• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

make your own Chrony?

PaulStafford

Sergeant
Minuteman
After reading Brian Litz' Applied Ballistics book, I was intrigued by his method for measuring G7 BCs by using downrange mics at 200 yd intervals, and a sound waveform analyzer. Laptops are common, mics are cheap, and there seems to be many freeware sound waveform packages out there (eg Sonic Visualizer). It seems like all one would have likely have to buy is two mics (and a way to mix their output if your card can't record in stereo. All the bits are battery-powered, so no worries on that note.

I did a brief error analysis. The two sources of error are the mic separation and resolving waveform leading edges.

Assume mics at 10' and 40' (10 yds spacing), sound card set to sample at the highest rate you normally can record digital sound files at - 96 khz. We'll use a notional muzzle velocity of 3,000 fps. Assume you can measure the mic separation to within 1" (0.28%). Hard mounting them could improve on that uncertainty.

The time of flight is .010 seconds or 10 msec. time measurement accuracy is .021 msec (0.21%, Nyquist sampling)

combined RSS error is .35% or 10 fps, which seems quite useable.

Obviously you're measuring velocity averaged 10 yds away from the muzzle, where the bullet has already lost about 10 fps. You could always add that back in as from JBM that seems to be representative.

I haven't tried this yet, but it's tempting to whip something up and compare side by side. It would be cheap and light-insensitive. Just not quite as easy to use- you'll get a readout in msec and need to convert to MV by dividing the mic spacing by that.

just edited to show freeware which will allow measuring time between shots in a sound waveform
This is a screenshot from SoundCard Oscilloscope. It's freeware by C Zeitnitz. easy to install an use
5700587294_3386b32f00_m.jpg

Re: make your own Chrony?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulStafford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">comments? </div></div>

Uh.. yeah... This is what happens when engineers who used to work for NASA are allowed to roam freely among us with to much time on their hands...
wink.gif

Me? I bought on of those clunky chrono thingys.

Now that I've gotten *that* from my system. Do you think it would have better resolution than the cheapy chronos we buy? I haven't read Bryan's book. Is there a lot of inherent inaccuracy in our current methods?

John

No
smile.gif

- I am sure this method has at least 2X the potential error chronys advertise (5 fps). Their error is limited by clock rates which can be pretty high (MHZ range). This method is limited by the sound card sampling rate of almost .1MHZ

I'm just looking for something cheap, and maybe a project
smile.gif

anyway, I hate buying something I will only use very rarely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Uh.. yeah... This is what happens when engineers who used to work for NASA are allowed to roam freely among us with to much time on their hands...
wink.gif

</div></div>
all i have to say is Byran is one of the smartest guys i know ... his book is full of great info, the chief ballistician for Berger by the age of what, 28ish, i can only imagine, and a great shot ta boot... regarding making your own chrony with a mic... i would purchase a chrono (just me), might come in handy some day, even if you don't use it that much, especially if you reload!!! BUT if you have time on your hands and need an xtra proj. let us know how accurate your results come out.

Me not smart enough to figure out how to put all the parts together.

Well

1. if you get it to work, do a write up for us

2. what we really want is long axis chrony that does not have the sensitivity to light but is simple and portable. fiddling with mic positioning at 40' is scientific but not very convenient. Two sensors on the end of a long telescopic pole or something is of more use