• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official Smoker Thread

Way to go.
Killing the fire tending tradition.

Next thing you know you will be doing chores while cooking.

I have spent years perfecting BBQ traditions.

Like if the wife appears to get needy or heaven forbid an idea gleans a thought.
Response is to say uh ow, run to the smoker amd poke it, pretend to adjust it.

More like doing anything but standing over the smoker. it's glorious.

A good example is I was pounding my gf while my ribs were cooking. Seemed like the way to go

I had a traeger and it turned out some really good food. Something about the food was always a bit underwhelming, however. I am a believer that you can never get authentic bbq if you are doing anything other than burning logs.
For me, smoking food is therapeutic. Knowing that at the end of 12-18 hours, that the food will be the absolute best I can do.
I think of it like painting a car. You can go to Maaco and get the ambassador special - yes, its painted, and likely most people will never know the difference- or you can spend hours upon hours using elbow grease. At the end, you'll have a paint job worthy of a show car.

Reactions: Snuby642
wow. I thought that map pricing for the daniel boone prime during black friday month was 600. good deal
I farm and my local grain Coop sells them. The Coop is farmer owned so I imagine the board maybe passing them at cost as a perk for their customers/owners. IDK that, just speculating.

I had a traeger and it turned out some really good food. Something about the food was always a bit underwhelming, however. I am a believer that you can never get authentic bbq if you are doing anything other than burning logs.
For me, smoking food is therapeutic. Knowing that at the end of 12-18 hours, that the food will be the absolute best I can do.
I think of it like painting a car. You can go to Maaco and get the ambassador special - yes, its painted, and likely most people will never know the difference- or you can spend hours upon hours using elbow grease. At the end, you'll have a paint job worthy of a show car.

Totally agree. A pellet smoker is for those that want convenience and better tasting food than a gas grill. Those that
are happy with that trade off for food that is 80-85% as "smokey" as the traditional smokers.
I can sit back drinking beer inside, all while monitoring the smoker temperature, two separate internal food temperatures. Change, start or stop anything on it........from my phone. fuck i love this thing

Not sure about the paint reference though. I'd pay for a kick ass paint job.

Reactions: Guiseppe83
I was in a situation that I needed to replace both the smoker and the grill. I had great ambitions to build a smoker, however that will be someday when I retire. For the price and timing the pellet smoker/grill fit.

Totally agree. A pellet smoker is for those that want convenience and better tasting food than a gas grill. Those that
are happy with that trade off for food that is 80-85% as "smokey" as the traditional smokers.
I can sit back drinking beer inside, all while monitoring the smoker temperature, two separate internal food temperatures. Change, start or stop anything on it........from my phone. fuck i love this thing

Not sure about the paint reference though. I'd pay for a kick ass paint job.
The reference is meant to illustrate that it's worth the work, not the convenience

Got it. not really. But you old timers have your ways you love. Just don't get angry when
all the blacks don't have to sit at the back of the bus.
Lol, I'm 37. I've always sucked at analogies. It made sense in my head but nowhere else.

Anyone smoking anything good this week?

Last edited:
Cheap rump roast in an immersion cooker for 10 hours at 135° and then finished on the Traeger for 1 hour.
20191229_194814.jpg

20191224_193433.jpg

And then I did these St Louis style ribs on the Traeger a week ago.

Pellet smokers: most guys I talk to love them because, it's easy. So, I call them "Easy Bake".

Some of us enjoy the fire, warmth, smell and a pile of friends having a good time outside while waiting on fine food. Stack wood, burn wood. Need different wood? Grab a saw and take a hike. Drag it back for your next cook. Work and reward. Men.

E

I love my EZ bake! Have a wood smoker but it only gets fired up a couple times a year. Rarely choose to spend the time babysitting when I can go for a float or run across the street and go shoot while its doing its thing.

I'm all fired up to smoke this last whole wild pig in the freezer. Mostly because I need to make room for more for after I head to AL next month to hunt.

Having the first annual "Wild Game Extravaganza" on the 4th. 28 people confirmed, 6 on the fence (slapdicks). There will be at least 10 species on the table, more like 14 if you count the different ducks .

