• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloader-17 updates? (MORE RESULTS! > 308 Win.)

Re: Any Reloader-17 updates?

I've got my ladder test rounds loaded up and i'm going to hopefully make it to the range tomorrow, but Sunday for sure. I only shoot 3rd groups on my ladder tests so I can't post pics, but i'll let you know group sizes and what not and pressure sign indications.

Branden

Try using a drop tube. You will be surprised how the powder settles into the case yielding more usable capacity without compression.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With a long throat and/or VLDs, it may work great.</div></div>

on and off topic..... this statement could be sooo wrong in sooo many ways!!! ;-D

Got out today to put some rounds downrange, the new 208's shot alright, my first group (actually the 4th of the day) out of the chute was .320", then in my excitement I shot a (5)1.049", followed by (6).830, (7).776, and (8).757.

Groups 6, and 7 had horizontal stringing, very little vertical spreads on those, virtually none on group 7 (.776), and group 8 was a perfect triangle, when I say perfect, I mean it, I measured all 3 sides to check.

Recoil wasn't much more than the 178's, however the 178's that I shot today were showing pressure signs as they heated up, stiff bolt lift and ejector marks on the case head were the clues. The new powder seems to make the rifle recoil different, the impulse just feels different, more pushy, than punchy (to use technical terms).

I just can't seem to get a consistent hold on those benches. Can't wait to do more shooting in the prone.

I don't personally own a chrono, i'm trying to acquire a buddies to borrow for a while so I don't have any velocity data.
frown.gif
One thing I want to ask, all the groups are fairly decent for the most part, however since I don't have chrono data to help with my decision, should I pick the groups that have the least amount of vertical spread to further develop? I've been reading how the nut behind the rifle is the one that causes the horizontal stringing, and the vertical is usually the ammo.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snip

I don't personally own a chrono, i'm trying to acquire a buddies to borrow for a while so I don't have any velocity data.
frown.gif
One thing I want to ask, all the groups are fairly decent for the most part, however since I don't have chrono data to help with my decision, should I pick the groups that have the least amount of vertical spread to further develop? I've been reading how the nut behind the rifle is the one that causes the horizontal stringing, and the vertical is usually the ammo.

Branden </div></div>

I'm in the same boat, and I'm also shooting in variable winds that I can't read very well. I'm considering increasing the number of groups shot to three or four, and only judging the load based on the average vertical spread. My hope is that three or four groups will average out my inconsistency and show the true comparative accuracy of the load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: runngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snip

frown.gif

Branden </div></div>

I'm in the same boat, and I'm also shooting in variable winds that I can't read very well. I'm considering increasing the number of groups shot to three or four, and only judging the load based on the average vertical spread. My hope is that three or four groups will average out my inconsistency and show the true comparative accuracy of the load. </div></div>

I saw that you're at Fort Lost in the Woods. My Brother in law just got stationed there waiting to get his first command (Captain). Are you going to the F-class match in September?

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I totally missed that post, sorry about that. What is the load data that you used to get 2550? How much powder, and what case and primer? I'm going to run out tomorrow and get all the components together. I don't have any books with the loading data for that bullet, they're too old, and the hodgdon site only goes up to some 200gr SP bullet for their loading data.

Branden </div></div>
No problem
Use this at your own risk
LC LR brass or lapua
Start at 45.8 and work up to 46 - 46.5 RL17
208/210 seated long as you can
210m primer

I am at 46.5 and 2550fps no pressure in the mid 80's with my 18.5" barrel and 2600fps same load with my 26" barrel..

On the 18.5" barrel gun at 2550fps I back tracked it from the come ups at 565 and 1k I must do a box test and Crony the load to verify it 100%,But I think it will show its true. </div></div>

Scope was not tracking true on the 18.5" 308,The load above is going 2470 fps..

That's still pretty darn good. I went up to 48.5gr yesterday and still didn't get any pressure signs. Hopefully the next time I go out i'll have a chrono so I can get some valuable data other than just group size.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's still pretty darn good. I went up to 48.5gr yesterday and still didn't get any pressure signs. Hopefully the next time I go out i'll have a chrono so I can get some valuable data other than just group size.

Branden </div></div>

I have no sighn of pressure eather in my short barrel,But I am at max with my 26" gun at 46.5 now,I will up it a little and see where I get with the 18.5" gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's still pretty darn good. I went up to 48.5gr yesterday and still didn't get any pressure signs. Hopefully the next time I go out i'll have a chrono so I can get some valuable data other than just group size.

