• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Nosler Unveils New 6mm 115gr Bullet

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Nosler® Unveils 6mm - 115 Grain Reduced Drag Factor™ (RDF) Bullet

Bend, Ore – May 15, 2019 –
    Nosler®, Inc. announced the Reduced Drag Factor™ (RDF) bullet line will be expanded to include a 6mm, 115 grain HPBT. The entire RDF bullet line features the highest BCs and smallest, most consistent meplats of any hollow point match bullet line on the market.

With the introduction of this bullet, distances that were once too far to consistently and accurately shoot are now a reality. This 115 grain bullet was specifically designed to function in 6mm cartridges with barrel twist rates of 1-7.5” or faster and like all RDF bullets, is not intended for big game hunting.

The RDF™ line was designed from the ground up by Nosler’s world-class team of engineers with the goal of delivering exceptionally high BCs that result in the flattest trajectory and least wind drift possible. Several key design factors contribute to the RDF’s game-changing performance. Nosler’s meticulously optimized compound ogive, which bridges traditional tangent and secant bullet shapes, is insensitive to seating depth, allowing handloaders to seat bullets with ease, an advantage for competitors who often load hundreds of rounds per sitting in preparation for a match. Also lending itself to the bullet’s sleek form factor is a long, drag reducing boattail, making the RDF optimal for long range efficiency.

When compared side-by-side, shooters will immediately notice a striking visual contrast between Nosler’s RDF and today’s leading industry match bullets, with a hollow point so small it’s nearly undetectable to the naked eye. The bullet’s tightly profiled design boasts a 40% average reduction in meplat size, completely eliminating the need to point and trim tips—a laborious step performed by match shooters in order to achieve increased ballistic efficiency and an edge over the competition.

Nosler’s 6mm-115 grain RDF bullet is available now at retailers and online stores.

• 6mm – 115 grain—G1 Ballistic Coefficient 0.634| G7 Ballistic Coefficient 0.312
    • Load Data for the 6mm-115gr RDF bullet in 6mm Creedmoor can be found
    www.load-data.nosler.com

For more information about Nosler RDF™bullets and 2019 product introductions, please visit www.nosler.com

Some of the early testing I've seen from this bullet has been quite promising. Interested to see more, may be something that gives the DTAC a run for its money.

i just wanna know who the guinea pigs are gonna be. someone's gotta figure out what percentage of them are flyers

Several friends have had pre-release samples and they've shot well. Was just loading up some rounds last week with a buddy and they were printing bug holes.

Need to get a longer track record of performance from production level bullets and a broader range of shooters to see how confident I feel about them. Haven't had the greatest luck with the 105's.

Reactions: Rover31
    Maybe Scott will chime in here about these, never had a problem with the 140s or 175s but the 130s were a different story. Just reminds me to buy a box of a hundred before I buy 500, By the way Frank did you ever get those (100) to shoot? ??

I'd love to hear if they're particularly finicky with seating depth, or more forgiving like the Hybrid and DTAC are.

What jump?

Last time I checked I was something like a .060" jump. As mentioned in another thread, I tend to have better luck when RDF's are run hot and with a fair amount of jump. I suspect it has to do with where the secant ogive transitions to the tangent ogive; I think they are just made to be jumped a bit, to allow the secant ogive part of the bullet to do it's thing (basically self align/correctly align, as gas pressure surrounds the bullet before it hits the lands and grooves). As we know, secant ogives tend to be easier to get to shoot accurately (because of the round ogive), but generally have a poorer BC. Tangents are extremely efficient (high BC) but are finicky about seating depth to get to shoot well.

At least that is my knuckle draggin' theory anyways...

ETA: It's also why I think these hybrid type bullets (combination secant and tangent ogive) tend to be designed for a certain cartridge in mind (since SAAMI chamber specs will guide where the transition from secant to tangent ogive occurs, as well as the trade off in BC for ease of accuracy). Again, no hard data on that, just a hunch...

