• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I wanna get my first bolt for the range and target shooting, any recommendation?

Drunk Turtle

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2019
If I was rich I'd get myself an AI AXMC or somehow get an L115A3, maybe go balls to the wall and get the ANZIO 20mm, but I'm not rich nor is it a good idea getting one of those rifles as my first.

Jokes aside.

From my research, I'm thinking about either the Ruger Precision or the Remington model 700 XCR. Though, I'm still trying to figure out if I want to shoot 308 or 300 win mag. I'm willing to pay at most $2200 for a bolt.

Ruger precison is an easy answer.

I wouldnt waste money on the xcr unless you intend on leaving your rifle outside in the rain and not taking care of it. Id buy a blank action for 300 and put on a remage barrel on it for 450 and put that in a krg bravo for 350 before I spent 8-900 on a remington just because it got a special coating that does nothing for you.

Lots of good options.

I have the rpr in 6.5 cm. In my opinion it’s a good starter rifle. I hit steel out to 1300 yds (range max) consistently with hand loads.

If you're not hunting avoid the 300wm at all costs. Anything bigger than a 308 is doing nothing for you besides kicking you harder.

Lots of good options in your price range. Pretty much pick your poison on rifles.

Just remember rifles are fun, but your return on investment is always better with spending the bulk of your funds on quality training classes, good ammo and a quality scope.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I agree with others that 300 WM is probably not a great idea. Stick to 308 and you will be happier

Ruger RPR is great, as is the Tikka CTR, Tikka Tac A1, and Bergara HMR.
.300 WM isn't what Id recomend. I dont have fun shooting .300, i just see dollar signs being thrown downrange, and expensive ammo discourages frequent trips to the range. Like others have said, hunting only imo.

.308 is a fun hunting amd ramge caliber! As is 6.5 CM. If you arent dead set against 6.5 Creedmoor id give it a shot, my friends bought 308 only to switch to 6.5 later after realizing how easy it is to find and use. For good prices too

Reactions: Drunk Turtle
Thanks for recommending me some rifles that weren't even on my radar. When talking about what round to shoot I take into consideration availability, cost, and general accuracy.
I've heard a lot of good stuff about the 6.5 MC, but there's also the 6mm CM. I'm leaning towards the 308 cuz you can get that round at any store.

Reactions: SuperSneakySniper
I could recomend the bergara HMR it can be had from 900$ to 1100$ and it seems no one is arguing against bergara barrels. And it seems that they have built an improved R700. This gives you a lot of scope mount options as well. Just my 0.02$ for what its worth

Too many good options for under $2k to recommend a straight factory rifle. In addition to the options mentioned, I would say:

Defiance Machine/Badrock
PVA John Hancock
MPA
APO Snipers Hide Edition
Used high end rifle from the PX

All great options and for most you can get pre-chambered barrels when you want to change a barrel.

There is no way you could get me to put down the coin for a Rem factory rifle. I'm sure I missed a few other options as well but there is a lot out there and for your budget you can get a very nice kit.

Reactions: Drunk Turtle
Thanks for recommending me some rifles that weren't even on my radar. When talking about what round to shoot I take into consideration availability, cost, and general accuracy.
I've heard a lot of good stuff about the 6.5 MC, but there's also the 6mm CM. I'm leaning towards the 308 cuz you can get that round at any store.
There is 6.5 creed at any store that doesnt have their head up their ass nowdays. And its almost all match ammo, not the cheap plinking or hunting shit that comprises so much of the available 308 ammo. For the good ammo I would buy 308 and 6.5 creed are essentially the same price.

First, You always want quality match grade ammo. Without quality ammo even an AI will shoot no better than the cheapest bolt guns. So don't waste your money on a high buck gun if you're going to just shoot cheap ammo. It's a waste of your funds.

Second, take a look at what match ammo is actually on the shelves in your area. In my area I can find match grade 6.5creed ammo easier than 308 or 6mm. Doesn't matter if you reload, but based on your answer I'm guessing you don't.

Third, you're already over thinking the little things. Any 1 of the three are great starting points and will not limit you. 6mm is less popular with the general public(they are mostly idiots anyways) and you can get deals if you choose to go that route Ruger Precision $899

Savage 110 Long Range Hunter .280AI.

Decent Factory ammunition.

Dies for same.

Bullets, or Bullets.

Brass.

Use CCI BR-2 Primers, and either H-4350 or H-4831 powder.

You'll like it, especially since it's probably got as much range or more than the .300WM, and a lot less recoil. Accurate, too. I actually think this chambering could make good use of a 28" or 30" barrel.

