMS they had to switch to the Armalite pin ssize to alleviate primer flow/piercing issues in the 6mm/6.5 semi-auto's.

I would be curious to know if an SSA-E could be installed in one of these, I really prefer a good two stage trigger in a precision gas gun.

I would be curious to know if an SSA-E could be installed in one of these, I really prefer a good two stage trigger in a precision gas gun.

Yes. Standard ar triggers work fine. Just put the s3g in mine.

It does crater the primers consistently, regardless of the load. No primer failures though.

Mine does the same. Haven't put any handloads through it either: factory CBC, Aguilla and "Colt" (reboxed Barnaul, didn't realize that when I bought it). All shoot great, just don't like the looks of the primer. I'll try and get some pics up.

Waiting on LRRPF52's secret fix for the primers...

Is that a Factory Free Float Tube on there? My Gen 2 Recon came with the usual quad rails. If that's not factory then care to share what Brand and Model that is??? Thanks!

Quality is much improved over the older dpms', just a little wiggle between upper and lower, not a lot like their usual products.

Terrible conditions today, wind was in the 20-50 mph range and gusty. Was hard to hold a point of aim.
1-4 meopta zd for glass.

Flyers are typically last round in the mag. I'd heard about this, but never experienced it with my mws. Perhaps the phase 5 bolt release is interfering with the bolt somehow as the last round is stripped. It's slightly taller than the factory part is...
Recoil with the Pws brake and 110 grain vmax was very similar to a 223 ar with a standard flash hider.
Fun rifle !

I would Serious Reommend you the try the Gen 2 Factory Trigger first BEFORE spending $250 on a aftermarket trigger. The Factory 2 Stage Trigger is Fantastic for stock unit and Blows anything DPMS Ever Offer Before Out of the waters!!!

I would love to see a 6.5 CM in the SASS or recon G2. One thing to keep in mind though is that in GAP-10's and other rifles using the DPMS they had to switch to the Armalite pin ssize to alleviate primer flow/piercing issues in the 6mm/6.5 semi-auto's.

I am sure the SSA-E will work, I sure hope so its better than ANY factory trigger and I bought one for my G2 SASS. There was a vendor recently selling them for about $190 on sale a couple weeks back. I use one in my SPR AR and I don't think I will want any other trigger after that.

Is that a Factory Free Float Tube on there? My Gen 2 Recon came with the usual quad rails. If that's not factory then care to share what Brand and Model that is??? Thanks!

That's a ruger sr22 forearm, threads right on.
I was just goofing around trying some Yankee hill tubes, which do not fit incidentally, and tried the old ruger tube out.
About half the weight of the factory rail.
I'd sell my left nut for one of the new midwest rails, but alas, I'm in Canada, and have not found anybody who sells midwest and ships north.

The trigger is very comparable to an ssa. Swapping it for one would be a waste.

I got out to do a little load testing with 110 grain hornady vmax.
Conditions sucked, 25 mph winds that were gusting and 30 degree temp.
But I found a couple charge weights that look good.
Recoil is similar to a .223 ar with a flash hider.
Winchester brass, cci200 primers, vv n135 powder, 110 vmax, and 2.710 oal.
220 meters.

Someone may have already asked this but I haven't seen anything the past 3 pages. Does someone make a 12-15" hand guard for the ap4 or recon? I want a simple tubular handguard.

Looking to build something like the Hunter model but not a 20" pencil barrel.

Last edited:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398006829.387708.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398006840.256016.jpg

I was finally able to make it back out and try some more test loads.

The circled group is the best I was able to get with 150 grain Hornady SP over some BLC-2. The other group is IMR 4064 and some pulled 175 SMK's

I those are 1/2 grain increments so I am not sure how much better I can get with the BLC-2.

But that should be good enough for killing appear and plinking.

Run it on the 100yard shootout thread for the love of god! ;)

1-4 meopta zd for glass.

Fun rifle !

Run it on the 100yard shootout thread for the love of god! ;)

Where is this 100 yard shootout thread??.... (for the love of god!)

I'm getting a DPMS Hunter this week and will be posting MANY groups with different loads (because I have a range in my backyard)
I will post them on this thread instead of the shootout thread because that is what this thread if for I thought.... a review of THIS rifle and not a contest.