• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OTTO NoizeBarrier earpro same as new Etymotic Elites....

15% off today on the eBay app code PSAVETODAY I added some little things to get 10% off then stacked the 15% coupon for a total of $283.01 shipped.

Thanks Rick. That worked for me also. I’ve been waiting for a discount on these.

Zip, I don’t believe the Otto’s from Botach have BT.

Thanks. I ALMOST bought a pair with the discount to try yesterday but already have the Walkers game ear with bluetooth that are pretty awesome. I'm probably an outlier but I like to listen to music at the range/match or while hunting at a feeder haha.

I called Otto yesterday. The CS person was very nice, but told me I needed to send them to the vendor that I bought them from. I bought them from BoTach's Ebay site so I called BoTach. They told me that I needed to email their BoTach Ebay customer service. I did that and they emailed me back that I needed to contact Otto.

So I called Otto again and explained the runaround I got from BoTach. The Otto customer service agent was very nice and gave me a RGA number. I sent them back to Otto today. I'll update this when the process is complete.

Otto customer service called me yesterday to clarify which ear piece was not holding charge. They replaced it and are shipping them today. I have a match on March 23rd. I'll report after the match if the issue is resolved.

I had heard on this forum in the past that Botach had poor customer service, but I bought these from them anyway. My bad. The folks at Otto customer service had been great to deal with. I give them an A+.

Reactions: Timo Turl
I've read this entire thread. It sounds like the Otto product is very well-received.
Question: I usually shoot at an outdoor range where I'm often next to other shooters with braked rifles. Fairly close together.... maybe 4 - 5 feet to each side. How well will these work in that environment?

My current ear-pro is disposable foam tips with 3M Peltor Tactical Pro e-muffs over them. The Tactical Pros are fairly bulky and can be a bit of an issue with cheek-weld on occasion.

Will the Ottos be sufficient on a rifle line with shooters fairly close together? I already have tinnitus, so I will spare no expense to protect my ears.... IF the product WORKS.

Thanks!

Without doubt, I would continue to double up on the ear protection in your situation.

Only time I would consider NOT doubling up is if all those around me were shooting suppressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: rady and BadDogPSD
Without doubt, I would continue to double up on the ear protection in your situation.

Only time I would consider NOT doubling up is if all those around me were shooting suppressed.

Ah, then... there's no point in buying them, as they offer no advantages at all. Plus, putting muffs over them would create feedback.

Oh well... I figured as much. But, I was hopeful (I could get rid of the big muffs). Nothing can beat the physical barrier of full-sized over-the-ear muffs.

Thanks. I just saved nearly $400. Like I said... if they WORKED, I'd drop the $$$ in a second. But, I don't want to spend the money, if they really don't offer more protection than what I've got. It sounds like they'd be adequate if you're by yourself or on a range with a lot of distance between shooters... which will never be the case for me. I'm either on a crowded outdoor rifle range or an indoor pistol range.

Darn it... the reviews here had me excited. And, the product does look very slick. I guess I'm the only one without his own private range. ;) I'm forced to shoot with other shooters nearby.

Last edited:
I have been shooting suppressed way too long struggling with poor cheek weld issues and hunting without any protection. Fortunately, I shoot in wide open spaces outdoors for the most part with only occasional outdoor local range shooting.

My hearing is poor, 66 years old growing up shooting we didn’t even consider hearing protection and although we wore muffs being a range instructor for many years it takes a toll on the hearing.

This thread is a great example of the value of being a member of this forum.

My Otto set is scheduled to arrive this Tuesday and I am really looking forward to using them.

Thank you all for posting your first hand experience with this product, this is a great example of the value of belonging to SH.

Mine came today, hit the backyard range with 50 rounds and my 1911, my sordins are a little better but in the summer these will be awesome.

@Racer88, not much will beat the foam plug and ear muff combo for total sound attenuation and overall hearing protection. That said, I use my Otto’s by themselves for hunting and when shooting suppressed because they still allow me to hear normal sounds.

