• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt & Bender "implosion"?

In optics, chromatic aberration (CA, also called achromatism or chromatic distortion) is a type of distortion in which there is a failure of a lens to focus all colors to the same convergence point. It occurs because lenses have a different refractive index for different wavelengths of light (the dispersion of the lens). The refractive index decreases with increasing wavelength.

Chromatic aberration manifests itself as "fringes" of color along boundaries that separate dark and bright parts of the image, because each color in the optical spectrum cannot be focused at a single common point. Since the focal length f of a lens is dependent on the refractive index n, different wavelengths of light will be focused on different positions.

Thank you. I have a Hensoldt 6-24x72 and have had it for a couple of years. I've probably put 500 rounds under it, 100 from my 30-378, and I never noticed that, but then I wasn't looking for it either - I didn't know what it was. My turret indicator lines line up perfectly with the turret value lines.

Thank you. I have a Hensoldt 6-24x72 and have had it for a couple of years. I've probably put 500 rounds under it, 100 from my 30-378, and I never noticed that, but then I wasn't looking for it either - I didn't know what it was. My turret indicator lines line up perfectly with the turret value lines.

May I ask you a question. I did not know what that meant either, but, If I were looking through my scope at a OD Green Target @ 1000yds. What would the CA look like? what would I be seeing or nor seeing?

In optics, chromatic aberration (CA, also called achromatism or chromatic distortion) is a type of distortion in which there is a failure of a lens to focus all colors to the same convergence point. It occurs because lenses have a different refractive index for different wavelengths of light (the dispersion of the lens). The refractive index decreases with increasing wavelength.

Chromatic aberration manifests itself as "fringes" of color along boundaries that separate dark and bright parts of the image, because each color in the optical spectrum cannot be focused at a single common point. Since the focal length f of a lens is dependent on the refractive index n, different wavelengths of light will be focused on different positions.

Now this is better: Contributing to the forum in a positive way and instead of being an ass arguing with everyone who's viewpoint differed from yours. Thank you for seeing the light Phillip.

And it is totally cool to get information and then share it. Thus the reason for this forum, right?

May I ask you a question. I did not know what that meant either, but, If I were looking through my scope at a OD Green Target @ 1000yds. What would the CA look like? what would I be seeing or nor seeing?

Perhaps it would be helpful to actually read the second paragraph of the stuff that you copy-and-pasted from Wikipedia.

Every NXS I have used said "made in Japan." That may only be true of the NXS.

heres what they say.......Some of our optics are engraved with “Made in USA” while others are engraved with “Made in Japan.” The country of origin for the source of the primary core components of the optics requires the appropriate “Made in” designation.

We have worked with the premier Japanese firm since our earliest days, as they have proven time and again to be industry leaders in optical design and manufacturing. It has always been the Nightforce Optics goal to build and offer the best optics in the world. With that said, all of the final assembly and quality assurance testing to guarantee Nightforce Optics standards is conducted at our factory in Orofino, Idaho. All service, modifications and warranty work is performed in our Idaho facility as well.

Hope this helps.

More and more NF scopes are being marked "Made in USA" they have greatly expanded what carries that label.

1393572_635488503141343_1335973405_n.jpg

The BEAST is no exception... As well you will see others going forward with it on there too.

Many of the lines have been updated, glass spec's changed, coatings added to include that "pop" people are looking for, same thing with Vortex they are beginning to add parts made in the US to their new lines. Not enough to mark it USA but every new line has more and more.

Beside, who the hell cares, the scopes are solid and as already been discussed many of the best optics come from Japan. Where the hell to you think all this High Def Film and TV stuff come from ... Last time I checked, Sony, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Alexa, etc wasn't made in Europe.

I don't consider "made in Japan" a mark of inferiority. As far as I'm concerned, the Japanese make outstanding stuff. Made in Japan is as good as made in USA or made in Germany. I use a Sightron SIII, which is made in japan, and it is a fantastic optic for the money. I'm glad that NF is moving more production stateside though.

However, if an optic says "made in China" then I'd RUN!

Back a few years ago when we shot for NF we were told the compact and F1 line were made in the USA and the NXS series were made in Japan. Hopefully they are moving more production stateside but it wouldn't make a difference as long as QC is there.

I read it, and it really made no sense to me, Therefore the question still stands.

It is most notable with a white target than any other color. You will see purple around the edges of the target. White seems to exaggerate the issue. I was using a henny on a bench rest range with a lot of white targets. The ca was so bad it was distracting.

