• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 VTR or SPS tactical

gnappi

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2012
I have three fine .308's (don't need another) but I want a bolt .223.

Does anyone have a VTR or SPS in .223 that they can comment about? Y'know, accuracy, bullet weights they like, etc.

I know that there are others to choose from but I've zeroed on these two and need opinions from owners of these.

TIA,

Gary

Re: Remington 700 VTR or SPS tactical

I have the sps varmint 1:12 twist and it loves the 52gn smk's over benchmark. Also off the shelf 55gn'rs do quite well. If you want to shoot the heavies then the sps-T 1:9 twist has the shorter 20" bbl.

As for the VTR, I could never see myself owning on. Just not me. I understand the port's purpose just that if you need a brake, get one installed. Plus not sure about aftermarket stocks and stuff.

Same aftermarket stocks as every other 700. The VTR's triangle barrel bothers me, but it's your dime.

You're guna want to go with a heavier twist than the 1-12 so it can handle the heavier pills. I shoot the savage 10fp 1-9 and it does great with harnady 75's at 600. If you're stuck on Remington, go with the tactical.

Niles,

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I don't mind a persnickity rifle... my 10BA / .308 took a few weeks to find a good load for it.

As far as the barrel shape goes, I don't give a hoot about the contour as long as it shoots. I saw a guy at the range with one in .308 and he got bored making one hole @ 100.

I also like the 1 in 9 twist for heavier bullets.