I often double them up when at the range with muffs (Sordins) and have had no issues at all with feedback. They provide good ear protection while still allowing communication with RSOs and those around me.

Do all you can to protect your hearing... you will never be able to recover what you may have already lost.

Reactions: rady
@Racer88, not much will beat the foam plug and ear muff combo for total sound attenuation and overall hearing protection. That said, I use my Otto’s by themselves for hunting and when shooting suppressed because they still allow me to hear normal sounds.

I often double them up when at the range with muffs (Sordins) and have had no issues at all with feedback. They provide good ear protection while still allowing communication with RSOs and those around me.

Do all you can to protect your hearing... you will never be able to recover what you may have already lost.

Yeah... I can hear the normal sounds around me perfectly with foam plugs and my Peltor Tactical Pros, which are e-muffs. I just turn up the volume a bit so the normal sounds overcome the foam plugs. Works perfectly.

I just got excited last night reading this thread, thinking maybe there was something that would work just as well without the bulk of the muffs. Guess not. Oh well. So it goes! No free lunch! :)

I used the OTTO NB for the first time yesterday. Fantastic, comfortable and great protection. I shoot primarily n the BLM suppressed so I don’t have to be concerned with someone shooting next to me.

These are going to be a great addition to my hunting tool kit as well.

Thank you all for bringing these to my attention,

My tinnitus just started randomly a month ago. Did the MRI and wasn’t a tumor/ hearing test showed hearing damage that matches a history of hunting/ motorcycles working in music biz etc . Still hoping for it to be something associated with my sinus issues but we’ll see

I have some msa sordins and will double up with those with foam.

Sounds like what I have already is good to go but these looked like they’d be great... tinnitus at 30 fk me

This tinnitus has almost turned me away from target shooting but I guess doubling up on ear pro and shooting suppressed should be ok. I’m just angry at myself for those times hunting and shooting without ear pro

Last edited:
Otto customer service called me yesterday to clarify which ear piece was not holding charge. They replaced it and are shipping them today. I have a match on March 23rd. I'll report after the match if the issue is resolved.

I had heard on this forum in the past that Botach had poor customer service, but I bought these from them anyway. My bad. The folks at Otto customer service had been great to deal with. I give them an A+.

I shot a local match yesterday. The Ottos performed great.

After the great reviews I ordered a pair of Ottos. I went sight in a rifle and put the Ottos in, Left earpiece gives me the 3 tone on. Right earpiece has no tone and no hi or lo. So, before I call, is each earpiece turned on and controlled separately or will one control the other. I'm guessing each is separate but wanted to confirm before starting a RMA.

That said, with the one that was working it was awesome to hear peepers in the background and not have ears ringing after firing. Definitely going to like these once they are 100%.

After the great reviews I ordered a pair of Ottos. I went sight in a rifle and put the Ottos in, Left earpiece gives me the 3 tone on. Right earpiece has no tone and no hi or lo. So, before I call, is each earpiece turned on and controlled separately or will one control the other. I'm guessing each is separate but wanted to confirm before starting a RMA.

That said, with the one that was working it was awesome to hear peepers in the background and not have ears ringing after firing. Definitely going to like these once they are 100%.
They should both generate the "On" tone. Contact Otto CS. Mine had the same issue and they sent a new set to me in less than a week.

They should both generate the "On" tone. Contact Otto CS. Mine had the same issue and they sent a new set to me in less than a week.

Thanks Praeger. I'll call Otto tomorrow.

Hi, has anyone had custom ear moulds made for these...just wondering how you got on ?

Also, are there any Hide vendors for these ?

Last edited:
Reactions: seansmd
I've been using mine since the end of Jan, roughly 4-5 range trips/week, 1 local match and a 2-day NRL match. I've only charged the case once (when it was brand new) and it still shows 70% charge. The plugs themselves have never dropped below 40% for a full day's use. I'm super impressed with them, money well spent! I think I need to order some new foam tips though, mine are getting a lil gnarly, haha.

