• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My new .308 build

MarcS

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2004
Caldwell, ID
www.spartanrifles.com
This is my newest build.

Surgeon RSR action
Surgeon 20 MOA base
Krieger 1/10 barrel at 24" (it's what they had at Bruno's at the time)
MacMillan A3 stock with marble swirl in 50% olive, 25% tan, 25% black
Jewell trigger set to about 2 lbs.
Rage Machine prototype DBM
KMW Loggerhead cheekpiece
All Cerakote work done by Phantom Finishing

I just finished up the bedding last week on Thursday. Then on Friday afternoon I took it out to a local range for a 100 yard zero and just guesstimated the velocity based on the powder charge. On Saturday I shot it in our Nor Cal club steel match with computer dope on my iPhone. That was fine out to 550 yards. For now I took the Premier 5-25X56 off of my .243 to get this up and running in time for the match. I love this scope but it's a little big and bulky for what I wanted out of this particular build so it will have a smaller S&B 4-16X42 on it soon. I may cut the barrel down to 22" as well. I just shot some left over ammo I had from the F-Class nationals out here in March which was loaded with 155 Scenars. It shoots ok with that ammo, like just over half MOA. I shot just a few groups with 175 SMK's and they were really tight which is good because that's what I want to use in this rifle anyway.

new308jpg.jpg

new3084jpg.jpg

new3083jpg.jpg

new3082jpg.jpg

Re: My new .308 build

Ehh....it's okay

LOL...actually it looks great! This gonna be your new 1k match rifle?

Mac

nice stick. ehhh 1/2 MOA, you might want to send it me to work up some loads for you. I promise you will get it back ....... soon

Honestly I don't remember what the barrel contour is. Bruno's had it sitting on a shelf and it was close enough so I took it.

Mac where in the hell have you been dude? No this is not a 1K match gun. What I wanted out of this build was a more field manageable .308 with a short to mid length barrel that doesn't feel like a boat paddle. That A3 stock is the ticket and I think that barrel will be cut down to 22" before I'm finished. That matched up with the smaller S&B I have will be a sweet little package and should be fine out to 700-ish yards. I have other rifles for longer ranges when I want to do that. It's really nice when you can build your own
smile.gif

Marc

Tailor made for the .308 only match at ASC! Going to make it back to the mountain this Fall?

Gunguru- Sharp eye! That thing actually broke at the Hide Cup this year. I flipped it open and the cap flew 6 feet out in front of me. I doubt I'll bother getting the new one repainted
smile.gif

19Scout- I'd like to make EVERY ASC match but it's hard for me to plan anything right now. I'm putting all of my time and money into my new rifle building business these days. I don't have any vacations planned in my foreseeable future. The good news is I'm almost there. I will have my FFL in hand any day now.

Marc

Really good looking stick.. I like the camo pattern, it's really nice..