The goose and elk pastrami will be going onto the smoker thursday and the pig will go in the brine, then onto the smoker on the 3rd. Smoked mac and cheese for one of the sides.

Smoking a full packer brisket right now. Started at 6:30 this morning.

The only thing I'll be doing to it the whole time is wrapping in foil when it hits 160.

35 degrees out. fuck tending to a fire. yay pellet smoker

Reactions: Shanghai McCoy
Smoking a full packer brisket right now. Started at 6:30 this morning.

The only thing I'll be doing to it the whole time is wrapping in foil when it hits 160.

35 degrees out. fuck tending to a fire. yay pellet smoker

35 is a perfect temp for outside cooking and a good fire.

What does that brisket weight?

Finally, a man with info. What temp did you wrap and how long was the rest?

225 until it hit 160 internal

then wrapped until it hit 195 internal. then rest in a cooler for an hour

took 6 1/2 to cook. a bit too short. I'll be lowering the temp next time

don't get me wrong, it was good. But could have been a little more tender.

225 until it hit 160 internal

then wrapped until it hit 195 internal. then rest in a cooler for an hour

took 6 1/2 to cook. a bit too short. I'll be lowering the temp next time

don't get me wrong, it was good. But could have been a little more tender.

Takes a bit to learn brisket. Cannot rush it. Rest longer

As it stands now, would you buy another Green Mountain? Stopped by a local dealer a few days ago only to find them closed for the week.

I'm really impressed by what I see from the Yoder Smokers YS640. Yes, it's a pellet smoker, but I feel like I should have a stick burner, a pellet smoker, and my Kamado Joe. After all, you don't just own one rifle, right?

I'm really impressed by what I see from the Yoder Smokers YS640. Yes, it's a pellet smoker, but I feel like I should have a stick burner, a pellet smoker, and my Kamado Joe. After all, you don't just own one rifle, right?

Yoder smokers look bad ass. If you want to spend 3x more than necessary

Save your pennies and get yourself a Lone Star Grillz pellet smoker. $2000.00 for the 36 inch model

Haven't been able to look at the Green Mtn yet but happened to notice this one at Lowes this morning. May warrant a little further investigation.

looks expensive for what you get.

Great that it has a meat probe built in.

But you might find that having wifi (that doesn't) is what keeps you from having to hover over it
during use.

I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread. I don't have a whole lot of experience smoking meat, and I don't have a fancy dedicated smoking setup. I have a charcoal Weber kettle grill that I've successfully used to smoke some items before, and I'm definitely interested in trying some of the stuff I'm seeing here.

At the risk of sounding like a hipster, I've found that smoked avocados can make for a unique and interesting guacamole. A simple and easy way to impress company if you already have the smoker fired up. I want to try putting some smoked avocados with my home made dry aged hamburgers.

Looking forward to trying more smoking in 2020.

Reactions: Skimafia
I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread. I don't have a whole lot of experience smoking meat, and I don't have a fancy dedicated smoking setup. I have a charcoal Weber kettle grill that I've successfully used to smoke some items before, and I'm definitely interested in trying some of the stuff I'm seeing here.

At the risk of sounding like a hipster, I've found that smoked avocados can make for a unique and interesting guacamole. A simple and easy way to impress company if you already have the smoker fired up. I want to try putting some smoked avocados with my home made dry aged hamburgers.

Looking forward to trying more smoking in 2020.
My introduction to smoking food was on a weber 22.5. I still use it for general grilling because I can make a raging hot fire using lump.
I always use the minion method, also known as the snake method. You can keep an amazingly consistent temp using that technique. You'll find tons of videos on YouTube showing how its done.
Also, check out the Slow N Sear. It's another way to cook low and slow on a weber.

looks expensive for what you get.

Great that it has a meat probe built in.

But you might find that having wifi (that doesn't) is what keeps you from having to hover over it
during use.

I'm still going to look at the GM. I'm not much of a smart phone fan so wifi may/may not be something I'd use. Didn't spend a lot of time looking at the OJ but it seemed heavily built. And I liked the height. Has some kind of sear setting which seems kinda weird.

