• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rem. 300WM Upgrade Advice

Mchase

Private
Minuteman
I just got a screaming deal on a Rem. 700 LR in 300 WM

I’d like to give it a few upgrades and would like to keep them at about $1000 +/-

I’m thinking bottom metal, barrel, blueprinting the action. Any advice in this area would be appreciated.

what is your intended use? either way guess i'd shoot it first and see how it performs against your needs, before dropping money in it.

what is your intended use? either way guess i'd shoot it first and see how it performs against your needs, before dropping money in it.

Hey thanks for the reply. Just plinking steel. We have a 1100 range not far from here. I know it’s not necessary at all, but I saved a lot so don’t mind spending a little to get it a notch above stock.

Reactions: GhostFace
Recommend you shoot it. Hopefully you won't need to have the chamber polished or the bolt handle timed. Should you need modifications, Dave Tooley and/or Dan Armstrong should be able to assist you.

Reactions: Mchase
while i cant tell you how to set yours up....i can tell you what i did to mine.

Rem 700 LR 300 win mag
XLR evolution chassis
Timney CE 2 stage
badger rail and rings
recut the crown

its shooting around 1 MOA with FGMM

ide suspect youd get the same results with a well bedded stock

truing the action and spinning on a quality barrel will probably get you some pretty good accuracy.....my buddies 700 is shooting a reliable .5 moa with a trued action and a bartlein barrel......thats likely going to eat up the majority of your $1K budget.

but definatelly shoot it first.....no need spinning on a new barrel and doing a bunch of work if the rifle already shoots pretty damn good.

I have a Remington 700 Long Range in 7RM and really like it. It shot under an MOA with the factory Hornady 162 grain ELD-X ammo out of the box and it is a real hammer on whitetail at longer ranges.

Mine has a Timney two stage and is at the smith now having the bolt handle and muzzle threaded for a knob and brake, flush cups installed, and magpul dbm installed. Can’t wait to get it back. If I ever shoot this barrel out I’d love to have the action true’d and go with a Bartlein chambered in 30-06.

Glad I didn’t get the Sako A7 Roughtec Range that I was considering now as the Remington barrel shoots just fine at half the price.

Attachments

• 223B7B34-6BB3-4D79-9659-732210D9C03F.jpeg
    223B7B34-6BB3-4D79-9659-732210D9C03F.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
If you are looking for a good test round, try the Hornady 200 grain ELD-X. Hornady rates it at 2850 fps from a 24 inch barrel. My chrono average from my 24 inch was 2850. BC 0f 626.

If you want to start, I second starting with the trigger. I am no fan of the X Mark pro, but I have had ones that were reasonable.
This model has been problematic for Remington, I fear that you may have gotten a smoking deal because it doesn't shoot worth a shit.
You CAN true the action face and mating surfaces, set the barrel back and install a quality recoil lug.
This will typically net an increase in accuracy and consistency.
Many folks say it is a waste of time, some say it can be worth the effort. tac-ops and short action customs used to have accuracy packages that did just that and they were quite popular.
For around 700 you can have the action trued and a very high quality barrel installed.

If you want to start, I second starting with the trigger. I am no fan of the X Mark pro, but I have had ones that were reasonable.
This model has been problematic for Remington, I fear that you may have gotten a smoking deal because it doesn't shoot worth a shit.
You CAN true the action face and mating surfaces, set the barrel back and install a quality recoil lug.
This will typically net an increase in accuracy and consistency.
Many folks say it is a waste of time, some say it can be worth the effort. tac-ops and short action customs used to have accuracy packages that did just that and they were quite popular.
For around 700 you can have the action trued and a very high quality barrel installed.

Any recommendations on people who do packages like this?

The kid selling it says it’s never been fired, and it hasn’t from my amateur inspection. I was in the gun store when he was trying to sell it, he was getting lowballed cause he rattle canned it.

If it turns out I’ve gotta rebuild the whole thing, so be it I guess.

If you’re happy with a Remington 700 action, I wouldn’t waste time and money messing with the factory barrel. If the factory barrel shoots, then enjoy. If not, just order the parts and do a remage or have a good smith spin you up a barrel that will shoot. If you go that route, decide whether you want to keep the factory action threads or not to be able to do a remage barrel in the future because a lot of Smith’s do new larger threads when blueprinting so it's something to be aware of.

Any recommendations on people who do packages like this?

The kid selling it says it’s never been fired, and it hasn’t from my amateur inspection. I was in the gun store when he was trying to sell it, he was getting lowballed cause he rattle canned it.

If it turns out I’ve gotta rebuild the whole thing, so be it I guess.
I don't know of any that offer it as a package.
If you have a local smith, you could talk to them about it.
not all smiths recut the threads, there are some that believe that it is one of those things that smiths have convinced folks that it needs to be done as a means of increasing revenue, then there are those that insist that it must be done.

What you need to do, is decide how much you are willing to invest.
You can only do so much to correct a poorly cut chamber, remington barrels have a good reputation for accuracy, though they are not on the same level as a quality aftermarket barrel. If the chamber is concentric, you can frequently improve accuracy by squaring up the face of the action, the bolt, using a high quality recoil lug and squaring up the barrel shoulder.
But then, you are almost to a complete action truing, missing only the single point cutting of the threads and a new barrel.
If it shoots well enough for you now, rock on.
The 300 Wm has a fairly short barrel life.
When it is shot out, take that opportunity to send it to a competent smith and have it blueprinted and rebarreled.
What you may find, is that by the time you shoot the barrel out, you wished for a different chambering, or something new and shiny comes out.

LRI will
Accurize and true it with new barrel but it’s around $2200 I think. Best in the biz.

I ended up putting a Timney trigger in mine, added a Harris bipod, a Magpul hunter stock for the R700 LA, and an APA Little Bastard muzzle brake. I bought my chambered in 300wm. I got it for under $700 out the door brand new, I just couldn't pass it up.
Best thing of all is it shoots one MOA or better at times with Remington 180gr CORELOKT'S!! I can't believe I found a gun that loves the cheap stuff ??
(I hand load too when I can don't worry)