• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing my home shop .284 win build (pic heavy)

Re: my home shop .284 win build (pic heavy)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure if you've heard this yet or not, but GREAT rifle and GREAT thread </div></div>

thanks.

keep your thread updated on your schooling and rifle build. i'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

thanks guys. the rifle is just about at 1k rounds and is still shooting great. unfortunately my shooting has gone all to hell this year
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grandslam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> To much Top Ramen........
grin.gif
</div></div>

so that's what is causing my shooting to go all to hell
laugh.gif

Is that the rubicon trail over by Loon Lake, it looks so familiar. man oh man, that brings back memories. I used to be the guy riding a mountain bike into the technical riding watching you crazy jeep guys, and you jeep guy were watch us crazy technical riders jumping off and climbing those rocks !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eagle1899</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work. How about some pics of the truggy? </div></div>

i guess i can blame you for this?
laugh.gif

brokendriveshaft003.jpg

i just went out back on my rock pile to do something "cool" for the camera. that isn't quite what i had in mind. good thing the rifle project is almost done. now i need to make a new drive shaft.

here are some older pictures though.

winchhill1c.jpg

winchhill1f.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that the rubicon trail over by Loon Lake, it looks so familiar. man oh man, that brings back memories. I used to be the guy riding a mountain bike into the technical riding watching you crazy jeep guys, and you jeep guy were watch us crazy technical riders jumping off and climbing those rocks !

</div></div>

those pictures were on the fordyce trail. the fordyce trail and the rubicon have very similar scenery.

Wow that is just awesome. I cant wait until I get out of my apartment and can set up some space for toys and learn how to use them like you do!

Thanks for this fine thread!

I got a lathe and want to make a hunter for my boys in 6.5x47L. For myself i want to take a 7mm rem mag action and make a 6.5x284. thanks for posting your work.

i found this thread very imformative.thanks for taking your time to give everyone an insight on what it takes to build a good rifle.

Nice work on the gun.
Just read the whole post while lubing and sizing.
I started doing 4th axis about seven years ago, and it can be a scary kind of fun!
The more you do it, the easier it is.
If you have any questions on the cnc end, feel free to pm or mail.

Can't wait to see next project!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work on the gun.
Just read the whole post while lubing and sizing.
I started doing 4th axis about seven years ago, and it can be a scary kind of fun!
The more you do it, the easier it is.
If you have any questions on the cnc end, feel free to pm or mail.

Can't wait to see next project! </div></div>

my next rifle will be coming up in the next few months. i am going to start ordering parts next week. my plan so far is an 18-1/2" barrel .308 on an aics 2.0. i am not sure yet what action i am going to use. i am leaning toward a stiller tac30 but may true up a 700 if i come up with a donor action super cheap. i am going to get a nightforce 5.5-22 and put that on the .284 and move the leupold to the new rifle since it is going to be more or a short to medium range rig. the leupold is more compact and lighter and will fit the theme of the new build better also.

i've cut a few more chambers recently and am getting more confident with my work. i learn something with each one i do. hopefully the new .308 will shoot as good as the others do. i am going to use a reamer that has been proven on two other rifles so i think it should shoot just fine.

the fourth axis is fun and a bit nerve racking at times. i am sure i have dropped quite a few "f" bombs when working with it. hell, every time i do any trial run on the cnc, there are a few "f"bombs dropped
grin.gif
. thanks for the offer on the cnc advice. i may take you up on that some time.

Excellent article ..now I have more insight as to why things take so long to get from a custom builder..Thanks

i removed my old leupold 4.4-14 and put on a 5.5-22 nsx. with the finer crosshair and more magnification my 100 yard groups sure tightened up. i was zeroing the scope, not shooting for groups so don't cry about them only being 3 rounders. the top of the center diamond was my aiming point for the first three rounds, which included a clean, cold bore shot. i made an adjustment to the scope and shot three more rounds with the bottom of the center diamond as my aiming point. i guess it still shoots great after 1200 rounds.

2843roundgroups1.jpg

2843roundgroups2.jpg

2843roundgroups3.jpg

and an updated picture with the nsx.

nightforcescope1.jpg

Very, very nice. Makes me wish I would have learned to use a lathe instead of a sewing machine.

