• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Holy smokes, DPMS G2 rifles

Im excited to hear good things about the new SASS rifle. I had one the originals, (first run) and to say I was disappointed would be the understatement of the year.
*FTF,FTE, Fail to operate properly at all.

Looks like I might have to save some more pennies :)

I seem to read conflicting reports on whether or not it will accept regular aftermarket at15 handguards. If they make it in 6.5cm and itll take a noveske nsr I'll have to pick one up.

Just received mine a few days before having to head back to work overseas last week. I installed Magpul OD furniture , Vortex Razor HP 5-20x50 EBR2 (MRAD) scope on a 35mm AADMOUNT, GG&G bipod, and SpecWar 762 suppressor. I also replaced the standard carbine spring and buffer with the JP AR-10 Silent Captured Spring Buffer (checked w/JP first - they said it will work). Didn't have time to get to the range with it, and the weather sucked while I was on days off. I'll let you know how she handles after I send a few down the pipe.

Sorry….. the photos were deleted from my original post (rookie error). Here's the re-post:

Last edited:
Nice, Nice, Nice! Old School... when you say you replaced the carbine buffer spring and buffer, I am a little confused. I thought the PRS uses a Rifle length tube?

Picked up my G2 SASS from the FFL yesterday. Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet but I'm impressed. The trigger is nice, I don't think I'll be changing it. There is a little bit of play between the lower and upper but not much. Most AR15s I've handled have more play. It takes quite a bit to rack the bolt back. I don't consider myself a wuss but it's pretty damn tough to get ALL the way back.

I can't believe how much it feels like a AR15. I really didn't believe it when people said that but it is true.

I did swap the bi-pod for another Harris bi-pod I had laying around. I didn't like the way the legs extended on the one the gun came with.

And now for the good stuff!

How it came from the FFL

This is a Hornady Superformance 165gr GMX round.

You are having trouble racking the bolt because of the badger lever. It opens past perpendicular to the receiver and forces you to put sideways pressure in it to keep from slipping off the charging handle, which makes the handle bind in the receiver.

Try a Raptor handle or even a stock latch and you won't have any trouble.

You are having trouble racking the bolt because of the badger lever. It opens past perpendicular to the receiver and forces you to put sideways pressure in it to keep from slipping off the charging handle, which makes the handle bind in the receiver.

It's actually much better now. Got 108 rounds through it and it's much easier. Still 0 malfunctions.

Crane and Oldschool, will AR-15 handguards fit the GII? It's a little unclear per the DPMS website.

I'd love one, but I would like to put a Fortis rail on it.

Thanks!

Crane and Oldschool, will AR-15 handguards fit the GII? It's a little unclear per the DPMS website.

I'd love one, but I would like to put a Fortis rail on it.

Thanks!

No. The thread on the upper receiver is proprietary to DPMS. Which was a big mistake by them (I think).

I will hold out for AR Performance to release his version. His upper fits standard DPMS 308 lower but you can use AR15 rails.

No. The thread on the upper receiver is proprietary to DPMS. Which was a big mistake by them (I think).

I will hold out for AR Performance to release his version. His upper fits standard DPMS 308 lower but you can use AR15 rails.
Id have to agree. They screwed the pooch not using standard ar15 barrel nut dimensions. Although after seeing how Harrison conducts himself on other forums besides 68 I dont think I'll be buying his product either. I believe I'll pick up Seekins new big frame ar. Only slightly heavier(~pound), uses standard parts and is higher quality I'm sure.

The G2 AP4 barrel nut will accept any AR15 rail that uses a standard AR15 barrel nut:

- Daniel Defense Omega
- Centurion Arms C4
- Samson Evolution
- Troy Alpha

I'm probably missing a few.

Of course, you'd have to shave down the FSB but that is pretty easy to do.

Nice, Nice, Nice! Old School... when you say you replaced the carbine buffer spring and buffer, I am a little confused. I thought the PRS uses a Rifle length tube?

Ren,
The Magpul UBR that I installed (in place of the PRS) uses a carbine length tube. It came with the tube, but not with the spring and buffer. The guys at Primary Arms in Pearland, TX, showed me the JP Silent Captured Spring system, so I went with it instead of a standard AR-10 set-up. And thanks for the compliments.

The G2 AP4 barrel nut will accept any AR15 rail that uses a standard AR15 barrel nut:

- Daniel Defense Omega
- Centurion Arms C4
- Samson Evolution
- Troy Alpha

I'm probably missing a few.

