• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

**ROUND2 !!**, (100YARD), Semi-Auto, 6group, 30round SHOOTOUT!

Post your results regardless of your outcome. All info is good info.

This ^
I'd love to know how many of these targets have been shot and never posted because they're not going to make the top 10....hell, the leader board is just one part of this. It's good to see other load data and what's shooting well (or not so hot) in what rifles.

This was shot with a Colt CRP-18 .223 with 18" barrel. The scope is the SWFA 5-20x50 SS MRAD Mil/Mil. I was using Black Hills 77gr OTM in 2.23.

.989 + 1.011 + .762 + 1.353 + .919 + .832 = 5.868 / 6 = AVG .978
Smallest group was .762 Calipers were calibrated to .224.

IMG_20130703_183921_438.jpg

IMG_20130703_182942_146.jpg

IMG_20130624_184734_064.jpg

Once I use your reloading thread to do a load for this rifle, that group avg should get smauler.

Ohhhhhh lord..... I dont know about that! JK

Reloading is some serious trial and error type stuff. It will take time. You sould pm me some pics of your reloading set up!

Once I use your reloading thread to do a load for this rifle, that group avg should get smauler.

Wow! Thanks for the review of the Leupold. I am glad to hear your thoughts on it.

Sean

No problem, glad to be able to help. I'll probably be scoping my M1a at some point in the next year, and the Mark AR line will definitely be on my short list when it comes time to make that call.

I also shot this set of groups on 7/3/13 with my Larue OBR. I recently bought it from a guy here on snipershide, and I planned on selling my Colt CRP-18 (groups shown a few posts above this one). However, I haven't been able to get the LaRue to perform yet. At first I thought it was because it hadn't been broken in, but these groups were shot after the rifle had around 275 rounds down the tube. I did recently change my shooting form, based on advice I got from Lowlight and others in a different thread I started about "driving" gas guns and "loading bipods". However, I was using the same form when I got the Colt to average .978, so I don't think my form is a factor in not getting the LaRue to sub MOA. I'll post about it another thread though and get people's input.

LaRue OBR 5.56 with 18" barrel. The scope is a Vortex Razor 5 - 20, Mil/Mil. Ammo was Black Hills OTM 77 gr 5.56. I'll post a picture of the rifle a little later. I zeroed calipers at .224 to measure.

1.515 + 3.542 + 2.567 + 1.104 + 1.658 + 1.914 = 12.3/6 = AVG 2.05
Smallest group: 1.104

IMG_20130703_190433_116.jpg

IMG_20130703_190026_715.jpg

IMG_20130708_191432_666.jpg

Last edited:
In the post above, one of the groups had a serious "flyer" that caused it to be 3.542". That was pretty far outside the standard deviation of all the other groups, so I adjusted that one group assuming the flyer hit dead center to see what it would do to the overall average. It dropped the size of that group to 1.322, and dropped the overall average down to 1.68.

IMG_20130703_191626_688.jpg

hmmm.... that is strange..... if you have a friend that is a good shot, then maybe let him shoot maybe 3 total 5shot groups and see what he comes up with. Maybe even re-mount the scope just to make sure... or maybe a whole different scope all together if you have an extra one off another rifle.... I doubt it is the shooter and the ammo with an average over 2moa. Keep us updated friend.

I also shot this set of groups on 7/3/13 with my Larue OBR. I recently bought it from a guy here on snipershide, and I planned on selling my Colt CRP-18 (groups shown a few posts above this one). However, I haven't been able to get the LaRue to perform yet. At first I thought it was because it hadn't been broken in, but these groups were shot after the rifle had around 275 rounds down the tube. I did recently change my shooting form, based on advice I got from Lowlight and others in a different thread I started about "driving" gas guns and "loading bipods". However, I was using the same form when I got the Colt to average .978, so I don't think my form is a factor in not getting the LaRue to sub MOA. I'll post about it another thread though and get people's input.

LaRue OBR 5.56 with 18" barrel. The scope is a Vortex Razor 5 - 20, Mil/Mil. Ammo was Black Hills OTM 77 gr 5.56. I'll post a picture of the rifle a little later. I zeroed calipers at .224 to measure.

1.515 + 3.542 + 2.567 + 1.104 + 1.658 + 1.914 = 12.3/6 = AVG 2.05
Smallest group: 1.104

IMG_20130703_190433_116.jpg

IMG_20130703_190026_715.jpg

GAP is packed with 60 rounds. Heading out to the range right after work. Hopefully i'll have a target to post up tomorrow night. I have never shot under pressure so this will be interesting but fun. Can't wait.

Do you think you might have hit a bug on the way to the target? I have always wondered what effect a nat, misquito, bee, june bug, or cicada would have on a small light round like the .223.

