• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56

Sucks Im going to a school in two weeks and was hoping to get one of these. I guess ill use my old Razor. I need two of these bad boys.

I've heard from a reliable source that these won't be shipping till at least June.
Yeah that's what I was told straight from the company, June ETA. As long as this doesn't turn into a BEAST thing where I'm waiting a year from now

Thought I would share this quote:
"Unless there is something catastrophic I missed, Vortex just threw a bit of a monkey wrench into the high end tactical world...

S&B, Hensoldt, etc have largely moved their prices north of the $4k mark, so they better have something up their sleeve to explain why they are that much better than the competition"
ILya Koshkin
From Opticstalk

I have been planning on getting a ATACR but am holding off ever since I saw this at SHOT. I really like the reticle in MOA and the weight isn't a concern for my use. Only two things bother me.
First is that I don't hold over much in elevation so I am constantly turning the knob. Having to unlock it all the time seems a hassle. I know you can leave it the unlocked position but that looks weird. Just don't care for it. Never had the need for locking turrets.
So here's a question for the tactical shooters, during the stages do you accidentally move the turret so much you need locking turrets or is there a reason I'm missing,?
Second, I guess I don't have much faith in projected release dates. If I remember right when Vortex released their PST line It took longer than they extamated and this seems par for the course nowadays with many manufacturers. I would be pleasantly surprised if we see this before the end of the year.

I have been planning on getting a ATACR but am holding off ever since I saw this at SHOT. I really like the reticle in MOA and the weight isn't a concern for my use. Only two things bother me.
First is that I don't hold over much in elevation so I am constantly turning the knob. Having to unlock it all the time seems a hassle. I know you can leave it the unlocked position but that looks weird. Just don't care for it. Never had the need for locking turrets.
So here's a question for the tactical shooters, during the stages do you accidentally move the turret so much you need locking turrets or is there a reason I'm missing,?
Second, I guess I don't have much faith in projected release dates. If I remember right when Vortex released their PST line It took longer than they extamated and this seems par for the course nowadays with many manufacturers. I would be pleasantly surprised if we see this before the end of the year.

I don't know about you but when I am using the scope I am not worried about how the elevation knob looks. It lifts up like 1/8" and doesn't change the look of the knob drastically. Look back at the video on page 1. It moves less than other locking turrets I have seen and used. Put a couple picks down below as well. First is locked and second unlocked.

Having a locking knob is a big advantage. More than once I have had to throw my rifle on my back and move and when I pulled it off one or both knobs have been bumped. I really like the idea of a locking knob for certain stages. I really like the locking windage knob as I set my windage when zeroing and then hold for wind corrections.

As for release date, that's something that's out of all our hands. Just have to hope for the best. That's what I am doing.

Attachments

• Razor II locked.PNG
    Razor II locked.PNG
    88.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Razor II unlocked.PNG
    Razor II unlocked.PNG
    89.7 KB · Views: 21

The locking knobs on these look nicer to use the other scopes, definitely looks like a one handed operation.

I have a feeling this scope will be impossible to beat in this price range. I know the scope isn't out yet, but I think Vortex is about to hit a Grand Slam Home Run with this optic. Not only that but has a great warranty and customer service as well. There is just no downside. If ya want to spend another 2k to get another 10% optically and ya got the cash go ahead. I own an S&B and love it, but I'm sure I'd be just as happy with this scope if I never looked thru and S&B.

Funny, I've been a die hard S&B guy for about 6 years now and consider myself to be very brand loyal. In that time, a lot of scopes have come along to compete against the 5-25x56 but within a few minutes looking over specs, quickly dismissed them and carried on with S&B.

This is the first scope that has peaked my interest in a long time. Picked up a Vortex monocular off the prize table at the OR Sniper Challenge and was duly impressed. Scott's a fellow competitor that I also respect.

I guess June can't come quick enough to give one a try....

I couldn't take it any longer, so called EuroOptic today and preordered this today in the MRAD version with the EBR-2C reticle. I know I'm nuts since I have only 3 rifles and already have S&Bs in 20X and 25X and Marchs in 24X and 40X all in mrad. Loved my Vortex Razor HD 5-20X with EBR-2B reticle.