Please document that .308 your bulding, and please include pics this time of chambering the barrel
wink.gif

Also, please explain how you measure how deep to cut the chamber, I always figued you got it close, then finished by hand while trying no/no-go guages....this was a complete mystery to me until I read this thread, thanks for shining some light for the green horns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very, very nice. Makes me wish I would have learned to use a lathe instead of a sewing machine.

Please document that .308 your bulding, and please include pics this time of chambering the barrel
wink.gif

Also, please explain how you measure how deep to cut the chamber, I always figued you got it close, then finished by hand while trying no/no-go guages....this was a complete mystery to me until I read this thread, thanks for shining some light for the green horns. </div></div>

i keep wanting to get a sewing machine but i am afraid people would get the wrong idea if i had a sewing machine <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> drive a miata
laugh.gif
. i need long action aics mag pouches but no one makes them.

i will try to document the 308 build. i am thinking about going with a different reamer holder as i have mixed feelings about the bald eagle holder. it seems to work good and all the chambers i have used it on so far have worked out great. i just don't like the idea of holding it by hand. i feel there is too much of a chance for me influencing the reamer when i am holding it. i am leaning toward the jgs holder.

as far as figuring out how deep to ream the chamber, there is a headspace mark on the reamer that i get close to the end of the barrel. i then put the headspace gauge in the chamber, slide the recoil lug on and then screw on the receiver with the stripped bolt in. i measure the gap from the face of the receiver to the recoil lug with a feeler gauge. the amount of feeler gauge is the amount that still needs to be reamed. i have a dial indicator on my tailstock to measure the travel. i set the headspace so when the receiver is hand tight the bolt handle falls on a go gauge but not on a go gauge with a piece of scotch tape on the head. this makes less than .002" over the go gauge when the barrel is tightened.

here is a bracket i made for measuring the tailstock travel.

tailstockindicatorblock2.jpg

tailstockindicatorblock3.jpg

tailstockindicatorblock1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very, very nice. Makes me wish I would have learned to use a lathe instead of a sewing machine.</div></div>

i keep wanting to get a sewing machine but i am afraid people would get the wrong idea if i had a sewing machine </div></div>

Come on girls, next you'll be swapping recipes

Nick, see what living up north will do to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Nick, see what living up north will do to you. </div></div>

but i've got this fabulous zucchini bread recipe
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but i've got this fabulous zucchini bread recipe
grin.gif
</div></div>

Make it Ribeye and you've got my attention. At least you like guns
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Make it Ribeye and you've got my attention. At least you like guns
wink.gif
</div></div>

i'm all about the ribeye. i probably grill more ribeye than anything else. don't really need a recipe for ribeye though. i don't think you guys do tri-tip out that way but how's this for a recipe
laugh.gif
?

<span style="font-weight: bold">my home shop tri-tip sammich build</span>

step 1: cook up some tri-tip on the trusty old webber.

tri-tip1.jpg

step 2: slice tri-tip.

tritip1.jpg

step 3: grab a slice of white bread and pile about a pound or two of tri-tip on top. don't worry, that fat ain't gunna hurt you.

tritipsammich1.jpg

step 4: toss another slice of white bread on top and devour. make sure to have a newcastle to wash it down.

tritipsammich2.jpg

Absolutely the most intereasting thread posted up here in a long long time. Excellent work. Thanks for sharing this with us all.

300 you want to adopt a middle age guy with a 12 year old German Shepard? I am house broken and can fix that rock crawler with my eyes closed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very, very nice. Makes me wish I would have learned to use a lathe instead of a sewing machine.

wink.gif

Also, please explain how you measure how deep to cut the chamber, I always figued you got it close, then finished by hand while trying no/no-go guages....this was a complete mystery to me until I read this thread, thanks for shining some light for the green horns. </div></div>

i keep wanting to get a sewing machine but i am afraid people would get the wrong idea if i had a sewing machine <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> drive a miata
laugh.gif
. i need long action aics mag pouches but no one makes them.
</div></div>

Tell me what you want made, and I will get something together for you, if you want to swap out a little gear making work for chambering work, I am all ears too!

