• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope question- hunting related

GreyShirts

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
Oklahoma
Anyone here hunt(deer/coyote) with a SS 5-20x50 or the G2DMR 3.5-21x50? I'm curious if the SS beginning magnification of x5 was difficult on shots less than 100yrds, I'm thinking somewhere around 50yrds? I think the Bushnell has a way better magnification range, but for whatever reason I like the SS better. Maybe, because it has an illuminated reticle. If I could only incorporate the G2 reticle and magnification range from the Bushnell into the SS illuminated reticle and tube. Face it, the HDMR just looks funny. I had a Nikon that started at x4, and it didn't bother me on close in shots. Thanks for any input, and yes I moved it here from hunting forum...no one had any info.

Re: Scope question- hunting related

I deer hunt and don't ever use less than 5X magnification except when its getting dark and I need more light. The main question with either of those scopes would seem to be the minimum clear focal distance and the field of view. 50 yards is the minimum on some side-focus scopes.

I missed a deer two years ago because of a 4x. He came in pretty fast and went behind some trees I pulled the shotgun up and could not get on him in time because of field of view. Might have been a bit of buck fever too and he was a little closer than 50 yards maybe about 40 in this case. For what it is worth I got a 2-7 and it has not been past 3x in the area I hunt.

Good luck with your decision.

The SS has a minimum focus of 35 yards. At least that is what is marked on the dial.(And mine has been spot on according to my laser.) Your particular eyesight, and the diopter setting have A LOT to do with that... I have not had the chance to chase any coyotes since I got mine, but since the scope I had before it was a 10x SS I don't think it will be a problem for me...YMMV.

I REALLY don't think you should worry about 5x being too much magnification, especially at 50 yards. Practice finding random things in your scope. The important thing is really to look at the target first, then bring the scope to your eye. With very little practice you will be dead on every time. In the split second you're bringing your gun up, also practice making a mental picture of distinguishing features around your target, and you will find at least one of these in your scope if you are a little off the target. I would easily be confident shooting a coyote at 50 yards with a 10x scope, let alone a 5x. I shoot pests all the time at around 30 yards on 10x. If they are moving, especially through thick veg, that is another story, but even a moving coyote at 50 yards on 5x should be doable. You should be able to stop them most of the time anyway with a squeak or a bark.

I've killed elk at 35 & 75 yds with a 6-18 on my 7 wsm and never had an issue finding them in the scope (the 35 yd shot was an ear shot)