• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Importance of Illuminated reticle?

PaulStafford

Sergeant
Minuteman
So how often is illumination needed in the typical tactical competition? I haven't seen too many COF descriptions that require it (but then I've not been around terribly long, either). Other than real operators, just how necessary is it, really?

Re: Importance of Illuminated reticle?

If you have fine crosshairs it helps immensely to have illumination, especially if you're running a FFP scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have fine crosshairs it helps immensely to have illumination, especially if you're running a FFP scope. </div></div>

Really? I've literary NEVER used my illumination, except to check it was working. I've shot a bunch of matches, and never had ANY need.

That said, I've never done any night/lowlight matches.

I don't know how often it would be any issue but a buddy of mine has been in need of illuminated crosshairs in a couple situations. He said without them it was pointless for him to even shoot that stage.

it's pretty handy when it's dark enough that your reticle starts to fade into the black and blend in, you can still see through your scope, but you can't pick up the reticle. it's also handy if you a target the same color as the back ground for some contrast

will be handy when your target and/or its background is dark or in dark color. Will be counting on your luck when the reticle blended into the target.

rule of thumb........

if you got the technology .....bring it

if you never shot a match in lowlight conditions, you have not shot enough matches, trust me it could be a gamebreaker NOT having a lit reticule

As said before, it really helps to see the reticle in an ffp scope and in lowlight situations. It really helps with hunting when you in lowlight situations.

Depends on your competitions probably.

I never use mine during daylight, but I shot a competition last fall that had a night stage, and I think it helped immensely.

I can see it being useful at rapid fire multipule shorter range target stages where you crank your FFP down to say 3 or 5 power and that reticle gets pretty small. Bump the illum on a low setting to help it stand out, especially if there is background clutter. Being on the clock and the wider FOV, for faster target aquisition.

The hunting application and lowlight shooting situations its a big plus

Illum is certainly worth it in low light.

There are too many optics available that have illum. I see no reason to buy one without it.

i dont use my illuminated reticle often, but when i do, its to aim at mountain dew cans in my moms basement

I have been shooting scope sighted rifles for 45 years and the old scopes and reticules I would often see game that the reticule would not allow me to shoot. With the better scopes and reticules, I now do not see that. I have illumination on all my scopes and do a good bit of deer culling with and without NV. I very seldom turn on the NV. I still like it for some reason.
"just in case" I guess. Besides that it is cool.