Last edited:
    Last time I checked I was something like a .060" jump. As mentioned in another thread, I tend to have better luck when RDF's are run hot and with a fair amount of jump. I suspect it has to do with where the secant ogive transitions to the tangent ogive; I think they are just made to be jumped a bit, to allow the secant ogive part of the bullet to do it's thing (basically self align/correctly align, as gas pressure surrounds the bullet before it hits the lands and grooves). As we know, secant ogives tend to be easier to get to shoot accurately (because of the round ogive), but generally have a poorer BC. Tangents are extremely efficient (high BC) but are finicky about seating depth to get to shoot well.

At least that is my knuckle draggin' theory anyways...

ETA: It's also why I think these hybrid type bullets (combination secant and tangent ogive) tend to be designed for a certain cartridge in mind (since SAAMI chamber specs will guide where the transition from secant to tangent ogive occurs, as well as the trade off in BC for ease of accuracy). Again, no hard data on that, just a hunch...
    I think you have tangent and secant flipped. Secants are generally VLD style and are picky to time but have higher BCs . Tangents are easy to tune (jump insensitive) but have lower BC.

Reactions: Nodakplowboy
    I got 223 and 308, they never sent me 130s that I recall

I know we talked, I sent u a box when they first came out. No biggie I was losing my mind with development on those. Shortly after a thread came out on the hide about them, seemed to be the consensus they were acting the same way. Hope these are not like that they would be an awesome addition to the 6mm.

Finally! Ive been waiting on these for months.
    Brownells has had these for sale since mid February

Orignal thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/nosler-6mm-115gr-rdf.6928898/

I think you have tangent and secant flipped. Secants are generally VLD style and are picky to time but have higher BCs . Tangents are easy to tune (jump insensitive) but have lower BC.

You are correct (I, for some reason, always get them backwards). :D

Reactions: Subwrx300
    Brownells has had these for sale since mid February

Orignal thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/nosler-6mm-115gr-rdf.6928898/
    Yeah the full priced ones but these only appeared today ;)
    http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosl...nosler-6mm-115-grain-rdf-hpbt-blem-100ct.html

Scott Satterlee and I have run the 115 RDF's in several matches now using Proof barreled 6 Creeds and they've been very impressive so far. I didn't notice any of the jump sensitivity like on other RDFs, my loads were 20 thou off, and Scott was running them further out. Never once noticed a flyer until my barrel had around 1k rounds on it and was smoked. Our real world BC numbers have come in around 0.312 G7, trued out to just over 1600 yards.

I'm guessing (like many manufacturers do) that the RDF's have been tweaked since their debut. The 6mm 115gr bullets (I'd also guess) have benefited from that. The initial batches of 70gr RDF's shot like crap for most people, but the ones coming out of the factory today seem to shoot fairly well (I was surprised, when I shot some of the recent blems out of a .223; since the first run of 100 I had, had shot pretty badly).

Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

FYI: If you're a veteran or LEO/Mil there's also a discount (when things aren't on sale).

I just bought 800 105 RDF bullets. Going to try them in my 6br. I shot the 70's and they were not bad for just pulling a load off of quick load.

I am loading the 115 RDF to 39.4 gr (H4350) at 2944 fps in a 6XC. I jumped them from .015-.030 and they group well. Also using .310 BC here in Floria.

The base of bullet to ogive are longer than the 105 by about .070.

Any more feedback from guys that had problems with the 105 Rdf and found these to be better or more consistent?
    I have a few thousand of the 105s I use for forming and positional but dont trust for consistency

How consistent is the weight of these bullets compared to other RDFs? I shoot the 105s which perform ok but not to the level of Berger's. The weight variation is poor though with 0.7gr variation, whereas Berger's aren't more than 0.2gr with their 105 hybrids. I'm not convinced Nosler have the tightest quality control out there with what they deem to be match grade. I hope these bullets are an improvement.

I will keep a cautious eye on these, but really DTACs are not terribly expensive (well they are compared to that blem price lol).

@KWilson I measured 25 of the Nosler 115gn pills on a FX-120I. Average weight = 115.00gn, Extreme Spread = 0.38, and SD = 0.11. Seems these are a bit more consistent than the 105 pills you mention. Shot a load development yesterday with H4350 powder and jumping 0.010". Initial data looks promising!