Got to play with the new Vortex at a factory demo table at the local toy store today. It is indeed a nice optic and I really liked the turrets and feel of the scope. Couldn't get much feel for the glass by holding it and looking around the fluorescent lit room. I'm looking for a new optic to pick up in 2-4 months or so and this is a contender. It's going to be a choice between it , Kahles , Steiner or the elusive Beast. Decisions, decisions.

Can't wait for this thing to hit... I get more and more excited as the days go on!

Going to be an amazing scope!

Has anyone heard anything more on these? Vortex's site went from showing coming in the summer to coming soon. Leads me to think they may be delayed...

Still summer from what I am told.

The Premier Heritage 3-15X[50] Gen 2 XR was different...

I was just looking at the reticle options. Both 1c and 2c have line thickness of .03mrad.

Gen2 xr has line thickness of .04mrad, and a lot of people, myself included, find that to be way to thin.

Any thoughts on that?

I thought the Gen II XR has .025mrad line thickness!! .03mrad thickness of the 1c and the 2c will be perfect on a 27x ffp scope for precision shooting.
How does the optics of the scope handle being cranked up 27x? does it darken up etc??

You are correct, I don't know WTF I was looking at when I quoted .04mrad.

Still, .025 is too thin to me, I'm not sure .03 is going to be enough extra thickness to get it where it needs to be to suit my fancy.

I agree that .025-.035 is a great place to be for 25x high precision shooting. However it is useless below about 8x, and even then is really thin.

I know I've come to this party late, and I don't want to derail the thread - but for the sake of enlightenment in regard to the line width/thickness of the Gen 2 XR HodgdonExtreme is correct within a certain context. There is one scope model where the Gen 2 XR's line width/thickness is .04 MIL (.144" at 100 yards). That scope is the Premier Reticles Heritage 3-15X[50]. Most people probably aren't aware of this. However, the Gen 2 XR reticle in the Premier Reticles Heritage 5-25X[56] has a line width/thickness of .025 MIL (.075" at 100 yards).

Schmidt Bender PMII's equipped with the Gen 2 XR reticle (PMII 5-25X[56] and PMII 4-16Xs') all have a line width/thickness of .025 MIL (.075" at 100 yards).

As far as .025 MIL (.075" at 100 yards = .750" at 1,000 yards) being too thin, that is a matter of the type of shooting the user will be using the scope for the majority of the time. The Gen 2 XR excels at high precision shooting - IMO the 5-25X[56] is the best FFP reticle for high precision shooting, bar none. Even though it's a FFP reticle it's still more fine than a lot of SFP reticles. But the trade-off is that at low magnification and/or in low light the reticle can indeed be hard to see. It's obvious that for hunting and tactical comps there are much better reticles.

Keith

No changes from a week ago that I have heard. Still summer, June/July.

I have two sets of Seekins rings waiting to do the same thing when my two show up.

I have two sets of Seekins rings waiting to do the same thing when my two show up.

Haha... I've been buying shit like crazy for my GAP Rifle that I won't get for another 5-7 months, luckily a rifle is not like a woman and I won't have to return have the shit I bought in advance!

At least we all have other toys to play with in the mean time!

Haha... I've been buying shit like crazy for my GAP Rifle that I won't get for another 5-7 months, luckily a rifle is not like a woman and I won't have to return have the shit I bought in advance!

At least we all have other toys to play with in the mean time!

Yeah, I'm doing the same thing. Ordered my GAP10 last August and have been stocking up on match grade ammo ever since. I also ordered my Razor HD a month ago. Hopefully the rifle and scope will show up about the same time.

Anymore information from the past couple weeks?

June / July is coming up quick!

I just placed my preorder and Scott at liberty said June-August. They still have spots left for their first batch. He's an awesome guy to deal with and answered all my questions and quickly at that.

I had a chance to do a little glassing with the Gen 1 and the NF ATACR. I really do believe that the 5-20X Gen 1 had the ATACR in clarity. But these things are VERY subjective.
#1- Neither units were mine and it was in the middle of a 600yd shoot I was running targets for, so I did not dare adjust the diopters.
#2- Neither units were "cloudy" at full magnification. At least not in the sense I am used to from playing with previous Viper PST.

I don't think I'd be wanting to tote either of these units in a long hunt. I should probably start another thread before I go asking for recommendations between this and the already existing 5-20X.

