• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Optics guidance/suggestions

jfarr

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Okay,new to forum here and looking forward to learning quite a bit from you all.
Have a .338 Lapua en route (Savage 110 FCP HS Precision) that I got a deal "i couldn't refuse" on. Looking for glass options for shooting that rifle in long range courses, and possibly competitions down the road.
Rifle was not even on my radar until I got it at such a good deal. So optics cost was not on my radar either.

I own a Rem 700LTR in .308 that I have an SWFA SS 10x42 mildot/MOA adj scope on a 20 MOA base. Had that setup over past 18mos or so at out to 500yds with real consistency at my gun club then went to PLR I course at Whittington Center in Raton, NM in Sept and had two days of shooting that setup from 400yds-1200yds in foothills/mountainous terrain on the Whittington Center property. Was really happy with performance of the SS scope on my rig in those conditions and proved to myself that both I and my setup could hit relatively cosistently at 1000yds with 175 gr SMK's (with the assistance of my spotter of course). Even scored three sequential hits on a target approx 1.5 MOA in size at 1200yds after figuring out the wind correction.

So, with the unplanned acquisition of the Lapua I want to be able to have the rig capable of going to the "magic mile" and possibly out to 2000yds. I know that I have much work on my end to get there, but need optics that will do it.

No budget for USO, NF, Premier, S&B, etc; maybe down the line a few years. Hoping to spend $800 or less.

Saw SWFA SS now offered in mil/mil setup with their mil-quad reticle in both variable power and in 16x42 or 20x42 fixed. question is will 16X be adequate for "mile" type shots and if so, is SWFA glass clear enough for that distance. I was very comfortable with my 10X SS at 1000yds and it was workable @ 1200yds, but beyond that I feel like 10X is not gonna cut it?

I feel like 16X would not be too much for as tight as say 400yds or so and feel it probably is good out to mile type distances. 20X probably too much at shorter ranges in my opinion.

So other than fixed power SWFA SS's or possibly a SFP variable Vortex PST, any thoughts/suggestions to keep in $800 budget?
Thanks.

Re: Optics guidance/suggestions

Your best bet would be Leupold MK4 8.5X25X50 LRT. One for sale now in the optics for sale section for $1100, but have seen them cheaper at times.

Anyone else?
Looked also at Millet, sightron, etc at under $800 budget; but have zero experience with them. Really only considering the SS line if going to spend any less than say $600 due to my positive experience with their 10x42 on my .308.

Seeing that $800 appears to be the entry budget area for a FFP matched reticle/turret format in the Weaver tactical.

Bushnell and Vortex PST in the $850-$950 range in the under 20X family of scopes.

So next question is I see an IOR Valdada 3-18x42 mil/mil in 35mm tube for around $1400 with rings and I think it comes with sunshade. For the add'l $400 or so is that moving into a whole other league of optics from the Weaver, PST, Bushnell lineups?

Feedback on IOR Valdada? the scope I see for $1400 is supposedly one that was develope withinput from this forum, I assume it is "good stuff".

A fixed power SWFA SS 16X will get the job done. I personally like mine 5-20x50 (even though it doesn't sit on my 338) and would have no hesitation using it for on my 338. For the price you are talking about you will come out better looking in the used market though. As for the others you mentioned I think Bushnell or Sightron would be the other options I'd explore. I've had a Sightron and it was a nice piece of glass and a very usable scope. And Bushnell made great strides in the past decade or so. Their reputation of offering a good product at a fair price is well deserved.

If you order before tomorrow you can get the Bushnell ET6245FG for roughly $728 after the rebate. grabagun has them listed for $803.13 and the $75 rebate expires on the 31st.

Others will have to tell you how it compares optically to the other scopes you mentioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrm850</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you order before tomorrow you can get the Bushnell ET6245FG for roughly $728 after the rebate. grabagun has them listed for $803.13 and the $75 rebate expires on the 31st.

Others will have to tell you how it compares optically to the other scopes you mentioned. </div></div>

The glass is not the best but is pretty good, and the features (FFP, G2DMR reticle) are tough to match in this price range.

I just got 2 rebate checks from Bushnell today, one for the ET6245FG for $75, no hassle.

I wish I had found the deal at grabagun.com but I paid nearly $100 more shipped for mine. Still, at $825 final price, I'm very happy with this scope.

Joe

Sightron SIII scopes are excellent for the money. If you can live with an SFP reticle, you'll get very good glass, excellent tracking, and durability.

Vortex PST 6-24x50 MRAD... Give Mike @ CSTactical a call, he will hook you up. You can come back and thank me later!!

DK

Update:
Went with Weaver 3-15x50 mil/mil, FFP illum EMDR reticle.
Scott at Liberty Optics was GREAT and actually got me into the best scope for my price range and had a ton of useful info/experience to guide me in my decision.

He actually talked me out of the 34mm IOR that I was considering stretching my budget for based on its shorter eye relief and it having been an issue on larger caliber magnums with some past setups. He guided himself out of $400+ but has a lifelong customer for optics now.

The Weaver is built like a "tank", great glass for the under $800 price for FFP, illum ret, with sunshade. Once I get some range time with it I'll post.