• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Opinions

[email protected]

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2012
Rochester, NY
Hello I am 15 years old am and working on a remington 700. So far i have a B&C medalist a5 stock and harris bipod on it and now need decent glass. I was looking at a 4-16 power for noth the range and hunting and would like some opinions on a scope. I was looking to spend no more than $400 (I'm 15, dont have much money.) I was looking along the lines of three scopes: the 4-14 falcon menace, WoTac 4X14X50, and theZeiss Conquest 3x9x40. Does anybody have any experience with these scopes that could help or recomend other scope in this price range? Thanks in advance, Jake

Those are all good options, with pros and cons. First, you reall need to know what your main intentions are with the rifle. Target shooting at 100 yards, long range to 1000, learning tactical shooting and mil system ( or moa) or mixing in any hunting. The 4-16 range you mentioned is a very versatile mag range and would be a good fit for most uses. Some people have had great luck with Wotac and Falcon, some haven't. The Millet 4-16 is usually mentioned in the same class as them. The huge plus to them is matching turrets with reticle, and front focal plane. The Conquest would trounce them optically I'm sure, but at the cost of "tactical" features. Some compromises will have to be made in the sub $400 range. If your not hunting, the Swfa ss 10x is great glass for the money. The Leupold mark ar mod1 gives matching turrets/reticle; 3-9 x40 with mil-dot runs about $350. The Vortex Viper 4-12 is nice glass, but again,less tactical oriented. Over all I would probably recommend the Midway exclusive Weaver 3-10x40 mil/mil on sale for $300, or the Leupold 3-9 mark ar over the higher mag Wotac/falcon/millet. Then its all about trigger time. Just my thoughts. Nice rifle!

Save up a little more and get the midway special 5-15. Its 30MM, Mil/MIL, great glass and really one hell of a deal.

You wont need to upgrade that scope for a LONG time, and if u ever do, you will get atleast what you paid for it.

Its much more capable than anything in that class and the magnification range and elevation adjustment will take you out pretty far.

Problem with that is availability. I had it set for them to send me a notification when in stock and by the time I had a chance to see the email and check it out (about 2 hours after receiving the email) they were already out of stock again. That was about a month ago.

I am about to upgrade my glass and I currently have the Wotac. Since you're 15 I will make you a real good deal on it and if you need a base and rings I can offer those also. Under your budget!! Pm me if you're interested

Also have butler creek flip ups on the Wotac. My base is a EGW 0 moa and the rings are TPS