• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Newbie 30 cal suppressor help. Leaning towards Dead Air Sandman series

nikdanja

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2014
Warrenton Virginia
Been looking hard at the Dead Air line of cans and impressed with the specs, reviews and customer service. These are the reasons why I want a can:

1. FUN at the range/sound suppression
2. protect life and property
3. Because people (Liberals) hate them

I’m going to be switching back and forth from a SBR 300 BLK 10” and SBR 556 12”. The can will live on the 300BLK a majority of the time just Incase something happens at night. A big perk is that there’s no suggested barrel lengths for the calibers I want to primary use it for.

That being said, I’m leaning hard towards the Sand man S and not the K. I feel I’ll have more fun at the range AND be able to protect my shit with a medium length can. I feel if I touch a round off in my house with the K can, I’ll still have some hearing loss compared to the S. From what I’m gathering the K series (which is smaller and lighter) has about a 5 db rating louder than the S. I like the middle of the road in both sound suppression and length/weight.

Anything I’m missing?

Last edited:
The Sandman S will do exactly what you’re wanting. I shoot mine on a 300 win mag sometimes, and it’s not bad at all, I just can’t spot my hits/misses as well as I can with the L.

how much do you care about weight? price?
Here's an interesting article from this past september that made me pick the YHM Resonator R2 as it seems to the quietest suppressor for.308 among the 27 tested, for about half the price of any other and has a reasonable weight. Keep in mind it was for a bolt action rifle so baffle design on Resonator R2 for semiauto may be noticably louder at the ear of the shooter than the muzzle.
https://www.silencercentral.com/blog/we-tested-27-rifle-suppressors-heres-what-we-found/

I think the nomad sounds better than the s imo.

The s is def way quieter than the k.

I hate k cans on sbrs unless I was kicking doors for a living

I do not own any Sandmans, but I was been able to shoot some on bolt guns and semiauto 556 guns at last years sniper comp. They sound really good for a 30cal can on a 556. I also like the mounting system, they are my third favorite mounting system. (SF, Knights, DeadAir). Not to throw a wrench in your thinking, but you may also want to consider a SF 300SPS. But, the DeadAir is definitely cheaper for pretty darn equal performance.

I have a DA nomad as my currently only rifle suppressor. Goes on my 300BO, multiple 556 guns and my 6.5 CM bolt action. Love that can to death. It’s insanely quiet on the 300 BO. Can’t speak for the sandman series but thumbs up for dead air in my experience

Those are all good can choices. The k will definitely still be loud indoors.

Have a look at the rugged micro 30 as well. Micro K can in the short config and more suppression in the long config. Also no barrel length restriction.

The S is a better choice than the K if you’re going to have one can. I currently have the K, L and am about to put an S on order... take it from me, buy the S first.

Where the K really shines is at public ranges where you are going to have to wear earpro anyways. It tames “plug under muff” guns to the point where they are comfortable to shoot with plugs or muffs alone, while adding a minimum of length and weight.

Also, the Sandman cans are way overbuilt. They are belt fed short barreled rated, I run one on a precision rifle and sort of wish I had just gone with a much lighter thunderbeast or Nomad that would have handled bolt action fire just fine.

The S is a better choice than the K if you’re going to have one can. I currently have the K, L and am about to put an S on order... take it from me, buy the S first.

Where the K really shines is at public ranges where you are going to have to wear earpro anyways. It tames “plug under muff” guns to the point where they are comfortable to shoot with plugs or muffs alone, while adding a minimum of length and weight.

Also, the Sandman cans are way overbuilt. They are belt fed short barreled rated, I run one on a precision rifle and sort of wish I had just gone with a much lighter thunderbeast or Nomad that would have handled bolt action fire just fine.

I have the Nomad-30 on order and just added the Sandman-K for the reasons you mention. The K will be used at public ranges primarily where I have to wear ear-pro anyway. Due to its construction I'm not too worried about it rolling around in the bag or the vehicle either. That thing is built like a damn tank. lol. The Nomad-30 will sit on my .300 AAC SBR.

+1 for sandman. I use a Ti on a 300BO MK18 as well as a 300WM and it does very well. Better than my SiCo Hybrid.

My buddy has a k, not bad but also wouldn’t go out of my way to buy.

Unless you have access to full auto firearms you'd be much better served by a nomad.

Quieter, lighter, I think even cheaper.

Lighter is a big deal people who never owned a suppressor never think of. Go hang a 20oz weight at the end of a 16" rifle and shoulder it for 5 minutes. Sucks because it so far out.

POI & weight are my two biggest factors. Suppression third or so. Price is way down the line on something ill keep forever. Although I am willing to trade some weight for keymo system. I like it that much.

I own both

Last edited:
I need to try the Nomad L. It’s definitely near/at the top of my list.
I know light weight is something a lot of people value highly in a rifle suppressor. I guess I’m an odd duck. I like how little my rifle moves when shooting with the Sandman L.

On a short barrel application like OP has the L would force you go grow some biceps and shoulders for sure after a while. Sound suppression will be better than a Nomad though.

On a short barrel application like OP has the L would force you go grow some biceps and shoulders for sure after a while. Sound suppression will be better than a Nomad though.
That makes sense. I guess if I shot more without a rest I would be more concerned with weight. I really like the Sandman S on my 16” 6.8. I could see a lighter can being nice on that gun too.

Nomads are much lighter and a little cheaper until you put the Keymo adapter on them - then they’re a hair lighter and a little more expensive than a Sandman.

I wouldn't buy a Sandman for a general purpose can, but for your uses (SBR ARs) the Sandman S would probably be a good option. You might also look at the EA Vox S as well.