My introduction to smoking food was on a weber 22.5. I still use it for general grilling because I can make a raging hot fire using lump.
I always use the minion method, also known as the snake method. You can keep an amazingly consistent temp using that technique. You'll find tons of videos on YouTube showing how its done.
Also, check out the Slow N Sear. It's another way to cook low and slow on a weber.

I actually do have and use the slow n sear 2.0! It's a great addition, with the proper vent settings and a little bit of oversight it seems to maintain temperature very well.

11 pound brisket?
Was it veal?

20191223_205038.jpg

Get a grown up brisket, more size / fat cap makes for more tender.
I find that the smaller briskets need to be pushed much slower @ 180 degrees or less
untill they stall and are wrapped. Then bring heat up. Less mass gets heat shoving the juices too fast and they (fat out) dry up on you even "by the numbers". The numbers are sounding correct for a "standard 12-14 lb" on the heat, not necessarily time.

The 21 lb brisket took me 18 + hours cooking because I didnt push it hard enough
after the stall. I had gotten used to 16 lb heat and time frame.

Try much lower heat to reach stall on smaller briskets, wrap and raise heat then.
On the big boys raise heat more than normal after wrapped.

Keep notes like you were doing load development so you dont get drunk and forget.
I own that T-shirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCRAM2013
11 pound brisket?
Was it veal?

View attachment 7216747

Get a grown up brisket, more size / fat cap makes for more tender.
I find that the smaller briskets need to be pushed much slower @ 180 degrees or less
untill they stall and are wrapped. Then bring heat up. Less mass gets heat shoving the juices too fast and they (fat out) dry up on you even "by the numbers". The numbers are sounding correct for a "standard 12-14 lb" on the heat, not necessarily time.

The 21 lb brisket took me 18 + hours cooking because I didnt push it hard enough
after the stall. I had gotten used to 16 lb heat and time frame.

Try much lower heat to reach stall on smaller briskets, wrap and raise heat then.
On the big boys raise heat more than normal after wrapped.

Keep notes like you were doing load development so you dont get drunk and forget.
I own that T-shirt.

I have a notebook. It is a must. I'm dumb.

I work slow through the stall. I won't force it. Let it do it's thing. Adds time and more effort.

Reactions: Snuby642
Years ago I would not wrap and just kept going lower and slower.
50% of my briskets were great the other half not so good.

I went to the Texas Crutch on brisket and pork butts and have been very happy since.

Not ashamed of my foil use, well just a little. Lol

Study your smoker purchase longer than you would your vehicle purchase. IMO and we know what those are like.

E
I'll buy a $50k+ vehicle on a whim but will study a small $ purchase to death. Caught my eye at Lowes because it was different and seemed heavily built. Little bit I've looked so far is not promising. Supposedly also works as a grill but general experience with do-all/multi-purpose things is they don't do any one thing well.

I have a green egg I bought used. Smoked a lot of things with it as well as grilling. I love this thing. I also have a Cyber Q I use for long smokes. Yes I like to do other stuff willst smoking. Most of the time working in my shop with smoker outside the open garage door to watch and smell. Wife’s favorite is chicken legs. Mine is a standing roast. Also still have a 22” Weber. Gotta pay attention to this posting.
CC0DBE83-3CFF-4179-AD51-51AF7C5F4B16.jpeg
8D36BCFA-01FD-4E3D-BC59-3FD872B9DDE5.jpeg
1F72EA26-86C7-4331-BE03-87FDE92A79ED.jpeg
1A293313-A83D-4FC6-9C13-9E66C4943B7C.jpeg
4108A5D2-64F8-4E68-88E7-2AF9B3D2EC3A.jpeg
642DA8FD-ED79-48DC-9584-72D9F2B0C51D.jpeg
66636FD1-CF2D-44C8-A647-690B7D539E51.jpeg

Years ago I would not wrap and just kept going lower and slower.
50% of my briskets were great the other half not so good.

I went to the Texas Crutch on brisket and pork butts and have been very happy since.

Not ashamed of my foil use, well just a little. Lol

Hell, I'm not. Wrap and rest is the way to go