Of course, you'd have to shave down the FSB but that is pretty easy to do.
Well that's not too bad then. The Fortis Rev rail also attaches to a standard barrel nut as well. If they come out with a 6.5CM that shoots well I may have to get one.

I plan to do this. Plus you get the benefit of ambi control.

It wasn't a big mistake for many reasons. They had to reduce the upper receiver size to get the weight down, and they went with a Bolt Carrier that is the same diameter as an AR15 carrier.

By going with a smaller male end upper receiver threads, it allows more AR15 handguards to be used, with only a barrel nut interface difference from the manufacturers of existing AR15 fore ends. For Remington/DPMS/Bushmaster, that means all the handguards that are currently within those brand names' production capacity just became open for use on their rifle.

Additionally, they began cooperation with other manufacturers by providing the thread dimensions of the new barrel nut, so that companies outside Freedom Group could satisfy the market with their products as well. Here is the Midwest Industries DPMS GII lightweight handguard:

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z349/Midwest_Ind/MI-DPMS308G2/P2252303_zps1a6ad09c.jpg

DPMS Gen II owners, we just want to let you guys know we have been working on a KeyMod handguard for your rifles. First let me clarify that a standard AR handguard will not work with these rifles. Because of this we decided to take our popular Gen II handguard and re-designed it to fit this weapon.
This handguard is 12" long and weighs in at 9 oz with the barrel nut.
Here are a few pictures of one of the new handguards in the raw. These 12" handguards are in production and will be ready to ship in 2-3 weeks. A 15" version will go into production after that.
The introductory price on the 12" will be $219.95

I plan to do this. Plus you get the benefit of ambi control.

The charge handle is not compatible with AR15 or AR10 charge handles currently on the market. They tried to get the receiver, carrier, and charge handle lengths the same, but the added length of the mag well required that the bolt carrier, upper receiver, and charge handle be slightly longer.

The charge handle is not compatible with AR15 or AR10 charge handles currently on the market. They tried to get the receiver, carrier, and charge handle lengths the same, but the added length of the mag well required that the bolt carrier, upper receiver, and charge handle be slightly longer.

OK. Thanks for the tip. I hadn't tried a straight swap of a 5.56 AR because the receiver is clearly longer. Figured I would have to track down another semi-auto 308 option.

Does this mean, then, that the charger for the GII's are completely unique to this rifle?

OK. Thanks for the tip. I hadn't tried a straight swap of a 5.56 AR because the receiver is clearly longer. Figured I would have to track down another semi-auto 308 option.

Does this mean, then, that the charger for the GII's are completely unique to this rifle?

I would guess that is the case. Shorter than DPMS/Armalite and longer than standard ar15.

I don't suppose we would be so lucky that they would have made it the same length as for a Colt 901? Because I'd really, really like a BCM charging handle for the 901.

If anyone wants to measure the length of the GII handle, I'll measure the length of the 901 handle.

I would like to get a DPMS GII hunter, Install that MI key mod HG, a Badger 34mm scope mount and a Mark 6 leupold to keep it light as possible.

Let us know how the jp buffer works on the sass. I'll be interested to see how it works.

I'm on the fence with these and curious if anyone got to spend more time behind a GII Recon or GII SASS, updates, groups, issues, etc? Thanks.

So how does the G2 send lead down range? I haven't seen a whole lot of targets being shot...

I've got a G2 hunter on order as of today. We'll see what the wait turns out to be... Looking forward to some aftermarket support for this. Hopefully we finally end up with a standard "AR10" platform!

I've got a G2 hunter on order as of today. We'll see what the wait turns out to be... Looking forward to some aftermarket support for this. Hopefully we finally end up with a standard "AR10" platform!

I don't think a new sized large frame is even close to a standard.

I don't think a new sized large frame is even close to a standard.

... yet. :)

Honestly, when I saw the features on the rifle I was just thinking that this is what an AR10 should be. My second thought was that DPMS has just about standardized the 308 AR market around their Gen1 design so what the heck are they doing changing things? But, everyone I have read who has shot one of the G2's has loved it and it seems few want to go back.

This will be my first 308 AR anyways, so I don't have to worry about having a lot of old parts. If the rifle is all it sounds like, I sure hope the market follows. When there are 80% G2 lowers out there, then we'll know!