GA Precision GAP-10, .308, 22" barrel, Bushnell HDMR, Federal GMM w/175gr SMK. High is 1.670", low is .671", average is 1.092".

I have shot better than this but today wasn't my day. I will get out and try again. One thing I need to work on is setting up behind the rifle on the bench, I can't seem to get comfortable. I have requested a Mail Call Monday from 8541 Tactical on the subject.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373406616623.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373406616623.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 32
  • uploadfromtaptalk1373406580574.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373406580574.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 31
  • uploadfromtaptalk1373406590684.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373406590684.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 27
GA Precision GAP-10, .308, 22" barrel, Bushnell HDMR, Federal GMM w/175gr SMK. High is 1.670", low is .671", average is 1.092".

I have shot better than this but today wasn't my day. I will get out and try again. One thing I need to work on is setting up behind the rifle on the bench, I can't seem to get comfortable. I have requested a Mail Call Monday from 8541 Tactical on the subject.

Nice shooting! As far as getting settled behind the rifle, have you subscribed to the online training offered here on SH? I found that watching those videos and practicing as recommended in them helped my form and my results considerably. Again, nice shooting and nice rifle!

Dude! That's awesome shooting and kick ass rifle. Got to love gaps and it looks like you got a real shooter on your hands. 3 out of 6 groups well under sub moa is not easy at all. Kick ass job and thanks for posting your results! Very nice!

Dude! That's awesome shooting and kick ass rifle. Got to love gaps and it looks like you got a real shooter on your hands. 3 out of 6 groups well under sub moa is not easy at all. Kick ass job and thanks for posting your results! Very nice!

As a side note, including those shots, I only have 260 rounds through a precision rifle. I know that the rifle and I are capable of better. Can't wait to try again.

Heydogman
100 yard 5 shot-6 group
Rifle:DPMS LR 6.5 CREEDMOOR
Scope:Sightron 24x
Protektor front & rear bags
Whidden FL bushing die,Wilson seater.
Target S,1and 2 Reloader 15,120 sierra FB,WLR
Target 3-40.0g 4007 ,CCI #34
4-40.5 4007
5-41 IMR 4007

Score:.771+.766+.749+.317+.333+.196 Agg:0.522

My first three shots with RE15 were in the mothball,the 4th disappeared so I thought it was in the same hole and 5th right above.It was a bad feeling to see the 4th up in the black.I don't know what happened on the second group,disgusted on blowing the first group or what.3rd group I sent two high again,thunderstorms were close and the barrel was getting real warm.
I stood the rifle up for 5 minutes to cool and the wind stopped blowing.Switched to 4007 and fired a couple sighters.It's around 90 so I fired once every 2 minutes and didn't blow a primer.

DSCF3290_zps5cc15fe9.jpg

DSCF3291_zps5b1fe6dc.jpg

DSCF3295_zpsa6ebc69e.jpg

Last edited:
OMG dude, that is sick! nice shooting and i'll get you updated on the boards once I'm done with the 5.56 accuracy journey being add to the OP this very second.

Heydogman
100 yard 5 shot-6 group
Rifle:DPMS LR 6.5 CREEDMOOR
Scope:Sightron 24x
Protektor front & rear bags
Whidden FL bushing die,Wilson seater.
Target S,1and 2 Reloader 15,120 sierra FB,WLR
Target 3-40.0g 4007 ,CCI #34
4-40.5 4007
5-41 IMR 4007

Score:.771+.766+.749+.317+.333+.196 Agg:0.522

My first three shots with RE15 were in the mothball,the 4th disappeared so I thought it was in the same hole and 5th right above.It was a bad feeling to see the 4th up in the black.I don't know what happened on the second group,disgusted on blowing the first group or what.3rd group I sent two high again,thunderstorms were close and the barrel was getting real warm.
I stood the rifle up for 5 minutes to cool and the wind stopped blowing.Switched to 4007 and fired a couple sighters.It's around 90 so I fired once every 2 minutes and didn't blow a primer.

DSCF3290_zps5cc15fe9.jpg

DSCF3291_zps5b1fe6dc.jpg

Holy crap man!!! That's some serious shooting there. You do know this is for gas guns....not bolt guns right?!?! I think you're rifle kind of like the IMR.

Is this still open, if so I'm gonna try, wont win, I'll be shooting iron sights with my WOA, from the setting rapid position. But I thin I can get 6 groups on a target.

it is totally open and everyone here would totally welcome your entry especially with iron sights! you would be the first person to do it = awesome!

Is this still open, if so I'm gonna try, wont win, I'll be shooting iron sights with my WOA, from the setting rapid position. But I thin I can get 6 groups on a target.

dammit heydogman.... very well done. i finally got my dpms 6.5 creedmoor built and broke in. i need to get to reloading and see if i can even come close. i was thinking it would make a great 300 gun but your groups at a hundred are something to be proud of.

