• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need opinions from a gunsmiths point of view on threading a Button Rifle Barrel!!! Help

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
Im about to purchase a barrel for my first official full custom build and i was going to go with a Bartlein Barrel. Because i cant find any in stock i was going to go with a Krieger or Benchmark Barrel. Now the gentleman carrying Benchmark barrels is offering me a great deal, and is a super great guy to deal with and a gunsmith told me that;

"button rifled barrels are subject to residual stress and that when threading for a muzzle brake its best to minimize the amount of material removed and its better to go with a 3/4-28 vs 5/8-24 thread pattern. That by machining the exterior the bore of the barrel may enlarge. Which in turn can cause a very slight bell mouth when installing a brake hurting accuracy"

Anyone heard of this before?

It doesn't really matter to me if it's cut or buttoned I put the largest thread on I can, not only to keep from the possibility of the bore moving but why do more cutting than you need to!!

I had a Broughton button rifled barrel on a .308 that was threaded 5/8x24. Threading it certainly didn't hurt accuracy on it.