I just took my GII SASS out to the range again today. My first 5 shot group for the day at 200 yards went like this: First 3 shots measure .313 moa.... add in the fourth round and it opens up to .594... I really screwed up the last shot :mad:... When I add in shot 5 (which was ALL me) the group opens up to 1.125 moa :(

I did have 1 FTF on the third round. The bolt didn't quite catch the back of the next round and stove piped. This was round 148 for this rifle and the only malfunction so far. I haven't cleaned the rifle whatsoever since round 30 so that's 118 rounds straight without any kind of cleaning before a malfunction.

My other group averaged about .85 moa but by then I was tired and frustrated from my first group :mad:

omg! just run it on the shootout thread for the love of god! ;)

I just took my GII SASS out to the range again today. My first 5 shot group for the day at 200 yards went like this: First 3 shots measure .313 moa.... add in the fourth round and it opens up to .594... I really screwed up the last shot :mad:... When I add in shot 5 (which was ALL me) the group opens up to 1.125 moa :(

I did have 1 FTF on the third round. The bolt didn't quite catch the back of the next round and stove piped. This was round 148 for this rifle and the only malfunction so far. I haven't cleaned the rifle whatsoever since round 30 so that's 118 rounds straight without any kind of cleaning before a malfunction.

My other group averaged about .85 moa but by then I was tired and frustrated from my first group :mad:

The sass is at the top of my buy list. I stumbled on these a few months back and am impressed with the redesign. Plus I have a new scope and mount on the shelf that needs a home.

I received my DPMS Gen 2 Recon from Dales Gun Shop in Marengo, Illinois a month ago. $1400.

I have had ZERO feeding, firing, and ejection issues going through 500 rounds of Lake City M80FMJ to date.

It is indeed very light for a .308 AR. I replaced the factory quad rail with a standard AR spec Nordic Components 13 inch free float tube and it fits just fine.

Wanting to tempt fate, I installed a standard AR style ALG/ACT trigger set along with the JPS3.5 spring set. 100 rounds of M80FMJ without an issue with that dinky spring set. Amazing.

My brother's SIG 716 has numerous feed and ejections problems with the same batch of ammo, and it weighs a couple pounds more than mine. And my brother claims that my Gen2 handles and recoils much closer in feel to his SIG 516.

The charging handle is unique in length, so I had to install a Badger tactical handle instead of going aftermarket. I went with a 3/32" tension pin in lieu of the factory AR spec 1/16" tension pin.

The monolithic bolt carrier group is just the cat's ass.

I picked my G2 Hunter up from my FFL yesterday, after it was purchased from Bud's on 2/28 (it actually arrived this past Monday).
I mounted a Leupold fixed 10x on it for the time being, though it will get a Bushnell ERS soon enough. With the Leupold and ADM mount it is a svelt 9.6 lbs unloaded.

I went straight to the range with it despite winds gusting into the 20 mph range, blowing from 1030 to 430 across the range. I was quite pleased with initial groups, which I fired from a less than perfect array of sandbags. It was fairly well zero'd in three shots and then I ran a few 5 shot groups. I even included one 10 shot group for the purists, but I was only working with the 4 rd mag at the time or else I would've fired a couple more 10's. Today I fired 60 rounds of Federal GMM and a final group of Hornady 168 A-Max. Zero malfunctions were incurred.
I found the trigger to be very nice with a very slight bit of creep just before it breaks, a very clean break, and very little overtravel. I don't believe I'll be changing triggers.
I am very pleased with this rifle so far, especially having paid less than $1350 delivered. It feels amazing in hand, and definitely feels like an AR-15 as advertised, not blocky like the gen 1's and other 308 AR's I've handled.
More range reports to follow, in non tornado conditions.

The very first 5 rounds after zero:

10 Shot group in the bottom left:

It feels amazing in hand, and definitely feels like an AR-15 as advertised, not blocky like the gen 1's and other 308 AR's I've handled.

I get the same thing from everyone who handles my Gen2.

Dude, thats absolutely amazing! Nice groups and killer rifle! What a deal!

I picked my G2 Hunter up from my FFL yesterday, after it was purchased from Bud's on 2/28 (it actually arrived this past Monday).
I mounted a Leupold fixed 10x on it for the time being, though it will get a Bushnell ERS soon enough. With the Leupold and ADM mount it is a svelt 9.6 lbs unloaded.