It is most notable with a white target than any other color. You will see purple around the edges of the target. White seems to exaggerate the issue. I was using a henny on a bench rest range with a lot of white targets. The ca was so bad it was distracting.

Would it be a fair or unfair statement to then say it mostly effects bench rest shooters and not so much tactical shooters?

Would it be a fair or unfair statement to then say it mostly effects bench rest shooters and not so much tactical shooters?

I can't really say as I am not a bench rest shooter and that scope may have just been a really bad example. My guess is that it would be more distracting for a tactical shooter. Most of the bench rest matches at my club are at 100 and the shooters are probably zoomed all the way in only seeing the white. I would think most hensoldts are not that bad seeing how so many talk up the glass in them.

My Kowa spotter suffers from the disease.

I get a nice purple ring where the black bull meets buff paper. Its only real ass ache for me is seeing shot holes on the edge of the buff/black. It seems to create a blind zone.

Its slightly annoying to me laying on my gut taking a leisurely shoot at a static target. I have to think it could be distracting in a tactical situation.

I read it, and it really made no sense to me, Therefore the question still stands.

So you're posting stuff that you don't understand? Nice.

And if you don't understand something as basic as CA and how to determine if a scope is affected by it, then why are you attempting to offer your opinions on matters related to optical equipment?

I can't really say as I am not a bench rest shooter and that scope may have just been a really bad example. My guess is that it would be more distracting for a tactical shooter. Most of the bench rest matches at my club are at 100 and the shooters are probably zoomed all the way in only seeing the white. I would think most hensoldts are not that bad seeing how so many talk up the glass in them.

Thanks for the input, its much appreciated.

I've owned about 7 various IOR scopes all pre 2009 all brand new and had 6 problems all different some happened straight away some after 200-300 rounds. problems from, parallax shit its self, Mag ring froze, wouldn't hold zero track etc, erector locked up, main tube unscrewed from erector housing, undoing a sunshade the objective lens came loose.

I can't comment on newer versions but i have no confidence in them at all

Then why did you keep buying them??? I can understand buying a 2nd one thinking the first one having problems was a fluke. But seven??? That's your own fault.

A lot of people got several warranty replacement scopes that kept breaking over and over that's how you end up with 7 iors

How do they manage to stay in business with products like that?

They stay in business the same as any company, offering a quality product ant a competitive price.
You guys kill me. Scope companies have sold thousands and thousands of scopes around the world. The people that post on this site is not even a drop in the ocean of buyers of these scopes. Obviously there are thousands of people around the world ( like me and several others here) that have experienced zero issues with their scope of choice. Just because a few posters on this site have had a bad scope is in no way indicative of the overall product.

The problems with IOR are not anecdotal. Put down your shovel.

I don't even know what you just said?

Lets use some common sense. If a company produced more bad parts that good parts then obviously they could not sustain the business. So the fact that the IOR brand has been around for years would seem to point out that the percentage of buyers that have bought a product that they were happy with vastly out numbers the percentage of buyers that bought one they were unhappy with.

How do they manage to stay in business with products like that?

guys like phillip61 buy 'em and when it costs you $54.21 to make the damn thing you can afford to send out a few replacements to people who actually get out and shoot/break them.

Obviously there are thousands of people around the world ( like me and several others here) that have experienced zero issues with their scope of choice. Just because a few posters on this site have had a bad scope is in no way indicative of the overall product.

That may be but with all of the excellent choices that we have out there in today's market I will gladly take my business elsewhere.

With all due respect...the years that you are a government owned and run weapons accessory manufacturer in a communist country should not count towards your grand total of years subject to the deliterious effects of bad reputation.

That may be but with all of the excellent choices that we have out there in today's market I will gladly take my business elsewhere.

That is the beauty of having choice. But because your choice is different doesn't make my choice wrong.

With all due respect...the years that you are a government owned and run weapons accessory manufacturer in a communist country should not count towards your grand total of years subject to the deliterious effects of bad reputation.

Good point. However it sure does make for an awful big hill to climb.

That is the beauty of having choice. But because your choice is different doesn't make my choice wrong.

Your absolutely right. I'm not here to IOR bash. I hope that they find a way to put all of the negativity behind them. The more quality choices we have the better.

Your absolutely right. I'm not here to IOR bash. I hope that they find a way to put all of the negativity behind them. The more quality choices we have the better.

That is what I'm talking about. Having quality competition makes everyone better and that equals more and better choices for the consumer.

If you don't possess the knowledge necessary to make an informed decision, your certainly can't make a "right" choice.

