• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Piston 7.62 Recommendations?

Longs

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2009
TX
Looking to try a piston type AR. I'd like one in 7.62. Experiences with POF? Any others?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Piston 7.62 Recommendations?

Take a look at LWRC REPR, Larue OBR

What are you trying to do with the rifle? Range? Etc. Its purpose?

I have had a POF P-308 20" SPR for a little over a year now and it has been excellent. Sub-MOA accuracy, 100% reliable, excellent Rock 5R barrel, and it shoots great suppressed and with just a brake/adapter installed thanks to the 2-position gas piston plug. I have over 1k trouble-free rounds down range with zero complaints.

+ 1 on the LWRC. I've seen entire mag dumps on full-auto and the weapon broken open to hold the still-cool bolt in your hand. Try that with another AR!

Jeff
I'm looking for a general use rifle that's reasonably light (8-9 lb) and reasonably accurate. I'd use it for hog hunting and a general utility rifle. Maybe even shoot a couple of 3 gun matches with it. I'd use it out to 700 yards max (if it and me together can hold, say 2 MOA. ) Basically something to compete with my M1A, which I love, but I like the ergonomics and ease of optics mounting on the AR platform.

The piston type sounds good to me because of percieved reliability. I don't know if they are or aren't more reliable than a regular AR but I'm willing to buy one and find out for myself.

LMT is coming out with one that should be a very reliable weapon. No special barrels, but should be a shooter like the 223 version of the MRP. The barrels will change out in about 5 minutes and be as stiff a top end as any out there. About the same price as the POF, but will be a real battle rifle.

The LMT .308 MRP would be my pick since the British MOD did all the testing for me. (Though I do like the ambi bolt release on the POF). And it's pretty reasonably priced for a high end .308 AR.

However it is a DI gun rather than a piston if that's really a big deal to you, but I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually came out with a piston option which would be a breeze to swap out (as it is with the LMT .223 MRP).

Ideally I'd say wait for the Massoud but that could be years if ever based on the ACR debacle.

I got a REPR.. couldn't be happier with the fit and finsih.... shoots as good as it looks as well... nough said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff 03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at LWRC REPR, Larue OBR </div></div>The Larue is not a piston driven.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Larue is not a piston driven. </div></div>

Yep...the OBR is a DI gas system.

This might be a little different, but maybe look at the FNAR. It is a piston driven 7.62, based on the reliable as hell BAR system. It comes in 16" and 20" configurations. It has a hammer forged match grade barrel and nice trigger. Many reviews have been done which show this to be sub 1/2 MOA out of the box. You really cant ask for more out of a semi. Hell most bolt guns would love to be sub 1/2MOA.

Both my best friend and i have fun and love love these guns. At 400yards when i do my work, i can easily accomplish 1/2MOA and i am sure better can be done with a better shooter. And at ~$1200 it is a deal hard to pass up. The next piston 308 is a POF @$2500 and REPR at $3500 (which i think is a rip off) at that price.

FNAR Review

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking to try a piston type AR. I'd like one in 7.62. Experiences with POF? Any others?

Thanks for any help. </div></div>

I run a 16" LWRC REPR and am very pleased with it. Accuracy is great and hardly ever have to clean it. It shoots well suppressed, almost as accurate as my bolt guns in 308.

I happen to have a spare for sale!
smile.gif

Alpha,
thanks for mentioning the FNAR. I have a bit of experience there. My bud took one to a 4-day LRI class, didn't clean it, break it in lube it, or anything. Just shot 400 rounds at distances up to 1000 yd. It'd do about .75 moa with the only ammo we tried(Tubbs 175 SMK load). Great rifle based on that limited test. So I'm already sold on that system, except for the rear stock. I have to add quite a bit of height to line up properly with the scope. We built a field expedient duct tape job to get through the class, but one of the Karsten kydex cheek pieces would probably work.

I am sure you know that the FNAR comes with multiple shims, and attatchnents to change LOP, cant and cheek weld. Between my best friend and I and two other people I know I have not heard of anyone not finding a combination that didn't fit.

As far as cleaning u are right. I have over 600 rnds thru mine without any cleaning. I just want to see when I will get the first failure.