• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sako 280AI Build

nutzo396

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2008
Cedar Springs, Michigan
Hi Guys. I am in the beggining stages of my first build and need a little guidance on some of the unknowns. I have a Sako AV action that it will be built on and a Mcmillan A2 coming. The rest is up in the air but I see it as a 8 or 9 twist 24inch barrel with a #9 contour. But here are my questions

1.What bottom metal is available? I have the original floorplate but would really like a detachable magazine.

2.Has anyone experianced feeding issues with the sharper shoulder of 280AI?

3. I see alot of guys have thier Win70 and Rem700 actions trued and blueprinted. Should I have something done to my Sako action?

Stiggy

Re: Sako 280AI Build

1. Surgeon has a long action DBM.

2. The 280 AI will feed just fine

3. Yes get the action trued.

Not sure if I would go the DBM route with what seems to be such a big heavy gun in the works. Long action DBM is big and bulky. I am not a huge fan of it at all. With the 280 AI you will be able to hold 4 down and one in the chamber. Now if you were building a 7 WSM you would need DBM. And the shot action DBM is way more user friendly IMO.

I have standard BDL bottom metal on my 280 AI. That will never change. I love it!!

If I was to stick with the BDL will I be able to to run 180's to the lands without single feeding? if you're using the 180's what is your OAL?

Load a round or 2 to a length that fits in your gun. Send them off to the builder and have the chamber throated to those rounds. On a custom build you can "have it your way".

.284 Win.

Or, .284 Shehane if you want to play.

Dude!
cool.gif

Then you could use my dies.
grin.gif

GAP built mine. I have only shot the 180 Berger VLDs. I have shot quite a few .25 5 shot groups with the gun. The gun is a true tackdriver.

180 VLD
Nosler Brass
CCI BR2
RL22 56.5 grains

I can seat my bullet in the lands. But my gun prefers to jump .024. I have put 900 rounds down the barrel so far. I am very happy with the load and will not be looking for anything diffrent.

.257, What is the length and twist of your barrel, Should I go with an 8 or 9(Krieger makes an 8.5 i see)? What kind of velocities are you getting with that load?

9-twist is all you need with the 180 VLD's.
8.5 will give you a margin for error, but you won't need it.