I went straight to the range with it despite winds gusting into the 20 mph range, blowing from 1030 to 430 across the range. I was quite pleased with initial groups, which I fired from a less than perfect array of sandbags. It was fairly well zero'd in three shots and then I ran a few 5 shot groups. I even included one 10 shot group for the purists, but I was only working with the 4 rd mag at the time or else I would've fired a couple more 10's. Today I fired 60 rounds of Federal GMM and a final group of Hornady 168 A-Max. Zero malfunctions were incurred.
I found the trigger to be very nice with a very slight bit of creep just before it breaks, a very clean break, and very little overtravel. I don't believe I'll be changing triggers.
I am very pleased with this rifle so far, especially having paid less than $1350 delivered. It feels amazing in hand, and definitely feels like an AR-15 as advertised, not blocky like the gen 1's and other 308 AR's I've handled.
More range reports to follow, in non tornado conditions.

The very first 5 rounds after zero:

10 Shot group in the bottom left:

Picked up my G2 SASS from the FFL yesterday. Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet but I'm impressed. The trigger is nice, I don't think I'll be changing it. There is a little bit of play between the lower and upper but not much. Most AR15s I've handled have more play. It takes quite a bit to rack the bolt back. I don't consider myself a wuss but it's pretty damn tough to get ALL the way back.

I can't believe how much it feels like a AR15. I really didn't believe it when people said that but it is true.

I did swap the bi-pod for another Harris bi-pod I had laying around. I didn't like the way the legs extended on the one the gun came with.

And now for the good stuff!

How it came from the FFL

This is a Hornady Superformance 165gr GMX round.

Wondering what scope / mount you used? Mainly is that the 20 MOA recon, and a 50mm objective? I just purchased my SASS and a Viper PST 6-24x50 wondering if the 20 MOA ADM Recon would be where I need it.

Got in a brief range trip this morning and put 40 more rounds of Federal 168 down the pipe. It seems to shoot better when it's a little warm, and either it or I am throwing a flyer out of almost every group. If I can isolate that, I think I'll really have a great shooter on my hands.

806B24F4-302B-4FDE-879D-C8CF3E844A53.jpg

group sizes are identical to my LMT when I first got it with factory ammo... about 1.5 to 1moa.... it wasn't until the rifle was fully broke in, I was used to shooting the rifle, and I was able to do load development that I was able to get 1moa and sub moa groups to form... hell, it wasn't until I was well over 2k rounds down the tube and well over 1year of ownership using my own tuned reloads was I actually able to produce "sub-moa" all day long on the shootout threads... reloading really is the key here for consistent sub-moa groups!

guys... for a .308 semi auto... it's hard to produce sub-moa consistent groups.. hell, ive seen the very same group sizes and worse from guys on the hide posting groups shot out of KAC's and LMT's.... with that said, I'd keep on trucking, get used to the rifle, and tune some reloads if you are into reloading. My LMT didn't really start to shine until about 500rounds down the tube. Until then, I'd keep on trucking and your groups are very normal.

this is the way I look at it for a new .308 semi auto after looking at my own groups and hundreds of other people's groups across the globe (even with high end rifles like LMT, OBR's, GAPs, blah blah blah):

more than 2moa @ 100yards = most likely something wrong with the rifle

about 2moa to to 1.75 = really not that good

about 1.75 to 1.5 = needs improvement

about 1.5 to 1.25 = about average

1.25 to 1moa = is actually really good!

anything under 1moa / submoa= kick ass! and doesn't happen that much for weekend warriors!

Got in a brief range trip this morning and put 40 more rounds of Federal 168 down the pipe. It seems to shoot better when it's a little warm, and either it or I am throwing a flyer out of almost every group. If I can isolate that, I think I'll really have a great shooter on my hands.

806B24F4-302B-4FDE-879D-C8CF3E844A53.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not dissatisfied with the rifle at all, but an average closer to 1 MOA would make me much happier.
I'm going to load up a few ladder tests and try some Hornady TAP 155 loads too.

As is, it will still handle the the tasks I want to handle though.

I'd say that's pretty good given a new rifle and factory loads. With time and some tweaking that ought to be an moa gun pretty easily and that's damn good IMO for how much it costs.

