• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Questions about buying online

Jmartin2076

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Washington
So I have finally started to get the funds together to start buying parts for my first rifle build. I have found some things in the for sale forums here that I would like but I have never spent a large amount of money online with a private seller. My question is what method do you use to make sure you don't get hosed buying online? I would not worry as much if the sellers had people vouching for them or a ton of posts but what if they have neither? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

For the MOST part, people here are pretty good. Long time member rate, as well as moderate post count shows someone who "could" be a stand up person.

(there are exceptions to every rule)

That being said, there are MANY here whom I've dealt with myself (see good-guy list) and at the same time EVERY VENDOR on this site, that I know of, Rocks.

You'd be surprised though, of the amount of stand-up people here. Policing ourselves IS the best way.

and I'll bet if a deal goes bad on here somebody lives near the seller and would be happy to investigate for you. Ultimately we just have to trust our fellow hiders to do the right thing. I have bought numerous items from here (also accurateshooter & thehighroad) and the only thing I got burned on was a $15 powder scale a long time ago. Be careful and enjoy some good deals!

Low post count, and new member: Avoid, without references and/or further knowledge.

Low post count, and 'older member': Investigate history, references, and ask around. Shout box, maybe?

Either way, go with your gut, your needs, and your most covered payment manner. I'm thinking that "Paypal" could be done, using a credit card, but you're risking both sides if it is firearm related. Which brings you back to the beginning.

There are some folks here, who'll send a scope when the deal is made, and the package will cross paths in the postal train while your personal cheque is enroute. There are others who'll wait for certified cheques and bank-drafts to clear, before sending the package. These are all details that you make, in the 'deal' process.

And anything in between.

personally, I have never heard of someone sending partial equipment when the deal is made. I am not saying it doesnt happen but definately dont expect that.