• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New .308 Build Advice

cpmiller22

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2013
I'm working on building an entry level, CA compliant .308 rifle. I have a DPMS pattern lower ordered, but am looking for some advice on the rest of the components. Since this is my first rifle I'd like to keep it as affordable as possible, and they upgrade as I go.

• Upper: I really like the look of the Mega becuase it has sharper edges, but not sure I'm ready to pay the extra over the standard DPMS upper.
  • Barrel: Right now I'm thinking about a Rainier Arms 20" stainless barrel. I'm thinking the 20" will be nice for longer shots, and I like how the stainless looks
  • Handguard/Rail: I like the more square rail look, so I was thinking about a Troy BattleRail (MRF-308). I also like the look of the Daniel Defense rail.
  • Sights: I don't want to spend the $$ on a scope just now (I'm sure I'll get one soon), but any suggestions on simple inexpensive sights would be great.

Let me know your thoughts/opinions.

I just posted this in another thread. Mega does not fit any other receiver than mega (sorta fits knights). Second this is not an AR-15, parts are expensive even on the lower end and you should just save up to get the right stuff the first time. Any iron sights that are setup for same plane will work

I would get one of their ultra match or super select barrels in 18inch with a rifle gas system, if you are looking for off the shelf. I was not too happy with the quality of DPMS style carrier (just returned one to them because of poor machining) So i would go with an Armalite BGC, a buffer/ spring from heavy buffers , regular mil spec buffer extension, Geissele SSA-E trigger and a sws handguard.

I just finished a mega maten build. I used DPMS bcg and it was fine and DPMS seems to have more options and interchangeability of parts. Mega also makes barrels and So far I have been happy with mine and they are in the similar price range to rainier.

DD makes good rails, but there are lots of options that are also good quality for less money.

For receivers I would try to get a set together so you know you have a good fit.

Last edited:
I just posted this in another thread. Mega does not fit any other receiver than mega (sorta fits knights). Second this is not an AR-15, parts are expensive even on the lower end and you should just save up to get the right stuff the first time. Any iron sights that are setup for same plane will work

I would get one of their ultra match or super select barrels in 18inch with a rifle gas system, if you are looking for off the shelf. I was not too happy with the quality of DPMS style carrier (just returned one to them because of poor machining) So i would go with an Armalite BGC, a buffer/ spring from heavy buffers , regular mil spec buffer extension, Geissele SSA-E trigger and a sws handguard.

Thanks for the tips. Any reason for suggesting the 18" barrel vs the 20"?

you dont get much more performance out of a 20" vs 18". the 18" will be a little bit lighter - these guns get heavy. depending on how far you plan to shoot, an 18" will be plenty. Rainier has their ultramatch barrels in stock, you should jump on one soon.

+ 1 on things getting heavy fast, I would stay with the Select barrel if you are trying to keep cost down. Plus its 5R barrel. There are only a couple companies that produce that , type of rifling . It's also used by Remmington, Knights, Kreiger, LMT for their barrels . The blanks are made by Shilen .

Rainier Arms™ | Browse | 7.62MM / .308 WIN | Rainier Arms Select™ .308 Barrel - 18 SS

you dont get much more performance out of a 20" vs 18". the 18" will be a little bit lighter - these guns get heavy. depending on how far you plan to shoot, an 18" will be plenty. Rainier has their ultramatch barrels in stock, you should jump on one soon.

what do you want the long rail for ? It won't be too long. It adds weight and you can't really mount optics to it. Also Troy rails are heavy.

what do you want the long rail for ? It won't be too long. It adds weight and you can't really mount optics to it. Also Troy rails are heavy.

Well I was originally thinking a 20" barrel would be nice for longer range shooting, and I thought the 13.8 would work well with the longer barrel. I like the look of the quad rail vs. the traditional cylindrical look. So if I go with an 18" barrel perhaps a 13.8 rail will be too long?

Why can't you mount optics to a rail? I'm pretty sure I've some pictures with that setup that looked pretty functional.

I should have said you shouldn't mount optics (scopes) to the free fload rails, they can flex a bit or a host of there issues, when you mount on the receiver, you get closest to center bore and a very solid mounting point. Guns with Monolithic uppers are fine because the receiver is all once piece. With optics you have to have a certain eye relief distance so mounting them far away is also a no go.
A 12.9 inch rail from sws is 15.8 oz and 9 inch JP is like 13 oz... The longer rail in most cases is just a cosmetic thing, most people don't mount NV or laser designators / ir illumination on their guns. I can see a 14in would be good with 20-22 inch barrel so you can mount the bipod further up and balance the rifle. So adding weight just for looks is a waste in my opinion.

+ 1 on things getting heavy fast, I would stay with the Select barrel if you are trying to keep cost down. Plus its 5R barrel. There are only a couple companies that produce that , type of rifling . It's also used by Remmington, Knights, Kreiger, LMT for their barrels . The blanks are made by Shilen .

Rainier Arms™ | Browse | 7.62MM / .308 WIN | Rainier Arms Select™ .308 Barrel - 18 SS

Actually the Rainier Select barrels are not Shilen made, but BHW. The rifling is 5 groove polygonal, which is also a BHW trait. FWIW, I tried 2 of the Select barrels on my 308 build, the first was wildly inaccurate, the second better but not good enough. The third barrel is the Ultramatch (made by Shilen) and is much better. I have other BHW barrels that are good barrels, but those 2 were not.

You are 100% right, I mixed up the Ultramatch and Selects. Sorry to the OP for the incorrect info.

Actually the Rainier Select barrels are not Shilen made, but BHW. The rifling is 5 groove polygonal, which is also a BHW trait. FWIW, I tried 2 of the Select barrels on my 308 build, the first was wildly inaccurate, the second better but not good enough. The third barrel is the Ultramatch (made by Shilen) and is much better. I have other BHW barrels that are good barrels, but those 2 were not.

So I've decided to go with the dpms lightweight upper (mainly because I like the look better). I'm still trying to decide between the 18" and 20" barrel. As far as the hand guard/rail I'm a little stuck. I did some looking, and I think I like the look of this:
http://nemoarms.com/portfolio/tione-serial-no-1titanium-308-battle-rifle/gallery/guns/

I like the overall look of the setup, except I would like it to be all black with a polished stainless barrel.

Thoughts?