Holy smokes, DPMS G2 rifles

Hi,
New Guy here. I joined the forum just so I could post in this thread. I am relatively new to guns. I have only been consistently shooting for the past 6-7 years or so. I decided to get into reloading and I kinda got sucked in. I am by no means a long ranger shooter, I am a 500 yard and under guy, typically 100-200 yards. I just don't put the time in at the bench to become more. I am really just a weekend warrior kind of guy. I don't have time for shooting competitions or any thing like that. But I do recognize a fun gun when I see one. I have wanted to buy a semi-auto 308 for about the last five years. Things finally lined up so I could make this purchase.

After looking at several of the rifles on the market I settled on the G2 Recon. Price was right and the options were good. And besides somebody has to buy a first year model so the rest of you can find out if they are worth it.

Like I said, not really a professional here so take my review of this rifle for what it is. I only have one other semi auto and it is a Smith and Wesson Sport 223 that I bought the Monday after you know who was re-elected. I figured something was going to happen that would threaten our right to buy and own "these scary black rifles". I just had no Ideal it was going to be something so horrible as some twisted individual mass murdering a bunch of kids. So any way, I have very limited experience with AR's.

I bought my rifle on line sight unseen, first time buying a gun of any kind on line. So leaps of faith of two fronts here. No one near me had one let alone new that a new version was out, so it was purchased site un seen.

I was pretty excited about it and could not wait to get it, and so far I am very happy with my purchase. I was/am a little leery about all the new design changes but like I said, someone has to be the first so I gambled.

When I pulled it out of the box to do the pre-transfer inspection I was quite please with the fit and finish. The lines were good, no gaps, every thing fit nice and tight like I would expect. The finish was flawless, basically it looked like I would expect a 1,400 dollar rifle to look.
After paying my $20.00 transfer fee I took it home and proceeded to put three rounds through it because the sun was setting and I just could not help my self, I was so excited about having it finally. Then I went inside and did a field strip and clean. Again nothing that I would not expect. Every thing seemed to look good, fit good and function good.

The only issue that has been noticed is how the Nikon M-223 mount fits, either the mount is a little out of spec or my top rail is, as its on as far as my gun smith could get it without putting some real effort into it. As it turns out, its location is about where it needs to be.

I have yet to shoot it with the factory mag, I purchased a few P-mags before the rifle showed up, and got them loaded up and ready to go. And so far they have performed perfectly no flaws at all.

This last Saturday i had about 45-min to an hour to go sight in so I took it out at last light and sighted in. Before I new it I had put a total of 50 rounds through this thing and they all functioned perfectly, no malfunctions of any kind.

All shots were made from a bi-pod under the front and a sand bag under the grip or magazine.

I was shooting hand loads that I developed for my 308 bolt rifle I use for hunting. The round is a 165 grain Speer BTSP over 43 grains of IMR 4064. In my bolt gun this combo gives me clover leafs at a 100 yards with a fully supported rifle. In the G2 we were close, but my shooting position is horrible, I am really hunched over the table. And that position really messes with how a short fat guy breaths. but it was good enough that I think I could come real close to duplicating those clover leafs if I could get a good shooting bench set up. I seated the bullet to magazine length. I had zero feed issues, ever thing functioned perfectly.

After I got the scope sited I started plinking. I was having so much fun I did not realize that I had burned through all the ammo I had, I have never shot more than a box of 308 in one sitting so to go through 47 was a lot. but it was incredible fun.

The Recoil was very pleasant and easy to handle which is good since one of the roles I hope this rifle will be able to fill is a hunting rifle for my son when he is old enough to hunt. The trigger is good, at for me any way. I do not anticipate upgrading it.

On another forum many people suggested that I skip the 16" barreled guns and go no less than 18" due to noise and muzzle flash. So I was kinda worried about the noise and flash when I was shooting the other evening. But to be honest, I think my M&P Sport has more noise and flash than this does. I did not start shooting till the sun was behind the closest mountain making it optimal conditions for seeing muzzle flash. Maybe it the flash hider, or the powder I don't know.

I would like to have been able to have a picture of a target to post, but after sighting in there were so many holes and so much masking tape that I don't think any one could really tell any thing from it. It was my last target. So instead of continuing to murder a piece of paper I went to murdering rocks. I was surrounded by black volcanic rocks with lots of white stuff on them (no idea what the white stuff is) which made them perfect targets for the conditions. Lets just say that if they had been Deer or Elk I would have had a lot of explaining to do if Fish and Game would have caught me. There is just something cool about the sound of a bullet smacking a rock at 200-300 yards. Plus for a guy like me it feels good to have the audible feed back letting me know I really did hit is.

