• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing King and Halibut Fishing In Alaska

Shatuponthee

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2011
El Paso,Texas, USA
I am a native of Alaska stuck in Texas if you like to fish and do the go big or go home check out the pics of my last trip. If you have questions of how to do it cheap and have fun I can provide you an insiders trip to avoid the traps. I was entertaining two friends on this trip it was all work except for the 15 minutes it took to land my king.

Picture047.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Picture066.jpg

Re: King and Halibut Fishing In Alaska

Fantastic! My cousin went in 2010 and LOVED it! He was even nice enough to send me about a 12lb fillet from the King and some Halibut "steaks" as well. Talk about amazing taste!!!!! I am now in the process of saving up to go with him on the next trip! Don't know who he went with but unless you have some free advice that's where we will probably go again.

I use to go to Anchor point (Near Homer) for Salmon and Halibut.

Most people with bigger boats put in the Anchor river and went out with the high tide.

I did it a bit different. I used a 14 ft jon boat, and dragged it down to the beach and put in so I could fish with the incoming tide. Normally limited out before the other boats got in the water.

Anchor point is relatively shallow water where Cook Inlet comes around from the Homer area toward Anchorage.

I'd catch salmon while mooching for halibut using smelt and drifting with the tide.

For hunting in Alaska has become a rich man's sport. Fishing is great, doesn't cost much to get into some of the best fishing in the world.

In my 22 years in Alaska I kind of got burned out on salmon and halibut, now I'd rather eat a nice trout caught in a cold mountain streem.

Not meaning to drift too far from the topic, if you're into duck/geese hunting, some of the best you'll find is across the inlet from Anchorage. I flat wore out some good labs hunting geese. Got a tripple on Canadian's one time, confused the heck out of my lag.

I was under the impression that the Pelagic Rockfish and Halibut regs really tightened up? Both in regards to slot sizing and limits.

Last time I was a <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstryder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fantastic! My cousin went in 2010 and LOVED it! He was even nice enough to send me about a 12lb fillet from the King and some Halibut "steaks" as well. Talk about amazing taste!!!!! I am now in the process of saving up to go with him on the next trip! Don't know who he went with but unless you have some free advice that's where we will probably go again.</div></div>

For halibut fishing I recommend Homer Joe and Debbie Herbert of Showtime Charters can fix you up nice. For Kings my family stay at Krogs Kamp they have several levels of accomodations and provide the guide. The guide I always use is Joe Pernisco he loves to fish and loves to Catch even more. Not including airfare and on the ground incidentals all told was $2700 per person for 2 days in homer, 2 days on the Kenai, and a flyout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voracious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was under the impression that the Pelagic Rockfish and Halibut regs really tightened up? Both in regards to slot sizing and limits.</div></div>

The limit on halibut is 2 per day and rockfish is 4 per day per person. 40lb halibut are the best eating. There is no size limit the Homer Halibut Derby winner in 2011 was 400lbs approx and if you bought a derby ticket you would have gotten paid $50k for catching that fish.

Kings are a different story the Kenai River is very heavily regulated. There are two runs of Kings on that river. The first run is no bait and there is a slot limit if memory serves me correctly 46-54 inches you have to turn them back on anything caught before July 1.

From July 1 on you can use bait either on a quick fish (thats what i used ot catch mine) or a spinglo and eggs. The river is generally real hot for kings the 2nd adn 3rd week of July. If you can manage the 3rd week the Sockeye Salmon run starts. 2011 had a record of something like 500k sockeye get up the river, I do not know the exact number but it was alot.

It is a real challenge fishing on the Kenai the regs restrict you to using a single hook and the average time on the river is 28 hours to catch a King.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use to go to Anchor point (Near Homer) for Salmon and Halibut.

Most people with bigger boats put in the Anchor river and went out with the high tide.

I did it a bit different. I used a 14 ft jon boat, and dragged it down to the beach and put in so I could fish with the incoming tide. Normally limited out before the other boats got in the water.

Anchor point is relatively shallow water where Cook Inlet comes around from the Homer area toward Anchorage.

I'd catch salmon while mooching for halibut using smelt and drifting with the tide.