If you must change the stock, maybe this. Not certain whether the 110 reference is to the new one, the old one, or both; but you could ask Choate. I add the Hawkeye Kydex Adjustable Cheek Riser.

Greg

Last edited:
okay, so I'm gonna get either the Ruger precision or the T3x tac A1 in 6.5 CM. I'm thinking about the Ruger just because I can find it for less and the money saved can be put towards a good scope and good ammo.

Reactions: goosed
For same money the Bergara BMP is more rifle then the RPR. If you are willing to go up to $1,700 then the HMR Pro is a totally different animal than the RPR. Do yourself a favor and at least look into the Bergara line.

not a bad way to go, just make sure you get a reticle you like and that suits not only what you want to do now (think current range limitations) but where you might want to go in the future with that platform. You might want to poke around on the PX for a scope unless you qualify for the LE/MIL discount with some of the manufacturers. In either case, you are likely to end up with more scope for the money than you might have found just purchasing new.

My store caters to the entry and mid level shooter. A lot has to do with your expectations and what you plan on doing. Are you just banging steel or are you hunting? What do you consider long range (I see al lot of guys who thing 400yds is LR). What is your price point?

For a budget rifle that is fine for hunting and getting your feet wet in competitions the Bergara HMR lives up to its name (hunting match rifle). It's light enough to hunt with and quality enough to take to a 1 day match. The best part, as you know, is the price. In a retail store like mine you'll pay around $1000 for the rifle and a good 20moa rail.

In my personal opinion, between $1k and $2k there isn't a lot of offerings to consider. Because at just under $2k you can get the MPA PMR which is a hell of a rifle. Yes there are some $1400 to $1600 rifles out there, but if it were me, if I was going to drop $1500 or $1600 on a rifle, I would save up a few more hundred and get the MPA.

If you were wanting a lightweight rifle for long range hunting, Seekins makes a good rifle that can be had under $2k that has been liked by a lot of people.

For banging steel, I shoot and recommend a 6mm variant. If you notice they tend to won a LOT of matches, and for good reason. If I was banging steel and hunting, the 6.5 variants seem to be the way to go. I would avoid the magnums like others have said unless you plan on ELR shooting...

Just my two cents...

There is 6.5 creed at any store that doesnt have their head up their ass nowdays. And its almost all match ammo, not the cheap plinking or hunting shit that comprises so much of the available 308 ammo. For the good ammo I would buy 308 and 6.5 creed are essentially the same price.

That right there is pretty much what got me to switch to 6.5... the only thing 308 had going for it in my case was cheaper cheap ammo. Cool, I can shoot soft point for $0.60 per, get shit results, and wonder if it's me, the rifle, or crap ammo.

I didn't buy a lot of good .308 before I switched, but right now I'm working through 2 cans of 6.5 American Gunner... not match ammo but definitely not crap, and $0.70 per.

I am going to recommend a 223 rifle. RPR is still available in 223 if you look around. If your shooting is 600 yards or more then a mpa pmr in 6.5 Creedmoor would be a great value.

I did some more research and I think I'm gonna go with the Bergara b14 BMP 6.5CM. I really liked what the mpa pmr had to offer but in my hands, I don't think it would make me any better of a marksman. I've only dealt with pistols, shotguns, and ARs, so I don't see much of a point in buying something really good if I'm not gonna use it to its fullest potential. I'd rather get the bmp for 1200 and put the rest of that money into a good scope.
later on, I want to get a custom rifle... maybe one with an AW body. that would be nice

I did some more research and I think I'm gonna go with the Bergara b14 BMP 6.5CM. I really liked what the mpa pmr had to offer but in my hands, I don't think it would make me any better of a marksman. I've only dealt with pistols, shotguns, and ARs, so I don't see much of a point in buying something really good if I'm not gonna use it to its fullest potential. I'd rather get the bmp for 1200 and put the rest of that money into a good scope.
later on, I want to get a custom rifle... maybe one with an AW body. that would be nice
Bergara seems to be top notch stuff for the money. And if you dont need custom barrels for any reason bergara makes their own that are top notch from what i have heard.

You are making a good choice. I think you will be extremely happy.

Barrett MRAD

Because after you factor in all the money you'll spend on another gun and optic, and then another custom gun in another caliber and another optic, well, I just saved you a ton of money.

You're welcome.

Barrett MRAD

Because after you factor in all the money you'll spend on another gun and optic, and then another custom gun in another caliber and another optic, well, I just saved you a ton of money.