I will post some groups when i do my load development for this rifle. I have 500 pulled bullets I got for 130.00 bucks. They are 175 grain SMKS. I plan on using the 2lbs of BLC-2 that I have as well as the 8lbs of surplus H335 that I have. I hope I can find something that works good with those components. Besides powder being scarce, my wife is ready for me to stop spending money on the little adventure.

Since some have asked about the brass, it actually looks really good, it all fell in about a 1 1/2 - 2 foot circle just a few feet behind and to the right of me, making recovery very easy. The rim looks good, the mouth looks good, so I say they are good to load again. The Primer strike looks pretty good as well.

I will try loading some pics of rifle and my worst piece of brass in the morning. The only internet I have is from my phone, its 4G unless its in my house and then its -4G
ymy9a5ym.jpg
a7upynes.jpg

Last edited:
welcome to the hide and your first post was fantastic! very informative and thank you for the information! if you want a really good challenge and is actually rather fun rather than just pulling the trigger sending bullets down range, try jumping into the shootout challenge! 30 bullets, 6groups, 5shots each, all on 1pc of paper. all shot in a row. maybe try to get your rear sandbag under your buttstock and off the magazine. Even if you don't make the top ten, post your results and I think you will find it rather fun!

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...00yard-semi-auto-6group-30round-shootout.html

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...0yard-semi-auto-6groups-30round-shootout.html

Hi,
New Guy here. I joined the forum just so I could post in this thread. I am relatively new to guns. I have only been consistently shooting for the past 6-7 years or so. I decided to get into reloading and I kinda got sucked in. I am by no means a long ranger shooter, I am a 500 yard and under guy, typically 100-200 yards. I just don't put the time in at the bench to become more. I am really just a weekend warrior kind of guy. I don't have time for shooting competitions or any thing like that. But I do recognize a fun gun when I see one. I have wanted to buy a semi-auto 308 for about the last five years. Things finally lined up so I could make this purchase.

After looking at several of the rifles on the market I settled on the G2 Recon. Price was right and the options were good. And besides somebody has to buy a first year model so the rest of you can find out if they are worth it.

Like I said, not really a professional here so take my review of this rifle for what it is. I only have one other semi auto and it is a Smith and Wesson Sport 223 that I bought the Monday after you know who was re-elected. I figured something was going to happen that would threaten our right to buy and own "these scary black rifles". I just had no Ideal it was going to be something so horrible as some twisted individual mass murdering a bunch of kids. So any way, I have very limited experience with AR's.

I bought my rifle on line sight unseen, first time buying a gun of any kind on line. So leaps of faith of two fronts here. No one near me had one let alone new that a new version was out, so it was purchased site un seen.

I was pretty excited about it and could not wait to get it, and so far I am very happy with my purchase. I was/am a little leery about all the new design changes but like I said, someone has to be the first so I gambled.

When I pulled it out of the box to do the pre-transfer inspection I was quite please with the fit and finish. The lines were good, no gaps, every thing fit nice and tight like I would expect. The finish was flawless, basically it looked like I would expect a 1,400 dollar rifle to look.
After paying my $20.00 transfer fee I took it home and proceeded to put three rounds through it because the sun was setting and I just could not help my self, I was so excited about having it finally. Then I went inside and did a field strip and clean. Again nothing that I would not expect. Every thing seemed to look good, fit good and function good.

The only issue that has been noticed is how the Nikon M-223 mount fits, either the mount is a little out of spec or my top rail is, as its on as far as my gun smith could get it without putting some real effort into it. As it turns out, its location is about where it needs to be.

I have yet to shoot it with the factory mag, I purchased a few P-mags before the rifle showed up, and got them loaded up and ready to go. And so far they have performed perfectly no flaws at all.

This last Saturday i had about 45-min to an hour to go sight in so I took it out at last light and sighted in. Before I new it I had put a total of 50 rounds through this thing and they all functioned perfectly, no malfunctions of any kind.

All shots were made from a bi-pod under the front and a sand bag under the grip or magazine.