In my opinion I think this might be a node :) .

At 45 degrees 41.8 worked good.Now at 90 degrees 41g is on the ragged edge.40.0 to 40.5 might have to do until winter.37.5g of RE15 worked well also until summer.H4350 rips off extractor heads,too slow for my rifle.

dammit heydogman.... very well done. i finally got my dpms 6.5 creedmoor built and broke in. i need to get to reloading and see if i can even come close. i was thinking it would make a great 300 gun but your groups at a hundred are something to be proud of.

It will make a great 300 & longer gun,no doubt about it.I have a buddy who shot IBS 100/200 benchrest with a 6.5-47 and did well.I fiquired the Creedmoor should work also.The Creedmoor is making a name in the 600/1000 benchrest.
Congrats on your rifle and shoot well.

heydogman, I got a question for you....

would you say your kick ass shots somewhat come from using a sandbag in the front / rear?? also, your front sandbag looks like you have a somewhat benchrest pad on it? you use no bipod right?

It will make a great 300 & longer gun,no doubt about it.I have a buddy who shot IBS 100/200 benchrest with a 6.5-47 and did well.I fiquired the Creedmoor should work also.The Creedmoor is making a name in the 600/1000 benchrest.
Congrats on your rifle and shoot well.

IMPROVED LaRue Groups

bluto77
Rifle: LaRue OBR 5.56 18" barrel
Scope: Vortex Rzr 5-20x50mm mil/mil
Ammo: Black Hills Match 77gr Hollow Point .223
Bench: Front and back bags
Average: 1.06
Best: .852

.911 + .852 + 1.633 + .881 + .931 + 1.124 = 6.36 / 6 = 1.06 Avg

IMG_20130714_015030_504.jpg

IMG_20130714_014128_581.jpg

IMG_20130708_191432_666.jpg

heydogman, I got a question for you....

would you say your kick ass shots somewhat come from using a sandbag in the front / rear?? also, your front sandbag looks like you have a somewhat benchrest pad on it? you use no bipod right?

I made a lot of changes at one time.Scope,bullet and bags.Thats a 2 1/2 inch wood box under the front bag,without it the rear bag is too high.A bag rider plate is installed on the forend because the tube is round.
I knew this rifle would shoot,tight neck and fast barrel but creates a hellva lot of pressure for the load.
Bags,it's a whole different ballgame than bipod.It also creates problems without a good front rest such as muzzle jump causing the shot to go high.Since I squeeze the rear bag (because there is no elevation adjustment on the front) even a heavy barrel rifle will jump if the sand gets hard,if the rifle has enough recoil.
My bipod stud was also drilled off center from the factory and once I installed the plate it was obvious.With a bipod the rifle would jump to the right,with bags it would track to the right creating horizontial until I redrilled the attachment point.
I know this is a tactical sight,but 5 shot groups is benchrest.There is a art to shooting bipod,also an art to shooting bags.The purpose of bags is more than support.With bags you want the rifle to recoil straight back,no or little restriction.you should be looking at the x ring after recoil.A rifle has recoil either to the rear ,side or up.
I got my ass waxed when I first switched to eared bags.Shooting in the .9's.Still working on it.
So yes,I say it helps IF you rifle is set up to ride the bags.
And no doubt I'll get my ass handed to me buy a bipod shooter.

Man, that is such good info. Thanks for sharing.

I made a lot of changes at one time.Scope,bullet and bags.Thats a 2 1/2 inch wood box under the front bag,without it the rear bag is too high.A bag rider plate is installed on the forend because the tube is round.
I knew this rifle would shoot,tight neck and fast barrel but creates a hellva lot of pressure for the load.
Bags,it's a whole different ballgame than bipod.It also creates problems without a good front rest such as muzzle jump causing the shot to go high.Since I squeeze the rear bag (because there is no elevation adjustment on the front) even a heavy barrel rifle will jump if the sand gets hard,if the rifle has enough recoil.
My bipod stud was also drilled off center from the factory and once I installed the plate it was obvious.With a bipod the rifle would jump to the right,with bags it would track to the right creating horizontial until I redrilled the attachment point.
I know this is a tactical sight,but 5 shot groups is benchrest.There is a art to shooting bipod,also an art to shooting bags.The purpose of bags is more than support.With bags you want the rifle to recoil straight back,no or little restriction.you should be looking at the x ring after recoil.A rifle has recoil either to the rear ,side or up.
I got my ass waxed when I first switched to eared bags.Shooting in the .9's.Still working on it.
So yes,I say it helps IF you rifle is set up to ride the bags.
And no doubt I'll get my ass handed to me buy a bipod shooter.

Elfster,when you shot the tiny group were you using a bipod,bags?Can you remember how it all came together?Relaxed or uptight?