BTW, I ditched the PST at decent resale based on the fact that I knew nothing but a $2K+ optic was going to step up to this catagory. This was shortly after I lost my mentor and spotter last Fall to cancer. I don't think another spotter will be in the cards for me. Not for a long time at least. Maybe during XR training this Fall, I might try working with another. But it will never be the same and I developing hand loads will definitely be solo work from here on out. The only good way I can get my edge back here is to invest in decent glass.

Ordered the 18 MOA AI mount for my new AI AXMC 308, hopefully, will be arriving in the next 2-3 weeks. Going to mount this Baby on her first and if not near equal to my S&B 5-25X MSR, will be mounting that on the MC's 20 MOA rail. What's not to love with this sport!

I was ready to pull the trigger on another Nightforce and get the ATACR but this scope has me really thinking hard now. I cant wait to hear some reveiws on it.

No kidding, me too saw a Gen1 and was blown away how easy it was to use and super clear. Looking forward to possibly owning one.

tagged

Cant wait to check out this optic in person. Looks like everything I've been wanting in an optic. I've gotten some amazing deals on my PST scopes in the past, I wonder how long before the prices get a little looser.

I ordered my Gen II Razor HD 4.5-27 today. For good measure I ordered a PST 1-4 as well. That's a large chunk of change so I sure do hope this optic is as good as it's reviews claim it is. Does anyone have a time frame on deliveries yet?

Don't forget the new Tangent Theta. It is going to be very nice. Check out the "new postings" under the 2014 Best Scope Shootout Thread.
Funny, I've been a die hard S&B guy for about 6 years now and consider myself to be very brand loyal. In that time, a lot of scopes have come along to compete against the 5-25x56 but within a few minutes looking over specs, quickly dismissed them and carried on with S&B.

This is the first scope that has peaked my interest in a long time. Picked up a Vortex monocular off the prize table at the OR Sniper Challenge and was duly impressed. Scott's a fellow competitor that I also respect.

I guess June can't come quick enough to give one a try....

Almost July... Any news?

They are shipping the first run. Dealers are getting them. Probably depends on where you are on the preorder list. Got mine the other day and I ordered in early January.

Anyone know of a site where we can pre-order?

No need to pre order anymore. They are out there and being delivered. Check with any of the Hide sponsors who sell optics. Most have or will have them soon.

For those of you that have received the Gen II, could you possibly answer a question for me?

Between the Nightforce ATACR (MOA) and the Gen II 4.5-27 (MOA), which do you think is a better scope? Is the glass quality between the two comparable? Or does one stand out above the other?

My application is more Hunting than Target shooting. Which would you recommend?

I am leaning towards the Vortex, due to the abundance of features (locking turrets, FFP, etc) and the fact that they have a lifetime warranty (biggest selling point for me, especially for a scope in this price range).

For those of you that have received the Gen II, could you possibly answer a question for me?

Between the Nightforce ATACR (MOA) and the Gen II 4.5-27 (MOA), which do you think is a better scope? Is the glass quality between the two comparable? Or does one stand out above the other?

My application is more Hunting than Target shooting. Which would you recommend?

I am leaning towards the Vortex, due to the abundance of features (locking turrets, FFP, etc) and the fact that they have a lifetime warranty (biggest selling point for me, especially for a scope in this price range).
I think you'll find the Vortex very heavy for a hunting. You would be much more well served with the ATACR from all the reviews I have read.

I think you'll find the Vortex very heavy for a hunting. You would be much more well served with the ATACR from all the reviews I have read.

Yeah, the weight was one thing that had me slightly concerned. But I figured that the 10 oz. difference between the two was not that much, so I did not think about it too much.

Aside from the weight difference, do you think the NF has better glass than the Vortex?

I know that NF is well known for their durability, but I do think that the peace of mind you get with the Vortex Lifetime Warranty is really a nice. Especially at the price they are at, having that warranty really makes it easier to spend that much money. While a NF probably won't break, if it does, you can be left up sh*t creek without a paddle. But if the Vortex has something go wrong, you really don't have to worry about it.

I have been searching around for comparisons/reviews but all you mostly find are fan-boy arguments (Mostly NF Fan-boys) for one or the other. I read Ilya's review that is linked in this thread, but it did not speak much on comparison to other scopes.

Anyone receive tracking last week for their Vortex 4.5-27? Was supposed to have one coming this week but my Vortex dealer said delay 7-10 days. Did anyone else experience this or was I just bumped till the next batch arrives?