Nick, see what living up north will do to you.</div></div>

Roscoe, I want my Madonna C.D.'s back.

Please back on subject, I would prefer not soil a thread with so much usefull information in it with meaningless drivel.

Damn I look away for a day and there's ribeyes galore. Now your talking 300.

I'm almost through with them Nick, just need to burn one more copy.

As far as the chambers go, there’s a scribed line on the rear of the reamer that acts as a ream to line or stopping point. Part of the setup is being able to move the tail stock in and out and have it return to the same place each time. I use the carriage as my stop and it doesn’t move until I'm finished chambering. Just before the line on the reamer hits the rear of the breech while reaming you stop. Take note of the number you stopped on that is on the tail stock hand wheel. After cleaning the chips out and pulling the tail stock back install the recoil lug, insert the go gauge and screw the receiver on with the bolt installed and closed. When the bolt face hits the go gauge it'll stop, you just want a felt resistance on the go when closing the bolt at this point. With a feeler gauge measure the gap between the recoil lug and receiver face, this is the amount you have left to cut and can take that out by watching the numbers on your tail stock hand wheel. I usually take out the last .001" to .005" out by hand use a depth mic and small fitting I made that fits around the tennon to measure this amount.

Now, where did I put that Lyle Lubbock CD

thanks for bringing up locking down the carriage and using it as a repeatable stop for the tailstock. i didn't trust the numbers on my tailstock handwheel and that is why i use a dial indicator to measure travel. i can easily finish the chamber headspace to better than .001" with the lathe running.

i also for the first time cut a chamber today without drilling and boring the majority of it out. i think it was actually easier and don't think it took any longer than the method i had been using.

I've never pre-drilled, taper bored and finished reamed. I use a finish reamer from start to finish cutting .100” at a time, pulling out / cleaning / apply cutting oil then going again. I reduce to .060” when I have about the neck and shoulder left and then .030” or under for the very last cut. I do a final polish in the chamber with 320 grit paper, specially cut dowel rod and WD-40.

Using the carriage as a positive stop will allow you to cut the chamber to zero. I just take the last few out by hand, it's easier and you can "Feel" the cut better.

First time on this thread and it's awesome, a pure joy to read. Thanks for taking the time to document and share!

Kind of do it a little of both ways. I don't trust the lathe either, probably just me, but why change now.

I use a dial indicator during the last stages of the cut.

I use the finish reamer from start to finish.

I don't polish after final cut. With just few thou left to go I will increase the lathe speed and use thread taping fluid to finish the final cut. With the carbide reamers this higher speed gives a very smooth and polished looking cut to the chamber, never really need a final polish after this.

Very rarely will I need to finish by hand. With the dial indicator I can control the final depth and headspace perfectly 99% of the time.

i may only use a reamer once so buying carbide is hard to justify.

out of curiosity, what rpm do you run the carbide at for the majority of the chamber and the finish? how do you hold the reamer? do you feel you get more chambers before the reamer needs to be re-ground with the carbide vs. hss?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
HasgunWilltravel said:
tailstockindicatorblock2.jpg

tailstockindicatorblock3.jpg

tailstockindicatorblock1.jpg
</div></div>

That's a nice jig you came up with there. One of those things that seems so obvious once you see it for the first time.

I use 320 to get a slight cross hatch finish in the chamber. Too slick or polished and you'll get what appears to be high pressure signs. The brass has to grab the chambner walls for a split second or you have problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i may only use a reamer once so buying carbide is hard to justify.

out of curiosity, what rpm do you run the carbide at for the majority of the chamber and the finish? how do you hold the reamer? do you feel you get more chambers before the reamer needs to be re-ground with the carbide vs. hss? </div></div>

With carbide reamer you can run a higher speed but you still need to be careful not to build up heat in the edge of the reamer or it will go dull, HSS should be much slower, same thing applies for the heat thing. If you had a flush system you could run as high as 300 or higher and never stop until done, seen it, done it and it can be fast. My new lathe will be set up with a flush system.