You're welcome.

that gun is 5.8k and upward, I can get a custom around that price. If that Barrett was a multi-caliber then I'd buy it considering I'd want a 6.5 CM for range and practice shooting and a larger caliber like a 338 Lapua or 300 win that has more impact. which actually reminds me. Is this site legit? Their tactical long range is a very enticing buy for me. https://www.tacticalrifles.net/

• Haha
Reactions: Precisiondada
ohno-you-didnt-15002162.png

that gun is 5.8k and upward, I can get a custom around that price. If that Barrett was a multi-caliber then I'd buy it considering I'd want a 6.5 CM for range and practice shooting and a larger caliber like a 338 Lapua or 300 win that has more impact. which actually reminds me. Is this site legit? Their tactical long range is a very enticing buy for me. https://www.tacticalrifles.net/
Jesus god no. Google tacticalrifles.net + scam

The Barrett mrad is multical.

Reactions: Steel head

Go home turtle, you're drunk.

Reactions: Random_Scrub
The RPR is hard to beat as an entry level match rifle. My BF got a gen2 from grabagun for $795. We tried .308 at our first long range match, but quickly switched to the much more forgiving and lower recoil 6mm creedmoor. But barrel life for a .308 is over 8K, while the creedmoor barrels are typically done at under 2k. At $1K per barrel, that adds about 50 cents per round to your cost, if you care to think of it that way. A new RPR barrel chambered in creedmoor can be installed for $415 plus shipping, so that cuts the barrel cost about in half. Just as a rule of thumb, I’d likely recommend the .308 for hunting and casual target shooting inside 800 yards, and a creedmoor for competition plus hunting, but these are very general recommendations. Some top shooters like to challenge themselves shooting .308 at long range, as the margin for error is so much smaller. And most militaries and police forces prefer the .308 due to cost issues discussed above.

I almost bought an RPR before I got my HMR but I had one in my hands and it was just to heavy for me to carry hunting as well. So it really boils down to POU and what you want. I really needed a double duty target and hunting rifle, as I got rid of some other lesser hunting rifles to get my bergara. Though I cant speak from experience about the 6.5cm as I havent got to test it yet. But from the info I have gathered, its a fine round, pending testing and proof for myself that is. Of course for more money you can probably go better but im not exactly on a giant budget. I just do what I can and try to be better than yesterday. Cant wait to see what you get.

Jesus god no. Google tacticalrifles.net + scam

The Barrett mrad is multical.

I've been bamboozled! I had a strong feeling that was a scam but never bothered to look further. Oh well.

But now that I know the mrad is multi-cal I'll do my research on it, I really like the idea of switch between range round to high impact high penetration rounds. I don't mind saving for a bit longer to get the barrett.

I think the main limitation of the RPR is trigger options, as there are only 2 available, and they are both 2 stage triggers. The Timney can have a total pull weight as low as 1 pound, so you have some good options, but if you know for sure that you want a single stage trigger, best to look at something else.

Another thing about the RPR that I don’t like is the low weight if, I think, around 12 pounds. For competition, and lowest possible felt recoil, I wanted a heavier rifle. I wound up with a custom rifle having a heavy contour barrel, but you can’t do that in the OP’s price range. You could almost go with a Tikka, which is a great choice, and can be further upgraded in almost every way. I almost went with Tikka, but the action can’t take a heavy contour barrel, so I spent more on the custom rifle.

I think the main limitation of the RPR is trigger options, as there are only 2 available, and they are both 2 stage triggers. The Timney can have a total pull weight as low as 1 pound, so you have some good options, but if you know for sure that you want a single stage trigger, best to look at something else.

Another thing about the RPR that I don’t like is the low weight if, I think, around 12 pounds. For competition, and lowest possible felt recoil, I wanted a heavier rifle. I wound up with a custom rifle having a heavy contour barrel, but you can’t do that in the OP’s price range. You could almost go with a Tikka, which is a great choice, and can be further upgraded in almost every way. I almost went with Tikka, but the action can’t take a heavy contour barrel, so I spent more on the custom rifle.

I feel you on that one, I like the RPR but the biggest downside is the lack of customization. That's a big turn off for me. But after doing my homework on the barrett mrad I think I've found the right sniper for me. It's multi-cal, has some good customization options, and it has the barrett build quality. sure, it'll cost me a pretty penny, but it'll also save me a shiny quarter later on

• Love
Reactions: pewpewfever
This thread is now making me sad...

TR gets brought up as better than mrad.

@TheGerman is recommending someone to think like a poor man. I get the "save money on a multical vs several rifles and scopes" line of thinking, but coming from the guy known for "be poor somewhere else"?You sir, are ruining the shtick. Quit it!

@Drunk Turtle you might want to do some more research... Other than multical ability the Mrad is even less customizable than the rpr