• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need some quick help

09cs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Commiefornia
I'm using a lee collet neck sizing die for some twice fired 308 brass I have from my 700. The brass chambers in the rifle, but the bolt seems a little hard to close. Is that normal because the brass is fired formed to that chamber? or should I go to FL die???? So far only did one piece of brass and stopped before I get an answer

F/L size every time. Been doing it for years now and I won't go back to neck sizing alone. You are the 2nd post today involving issues with neck sizing alone. The bench rest community abandoned neck sizing a while back for a good reason. It leads to chambering problems, and does not afford any real advantages over f/l sizing.

Thanks for the info! I read in my manual to neck size fired brass from the same rifle. Still learning here

Thanks for the info! I read in my manual to neck size fired brass from the same rifle. Still learning here

Neck sizing is an old school legend, and reports of improved accuracy are theoretical and anecdotal, as is the claim of improved brass life. In contrast, f/l sizing with nominal shoulder setback provides for improved concentricity, less work hardening in the long run, and better accuracy. Guys have experimented and found those claims to be true. I have seen the results in accuracy myself. My f/l sized cases shot as good or better than neck sized rounds, never worse. And never ran into chambering issues with f/l sized cases either, which you will certainly run into if you neck size alone.