For controlling heat, and doing the step reaming method I cut at 170 for the majority of the chamber, stopping to let it cool if heat starts to build in the chamber area. For the last little bit I will bump the lathe speed to 240 and finish it off. My lathe is old and I'm limited in the selection for speeds.

I have used both HSS reamers and carbide, I could never tell the difference in chamber quality but some say they can. With the HSS you should be running the reamer at a lower speed then carbide. I have stuck with the carbide for the simple reason they seem to last longer between conditioning.

I use a floating reamer holder from Clymer I got over 10 years ago. I have used the "pusher" holders but I don't like having both my hand occupied with this type or reamer holder. The chamber jobs were great but I just wasn't comfortable with it so I stuck with the floating reamer holder. If both are used correctly you won't be able to tell any difference in the chamber job.

thanks for the info. a while back i talked to a builder that uses a flush system, a roughing reamer and a carbide finish reamer pushed in a cnc lathe. he said the high pressure flush setup is great and there is no worry about rolling a chip over a flute on the reamer.

even before talking to him i was planning on a flush system but he confirmed my want for one. i also want to get a different reamer holder. i really don't like the idea of being able to influence the reamer when keeping it from turning by hand.

.284 win, is it similar to 7mm rem. mag? I will have to look it up.. man great job!! This is the best thread I have come across and I can see the advantage of a custom built rifle and how the fit and better tolerances equate to accuracy!!

the .284 winchester shoots the same bullet selection as a 7mm remington. that is about the extent of the similarities.

i just finished up another .284 barrel for a friend. i have to wait until he puts it together to find out how it shoots. i am real happy with how the barrel work turned out and i am sure it is going to be a shooter.

284barrel4.jpg

284barrel2.jpg

muzzlecrown1.jpg

284barrel5.jpg

my 18.5" barrel .308 build is going to start shortly. my tac30 action is sitting at my ffl and i pick it up on saturday. i have the barrel and aics 2.0 already and my surefire muzzle brake is in transit now. i'll post a new thread when i get started on it.

edit: is that bottom picture all scalloped/distorted to everyone or is it just my computer?

very nice looking barrel there. I keep following this thread and catching up on it. I REALLY like that tail stock setup you have there. I'm going to make one.

The pictures look fine from my computer.

Was trying to describe to a guy from Sniper Central how I'd seen the process of squaring the action and chasing threads to assure they're concentric and perpendicular to the bolt raceway. (apparently his gunsmith uses a threaded mandrel?) Was having a hard time with words and then remembered your .284 build w/pics. Directed him to this page. Made a great show n' tell. Kudos.

(Roscoe, you'll know the guy)

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roscoe, you'll know the guy
John </div></div>

Does he have a .280 AI that's looking off to one side?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was trying to describe to a guy from Sniper Central how I'd seen the process of squaring the action and chasing threads to assure they're concentric and perpendicular to the bolt raceway. (apparently his gunsmith uses a threaded mandrel?) Was having a hard time with words and then remembered your .284 build w/pics. Directed him to this page. Made a great show n' tell. Kudos.

(Roscoe, you'll know the guy)

John </div></div>

i am not registered on that site but i just searched for the thread over there. if it is the one i saw, someone that is registered over there needs to tell him to request ALL of his money back not just shipping. he is getting screwed big time on that deal and is taking it far too well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roscoe, you'll know the guy
John </div></div>

Does he have a .280 AI that's looking off to one side? </div></div>

wink.gif

John

well since this thread is back to the top, here is a barrel i did for a friend the other day. i just sprayed the flat black moly resin today. it was fresh out of the oven and still hot to the touch during these pictures. it is a 7wsm short action and he is going to screw it on a stiller tac30 and in a a5 stock. i am going to make a brake for it but have not had a chance to finish it yet. he is getting anxious to have a rifle so i turned the profile and threaded it for the brake and made a thread protector for it. i'll worry about installing the brake and boring the exit hole at a later date. i promised i'd have the metal work done for his rifle before i started my 308.

the thread protector was finished separate from the barrel and both the barrel and protector have a small edge break on them. i made no attempt at making the seam invisible.

7wsmbarrel1.jpg

7wsmbarrel2.jpg

7wsmbarrel5.jpg