I've been using mine since the end of Jan, roughly 4-5 range trips/week, 1 local match and a 2-day NRL match. I've only charged the case once (when it was brand new) and it still shows 70% charge. The plugs themselves have never dropped below 40% for a full day's use. I'm super impressed with them, money well spent! I think I need to order some new foam tips though, mine are getting a lil gnarly, haha.

Just a heads up, I had some Comply foam tips I left on a little too long and had to pay a visit to the nurse on site during a match to remove the foam with forceps. It separated from the plastic inner sleeve and the foam stayed in my ear.

0 out of 5 stars, would not recommend.

Reactions: IronOperator87
Its been just under a year since I bought mine and I have been using them regularly, however I recently am experiencing that the left one will die just before a 1 day match is over, while the other says it still has a 40% charge. I've emailed them about it about a week ago but have not gotten a reply.

Just a heads up, I had some Comply foam tips I left on a little too long and had to pay a visit to the nurse on site during a match to remove the foam with forceps. It separated from the plastic inner sleeve and the foam stayed in my ear.

0 out of 5 stars, would not recommend.

Thanks for the heads up. Which replacement foam tips have you found to work well?

An update on my review- these work so well that when wearing them everything sounds exactly as it does without them in (when on the lower setting). So similar in fact, I had one fall out while mowing the lawn and had no idea. The lawnmower isnt loud enough like gunfire I would immediately know it was out. An hour of crawling around the yard on my hands and knees, rubbing grass, beer in hand and the neighbors probably changing their opinion of me and I finally found it. Considering adding a chord between the two units like some earplugs have. Pretty good testament though how natural they sound.

I used the complyfoam and like them. Definitely keep extras around though. When they lose their sponginess the noise protection is reduced.....and they dont stay in a swell.

Reactions: Patty
Had one earpiece that wasn't working right. I called Otto customer service and they had a replacement to me in a couple of days. I have always used non-electronic muffs or in ear foam plugs and was amazed at being able to hear birds in between shots. Love these so far.

These are so much more comfortable than the ones that come with it.

Comply Professional Noise Isolating Earphone Tips for NuForce, ISOtunes PRO, Q-Jays, Etymotic Research, Westone, Shure & More P-Series Memory Foam Replacement Earbud Tips (Medium, 3-pairs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VNB0UC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_L9hRCbQ8Q0KTM
Ok I'm a little confused. Are these the same ones you had problems with 3 posts above or were they a different Comply plug?

I'm using these in the link and they work great so far and thing about getting some extras so just looking for some clarification.

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has had customs made for the Ottos and if it improved them enough to be worth it.

Ok I'm a little confused. Are these the same ones you had problems with 3 posts above or were they a different Comply plug?

I'm using these in the link and they work great so far and thing about getting some extras so just looking for some clarification.

Its not so much a problem with the tips themselves, but a warning to change them before they have a tendency to fall apart, i used mine for a good 5 months, probably should have changed them at 3-4.

Its not so much a problem with the tips themselves, but a warning to change them before they have a tendency to fall apart, i used mine for a good 5 months, probably should have changed them at 3-4.
Ok, thank you for the clarification. I wear regular foam plugs at work everyday and change them out often before they get that bad, but hopefully that will help those who don't, change them before they have issues.

My take on these... ordered a set from Amazon, figured I would give them a try. In the past I've used the Peltor TEP-100's, the Westons, Sordins, and currently using Peltor Com Tacs. The electronic in ear models I've tried in the past, I've never really been satisfied. They don't block brake/concussive well at all, but do work fine for suppressed or solo use. But not great on the public ranges. So I went back to foam plugs under Com Tacs.