Branden </div></div>

I have no sighn of pressure eather in my short barrel,But I am at max with my 26" gun at 46.5 now,I will up it a little and see where I get with the 18.5" gun.

</div></div>

Did you run your 46.5gr loads over a chrono with the 26" rifle? What were the results if you did?

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's still pretty darn good. I went up to 48.5gr yesterday and still didn't get any pressure signs. Hopefully the next time I go out i'll have a chrono so I can get some valuable data other than just group size.

Branden </div></div>

</div></div>

Did you run your 46.5gr loads over a chrono with the 26" rifle? What were the results if you did?

Branden </div></div>No chrony just a known tracking scope and 100 zero back tracking was 2600fps..

I was having issues finding the load for my 243AI. I had GAP recut the chamber and it uses a Hart 1-10 twist 23 inch barrel.

I loaded up some 80grain Berger match bullets and used 46.5 grains of RL 17. I put 10 shots out of it. Fist 2 were touching at 1/2" high. Made correction and put 8 rounds in a ragged hole on the X. I brought the target home show the wife!!lol The chronograph showed a average of 3378fps about 10' from the muzzle. It really likes this load and there are no real signs of pressure except a little black around the neck. Very little but it is noticable. I may try the 88 grain bullets since I have a 1-10 twist barrel instead of 1-12.

Will the 1-10 twist rate slow the bullet down? Seems like they should be faster as compared to others. Should I take the powder charge up or will is just erode the throat faster?

I am now using RE-17 in my 308...Remmy 700 PSS with a rock 20" bbl with a 1-11.25 twist. I am using Lapua 308 brass with a 2.005 trim, BR2 primmers and SIR 2156's seated to 2.825. Load is 51.5 but I have used 52.0...Primmers are a little flat, but still have roundness at the edges with a visable gap between the primer and pocket. recoil is sharp but managable...Velocity is 2830-2850...I broke 2900 with the 52.0 charge, but case is filled to the top and is very compressed when bullet is seated. Accuracy at 100 was sub 1/2 MOA...no other pressure signs noted at 51.5....I have to trickle powder very slowly into the case to get it compressed down...

When I was using RE15, I was only getting velocities of 2600-2800 depending on temp...it appeared that RE15 was very temp sensitive with a high of 2880 in the summer using 46.2gr to a low of 26--at 30 something degrees (don't recall the actual velocity)....So far, I am not seeing any drammatic swings in velocity with the RE17 although I have only been shooting it the past 2 weeks or 3 sessions, so not a lot of data...

I did shoot at Cuyama at 800-1000 and I was geting vertical stringing of 4-5 inches at 800-1000 but it was also blowing 8-12mph wind...Overall I am impressed with RE17 and I will continue to shoot it attempting to find the perfect load

Guys, I think I posted this in the wrong thread... Sorry, but here it is.

FWIW, this report is a test comparing RL 17 to Varget with 175 SMK's;

.308 Win, 20" BBL
Remington Brass
Comparator OAL: 2.228" (.002" from Lands)
56 Degrees F, 45% Humidity, 2500 MSL

Varget:
41.0 2446
41.5 2473
42.0 2572
42.5 2558
43.0 2552
43.5 2626
44.0 2660
44.5 2666
45.0 2704
45.5 2722

No signs of excessive pressure with the exception of slightly dimpled primers starting at 44.5 grains.

RL 17
46.5 2563
47.0 2570
47.5 2600
48.0 2628
48.5 2648
49.0 2640
49.5 2688
50.0 2709 (Slightly Compressed)
50.5 2729 (Same)
51.0 2756 (Same) Not quite 100% fill.

No signs of excessive pressure, however when I used Lapua cases with that same ladder test, started to see excessive pressure signs at 50 grains. Seems to deliver extremely uniform results. Plan on running that same test with Federal and Winchester cases.

Hi WOJ8541 -

I look forward to seeing you this September for one of your Precision Rifle 1 courses. I actually came upon this thread while looking for a load for my 308 for that course. I am thinking of some Berger 168 VLDs with either Varget or RL-17. I know your site says you don't like the FGMM for the longer ranges, and i am hoping to find a single "do it all" load.

With Re17
I got 3000 fps 150 gr 270 22" barrel.
I got 3225 fps 130 gr 270 22" barrel.
I would have bet money that was not possible.

Canadian Gun Nuts post by Kombayotch 11-10-2010 about Re17 308 loads vs temp:
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532805&page=2

The take home message for me would be that Re17 must be backed off an extra 150 fps for safety margin for hunting, and loads would have to be used for a specific temp in competition.