• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Makeshift shooting rest.

Clamber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Utah, USA
Hey guys, I recently got my first rifle, and I'm going to zero it in in a few days. I wasnt able to get a bipod when I ordered everything, so I need to make a makeshift shooting rest until I can get a bipod.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: Makeshift shooting rest.

1) Sandbags (or other bags filled with tumbling media, poly-pellets, etc.)...
2) Friends with shooting gear (bipods/bags/rests) you can borrow...
3) Tripod rigged with an improvised shooting rest/cradle...

1) old socks filled w/ rice work in a pinch.
2) hunting/other backpack for your front rest.

Sandbags and socks with rice are probably the better improvised along with home made tripods.

try youre pack instead of the bipod
and for a rear bag get a sock and go to a craft store
buy the plastic beads I would get 2 kinds and make 2 different bags. should not cost over 10 bucks..

Thanks guys. How tall would the front rest need to be? Bipods are 6-9" so I'm assuming somewhere in that area?

I'll try stuffing a small duffel bag with something.

Grab a Crown Royal bag or folding chair carry sleeve that most of those cheap chairs come with when bought. Pack with your favorite media and tie off.

Get some empty shotgun shot bags and a bag of clean sand from Lowe's or Home Depot and make some good sand bags.
If you can't find any shot bags just cut the leg out of an old pair of jeans or BDU's and use about a 14" section.
I made a bunch several years ago from shot bags. I put the sand in plastic bags first, and then sealed the shot bags up with big nylon strap ties. They haven't leaked a single grain of sand and they're as good as the day I made them.

If you're going to shoot rifles you will always need good sand bags.