That's the thing. Not everybody can afford to make mistakes like that. So we have to rely on the experience that others have chosen to share. Over the 10 years I've been on this site I have watched the drama around different companies and because of this I have no choice but to avoid them.

If you don't possess the knowledge necessary to make an informed decision, your certainly can't make a "right" choice.

"Right", of course, being defined as what the cool kids own this week. Bonus points for managing to own/possess pre-production examples of "the best thing ever"

Want to own something different? Look forward to:

1) Being called an idiot
2) Being told you don't know how to use/adjust your scope

That's the thing. Not everybody can afford to make mistakes like that. So we have to rely on the experience that others have chosen to share. Over the 10 years I've been on this site I have watched the drama around different companies and because of this I have no choice but to avoid them.

I,m not going to argue that. If you feel you made the right choice then I'm 100% behind you. I just ask the same in return.

To be honest I did no research at all before I bought my scope. I had a Nikon 2.5-10 and wanted something different. I was on this site one day and someone mention the sample list that SWFA has. I went over there and found the 3.5-18X50 that I own today. I could not be happier. I fully understand what everyone else says about their individual experiences with the particular scope they had. But I have not had those same experiences. My scope works. I can't put it any planer that that. But when I post that others feel compelled to tell me I'm wrong, I made a bad choice, the scope sucks, the list goes on and on. The only thing I can say in return is the "truth", No, my choice was a good choice because my scope doesn't do all these things ya'll are saying your scopes did. People say I didn't make an "informed" decision. That would be correct. But the fact that my decision wasn't "informed" doesn't discount the fact that my scope works.

"Right", of course, being defined as what the cool kids own this week. Bonus points for managing to own/possess pre-production examples of "the best thing ever"

Want to own something different? Look forward to:

1) Being called an idiot
2) Being told you don't know how to use/adjust your scope

Bingo!

To get back to the S&B topic. I hope that many people run out and drop $7k on their new offerings. Especially if that means more 3-20's and 5-25's on the secondary market for us fodder. That's the only way I could afford one.

To get back to the S&B topic. I hope that many people run out and drop $7k on their new offerings. Especially if that means more 3-20's and 5-25's on the secondary market for us fodder. That's the only way I could afford one.

I'm having a rifle built as we speak. I wouldn't mind a used S&B sitting on it. But I think I would have to come across the deal of a lifetime to afford one.

I wouldn't count on the prices being under 3k.....just don't see if happening on the 5-25's.

I spoke with a salesperson at Eurooptic when I heard the rumor that the prices for the Schmidt and Benders 5-25/56mm PMII's are going up in price. He confirmed it but was unable to give me a solid figure. So it would appear that the price of used Schmidt and Bender stuff will go up also.

Purchasing a scope can be looked at like making an investment. I have yet to lose any money on a purchase of a new scope and then sale later. So I am not quite clear where you get the idea that someone will sell it at a loss for your gain.

Understood but hopefully it'll increase the numbers on the market. That's always good for the buyers.

The enemy of them dropping is S&B bumping up the price again. Kinda feels like the 5-25's are going to be +/- a few bills of 4k now :/

I'm having a rifle built as we speak. I wouldn't mind a used S&B sitting on it. But I think I would have to come across the deal of a lifetime to afford one.

You know, I heard Valdada IOR scopes are good. I heard a lot of talk about them earlier in the thread. It was stated they are inexpensive, reliable and have incredible glass quality. Well… maybe 1 out of 3 ain't bad, right?

I spoke with a salesperson at Eurooptic when I heard the rumor that the prices for the Schmidt and Benders 5-25/56mm PMII's are going up in price. He confirmed it but was unable to give me a solid figure. So it would appear that the price of used Schmidt and Bender stuff will go up also.

Purchasing a scope can be looked at like making an investment. I have yet to lose any money on a purchase of a new scope and then sale later. So I am not quite clear where you get the idea that someone will sell it at a loss for your gain.

Nowhere in my post did I state that expected them to be cheaper than they are now. I merely stated that I hoped that the volume of ones available would go up.

I understand all too well how this game is played. When you have to constantly buy on the used market due to budget you get pretty good at it.

Understood but hopefully it'll increase the numbers on the market. That's always good for the buyers.

SWFA Sample llist has a 5-25 Demo-A for $3500, buts it's the only one they have. If they get swamped with them we may see a price break.

With the PMII's increasing in price like clockwork, S&B's can have good re-sale or even net you a profit. However, the farther you go down the ladder, the less return you'll see. If it's not a PMII, I think it's great if I see 75-80% of what I paid. Heck some pedestrian or entry-level optics you can't even give away.