It was with a 6-9" harris bipod somewhat loaded. The more i shoot the more i find how much the bipod or front bag really plays a huge factor. it wasnt until i switched out my LMT's bipod from 9-13" down to 6-9" did i finally shoot sub moa all day long... That tiny ass .179" group is not typical what so ever and it is the best 5shot group in my entire life. Those dont come too often. I will typically see groups from 1.25 down to .375 with my rock river. Groups under .375 with any of my semi autos is blue moon type stuff. You know you have a kick ass group in your 16x scope when youre not sure where the hell your shots are going. Lol ;)

Elfster,when you shot the tiny group were you using a bipod,bags?Can you remember how it all came together?Relaxed or uptight?

Shot with my Bushmaster Varminter/WOA 18" SPR 5.56 @ 100yards with folded harris bipod on front bag with rear sandsock/Prone.
Average = .6233"
Best group = .4385"
Rifle used = Bushmaster Varminter/WOA 18" SPR barrel
Barrel Length / Type = 18" SS WOA SPR profile barrel
Optics = mil/moa 2-10x32 Nightforce
Mount = LT SPR mount (can't remember model)

Shot with reloads
Once fired lake city 5.56 brass
Federal 205 Small Rifle primer
25g varget
77SMK bullet
2.260" coal

.7165 + .607 + .5025 + .4385 + .707 + .7685 = 3.739" / 6groups = .6233" average

I loaded 5 rounds at a time/came of the rifle for each group. I noticed my can loose when I finished even though I put a witness mark on it for that very reason. I also screwed myself by using a sharpy spot for a target. (I ran out of stickies) After the first shot on a few of the groups I couldn't tell which was the target and previous shot, so I aimed center mass of group.

Last edited:
holy crap! now that's some nice shootin! nice work and i'll get you on the top then soon.

nice rifle BTW!

Shot with my Bushmaster Varminter/WOA 18" SPR 5.56 @ 100yards with folded harris bipod on front bag with rear sandsock/Prone.
Average = .6233"
Best group = .4385"

Shot with reloads
Once fired lake city 5.56 brass
Federal 205 Small Rifle primer
25g varget
77SMK bullet
2.260" coal

.7165 + .607 + .5025 + .4385 + .707 + .7685 = 3.739" / 6groups = .6233" average

I loaded 5 rounds at a time/came of the rifle for each group. I noticed my can loose when I finished even though I put a witness mark on it for that very reason. I also screwed myself by using a sharpy spot for a target. (I ran out of stickies) After the first shot on a few of the groups I couldn't tell which was the target and previous shot, so I aimed center mass of group.

You're on the top ten! Nice work, and BTW..... you also made the "SHOOTS SUB-MOA ALL DAY LONG" board..... kick ass man!

Average = .6233"
Best group = .4385"

Thanks. Shitty thing is the 5 fouler rounds I launched were literally .25". I'm going to experiment by cleaning my rifle tonight and seeing how it goes for my first group on the next shoot. I could have taken my time, but the rain was moving in so I was fighting mirage from the barrel too :)

I forgot to mention this is actually my wife's rifle.

IMPROVED LaRue Groups
bluto,that's some good shootin.Your stock is less than ideal for shooting bags but 4 groups under MOA.Damn good!

Thanks man. It's starting to get a little more dialed in. I won't be happy with anything until all 6 of them are sub MOA though. All the different ammo I ordered last Monday to use on Saturday just arrived yesterday, so there should be a few other targets posted by next Monday, and I'm hoping one of them has all 6 groups sub MOA. Once I figure out which ammo/bullet weight the rifle likes (I'm trying FGMM 77gr and 69gr SMK's, Hornady 75gr BTHP, Copper creek 62gr AMAX), I'm going to start trying to get a load worked up. That should really help get me down below .75 and moving toward .5. Of course, at that point, shooter error becomes a much more serious issue, but i'm "working" on that too. I'm going to get a cantilever scope mount so it's only attached to the rifle above the action, but I don't think that's really causing any issues since it's all one long rail. Then after all that, I was thinking I might get a Magpul PRS since I'm only going to be shooting from the bench or prone with this, at least for awhile. Oh, looking into a different rear bag right now that is tall enough to adjust the elevation point of my aim by simply moving it forward and backward.

Knights Manufacturing Company SR25 EMR 20" Barrel w/Nightforce ATACR
Shot in the prone with a Harris bipod and Triad rear bag.
Ammo used was 175gr SMK reloads

Calipers zero'd on a .30 cal 175gr SMK bullet
Avg .854
Smallest .386

I was wondering where youve been ;)

Nice job and ill get you added to the boards later today

Avg .854
Smallest .386

You're on the board! nice work!

Avg .854
Smallest .386