I was shooting hand loads that I developed for my 308 bolt rifle I use for hunting. The round is a 165 grain Speer BTSP over 43 grains of IMR 4064. In my bolt gun this combo gives me clover leafs at a 100 yards with a fully supported rifle. In the G2 we were close, but my shooting position is horrible, I am really hunched over the table. And that position really messes with how a short fat guy breaths. but it was good enough that I think I could come real close to duplicating those clover leafs if I could get a good shooting bench set up. I seated the bullet to magazine length. I had zero feed issues, ever thing functioned perfectly.

After I got the scope sited I started plinking. I was having so much fun I did not realize that I had burned through all the ammo I had, I have never shot more than a box of 308 in one sitting so to go through 47 was a lot. but it was incredible fun.

The Recoil was very pleasant and easy to handle which is good since one of the roles I hope this rifle will be able to fill is a hunting rifle for my son when he is old enough to hunt. The trigger is good, at for me any way. I do not anticipate upgrading it.

On another forum many people suggested that I skip the 16" barreled guns and go no less than 18" due to noise and muzzle flash. So I was kinda worried about the noise and flash when I was shooting the other evening. But to be honest, I think my M&P Sport has more noise and flash than this does. I did not start shooting till the sun was behind the closest mountain making it optimal conditions for seeing muzzle flash. Maybe it the flash hider, or the powder I don't know.

I would like to have been able to have a picture of a target to post, but after sighting in there were so many holes and so much masking tape that I don't think any one could really tell any thing from it. It was my last target. So instead of continuing to murder a piece of paper I went to murdering rocks. I was surrounded by black volcanic rocks with lots of white stuff on them (no idea what the white stuff is) which made them perfect targets for the conditions. Lets just say that if they had been Deer or Elk I would have had a lot of explaining to do if Fish and Game would have caught me. There is just something cool about the sound of a bullet smacking a rock at 200-300 yards. Plus for a guy like me it feels good to have the audible feed back letting me know I really did hit is.

I will post some groups when i do my load development for this rifle. I have 500 pulled bullets I got for 130.00 bucks. They are 175 grain SMKS. I plan on using the 2lbs of BLC-2 that I have as well as the 8lbs of surplus H335 that I have. I hope I can find something that works good with those components. Besides powder being scarce, my wife is ready for me to stop spending money on the little adventure.

Since some have asked about the brass, it actually looks really good, it all fell in about a 1 1/2 - 2 foot circle just a few feet behind and to the right of me, making recovery very easy. The rim looks good, the mouth looks good, so I say they are good to load again. The Primer strike looks pretty good as well.

I will try loading some pics of rifle and my worst piece of brass in the morning. The only internet I have is from my phone, its 4G unless its in my house and then its -4G

Wondering what scope / mount you used? Mainly is that the 20 MOA recon, and a 50mm objective? I just purchased my SASS and a Viper PST 6-24x50 wondering if the 20 MOA ADM Recon would be where I need it.

It's a recon with a 42mm lens. When I ordered it from SWFA it didn't say anything about 20 moa but I think it actually is. I took it off a remmy 700 with a 20 moa base and it was only about 1 mil off, if that, plus the back of the mount looks bigger (thicker) than the front.

You should be fine with a 50mm lens. I have enough clearance on mine to clear the front BUIS.

It's a recon with a 42mm lens. When I ordered it from SWFA it didn't say anything about 20 moa but I think it actually is. I took it off a remmy 700 with a 20 moa base and it was only about 1 mil off, if that, plus the back of the mount looks bigger (thicker) than the front.

You should be fine with a 50mm lens. I have enough clearance on mine to clear the front BUIS.

Thanks man, I just ordered the Recon H.

For those saying "meh" and "not that good", what you are seeing is the skill level of the shooter shooting a rifle without enough rounds through the barrel. (No offense to jb326).

The fact that the rifle has produced sub-minute groups with a new barrel means that the rifle can do this consistently, with a competent shooter, shooting tuned handloads, from a steady rest, while applying marksmanship fundamentals.

Echoing what Elfster said, I have never had a rifle that shot consistent MOA groups with a new barrel...virtually every rifle i shot (except my savage .243 bolt gun) started off above MOA and then somewhere between 200-500 rounds, really settled in.

Keep putting rounds through your rifle...one day, shooting sub-minute groups will become the norm rather than the exception.

Jb326, just to be clear, Nice rifle, good shooting, and thanks for the update. You've put me over the top...I think i'll be adding one of these to my collection later this year.