I read through the entire thread, and I knew these weren't going to do much for concussive blast, but otherwise the copy read pretty optimistic. Unfortunately, these aren't going to make the cut for me either. For one, the charge pod won't charge on the right side unless you hold the earpiece down. If you let go, it loses contact and stops charging :(. They also appear to have a bit of delay, maybe .5 seconds, but enough to hear the shot and then hear the electronics choking it down. Not sure if that is typical with these, or I got a bad set - but I never had the delay issue with the TEP's or the Westons. FWIW I'm using the Comply foam tips linked earlier in the thread, although I can't image that would make a difference with the delay.

Had a 30-06 hunting rifle two stalls down from me that the OTTO's couldn't really block effectively. I then added my Com Tacs and it didn't really help much. We then moved to the pistol range, and they did do better there, was able to run them alone somewhat effectively against my and my buddies 9mm and 45, and doubling up was even better of course, but still had the slight delay.

For $400, I expected better. To me, they seem no better than the lower cost TEP-100's, and I would recommend those over these TBH. based on cost alone. The Westons I had were nice, but again still didn't do much for concussive and the batteries were a pain.

So, I think these are going back, and I'm just going to stick with foam under Electronic Headsets. There's not enough improvement to warrant the price here imo, when shooting around other folks. If your on your own land or everyone shooting suppressed ie in a class, etc. then they would work great (other than the delay), but so would most other less expensive in ear electronics whether it be TEP-100's, Westons, Walkers, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: joffe
the charge pod won't charge on the right side unless you hold the earpiece down. If you let go, it loses contact and stops charging :(. They also appear to have a bit of delay, maybe .5 seconds, but enough to hear the shot and then hear the electronics choking it down. Not sure if that is typical with these, or I got a bad set

FWIW, mine don't exhibit either of those problems.

I have contacted Amazon for a replacement, I will give them another try - maybe I just got a dud.

If Amazon fails you call Otto direct. The company I bought mine from told me I had to contact Otto, then when I contacted Otto they told me the retailer I bought them from was supposed to handle it. The retailer refused, and Otto handled it direct with me. I dealt with a very nice lady in at Otto. I shipped them, she called me when they received them, then called me a gain a couple of days later to let me know they were shipping the replacements back. Very good communication and customer service. I should still have the contact info for the lady at Otto. Send me a pm if you need it.

I have one of the Etymotic sets that got into the wild. One of the buds has started to crackle and pop. They are going back for evaluation. Has anyone else seen this?

I have one of the Etymotic sets that got into the wild. One of the buds has started to crackle and pop. They are going back for evaluation. Has anyone else seen this?

Did you try replacing the filter?
99% of the time when I discuss these with folks at matches, who say they stopped working, it's just a clogged filter. It takes a couple seconds to replace.
If that's not the case, I'm not sure what it is. Mine haven't experienced that issue.

My take on these... ordered a set from Amazon, figured I would give them a try. In the past I've used the Peltor TEP-100's, the Westons, Sordins, and currently using Peltor Com Tacs. The electronic in ear models I've tried in the past, I've never really been satisfied. They don't block brake/concussive well at all, but do work fine for suppressed or solo use. But not great on the public ranges. So I went back to foam plugs under Com Tacs.

I read through the entire thread, and I knew these weren't going to do much for concussive blast, but otherwise the copy read pretty optimistic. Unfortunately, these aren't going to make the cut for me either. For one, the charge pod won't charge on the right side unless you hold the earpiece down. If you let go, it loses contact and stops charging :(. They also appear to have a bit of delay, maybe .5 seconds, but enough to hear the shot and then hear the electronics choking it down. Not sure if that is typical with these, or I got a bad set - but I never had the delay issue with the TEP's or the Westons. FWIW I'm using the Comply foam tips linked earlier in the thread, although I can't image that would make a difference with the delay.

Had a 30-06 hunting rifle two stalls down from me that the OTTO's couldn't really block effectively. I then added my Com Tacs and it didn't really help much. We then moved to the pistol range, and they did do better there, was able to run them alone somewhat effectively against my and my buddies 9mm and 45, and doubling up was even better of course, but still had the slight delay.