For hunting in Alaska has become a rich man's sport. Fishing is great, doesn't cost much to get into some of the best fishing in the world.

In my 22 years in Alaska I kind of got burned out on salmon and halibut, now I'd rather eat a nice trout caught in a cold mountain streem.

Not meaning to drift too far from the topic, if you're into duck/geese hunting, some of the best you'll find is across the inlet from Anchorage. I flat wore out some good labs hunting geese. Got a tripple on Canadian's one time, confused the heck out of my lag.

</div></div>

I have hunted across the inlet it was in the 80's alot different now. If you want a cheap Cow Elk Hunt $800ish can get you one in New Mexico. I have a friend with a ranch there real prime spot about 40 sections. And if you are not a member SCI local banquets and off the beaten path banquets offer up some real gems of hunts cheap. If you find your self in El Paso in January come to ours in is held at our convention center and some stuff goes stupid cheap. PM me on hunts and I will set you up with my contacts.

Anchorage to El Paso is relatively cheap on USAirways and an easy flight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voracious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are a poor guesser.</div></div>

Yes but fully disclosed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shatuponthee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voracious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was under the impression that the Pelagic Rockfish and Halibut regs really tightened up? Both in regards to slot sizing and limits.</div></div>

The limit on halibut is 2 per day and rockfish is 4 per day per person. 40lb halibut are the best eating. There is no size limit the Homer Halibut Derby winner in 2011 was 400lbs approx and if you bought a derby ticket you would have gotten paid $50k for catching that fish.

Kings are a different story the Kenai River is very heavily regulated. There are two runs of Kings on that river. The first run is no bait and there is a slot limit if memory serves me correctly 46-54 inches you have to turn them back on anything caught before July 1.

From July 1 on you can use bait either on a quick fish (thats what i used ot catch mine) or a spinglo and eggs. The river is generally real hot for kings the 2nd adn 3rd week of July. If you can manage the 3rd week the Sockeye Salmon run starts. 2011 had a record of something like 500k sockeye get up the river, I do not know the exact number but it was alot.

It is a real challenge fishing on the Kenai the regs restrict you to using a single hook and the average time on the river is 28 hours to catch a King.
</div></div>

Loved the 40lb halibut ruse,that was hilarious! Why do I smell a "guide" on the sly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voracious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shatuponthee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voracious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was under the impression that the Pelagic Rockfish and Halibut regs really tightened up? Both in regards to slot sizing and limits.</div></div>

</div></div>

Loved the 40lb halibut ruse,that was hilarious! Why do I smell a "guide" on the sly?</div></div>

Believe it or not not a ruse, 40 to 80 lbs taste the best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voracious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shatuponthee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voracious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was under the impression that the Pelagic Rockfish and Halibut regs really tightened up? Both in regards to slot sizing and limits.</div></div>

</div></div>

Loved the 40lb halibut ruse,that was hilarious! Why do I smell a "guide" on the sly? </div></div>

He's right, the little ones are the best. Them old heavy bastards have a rough and grainy texture. A fillet off a 40 lb fish cooked to medium is the best, bar none.
smile.gif

Why not just skip straight to the ban? Its only a matter of time before it happens.

Has nothing to do with stock numbers and is only all about money. Typical power play between the Commercial and Charter guys,with the small pony Charter fleet being badly outgunned in all areas. All that free IFQ is now rather a commodity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Voracious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has nothing to do with stock numbers and is only all about money. Typical power play between the Commercial and Charter guys,with the small pony Charter fleet being badly outgunned in all areas. All that free IFQ is now rather a commodity.

</div></div>

Its worse than that the guy that controls the openers for commerical fishing in cook inlet is a commerical fisherman. There are roughly 200 miles of set nets in the inlet, that kill the King run on the Kenai.

I'd take limits of 40lb Halibut any day. They are absolutely the best eating versus yeild. I can't eat Halibut over 100lbs, too dry and course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd take limits of 40lb Halibut any day. They are absolutely the best eating versus yeild. I can't eat Halibut over 100lbs, too dry and course. </div></div>

Goddamn I love this shit!