@KWilson I measured 25 of the Nosler 115gn pills on a FX-120I. Average weight = 115.00gn, Extreme Spread = 0.38, and SD = 0.11. Seems these are a bit more consistent than the 105 pills you mention. Shot a load development yesterday with H4350 powder and jumping 0.010". Initial data looks promising!

Cheers appreciate the info. If they've tightened up their tolerances and QC on this bullet then it could be a decent option.

Would be sweet if they got rid of the chaotic flyers. I ran the 105 for a while, would get terrible flyers at a rate of roughly 3 per hundred. That sucked at matches, trying to figure out on the clock, what the fuck just happened. Went back to bergers, and magically got rid of mystery rounds. The rest of the 105s shot phenominally. Hopefully the 115's fixed that, and shoot as well as the majority of the 105's.

I think, at least based on mine own experience, people often miss the point on new projectiles.

It's great that we're getting more options but consistency rules the day. A bullet with a 620 bc one day and a 590 the next is worthless.

I'd rather have the 590 every time. The consistency thing seems to trip companies up. Aside from Berger and Hornady I've seen some spotty QC with other offerings.

If they can produce a 630 BC consistently these will rock. If it's meh for consistency it won't make a splash.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
    Had a guy test the 115gr RDF using the Applied Ballistics mobile lab Doppler radar at the Kestrel Fall Classic match and he was given a .309 G7 BC. I use a .310 so I feel that the numbers are spot on.

Reactions: ZY100
    I've posted in a couple of other threads regarding the inconsistency of the 6.5 140gr. I am of the theory that the Random Damn Fliers, are a result of the inconsistency of manufacturing of these.
    On 700 bullets and 3 different lots, weights varied by an extreme of 1 grain. (+/- .5) Base to tip varied by an extreme of .030" and base to ogive by an extreme of .026".
    My seating die seats from the ogive. I had to separate in lots according to base to ogive (7 lots!) Then seat long and take a couple of stabs at seating downward to obtain proper cartridge base to ogive length. It's a lot of work!
    Once that was done they shot well. However not any better than the ELD-m's that required no such extra work.

So all that to try to explain why I think others have had issues, I, too, want to really like this bullet and simply hope that Nosler does some due diligence to rectify the inconsistencies I pointed out.

Perhaps these new 6mm offerings will not have the same issues.

Reactions: ddavis
    I’m curious if they are accurately stating the BC’s . Nosler’s habit of significantly misrepresenting the bc’s gets tiresome. The amount of innovation in the shooting world right now is great and I’m sure there is steep competition, but I’d wager being full of s**t regarding bc’s has cost them more business than just being honest would have.

The BCs on the 130’s are spot on for me, they have figured out that they will get called on inflated numbers

I’m curious if they are accurately stating the BC’s . Nosler’s habit of significantly misrepresenting the bc’s gets tiresome. The amount of innovation in the shooting world right now is great and I’m sure there is steep competition, but I’d wager being full of s**t regarding bc’s has cost them more business than just being honest would have.

The BC's on the RDF line are accurate and real world tested before they're published. In the past Nosler used computer generated numbers for their BC's which proved to over estimate the numbers. They learned from their mistakes and changed their process. Now before they release bullets and BC's they ship test lots to several independent shooters to figure out the BC on their own and report back to Nosler.

Reactions: Busyhawk
    Since I see a lot of the RDF's on sale in the PX, is there any way to tell what generation they are? I have been loading some 130 RDF's in a 6.5x47, and the jury is still out. I purchased these within the last year. I also have a couple boxes of 105's that I haven't had the opportunity to test yet. Maybe I should just get some of the 115's.

Great node just under 2900 fps in 31 deg F temps, barrel has 1:7.5 twist. 38.6gn H4350, jumping 0.010", got 1/4" groups at 100 yards. Took this load to 1054 yards at 8.6 mil, using 2890 for muzzle velocity and 0.310 for G7 BC. Would like to drop a few more at long range for confidence, but off to a great start with the Nosler 6mm 115 grainers.
    IMG_4259.jpg
    IMG_4260.jpg
    IMG_4254.jpg