For $400, I expected better. To me, they seem no better than the lower cost TEP-100's, and I would recommend those over these TBH. based on cost alone. The Westons I had were nice, but again still didn't do much for concussive and the batteries were a pain.

So, I think these are going back, and I'm just going to stick with foam under Electronic Headsets. There's not enough improvement to warrant the price here imo, when shooting around other folks. If your on your own land or everyone shooting suppressed ie in a class, etc. then they would work great (other than the delay), but so would most other less expensive in ear electronics whether it be TEP-100's, Westons, Walkers, etc.

Got the replacement pair - no charging issues with this one, but the core issue is the same - a "delay" in choking off the sound - almost sounds a like a loud ricochet that tapers off. Anyway, repeating myself, but I would choose the TEP's or Weston's over these, at least for the two unit's I've been able to try. 2nd pair is also going back and I'll stick with my comtacs/foam plugs.

PS - when powering off the electronics, the earplugs work very well. They have a great NRR with the comply foam tips. It's just the electronics that are disappointing for me.

Quick update for any inquiring minds...

Just sent in my set for replacement (purchased March, 2019). The charging port on one side wouldn't charge the earbud -- it was visible that the contacts weren't protruding enough from the case. No overt damage/trauma to the case so not quite sure what caused the failure.

The plus side is customer service did a great job. I emailed them on Monday, and had a prepaid shipping label within hours. Shipped out my defective set on Tuesday and had confirmation of my replacements being sent on Thursday (received Friday).

Alright, I've worn these things every day for a week, including a match on Saturday. Let me preface this by saying the nicest pair of ear pro I've used before these are some Howard Leight Impacts, so can't really compare with other higher end products. I install metal roofing on small buildings with an impact driver in an Indoor assembly line, so alot of noise where i work. I'm impressed with the electronics on these OTTOs, very nice to be able to block the harmful noises and still be able to have conversations/ talk on the phone.
Day 2 the foam tip of one of the optional earpieces separated from the sleeve it was glued onto, so moved to the extra silicone style plug. Not really impressed with the ends supplied with these, the foam tips are the most comfortable, but for me didn't hold up. The smallest of the silicone tips are still a little large for my ear canals, i have no idea who would be able to wear the large ones. Very nice they sent a few different styles along. I will be moving to a custom molded style plug for these shortly.
After wearing these a week solid (9hrs a day), i guess my ears got used to how the plugs feel? Discomfort is minimal now, still getting some custom molded tho. Still impressed with the sound quality on these, very clear.
Match day was awesome. 8 stages side by side, constant rifle fire, and no discomfort whatsoever. Very cool to now hear range commands and conversation clearly without wearing muffs. I can't stand muffs, can't get a good cheek weld and way too hot.
Best part is last, i charged the base up when i got the set, and after a week it's still showing 80% charge. The ear pieces were never lower than 50% charge after a 9hr work day, and match day (12hrs) they were showing 40%. So I'm going to see how long the base keeps a charge, so far alot longer than i expected!
Im far from any expert on audio devices as you can see, but I'm pumped about these things. Everything electronic is spot on, sound quality is great, suppression is great, battery side of things is better than expected, I'd buy again in a heartbeat. Just not sold on the ear tips, the only down fall to these. I'll quit rambling now.

I'll bump this old thread with a huge shout out to Otto's warranty center.

Around 3 months ago my ear pieces stopped holding a charge, went from holding charge all day to maybe an hr max. Also the rubber buttons had started degrading about a year ago (bought these in 2018, and they have a one year warranty).

A few weeks ago I got around to calling Otto to ask about repairing my set. Really nice lady looked me up in the system, seen i had purchased direct from them, told me they only had a one year warranty, and I had bought these in 2018.

We chatted a bit, and she said she'd make a phone call and get back with me.

Long story short, i got an RMA 2 weeks ago, sent my old set in, and received a brand new set today. Warranty expired 2yrs ago. Can't beat that for good customer service. Buy with confidence, and please support those that support us!